IGNORED

Tinnion And Millen

England

If the following quote is accurate, Tins thinks Connor was going to be his top coach, a good motivator, good with the kids and would help with planning how city play and be involved with the first team on match days - which leaves what for Millen?

Tins quoted in the Evening Post tonight :-

"Brian Tinnion insists he is in no rush to appoint a chief coach after losing out on the services of Terry Connor. The Bristol City manager has been searching for an experienced head to help himself and assistant boss Keith Millen on the training ground and at senior fixtures.

And it was Connor, the former City player and one-time No.2 to John Ward, who Tinnion identified as the ideal man to lend a hand.

Unfortunately for the Ashton Gate boss, his prime target has opted to stay at Championship outfit Wolves, where he continues to coach under the leadership of Glenn Hoddle.

Tinnion admitted his "disappointment" at his former Gate colleague's decision but stressed he was not about to draw up a list of possible alternatives. He explained: "Terry Connor was my No.1 target and he always has been.

"It's just that I know Terry and I like the way he operates. He is an extremely good coach and a real driver when it comes to motivating people.

"He is good with young players, too, which is important and I thought he would be a good person to bring in.

"He'd have been involved with the first team and in the planning of how we play and I am naturally very disappointed that he's staying where he is."

If the following quote is accurate, Tins thinks Connor was going to be his top coach, a good motivator, good with the kids and would help with planning how city play and be involved with the first team on match days - which leaves what for Millen?

Even more interesting - what of BT ?

This seems more of a Mnagers job discricption.

doh.gif

Even more interesting - what of BT ?

This seems more of a Mnagers job discricption.

doh.gif

Ah yes, I'm sure no coaches in any other clubs do anything like that do they?

It's a team effort Richie, bringing in someone with certain strengths doesn't preclude anyone else from having them does it?

Nibor

To use and out dated NHS managers description, its the "skill mix" that enables any team to blend and cover all the bases of the job description.

No one person has all the skills and even if they did they wouldn't have the time to utilise them all.Thats why management teams in virtually any job will have a blend of people with one person in overall charge of the department.Tinnion is in charge of the playing department and has a variety of staff with different skills to help him along.

Connor, in Tinnion's and many others view would have been a usefull addition to the staff.Shame he's staying at Wolves if your're a City fan.

Indeed, when he was at City, John Ward said that Terry Connor was great at developing individuals whilst Ward himself worked on the tactical elements.

Developing players is an aspect of coaching that's been sorely lacking over the past few years, and credit is due to Tinnion for acknowledging this.

Now that Connor has rejected City, Tinnion will have to look for someone else with similar talents, and there is no point in appointing anyone until someone with those talents is available.

Ah yes, I'm sure no coaches in any other clubs do anything like that do they?

It's a team effort Richie, bringing in someone with certain strengths doesn't preclude anyone else from having them does it?

Nibor

Yep, agree.

Was it our last manager who said that the success of any club is having a strong coaching staff ?

I believe we still need an experienced coach.

Conner could have been the answer.

Dave Bassett would have been a good appt as well.

To use and out dated NHS managers description, its the "skill mix" that enables any team to blend and cover all the bases of the job description.

No one person has all the skills and even if they did they wouldn't have the time to utilise them all.Thats why management teams in virtually any job will have a blend of people with one person in overall charge of the department.Tinnion is in charge of the playing department and has a variety of staff with different skills to help him along.

Connor, in Tinnion's and many others view would have been a usefull addition to the staff.Shame he's staying at Wolves if your're a City fan.

Ah,that old chestnut - teamwork.

Working as a unit,bonding & utilisation of skillbase. doh.gif

Here we have a case of needing an experienced head to learn & develop new skills to the inexperience we have.

Then perhaps we can cover the overall skill base that is required.

As you say - pity we missed out on TC as he could have brought some key skills to the developing management team.

Yep, agree.

Was it our last manager who said that the success of any club is having a strong coaching staff ?

I believe we still need an experienced coach.

Conner could have been the answer.

Dave Bassett would have been a good appt as well.

Why not say you agree with Tinnion then instead of making yet another thinly veiled dig at the manager?

By the way, who was on the "strong coaching staff" of our last manager?

Nibor

Why not say you agree with Tinnion then instead of making yet another thinly veiled dig at the manager?

Agree with BT on what ? What I agree with is that we desperately need an experienced coach/tactician/motivator to drive us forward this coming season.

Not sure why it's a veiled dig at the management.

Responding to the job discription laid down by BT. It is a team game, but as England put it, the comments made by BT were as if the current set up was far too inexperienced to deal with some KEY aspects of Football Management.

By the way, who was on the "strong coaching staff" of our last manager?

DW himself was an experienced coach & was backed up by the very experienced & respected Assistant Manager/coach in Frank Barlow. Something we missed badly last season. We were left with the junior coach's of the set up & no experience.

Nibor

DW himself was an experienced coach & was backed up by the very experienced & respected Assistant Manager/coach in Frank Barlow. Something we missed badly last season. We were left with the junior coach's of the set up & no experience.

So how come we still didn't see players progress once they made the first team?

Danny and Frank may have been good organisers and tacticians but I don't think either had the ability to coach individuals that someone like Terry Connor has.

So how come we still didn't see players progress once they made the first team?

Danny and Frank may have been good organisers and tacticians but I don't think either had the ability to coach individuals that someone like Terry Connor has.

Don't think you will find this is correct.

You will find that many of the senior professionals held DW/FB in very high regard.

A major reason why BT has struggled to get the senior pros motivated.

BT worked with the younger players & has done well to bring them through. As I have stated on numerous occasions, I reckon BT should have cut his teeth as Aademy Manager.

There appeared to be a few little issues between the Academy & 1st team.

I would say a break down in communications whistling.gif

You have to earn respect in management. Something DW/FB had.

TC has also earn't respect & would have been a good addition.

Don't think you will find this is correct.

You will find that many of the senior professionals held DW/FB in very high regard.

They can hold him in as high regard as they like for all I care. I still saw little or no improvement in the players during his time in charge.

Only Murray really improved during Wilson's tenure and even he didn't really improve technically, he was just well utilised by Wilson.

All the others stayed much the same over the 4 years.

Agree with BT on what ? What I agree with is that we desperately need an experienced coach/tactician/motivator to drive us forward this coming season.

Pretty much exactly what Tinnion described Connor as therefore you're agreeing with him.

Not sure why it's a veiled dig at the management.

Feel free to explain how your first post was anything but a dig at Tinnion.

Responding to the job discription laid down by BT. It is a team game, but as England put it, the comments made by BT were as if the current set up was far too inexperienced to deal with some KEY aspects of Football Management.

Tinnion hasn't laid down a job description he simply explained the qualities he thoght Connor would add to the team. Yes he's inexperienced and was the first to admit it, there's no shame in looking to strengthen the management team. The ability to recognise your weaknesses and improve on them is essential to learning. I don't think a manager whose team finishes 7th in his first ever season is incapable of dealing with KEY aspects of football. He has some things to learn certainly but you overstate it dramatically.

You obviously have an entirely different view on what respect is to me. I don't call the entire squad failing to turn up for the biggest game of their careers a sign of respect.

While Tinnion might have one or two players who make it difficult for him to manage them at least he's actually dealt with it rather than ignore it like the previous incumbent. I'm willing to bet you'll find the 95% of the squad who are capable of being professional have alot of respect for him, more so since the problems with Cole and Doherty.

DW was once in the same position as Tinnion and after a short bit of glory has gone only downwards in his career. He was and will continue to be a good manager but aside from cleaning up the Pulis mess he did no better than OK here.

I don't necessarily disagree with you that the job should have been advertised and perhaps Tinnion should have started off a bit lower on the ladder, but... the fact is it's done now and I have no idea how the negativity is meant to help.

Nibor

Archived