IGNORED

Balls

RedUn

It's not 'stick' it's constructive. I don't say- Phillips you are awful, why do you bother. He may have been shouting at his defence but he didn't come out enough on Saturday for me and was partly repsonsible for the goal amongst others.

One step at a time!

Hopefully he'll start to come out, but he is definately improving in the areas where he needs to imo.

Why on earth do thinks get so heated on here when it comes to Phillps?

Maybe part of the problem is that he's had no competition for ages, he's good, but he needs to be pushed to perform better.

He does himself no favours in my eyes when he starts ranting at his defence everytime we concede a goal.

If the trajectories are so unpredictable how does any striker ever manage to score?

Most of the crossing I see is from City players at Ashton Gate, I never thought I'd see anyone defend them as predictable as though they were high quality!

The really predictable ones are the slow, lobbed hanging crosses that are easily defended and we have been putting those in for years; I've noticed that our opponents tend to strike lower, quicker crosses with better shape - these are harder to defend and at the same time easier to attack because the forward might only need a slight touch to send the ball towards goal, so if the keeper is off his line and beaten by the flight it's curtains.

Playing the percentages it is better for the keeper to stay on his line ready to deal with the deflections and have the defenders attack the crosses. Phillips has made numerous telling saves in such circumstances; however, things can still go wrong, eg the free kick at Bournemouth where everybody missed it so the anticipated deflection didn't come and Sod's Law dictated that the ball crept in at the far post ... but that's football of course.

The really predictable ones are the slow, lobbed hanging crosses that are easily defended and we have been putting those in for years; I've noticed that our opponents tend to strike lower, quicker crosses with better shape - these are harder to defend and at the same time easier to attack because the forward might only need a slight touch to send the ball towards goal, so if the keeper is off his line and beaten by the flight it's curtains.

An excellent point there from RedUn that seems to have been over looked by BCFC's coaching staff for years. There were countless crosses that were lobbed in at height against the giant Hartlepool keeper on Saturday and he caught them all. The cross put in low and quick by Murray to Bridges was missed by the whole Hartlepool defence in what should of been a certain goal from Bridges. :doh:

Guest North Street

Wilson was very good 'keeper in his day - just like many others but that doesn't make him an expert or qualified to comment on todays game.The art of goalkeeping carries the same principles now as when he played. Aglity, positional sense and being decisive and reliable.

A man who played at the highest level and "was" a goalkeeping coach i think is an expert :blush:

Genius.

Alex is your obsession with Citys number one starting to wane? As it took a seven minutes to reply this time, slacking :dance:

A man who played at the highest level and "was" a goalkeeping coach i think is an expert :blush:

If I understood the article correctly Wilson claims that the footballs in todays game swerve and move about more than the old ones.Because of that goalkeepers now have to change thier natural game and stay on thier line more and leave more balls for the defenders to deal with.

If you follow that logic then strikers will have to change thier game plan as well.

"Expert" or otherwise, Wilson is talking nonsense imo.

If I understood the article correctly Wilson claims that the footballs in todays game swerve and move about more than the old ones.Because of that goalkeepers now have to change thier natural game and stay on thier line more and leave more balls for the defenders to deal with.

If you follow that logic then strikers will have to change thier game plan as well.

Um, talk about missing the point ... Wilson's starting point is that the efforts of the strikers are different because of the ball's behaviour! :grr:

just look at the facts.steve phillips has played over 300 games in 9 years working under at least 9 different managers . None of these managers deemed him surplus to requirements at any stage.My point is that perhaps he is a better goal keeper than he gets credit for ,perhaps some of you who keep moaning about him ought to realise that managers are the experts when it comes to judging players and not you ,and yes i do know this forum is all about opinions,but i sometimes wonder why some of you bother expressing your views when they seem so negative and vindictive.

Alex is your obsession with Citys number one starting to wane? As it took a seven minutes to reply this time, slacking :dance:

yawn...

Sorry, how does that account for his lack of ability when it comes to commanding his penalty area and back four, and his woeful, ineptitude when balls are played into the box?

To stop the Philips happy clappers berating me, yes, he is a great shot stopper.

That's not going to save you. How dare you constructively crticise Phillips?

Guest silkman

Most of the crossing I see is from City players at Ashton Gate, I never thought I'd see anyone defend them as predictable as though they were high quality!

Playing the percentages it is better for the keeper to stay on his line ready to deal with the deflections and have the defenders attack the crosses. Phillips has made numerous telling saves in such circumstances; however, things can still go wrong, eg the free kick at Bournemouth where everybody missed it so the anticipated deflection didn't come and Sod's Law dictated that the ball crept in at the far post ... but that's football of course.

I thought I was being sarcastic - crossing is generally not City's strong point. Phillips is one of the worst goalkeepers I have seen at any level at dominating the area and organising his defence- he is a good shot stopper but so are many others. City should be trying to improve in all areas but as most managers have been out field players goal keepers tend to be a neglected area - nine managers neglecting the goalkeeping position doesn't mean Phillips is indispensable

Guest pentlandsl

we have no money so we cant just go and get a new keeper in just like that, who is out there on a free or for around £75,000 that is better? I would say if Johnson has limited money to spend in the winter a new keeper will not be high on his shopping list.

And that is the problem - like most teams in our division we won't spend the money on a decent goalkeeper in the way we would on a striker or even a defender.

I've nothing personal against Phillips I just think he is a weak link in our team and feel we would do better with more of an all-rounder of a keeper who not only commands his area, but comes for crosses/punches, has the confidence of his defenders and is sharp enough to release the ball early if the situation demands it.

We couldn't afford a keeper with ALL of those attributes but I'm sure we could afford one with many more of them than Phillips.

Modern balls do indeed have the capability of being unpredictable when hit hard but this doesn't necessarily mean every time the ball is hit or indeed on the majority of crosses into the box, if this was so then the cross-field pass wouldn't be possible nor would the looping cross into the box which we find so hard to deal with so whilst Wilson has a point it is a limited one in exceptional circumstances.

Archived