IGNORED

Hope The Weather Holds Out.

A Horse With No Name

Just hoping that the bad weather we are in for over the next few days doesn't materialise. We are due for snow on Tuesday and Wednesday which could put our game against Colchester in doubt. It's not just the pitch these days that has to be in safe condition, it's the stands, car parks, etc. Also we travel north on Saturday to play Grimsby, the supposedl;y worst affected area of the country. The last thing we need, now that we're on a roll is disruption due to the weather, which could also aid QPR by giving them time to get their wounded troops fit.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I was hoping it was going to snow, I love football when its been snowing - All the snow balls flying about - But I expect the stewards lack the humour to see snowball throwing as a bit of fun.

Guest Dolman Moaner

I know that we invested in those "frost covers" some years ago which should help, but if it gets as cold as is forecasted, we could be in trouble and that's without the snow.

Still, Neo has a big blanket and careless hands :D

Hopefully the Met Office have got thier forcast right this time.

They predict snow for the North and East which means that we should miss it.One thing for sure though' - its going to be very chilly.Ashton Gate pitch may required covering to protect it against frost.

I know that we invested in those "frost covers" some years ago which should help, but if it gets as cold as is forecasted, we could be in trouble and that's without the snow.

Well put it this way, the pitch was covered with something yesterday. I think it must have been the covers, as the I don't think there was enough frost to cover the pitch the way it was covered.

Let's not forget that we have good groundsmen who are probably already ahead of the weather.

Guest Harry May

Went up to Stoke a few years back , over the Christmas period . I can clearly remember snow drifts either side of the motorway . When we got to the Britainia ,we drove a bit further up the road and parked in a little industrial estate.

There were several inches of snow in the car park and the walk to the ground was bl00dy freezing.

The pitch was cleared of all snow , but there was snow right up to the white lines.

I can remember the PA guy thanking all the City fans for braving the journey up.

Still , we went on to lose 1-0 - conceeding a goal in the 80th min or something like that.

I have never been so cold at a football match.

Caldicot Reed.

They predict snow for the North and East which means that we should miss it.One thing for sure though' - its going to be very chilly.Ashton Gate pitch may required covering to protect it against frost.

No they dont. they predict the areas at most risk of travel disruption or disruption to infrastructure to be in the north and the east. It could and likely will snow anywhere at some time this week

Guest eviltaxman

The other year when the country got hit by snow... there were 5 foot drifts in the east and all over really, except Bristol. We always seem to miss the "good stuff". The whole country can get snowed in, but Bristol, Bath & surrounding areas rarely get it bad.... something to do with the hills around this neck of the woods.

My prediction (wrong forum?!?!) is for damn cold weather, icy patches and severe frost. Any takers?

But we can always hope for a "snow day", as the Americans call it!! :D

Met Office Press Release:

ADVANCE WARNING OF SEVERE WEATHER

Here is an ADVANCED WARNING of Heavy Snow affecting Scotland, Northern Ireland, England and Wales.

Issued by the Met Office at 09:36 on Sunday, 25 January 2004.

This warning is the second update to that issued at 09:00 on Friday 23 January 2004.

Much colder weather will begin to spread south across the country on Monday and the Met Office is expected substantial snowfall in some areas. Accumulations exceeding 10cm are likely in places with drifting where strong northerly winds develop. It is still difficult to predict where the heaviest falls will occur, but the risk remains greater from Tuesday onwards. Eastern and northern areas appear most at risk, and there is a risk of exceptionally severe conditions with accumulations of more than 15cm. Dangerous driving conditions are expected and some untreated roads are likely to become impassable.

For inquires regarding this warning - please contact your regional Met Office.

Transmitted by the Met Office, at 09:36 on Sunday 25 January

This warning will be updated around 09:00 tomorrow Monday 26 January 2004.

Guest eviltaxman
Much colder weather will begin to spread south across the country on Monday and the Met Office is expected substantial snowfall in some areas. Accumulations exceeding 10cm are likely in places with drifting where strong northerly winds develop. It is still difficult to predict where the heaviest falls will occur, but the risk remains greater from Tuesday onwards. Eastern and northern areas appear most at risk, and there is a risk of exceptionally severe conditions with accumulations of more than 15cm. Dangerous driving conditions are expected and some untreated roads are likely to become impassable.

And for those that would like the English translation (not this European metric stuff..... showing my age again)....

4 inches & 6 inches = enough to bring this country to a stand still.

And another Met Office release:

Sunday 25 January:

Snow is expected to fall in many parts of the UK this week. The snow risk will initially be greatest over the north of Scotland, but will extend further south through Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Heavy falls are possible, especially in areas exposed to the north.

Also, havent we got Under Soil Heating? Surely that would help the inevitable frost on the Pitch?
Several years ago, we had our pitch totally relaid, and in the process had underground drainage channells installed, to help avert waterlogging. It was looked into about installing undersoil heating as well, but it was deemed too expensive. A lot of people seem to think that this was what we had installed at this time.

Here is a good weather site. It does an hour by hour forcast. At the moment it shows snow until 3.00pm on Tuesday and then brighter but cold. I was told in geography whilst at school that we don't get much snow around these parts as we have so much water around us!

http://uk.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/U...your=14&begDay=27

Here is a good weather site. It does an hour by hour forcast. At the moment it shows snow until 3.00pm on Tuesday and then brighter but cold. I was told in geography whilst at school that we don't get much snow around these parts as we have so much water around us!

Its a combination of things. We never do that well for snow here out of a northerly flow as we have too much shelter from the welsh mountains.

With a westerly flow which is usually mild anyway, the warmer, moister air is drawn in off the Atlantic. Thats what you are probably refering too.

For real snowfall in these parts you need an easterly flow off of a cold continent and low pressure systems to move across the country from the Atlantic. As they do so they come up against the cold air over the country and the precipitation readily turns to snow. Its a situation though that happens rarely nowadays because of our changing climate

Guest eviltaxman
Its a combination of things. We never do that well for snow here out of a northerly flow as we have too much shelter from the welsh mountains.

With a westerly flow which is usually mild anyway, the warmer, moister air is drawn in off the Atlantic. Thats what you are probably refering too.

For real snowfall in these parts you need an easterly flow off of a cold continent and low pressure systems to move across the country from the Atlantic. As they do so they come up against the cold air over the country and the precipitation readily turns to snow. Its a situation though that happens rarely nowadays because of our changing climate

I think somebody studied too well at school!

I look out the window, if I see clouds/rain... I drive. if it's dry I ride my bike.

Or, you could do what I do.

I look out of a window and, if it's hot and sunny, I wear a t-shirt or, if it's cold and/or wet I wear a coat, and, if it's particularly chilly, a hat and, in extreme circumstances, gloves.

I'm no expert, but it works for me.

Guest eviltaxman
We should play anyway if it snows. If the Yanks are tough enough...... :D

Yeah, but they wear namby pamby protection (just like the poofs up north - refering to Rugby League... but it's all egg chasing!)

Or, you could do what I do.

I look out of a window and, if it's hot and sunny, I wear a t-shirt or, if it's cold and/or wet I wear a coat, and, if it's particularly chilly, a hat and, in extreme circumstances, gloves.

I'm no expert, but it works for me.

The problem with that Huw is I used to do exactly that and wear a T-Shirt whenever the bloke opposite me wore one. I eventually wound up with hypothermia.

The man in the T-Shirt was some guy called Buster Footman :D

Archived