IGNORED

Richard Latham - Surprise Surprise

richieb

What is this guy like !!

Has to be having a laugh. biggrin.gif

We all know the reason RL wants JW. He is so media friendly & RL has always had an love affair with JW.

In local Sunday Independant, RL has a massive front page pic of JW.

And cites why we should get him back.

Reasons:-

1. quick fix. JW knows the club. ranting.gif

Exactly a reason we don't want to go back in time - we want a fresh face with fresh ideas - the club need a wake up - NOT familiar face.

2. JW is proven at this level. ranting.gif

Again looking at historics at what he did with us in 97. But hasn't achieved anything since - thats nearly 10 years ago.

3. Known to work with young players - had TD & Matt Hewlett. ranting.gif

And TD apart where are these lads now. ? It's the senior players we need someone experienced to manage.

4. Accommodate in wage structure. Too expensive to bring in experienced failed manager ? ranting.gif

Cheap option. And daming any other candidate that is out of work

5. JW is quality Coach working within budget - look at City cast-offs Spencer & Odejayi. Proving this at Cheltenham. ranting.gif

Always beileve JW is at his best in lower leagues - for christ sake players like this arn't anything but 2nd Div quality. And where are Cheltenham - Middle of Div 2 & won one more game than us !!

6. Easy going & easy to work with. Will be good to bring on a young coach. ranting.gif

We need someone to shake these players up. Experienced, respected & someone with discipline skills. Not a 'happy go lucky coach'

7. Worked with Stewart at Gas. Where he scored 54 goals in 2 seasons. 94-96. ranting.gif

Again 10 years ago. I am sure MS still holds JW in high asteem. But we can't look back too far. Rediculous reason. MS will score goals when he gets the service.

8. JW has good relationship with Murray & Carey. ranting.gif

So did BT. We want a tactician & motivator, not the friendly society.

9. JW is a known quality & will get warm reception. Can't afford another mistake. ranting.gif

Never go back in football - never go for an easy option. The JW of then may not be a JW of today. We want Championship. JW has never managed above this level.

10. City say they want experience & someone to work with a young coach. How many other candidates offer this. ranting.gif

Think this show up Mr Latham for is blinkered views. He has a mission to bring his 'media friendly' mate back. And hasn't even bothered to mention any other managers that could bring something to AG.

If we have to pay compensation - why not Martin Allen ? Gary Johnson ? Keith Curle ? etc etc. No Latham has a love for JW ! disapointed2se.gif

11. JW should have never left in the 1st place. We lost a lot of goodwill with other clubs when JW went. Pulis found that other clubs wouldn't do us favours because of what happened to JW. The board have the chance to right the wrong. ranting.gif

This has to be the biggest load of B011icks Latham has spurted out. JW had lost his way & this comment by him is getting his persoanl feelings in the way of what was/is best for the club. And Latham is trusting what Pulis said dance.gif

I still can't believe this reason. disapointed2se.gif

12. The list of other candidates hardly makes scintillating reading. ranting.gif

Is this a joke !!! Try & think outside the narrow mind of your love for JW. You have continually spurted on about him since he left. There are some experienced managers that have achieved far more that JW will ever achieve. He bottled it once & he would do it again. Yes JW is a nice guy. Spoke to him a number of times & is a real likeable guy.

But we have been there done it & maybe suffering as a result.

Didn't he shoot off on hols & left a shopping list for the board to sign ? All forwards - when we needed midfielders ?

We can't look back - we have to move forward & JW would be a cushy appt that reflects what we tried to achieve with BT.

I would be surprised if SL went for this option as he could probably bring BT back in the fold.

We have a major chance to wipe the coaching staff clean & build with some experience. Remove all the familiarity & bring in someone who can shake this playing/coaching staff up.

Someone to bring the smile back to Ashton Gate.

Funny, at yesterdays game - your column was mentioned & the guy was spot on.

Latham will go for Ward. Easy option.

Guest routabout

11: Nothing to do with Pulis being a despisable toerag, that most people involved in football wouldn't want to have any dealings with then?

Latham, you know nothing! Keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.

11: Nothing to do with Pulis being a despisable toerag, that most people involved in football wouldn't want to have any dealings with then?

Latham, you know nothing! Keep your ridiculous opinions to yourself.

Exaclty - How can RL believe this!

Pulis was the problem - not JW jumping ship.

What is Richard Latham's background? I'm curious as to how it was ever decided that his opinion is one that is worth airing in the press and giving so many column inches to.

I read the column in TheSunday Independent and was equally unimpressed. Ward would be a step backwards for this club

But the difference being that RL wants stories & a professional relationship.

We are the FANS.

Surely its more of what we want.

Not what an employee & journo wants?

doh.gif

It is no suprise to see Latham supporting Ward as the new man at AG.He's always been consistant in his admiration for Ward and we predicted in the SC yesterday what the theme in todays Independant article would be about.

What Latham remarkedly omits is the nature of Wards departure from AG in the first place....a man who openly admitted that he was out of his depth and essentially walked away.

Guest routabout
It is no suprise to see Latham supporting Ward as the new man at AG.He's always been consistant in his admiration for Ward and we predicted in the SC yesterday what the theme in todays Independant article would be about.

What Latham remarkedly omits is the nature of Wards departure from AG in the first place....a man who openly admitted that he was out of his depth and essentially walked away.

In less words:

John Ward is renowned for his lack of 'bottle'.

This club, in it's current position and with it's current playing staff, needs an experienced, respected, but above all strong and brave manager, to turn things around.

Neither John Ward OR for that matter Lennie Lawrence, fit that bill.

And people wonder why some of us are getting so angry? I think it's very understandable!

PS. Talking about former staff's involvement with the club, I find it somewhat questionable that nobody has any opposing views to this very forum being owned by a company that is one half Scott Davidson's Surely a conflict of interests?

Guest MaloneFM

12. Is a media kissass so Latham will always get a decent quote or exclusive without having to work too hard for it.

'Hello John, its your mate Rich-I got you your job back? Yes that's right, anything you'd like to tell me, and me alone?'

The man who signed Carl Hutchings and Julian Watts?

The man who inherited Goater, Shaun Taylor and £750k, through the sale of Barnard, £400k of which he then spent on Steve Torpey?

The man who has only actually managed Cheltenham Town in the 8 years since he left us?

The man who said "I need help" less than a third of the way through that terrible 98/99 season?

The man who will apparently get the best out of Murray and Carey, too (which is supposition, not a fact).

Someone who, despite what Latham says, has never kept a club in the division above the one we're currently in.

Someone we'd have to pay compensation for! So if we were going to do that, why not get John Robertson or Martin Allen instead then?

This crush reminds me of when I was 14, I know you're in love with him, Richard, but this is embarrassing.

Appointing John Ward would be no better than the decision to appoint Brian Tinnion. So what, he is a nice guy, won us promotion many years ago, and even waves to the crowd. But this type of bloke is not what is required at the club right now.

How does the saying go? "Familiarity breeds contempt" I think. What we need is a complete outsider who has no axe to grind with anybody (which could also read as not being best mates with anybody either) and will look at the squad and coaching set up from a totally fresh perspective. Only then can the difficult decisions that need to be made regarding the under achieving players and staff of this football club be made.

Taxi for Latham.

What is this guy like !!

We all know the reason RL wants JW. He is so media friendly & RL has always had an love affair with JW.

1. quick fix. JW knows the club.  ranting.gif

Exactly a reason we don't want to go back in time - we want a fresh face with fresh ideas - the club need a wake up - NOT  familiar face.

Again looking at historics at what he did with us in 97. But hasn't achieved anything since - thats nearly 10 years ago.

And TD apart where are these lads now. ? It's the senior players we need someone experienced to manage.

4. Accommodate in wage structure. Too expensive to bring in experienced failed manager ?  ranting.gif

5. JW is quality Coach working within budget - look at City cast-offs Spencer & Odejayi. Proving this at Cheltenham.  ranting.gif

Always beileve JW is at his best in lower leagues - for christ sake players like this arn't anything but 2nd Div quality. And where are Cheltenham - Middle of Div 2 & won one more game than us !!

6. Easy going & easy to work with. Will be good to bring on a young coach. ranting.gif

We need someone to shake these players up. Experienced, respected & someone with discipline skills. Not a 'happy go lucky coach'

7. Worked with Stewart at Gas. Where he scored 54 goals in 2 seasons. 94-96. ranting.gif

Again 10 years ago. I am sure MS still holds JW in high asteem. But we can't look back too far. Rediculous reason. MS will score goals when he gets the service.

8. JW has good relationship with Murray & Carey.  ranting.gif

9. JW is a known quality & will get warm reception. Can't afford another mistake. ranting.gif

Never go back in football - never go for an easy option. The JW of then may not be a JW of today. We want Championship. JW has never managed above this level.

10. City say they want experience & someone to work with a young coach. How many other candidates offer this. ranting.gif

Think this show up Mr Latham for is blinkered views. He has a mission to bring his 'media friendly' mate back. And hasn't even bothered to mention any other managers that could bring something to AG.

If we have to pay compensation - why not Martin Allen ? Gary Johnson ? Keith Curle ? etc etc. No Latham has a love for JW ! disapointed2se.gif

11. JW should have never left in the 1st place. We lost a lot of goodwill with other clubs when JW went. Pulis found that other clubs wouldn't do us favours because of what happened to JW. The board have the chance to right the wrong.  ranting.gif

This has to be the biggest load of B011icks Latham has spurted out. JW had lost his way & this comment by him is getting his persoanl feelings in the way of what was/is best for the club. And Latham is trusting what Pulis said  dance.gif

12. The list of other candidates hardly makes scintillating reading. ranting.gif

Is this a joke !!!  Try & think outside the narrow mind of your love for JW. You have continually spurted on about him since he left. There are some experienced managers that have achieved far more that JW will ever achieve. He bottled it once & he would do it again. Yes JW is a nice guy. Spoke to him a number of times & is a real likeable guy.

Didn't he shoot off on hols & left a shopping list for the board to sign ? All forwards - when we needed midfielders ?

We can't look back - we have to move forward & JW would be a cushy appt that reflects what we tried to achieve with BT.

I would be surprised if SL went for this option as he could probably bring BT back in the fold.

We have a major chance to wipe the coaching staff clean & build with some experience. Remove all the familiarity & bring in someone who can shake this playing/coaching staff up.

Totally agree - we need a new face who has NO CONNECTION with the club, no axe to grind, no hidden agenda and no "politics" to play - someone who can see the club through a fresh pair of eyes, surely if we have learned anything fom the tinnion era it is that we need someone new - If you use that logic we may as well bring back Alan Dicks - Hang on lads, I've got an idea...............

There was a thread posted on here from another forum witten by Rob Fernandes that criticized the way the club makes its' comfortable decisions when it comes to appointing staff.

Of course Latham wants Ward back. Why, is it because it's best for Bristol City? Of course not, it's because it's best for him.

I believe that's why Tinnion was appointed, not because it was right for Bristol City, but it was right for Stephen Lansdown.

This club needs a bomb underneath it to blow all the cosy, don't rock the boat, cronyism out of it that has held this club back for years. Right from the top, with The Lansdown/Laycock axis, through the whole coaching "set up" (now there's a term), to the likes of Murray/Carey homebirds who know how easy they've got it here, they couldn't get back quick enough.

Why, we even get rid of a manager and carry on paying him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

What is this guy like !!

Exactly a reason we don't want to go back in time - we want a fresh face with fresh ideas - the club need a wake up - NOT  familiar face.

4. Accommodate in wage structure. Too expensive to bring in experienced failed manager ?  ranting.gif

5. JW is quality Coach working within budget - look at City cast-offs Spencer & Odejayi. Proving this at Cheltenham.  ranting.gif

11. JW should have never left in the 1st place. We lost a lot of goodwill with other clubs when JW went. Pulis found that other clubs wouldn't do us favours because of what happened to JW. The board have the chance to right the wrong.  ranting.gif

This has to be the biggest load of B011icks Latham has spurted out. JW had lost his way & this comment by him is getting his persoanl feelings in the way of what was/is best for the club. And Latham is trusting what Pulis said  dance.gif

Is this a joke !!!  Try & think outside the narrow mind of your love for JW. You have continually spurted on about him since he left. There are some experienced managers that have achieved far more that JW will ever achieve. He bottled it once & he would do it again. Yes JW is a nice guy. Spoke to him a number of times & is a real likeable guy.

Spot on mate, when i was reading the sunday indy i just could not believe how desperate Latham had become dunno.gif . He wants a nice COSY manager who will give him soundbites etc. The club NEEDS A NEW DIRECTION MR LATHAM cant you see it ????. Oh, of course Mr Latham you work in and around the club don't you..... you don't want one of these NASTY managers who is going to make YOU WORK for your money do you mad.gif.

There was a thread posted on here from another forum witten by Rob Fernandes that criticized the way the club makes its' comfortable decisions when it comes to appointing staff.

Of course Latham wants Ward back. Why, is it because it's best for Bristol City? Of course not, it's because it's best for him.

I believe that's why Tinnion was appointed, not because it was right for Bristol City, but it was right for Stephen Lansdown.

This club needs a bomb underneath it to blow all the cosy, don't rock the boat, cronyism out of it that has held this club back for years. Right from the top, with The Lansdown/Laycock axis, through the whole coaching "set up" (now there's a term), to the likes of Murray/Carey homebirds who know how easy they've got it here, they couldn't get back quick enough.

Why, we even get rid of a manager and carry on paying him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't so serious, it would be laughable banghead.gif  banghead.gif  banghead.gif

Have to say, these words are becoming the real truth.

The bit about Carey/Murray. And a manager resigns, yet we keep paying him

An appt like Ward would just go too show what the club is all about.

I fear that a real experienced guy who wants his own team of coach's etc, won't be forthcoming as it will rock the 'comfort zone' within the club.

banghead.gif

Have to say, these words are becoming the real truth.

The bit about Carey/Murray. And a manager resigns, yet we keep paying him

An appt like Ward would just go too show what the club is all about.

I fear that a real experienced guy who wants his own team of coach's etc, won't be forthcoming as it will rock the 'comfort zone' within the club.

banghead.gif

Steve Lansdown suggested in his interview that a new man would be allowed to bring in his own team. Let's not prejudge the appointment because of the words of a hollowhead like Richard Latham. Not just yet anyway.

Steve Lansdown suggested in his interview that a new man would be allowed to bring in his own team. Let's not prejudge the appointment because of the words of a hollowhead like Richard Latham. Not just yet anyway.

Yep, your right.

Although RL works closely with the club & may have some idea as to how to influence.

Agree - lets not worry yet.

But there is a concern beginning to surface.

So JW can work with the young players can he? I recall (but do correct me if I'm wrong) a young, raw Jason Roberts who had pace, power scoring the last gasp winner for us against Oldham in 1997. JW left him out for the next match home to Carlilse. Roberts was not pleased and it showed .Then followed a period when Roberts decided to play for Grenada which Jw was dead against. Then came a falling out between the two and we lost Roberts who then ended up at the Gas ranting.gif . Big loss I thought at the time because you could see that the guy had something it just needed to be harnessed.

JW return must not happen .It wont work!

Mark Maghee for me and I'm banging that drum praying smiley.gif -he'll shake em up!!! but whoever it is 'hit the ground running' will be an understatement.. city.gif

What is this guy like !!

Great post totally agree... JW would be a shocking appointment...

I seem to remember Murray/Carey at their best under Wilson... Both had good seasons and left at near enough the same time! - WRONG LATHAM!

Also remember promotion season finishing as top goal-scoring team in division so it would be obvious for you manager to go out and sign Thorpe(at £1m over priced in my mind) - Soren Anderson (where is he now?) and Akinbiyi (his best signing) at a total of about £2.5m when what we needed to do was strengthen the squad in other areas (DEF & MID) - WRONG LATHAM!

Then lost his bottle and left us in the poo and we get relegated! - WRONG LATHAM

So Mr Latham save your thoughts on JW for JW and go blow smoke up eachothers bottoms!

AND NOT THE BOTTOMS OF SUPPORTERS OF BCFC... ranting.gif

We do not want John Ward as manager of this club again... mad.gif

Is he speaking for the club as Media Consultant or just himself?

There is a clear conflict of interest here - point 12 as good as says he's seen the list of candidates, two days earlier he was interviewing the chairman on the exact subject of the new manager and then straightaway he's trying to influence the appointment through his weekly column!

As for his argument, it makes for dismal reading even by the standards of our local hacks (David Foot excepted, very good piece in Friday's WDP again). Latham's desperate plea for his mate is sentimental in the extreme. All he is saying is let's wind the clock back and everything will be all cosy again ... no Dickie it will not - different time, different place ... reappointing Ward would only serve to reopen old wounds especially among the fanbase and that is the very last thing this club needs right now.

New brooms sweep cleaner than old ones!

Is he speaking for the club as Media Consultant or just himself?

There is a clear conflict of interest here - point 12 as good as says he's seen the list of candidates, two days earlier he was interviewing the chairman on the exact subject of the new manager and then straightaway he's trying to influence the appointment through his weekly column!

As for his argument, it makes for dismal reading even by the standards of our local hacks (David Foot excepted, very good piece in Friday's WDP again). Latham's desperate plea for his mate is sentimental in the extreme. All he is saying is let's wind the clock back and everything will be all cosy again ... no Dickie it will not - different time, different place ... reappointing Ward would only serve to reopen old wounds especially among the fanbase and that is the very last thing this club needs right now.

New brooms sweep cleaner than old ones!

Yep, so very well put.

And you are right - how does he know the other names ?

disapointed2se.gif

Yep, so very well put.

And you are right - how does he know the other names ?

disapointed2se.gif

Ironic that Richard Latham should criricise a list that doesn't exactly make for scintilating reading in his own list which doesn't make for scintilating reading.

As far as I can see Richard Latham has massively overstepped the mark in this article and Bristol City should sever all ties with a man so willing to abuse information gained from his connection to Bristol City the second he puts his 'freelance hack' hat on.

Ironic that Richard Latham should criricise a list that doesn't exactly make for scintilating reading in his own list which doesn't make for scintilating reading.

As far as I can see Richard Latham has massively overstepped the mark in this article and Bristol City should sever all ties with a man so willing to abuse information gained from his connection to Bristol City the second he puts his 'freelance hack' hat on.

If Ward does come out on top, then it will be more than Dickie Latham, that need to will have to watch out for some critism

biggrin.gif

Guest routabout

And ColinS stated that Latham was employed part time on the proviso that it doesn't interfere with his journalist role. How about the other way around? Well Colin?

With all respect to Colin, I'm sure he's making the club more money than they were before his arrival. But at what cost? Doesn't he realise that his new customers are football fans and not cricket fans? I'm sure that there are those who fall into both categories, but I'm also sure that as a whole, they are two quite different markets which need different approaches.

Archived