IGNORED

Away Day Blues

robins72

Was reading on Sky Sports last night that Colin Lee was complainging that near the end of the month Millwall have to travel to Plymouth Mansfield and Burnley in a week totalling up several hundred miles! We the fans suffering the long journey up and down the motorway when this could be better organised before the fixtures come out!(obviously cup games cant be helped!)

This reminded me of last season when on a cold December night some of our dedicated fans travelled up to Doncaster on a Tuesday night a fixture that may well have been suited to a Saturday.

So my point is can the football league do anything about these fixtures? I'm sure Torquay have had to travel up to Carlise on a midweek game as well, causing people to take time off work etc....

Your comments.....

Was reading on Sky Sports last night that Colin Lee was complainging that near the end of the month Millwall have to travel to Plymouth Mansfield and Burnley in a week totalling up several hundred miles! We the fans suffering the long journey up and down the motorway when this could be better organised before the fixtures come out!(obviously cup games cant be helped!)

This reminded me of last season when on a cold December night some of our dedicated fans travelled up to Doncaster on a Tuesday night a fixture that may well have been suited to a Saturday.

So my point is can the football league do anything about these fixtures? I'm sure Torquay have had to travel up to Carlise on a midweek game as well, causing people to take time off work etc....

Your comments.....

Doncaster away last season, was one of my best away days of the season, Just picture the womens face at the bar now, when we asked for 21 pints please :D

Doncaster away last season, was one of my best away days of the season, Just picture the womens face at the bar now, when we asked for 21 pints please :D

That reminds me RedTauntonian, how is your drinking problem :laugh:

Your comments.....

I've always thought that week night away fixtures should be set within a 100 mile radius of the club (where possible). It's in the interest of both clubs to do this as the club we are visiting will benefit from additonal income (due to the number of away fans attending) and we would benefit from the extra noise & support.

I've always thought that week night away fixtures should be set within a 100 mile radius of the club (where possible). It's in the interest of both clubs to do this as the club we are visiting will benefit from additonal income (due to the number of away fans attending) and we would benefit from the extra noise & support.

The more effective solution i think is to get the lower divisions back to the old 'North' and 'South'. Solves everyones problems then and would be of long term benefit financially to all clubs in the lower leagues.

The more effective solution i think is to get the lower divisions back to the old 'North' and 'South'. Solves everyones problems then and would be of long term benefit financially to all clubs in the lower leagues.

Trouble is, if we did that we'd have to play the likes of Torquay, Orient, Exeter, Shrewsbury and the Gas every week and miss out on playing bigger clubs like Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Forest, Bradford, Tranmere etc. Although it would be easier for us to get out of it I guess... :city:

Trouble is, if we did that we'd have to play the likes of Torquay, Orient, Exeter, Shrewsbury and the Gas every week and miss out on playing bigger clubs like Huddersfield, Sheff Wed, Forest, Bradford, Tranmere etc. Although it would be easier for us to get out of it I guess... :city:

Exactly thats my cunning plan - its easier to get out of!!!

And yeah it does have pro's and cons but we also wouldnt need to go back to dumps like chesterfield and carlisle and wrexham - and seriously you cant tell me you look forward to going to tranmere!!

We would however play the gas swansea cardiff plymouth etc on a regular basis.

Financially it makes sound sense, along with part time players, for clus to survive long term in the basement divisions.

One suggestion made last year was that the long distance games are played at the start and end of season with local derbies taking place in midwinter.

A few years ago Torquay, Exeter and Plymuff were in the same division as Hartlepool, Carlisle and Darlington which prompted some people to call for the lower two divs to be regionalised again.

the problem is robin is that there is no commonsense in football. :dunno::doh:

To be honest it amazes me that in the internet era, games still need to be played face to face.

Unless football starts to move with the times, it will find the consumer moving on, leaving a defunct industry in tatters.

I do wonder how much (if any) thought goes into the fixture list.

I mean, Gillingham away on Boxing Day??? For crying out loud, it may aswell be Hartlepool away.

Also - we play several clubs twice before we get to play other clubs once, which just seems ridiculous. Obviously it won't be possible in every instance, but surely the league should roughly comprise 23 games against 23 different teams and then be repeated, with just the venue changing.

We play Chesterfield home and away in under a month. We don't play S****horpe until January and then play them for a 2nd time less than a month later.

The whole thing is completely absurd.

I do wonder how much (if any) thought goes into the fixture list.

I mean, Gillingham away on Boxing Day??? For crying out loud, it may aswell be Hartlepool away.

Also - we play several clubs twice before we get to play other clubs once, which just seems ridiculous. Obviously it won't be possible in every instance, but surely the league should roughly comprise 23 games against 23 different teams and then be repeated, with just the venue changing.

We play Chesterfield home and away in under a month. We don't play S****horpe until January and then play them for a 2nd time less than a month later.

The whole thing is completely absurd.

Why is it absurd?

What difference does it make?

I can understand the argument for shorter trips on bank holidays etc but I cant see what iota of difference it makes to play a team twice before another?

Pre war they used to play home game against a particular side one week and the away fixture against same side the next..

Why is it absurd?

What difference does it make?

I can understand the argument for shorter trips on bank holidays etc but I cant see what iota of difference it makes to play a team twice before another?

Pre war they used to play home game against a particular side one week and the away fixture against same side the next..

Because if you play a team now and they have all their players available and are on a good run, you then have to play them again in a few weeks time when they could well be in a similar position. If you play them at the start of the season and then again midway through, they could be in a completely different position on the 2 occasions you play them.

When do you think teams would rather play us?

Twice at the start of the season when the team and manager were getting booed off or in 2 months time when Johnson has got us well up the league?

Archived