IGNORED

The 'how Many Grounds' Thread Part II

preston red

Sorry if I'm asking people to repeat themselves, but seeing as so many of you have been to so many grounds, can you give us a few handy hints on which away games we should try to avoid ;)

I'd say the best club currently in our divison in terms of facilities and style (that I've visited), is Huddersfield. No atmosphere though. The stadium's too big for Huddersfield to fill. Wrexham wasn't bad.

Blackpool was awful when they had a temporary stand with no roof, flooded portakabin toilets and cold cups of tea. Is it still like that?

Outside of League One, Grimsby was terrible last year. Ajax's Amsterdam Arena was awe inspiring. Tranmere's not bad...

Colchester and Chesterfield are both museums dedicated to showing what can be built from some rusty old corrugated iron and a few ill fitting bolts.

I wasn't impressed with the atmosphere at the Madjeski Stadium... disregarding rivalry... Looks good but atmosphere-less!

Best? Hmm... Highbury was a great occasion... Great atmosphere/community outside the ground... Good atmosphere inside... Old Trafford was impressive... New Wembley will be awesome.

Yeovile's ground is the worst in your division IMO.

No covering for away fans, porta loo's, about £3 for a burger and £1.60 for a coke if I remember rightly.

If were on about worst away grounds don't point the finger at yeovil Sir ,have a look at the rugby ground we have to sit on seats that you have to lend out to wimbeldon, and you to have porta loo's but we just went up against the wall at the back quicker and when every where else looks a dump it don't show up :razz:

I've been to some bad grounds, largely due to my time in Scotland and watching lower division stuff, also my interest in non-league football. If you eevr go to Scotland, Cumbernauld United really is a must-go. It is so bad it's brilliant. I can't put into words how awful it actually is, but just to illustrate the point, my immortal memory is the toilet there - a brick shed with a hole in the ground. And it was unisex. Seriously.

But I suppose the point is the worst ground we've been to following City. In that case, Blackpool. Not only is it a poor ground, the atmosphere is rubbish and the stewards treat away fans terribly, or at least that was my experience. Also, didn't like Burnley when we were on that awful terracing caged in like animals, but that's gone now. I understand some of you not liking Doncaster or Luton, but at least there is a decent atmosphere there and Doncaster is friendly enough. Chesterfield, I don't know, I've never been there (do I want to?)

Best ground. I don't necessarily think all these new stadia are that great. As someone said, the Madejski looks great but there is no atmosphere. The Walkers Stadium similarly. Same for Oxford's Kassam Stadium (or whatever it's called). I'd have Belle Vue any day over the Madejski, because a ground is about more than superficial appearance. I like Preston North End because it is a fantastic new ground which at the same time manages to relate directly to its history and its roots. Also get a decent atmosphere there. Haven't been to watch City there for a few seasons (obviously) but have been to watch other games and I think it really is the best ground around. Facilties are also excellent.

Also like Forest, Walsall, Huddersfield and Bradford. Disliked Hillsborough but I think that's for other reasons, because it is a decent ground.

As for the Mem - can you really call that a football stadium? I've played in better non-league grounds!

Not the most impressive, but Loftus road is kind of cosy - close to the pitch, high, fully enclosed. Potential for great atmosphere if Holloway wasn't in charge etc. The terraced Kippax running the length of Maine Road was the best terrace I ever stood on.

The Milennium when full is great, as is Old Trafford but the latter has areas where one part of the ground can't hear others (and I got a nose bleed and altitude sickness at the back of the North Stand).

My most memorable "worsts" were (as mentioned by someone else) the grass bank terrace at Wigan in the nineties (20 of us slipped over jumping up and down when we scored a penalty in the first 5 minutes), and the away terrace at Barnsley on New years day c.1992 - a hangover coupled with no roof and horizontal sleet up your nostrils was the pits.

Archived