IGNORED

Harry Potter

One Team In Keynsham

The films don't do the books justice, they cut so much out of the films, I'm dreading the book 4 film, because I don't know how they will squash so much into one movie. I havent been that impressed with the films for this reason.

Read the books - well worth it!

Dollymarie

The films don't do the books justice, they cut so much out of the films, I'm dreading the book 4 film, because I don't know how they will squash so much into one movie.  I havent been that impressed with the films for this reason.

Read the books - well worth it!

Dollymarie

Hmm, take your word for it. It's always the case when successful books become films. I have to confess to seeing every film (they seem to get worse progressively) but never having read the books themselves.

I actually like the films, even though they're not that great - they remind me of the "good old days" that weren't really all that good, when I was at a school not too dissimilar to Hogwarts (!) and I enjoyed stories about magic and heroic kids. A bit of escapism does you no harm at all.

The books are great, I didn't 'discover' them until about two years ago. Many people I know who ridicule them haven't actually read them.

The films are just woeful in comparison. I would say a big part of that is Daniel Radcliffe, who can't act to save his life. The other kids are great, but it's hard to keep a movie going when the central character couldn't act like a tree if he tried.

I'm half way through book 5 and have brought the lastest too. I only read the 1st one last year, I thought I'd read it just because mt children were chatting about it. I thought they would be rubbish due to all the hype surrounding them. But they are really good.

The films are rubbish in comparison as the books require you to use your imagination. Like people have said the films don't do the books justice. I'm not a huge fan of fiction and a book must be really good for me to stick with it, and I have.

As for them being 'childrens books', I suppose essentially they are. Older children though as the books are quite wordy and a bit scarey in some parts, or is that my good imagination? Anyway why do they do a choice of covers for the books, there is one for adults, if they only intend children to read them?

I wish I had thought of writing about a boy wizard though, I could be chair(woman) of BCFC by now it I had! biggrin.gif

Something I noticed a little while ago that took the shine off HP

Has anyone read the graphic novel 'The Books Of Magic' by Neil Gaiman? Published by DC Vertigo?

Young boy learning magic

Aged about 11ish

short hair and glasses

pet owl

The books of magic were published in 1993

Harry Potter first publishe in 1997

user posted imageuser posted image

Make your own mind up

Guest MaloneFM

Potter-cack!

But I thought Bernard Hedges was pretty good and so was Miss Yuell. And Mr Price even thought he was Welsh. Made Grange Hill look cack.

Is this the Please Sir thread? blink.gif

I have just finished the new one, and they do get so much better after every one. They're awesome, the woman is a genius!

Struggle to see why you think because they're "A kids book" you think that they are not worth reading. Bit of a pathetic argument is it not? Like someone said... read them before you critisise...

Struggle to see why you think because they're "A kids book" you think that they are not worth reading. Bit of a pathetic argument is it not? Like someone said... read them before you critisise...

I've nothing against kids books. Reading 20 pages of a Mr Noisey story to my nephew can even be quite enjoyable at times. However, 300 pages of about the exploits of a schoolboy wizard just sounds like a load of nonsense, and whenever I see adults reading the book I cant help but think they'd be better off reading 'The Emperors new clothes'.

I've nothing against kids books.  Reading 20 pages of a Mr Noisey story to my nephew can even be quite enjoyable at times. However, 300 pages of about the exploits of a schoolboy wizard just sounds like a load of nonsense, and whenever I see adults reading the book I cant help but think they'd be better off reading 'The Emperors new clothes'.

Your making a prat out of yourself, read the books and you will find out why!

If harry potter was just a childrens book, it would not be flying off the shelves at the rate it is, nor would it get all the air-time it does.

The films are crap, but the books are gold.

Try it and you may just like it, open your mind!

If harry potter was just a childrens book, it would not be flying off the shelves at the rate it is, nor would it get all the air-time it does.

you really think?

you don't think that perhaps its success is down to brutal sales and advertising techniques which have convinced young people that buying this book at 12.01 on the day it is released will make them a more fulfilled and complete person???

The Potter phonomenon has been a calculated victory for the forces of consumerism. It's success is nothing to do with it being "not just a children's book". Of course it's a childrens book. How many books written for an older audience are about child wizards and quidditch matches?

Having said that, I do like reading childrens stories if they're well written. There's an innocence to them and usually some important underlying themes. Not to mention nostalgic quality...

I read the first one about a year after it came out and have read everyone since. The first three books were short and the last two (Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince) are both over 600 pages and both quite complex in places, it would take some children along time to read these booksamd i feel as the series goes on Rowling has made the books more in-depth and complex. I wont spoil the end of the 6th one but i cant see how she can finish the story in one book, she could write another 2 or 3 atleast.

I had never seen any of the films so the other day i decided to download them (legally whistling.gif ) and they were average. The actor who played the main role was terrible in the first two but may improve in the fourth one (November/ December). Apart from him the majority of the characters played their part well.

I've nothing against kids books. Reading 20 pages of a Mr Noisey story to my nephew can even be quite enjoyable at times.

I'm with you on Mr Noisey and any of the other Mr Men books for that matter. Never quite saw the point of the Little Misses meself.

Best bit about reading the Mr Men books to my kids was perfecting the Arthur Lowe impression. Drove my wife to distraction and made the kids look at me askance, but hey, I had a wail of a time!

As for Harry Potter, although I can have a tendency to be cynical, they are very easy to read even if they are a little bit predictable.

Scooter Red (Mr Two Stroke)

you really think? 

you don't think that perhaps its success is down to brutal sales and advertising techniques which have convinced young people that buying this book at 12.01 on the day it is released will make them a more fulfilled and complete person???

The Potter phonomenon has been a calculated victory for the forces of consumerism.  It's success is nothing to do with it being "not just a children's book".  Of course it's a childrens book.  How many books written for an older audience are about child wizards and quidditch matches?

Having said that, I do like reading childrens stories if they're well written.  There's an innocence to them and usually some important underlying themes.  Not to mention nostalgic quality...

There was no publicity untill around the 4th book, this was when talk of films for the series came around. Obviousley(sp) there are those that have since got caught up in the hype and queue up for hours, but the main bulk of sales will be from those that like a good read.

There was no publicity untill around the 4th book, this was when talk of films for the series came around. Obviousley(sp) there are those that have since got caught up in the hype and queue up for hours, but the main bulk of sales will be from those that like a good read.

Depends what you call "publicity". I was working in a school in 2000 and all the hype was about Harry Potter. And not just from the kids either. I'm not suggesting that it was hyped commercially from day one, it wasn't, but for whatever reason it got a lot of media attention, it was really pushed in school as a great new educational book and it just seemed to take off.

It's not as if there's anything remotely NEW in the books. The idea of good v evil, nice kids v bad kids, child heroes etc., is old hat really. Likewise, even the more inventive elements of the book, e.g. boggarts, dobbies and the like are derived from traditional folklore. This kind of stuff has been around for centuries but nobdoy saw it as a great sales pitch. It's just been presented in a new cover and this makes all the difference????

Archived