IGNORED

Bristol Rity/bristol Covers

Tinmansleftboot

A daft question, but one I was going to ask last week when Bristol football was a the lowest of low ebbs.

Both clubs had no manager. Both clubs near the bottom of their respective divisions. Attendances falling!

It looked bleak.

Anyway, in an attempt to gain some kudos in the footballing world would any of you have parted with your hard earned cash to cheer on an almagamation of City and Rovers. The name of the club, the ground and the colour of the shirt would be irrelavant.

Just interested to know just how far fans would go in an attemp to bring 'GLORY' to Bristol football. I personally don't think its a viable option but over time I'm sure I could get behind Bristol Covers/Bristol Rity or even Real Bristol.

We only really have this discussion when City are in the doldrums. When we are looking good, we couldn't care less about The Gas (apart from the odd chortle). Yes in theory a great idea - now tell me, if Bristol United were to be created, what Divison would they start in? what would happen to the debt of the respective clubs? where would they play (to the satisfaction of both sets of fans)? and are you sure that the new club would be any more succesful than the two we have now?

Guest Tauntonman

Of course it makes sense. This city is not big enough to support two successful professional football clubs so merger is a possibility.

However, what if City under GJ reach the highest level and the Gas get relegated eventually to the Conference - never to return to league football.

That would solve the problem and we can keep the only club ever likely to survive in the Premiership - but I fear not at AG. We need a new stadium and I wonder of the board are re-considering building the new stand. After all, nothing has happened yet and frankly I don't believe that stuff about not finalising the catering contracts.

Hmmm - food for thought.

I'm not saying it would happen. Its a totally hypothetical question. As football is a tribal game I was just wondering if the tribal thing is restricted to the club within the city or is it a city wide tribalism.

In answer to your question. Yes. I do think the club would be financially better off. City get about 13/14000 on a good day and the Rovers have been known to get 8/9000. Thats 23,000 on a good day for the Rity. Anyway like i said its a totally hypothetical question with no right or wrong answers.

So what have Rovers got that City would want?

The Gas have no money,a dump for a stadium, only one decent player....

and Twatkins loaned him out to Aldershot :laugh:

williams imho

Of course it makes sense. This city is not big enough to support two successful professional football clubs so merger is a possibility.

However, what if City under GJ reach the highest level and the Gas get relegated eventually to the Conference - never to return to league football.

That would solve the problem and we can keep the only club ever likely to survive in the Premiership - but I fear not at AG. We need a new stadium and I wonder of the board are re-considering building the new stand. After all, nothing has happened yet and frankly I don't believe that stuff about not finalising the catering contracts.

Hmmm - food for thought.

what are you on about the city is not big enough to support two teams, Birmingham currently has 3 teams, manchester has two, london 6 or 7, Liverpool has 2 so the city is big enough, Newcastle, Sunderland very close and middlesboro not much further away. Bolton, Blackburn and wigan are all Local to each other and are far smaller than Bristol

All that is needed is a serious cash injection into the clubs which i think you will find most of the above have had, they also have very modern satdiums or facilities which attracts more people.

As much as i would dislike it and i think we would be better of doing it alone i would share a ground with Rovers if it was a modern 30,000 all seater.

Look at the attendences swansea are now getting? i know they are top of the division but that new ground also has something to do with more people attending games. Reading never used to get 15,000 at elm park either for that matter.

what are you on about the city is not big enough to support two teams, Birmingham currently has 3 teams, manchester has two, london 6 or 7, Liverpool has 2 so the city is big enough, Newcastle, Sunderland very close and middlesboro not much further away. Bolton, Blackburn and wigan are all Local to each other and are far smaller than Bristol

All that is needed is a serious cash injection into the clubs which i think you will find most of the above have had, they also have very modern satdiums or facilities which attracts more people.

As much as i would dislike it and i think we would be better of doing it alone i would share a ground with Rovers if it was a modern 30,000 all seater.

Look at the attendences swansea are now getting? i know they are top of the division but that new ground also has something to do with more people attending games. Reading never used to get 15,000 at elm park either for that matter.

That's not strictly true. Greater Manchester has three teams in the Premiership. Of course Bristol is big enough to sustain two clubs (as I said in my original post, we only have this argument when we're in the doldrums). The problem isn't the fact we could potentially attract 20 odd thousand fans (both Sheffield clubs do that anyway), but the fact that that neither Bristol club has had any sustained period of success, (very important) the facilities at the Mem are appalling, Ashton Gate is decaying, the City board constantly claim they will do better than the club actually manages to do, community relations aren't top class (see posting about black faces at Ashton Gate), catering is awful, and the product o the pitch in recent times has been sub standard.

There is no way I would support some sort of

combination team of City and rovers.They would

mean nothing to me regardless if they were

successful or not.I was aCity fan in 1982

and if we had gone under then that would

have been it for me and football.I am a

Bristol City FC supporter whatever division

we are in, who the manager is, or what

players we have.It is just something in

me that Ican't change, nor would Iwant to. :city::city::city:

Thats what i have said all along. If we have ambitions to get to the premiership one day we unfortunatly need to move away from Ashton Gate.

If we got to the premiership we could easilty attract over 40000+ fans every wekk and the roads in and around Ashton Gate wouldn't be able to handle the high volumes of traffic that would bring. The roads struggle as it is with just over 11000 trying to get in and out. Something the board needs to think about.

We have to move away because?

The stadium will have a 30,000 Capacticy.. Pompy get 19,000 every game.. and bolton who are high flyers are getting 25,000?

If we got to the premiership.. it would only bring people out of the woodwork in the purple city shirts with dust all over them calling themselfs 'City Faithful'

30,000 can hold a premiership club..

Funny that. because you supported city since 1987 when you registered......doh!!

If the powers that be decided to sleep together then I've no doubt the team that emerged - Bristol Bucaneers, Choclateers, Concordes or Slave Traders would gain a decent following. But I've no doubt that real supporters would do the same as Wimbledon and Manure fans and continue 100 years of tradition and set up a club ready to try to rise up the leagues so that in truth we'd end up with 3 Bristol clubs with half decent followings.

Lets face it we are in a better position to make the grade than the Gas, we've nothing to gain by joining with them and we've been in the top league for about every 11th or 12th season we have been in existance so we must be due a season in the limelight sooner or later. If it doesn't happen by promotion which would give us a season at the top then when Sky take over the FA we'll get first option on joining the Prem (with no relegation)while the Gas will be invited to be our feeder club.

So you would happily sit in the traffic jams for 2 hours after the game at least trying to get home.

If we had the stadium we would get 40000 at least to every home game. Bolton is close to manchester and most of the people that livein greater manchester prefer to go to watch Man Utd or Man City.

We would be the only premiership club around here, The closest being the Birmingham teams and Southampton. So we have a catchment area of all that space between Bristol and Southampton and Bristol and Birmingham.

Should Make it easier for yourself then shouldnt you!

We got 45,000 in the play-off final... 40% of those were one off supporters..

Asking for 40,000 everygame is hard.. Yes bolton is near manchester and we don't have exactly any prem clubs around here.

Ambition is showing you want a new ground.. But Price wise 1.. We couldnt afford it 2.. Where exactly would the ground be?

New ground is out of the question i think

Well said Colin, all my Gashead friends in the boozer feel the same. I go to City with my mates, always have done, always will do. Irispective of which division they are in at the time, or how well they're doing.

:blink:

It's far too late to be posting but I'm in the mood for being controversial:

I'm not too fussed about being in the Premiership. Just look at the hoohah being made at the moment by disallusioned fans of Premiership teams. The Prem just represents everything that is bad about modern football and I think myself lucky that City aren't involved. The thought of seeing some hugely overpayed European select eleven turning out at some oddity of modern architecture that houses 50,000 lucky buggers who could afford to remortgage their houses to afford the ticket prices...well it doesn't appeal.

I fell in love with Bristol City. A team that play at Ashton Gate, supported by people like me who like to sing and shout and have a laugh. I don't want a new name for the team, or a new location for their pitch. I don't want my club to eat itself!

If we had the stadium we would get 40000 at least to every home game. Bolton is close to manchester and most of the people that livein greater manchester prefer to go to watch Man Utd or Man City.

40000 - really don't think so. Check our average gates when we were in Div 1.

It's far too late to be posting but I'm in the mood for being controversial:

I'm not too fussed about being in the Premiership. Just look at the hoohah being made at the moment by disallusioned fans of Premiership teams. The Prem just represents everything that is bad about modern football and I think myself lucky that City aren't involved. The thought of seeing some hugely overpayed European select eleven turning out at some oddity of modern architecture that houses 50,000 lucky buggers who could afford to remortgage their houses to afford the ticket prices...well it doesn't appeal.

I fell in love with Bristol City. A team that play at Ashton Gate, supported by people like me who like to sing and shout and have a laugh. I don't want a new name for the team, or a new location for their pitch. I don't want my club to eat itself!

Hear hear that man. I'm not fussed with City being a Prem team either. Plastic-completely-over-priced-continental-defensive-influenced version of what used to be football. Who wants that???

As for City + Rovers = United - probably would not work, there'd be fighting in the stands as the "city city", "otib" chants went up at Ashton, and who knows what bedlam would occur when "if you hate the gas stand up" started ringing-out around Real Bristol Stadium.

Hmmm - food for thought.

Firstly, NO to a Bristol United.

City in the Premiership and Gas in the Conference?

Johnson might be a great manager but he's not a magician. Championship level is the highest BCFC can exist in.

We're not going to the Confrernce - not even Atkins could do that.

We took 35000 to a poxy Ldv Final And the same to wembley Then 40000 to the play-off final and we could of sold more tickets if we had them.

If and a big If this club got to the premiership the we would easily attract 40000 to each he game. Just like Sunderland which is a smaller city than ours.

Sunderland only get about 30,000 nowadays though.

Archived