IGNORED

Moronic Baby Names !

Scrumpylegs

Just wondered if ( like me ) anyone else had noticed the increasing tendency of new parents to choose idiotic and ridiculous names for their offspring . What do they think they are trying to acheive by saddling their kids with these downright stupid names that they're only going to have to change ( by deed poll ) 18 years later anyway !

Typically the choice of names tends to be guided in 4

ways :

1) Invent a completely new name of your own choosing . This type of name is often the worst offender and often takes the form of a completely random word usually selected because ' I LIKED THE SOUND OF IT '. Well I like the sound of Cillit bang but thats no reason to saddle a child with it - there are probably many young Cillit bangs wanderring the streets of certain parts of Bristol now anyway! The reason these names are new and you haven't ever heard them before is because they're c##p and make both you and your child look stupid .

2) Name your child something remotely normal sounding and then change the spelling . Something like 'Garie' for example . :doh:

3) Choose a completely inappropriate ' foreign' name . Examples of these include the habit of choosing dodgy celtic names such as Callum , Siobahn or Daffydddd for a child that has no Celtic roots whatsoever ! These are fine if you have roots in these areas but are not acceptable if ( as above ) you just liked the name .

4) Copy the name of your favourite 3rd rate celebrity . e.g Ronnan etc . These people are often long forgotten long before baby reaches his 1st bitrhday !

If ever you're feeling down and need a lift the 'births' section of the BEP can be relied upon to deliver comedy gold ! :w00t:

I take offence to your post claiming "Callum" as a dodgy name.Yes the name Callum has unfortunately become fashionable but no way is it dodgy.I named my son Callum 16 years ago when it was a rarish name.

But hey your name is Paul is'nt it ? Very common and named after a Disciple !!!

Is'nt that a "Dodgy" name afetr all Paul was one of millions who could'nt think for himself and needed some bearded bloke in a loin cloth to tell him what to do.

My favourites....

IPB Image

Actor Jason Lee (Mallrats, Chasing Amy & Almost Famous) called his son... Pilot Inspektor Riesgraf Lee!

Demi Moore and Bruce Willis named their kids Rumer, Scout and Tallulah

Robin Williams named his daughter Zelda, after the classic Nintendo video game.

Frank Zappa....

IPB Image

Named his kids... Dweezil, Moon Unit, Diva and Ahmet

I take offence to your post claiming "Callum" as a dodgy name.Yes the name Callum has unfortunately become fashionable but no way is it dodgy.I named my son Callum 16 years ago when it was a rarish name.

But hey your name is Paul is'nt it ? Very common and named after a Disciple !!!

Is'nt that a "Dodgy" name afetr all Paul was one of millions who could'nt think for himself and needed some bearded bloke in a loin cloth to tell him what to do.

Callum is a dodgy name. If only because it's spelled incorrectly. Calum is a Gaelic name and is spelled with only one L.

As for Paul, what's wrong with that?

And I might not be a great religious person, but as far as I know Paul never met a bearded bloke in a loin cloth - he was a convert after Christ died and definitely had a mind of his own!

Anyway, these "stupid" names are becoming increasingly common. All these so-called celebs love calling their kids crazy things (e.g. Zowie Bowie, son of David) but unfortunately it doesn't end there. I went to school with a guy called Morven, another boy called Lindsay (never lived it down), a girl called Remke (it sounded nice, apparently) and a girl called Mercedes (see, it's popular). I have since met an Albert Ross. And a young boy called Daddy. Yes, Daddy. I hope that was not his the name on his birth certificate, but I really don't know.

There is a trend towards Celtic names which does irritate me but it's here to stay I think.

Callum is a dodgy name. If only because it's spelled incorrectly. Calum is a Gaelic name and is spelled with only one L.

There is a trend towards Celtic names which does irritate me but it's here to stay I think.

Through time ALL names have been spelt differently.

ie Stuart Stewart ...Iain Ian......Jane Jayne

In other words there are two ways of spelling Callum AND my decision to name my son CALLUM (with two L's ) was NOT a trend thing . He is nearly seventeen and the name back in 1989 was'nt common.The only person I'd heard of with the name was George Best's son...(spelt with one L )

Oh and by the way I also chose Callum because my parents were Scot !

Just wondered if ( like me ) anyone else had noticed the increasing tendency of new parents to choose idiotic and ridiculous names for their offspring . What do they think they are trying to acheive by saddling their kids with these downright stupid names that they're only going to have to change ( by deed poll ) 18 years later anyway !

Typically the choice of names tends to be guided in 4

ways :

1) Invent a completely new name of your own choosing . This type of name is often the worst offender and often takes the form of a completely random word usually selected because ' I LIKED THE SOUND OF IT '. Well I like the sound of Cillit bang but thats no reason to saddle a child with it - there are probably many young Cillit bangs wanderring the streets of certain parts of Bristol now anyway! The reason these names are new and you haven't ever heard them before is because they're c##p and make both you and your child look stupid .

2) Name your child something remotely normal sounding and then change the spelling . Something like 'Garie' for example . :doh:

3) Choose a completely inappropriate ' foreign' name . Examples of these include the habit of choosing dodgy celtic names such as Callum , Siobahn or Daffydddd for a child that has no Celtic roots whatsoever ! These are fine if you have roots in these areas but are not acceptable if ( as above ) you just liked the name .

4) Copy the name of your favourite 3rd rate celebrity . e.g Ronnan etc . These people are often long forgotten long before baby reaches his 1st bitrhday !

If ever you're feeling down and need a lift the 'births' section of the BEP can be relied upon to deliver comedy gold ! :w00t:

so Basically we should only call our children names that you think are suitable?

Well no offence man but I like my name and it isnt a "normal" name. My name is Spike and I am perfectly happy with it :)

Guest The Codfather 0312

For me, McKenzie = chav!! I do like the name hope, however as I do Skye. I think my firstborn female will be a Hope..... problem is it just doesnt really go with the surname!

My Darling daughter is called Hope-Louise! We had the same problem as you we liked the name hope but it didn't go with my surname(Coakes) So we made it a double barreled name by adding louise to it.

My Brothers called ASHTON, now you cant argue with that!! thats a class name!!(wish i was born first :grr: )

If we would hae had a boy we would of named it Ashton or even Dj(Dan Junior)

Archived