IGNORED

England Are We Paying The Price

Guest ashtonyate

Guest ashtonyate

Having watch another poor Engand game the quesition must be asked have we got enough English player in our premership league.I think its about time we had a limit on how many none English Players play in a prem team at one time I would like to see at most 5 overseas players playing at one time and the rest made up of british player this is not raceist just common sence

How would a team made up of British players help the English? The Welsh and Scottish are foreigners as well.

Oh, btw, the answer to your question is No. We have world class English players being managed by a second class turnip.

Having watch another poor Engand game the quesition must be asked have we got enough English player in our premership league.I think its about time we had a limit on how many none English Players play in a prem team at one time I would like to see at most 5 overseas players playing at one time and the rest made up of british player this is not raceist just common sence

Of course, to increase the number of English players we would need to ensure that our youngsters receive a high standard of professional coaching, through systems such as the Academy. :whistle:

For two recent examples of England U-21 internationals produced through our very own academy, look no further than Leroy Lita and Liam Rosenior (who I think has played for the U-21s, may be wrong though), whilst Scott Golbourne has been a fixture at England youth levels.

There is no problem wih the quality of the English players.Its the way in which they are managed thats the problem.

When will Erikson realise that Gerrard and Lampard are incompatable in central midfield? Both top class players but they are too similar to play in the same team.He makes Gerrard play defensively which is stiffling his game.He's wasted in that role and we hardly saw him today.

If he wants to play them both then he has to play 3-5-2 which he refuses to do.

I agree we do need to limit the number of foreigners allowed in any side. You cannot tell me that the amount of English players in the top sides are acceptable. Chelsea have two in there best 11, Terry, Lampard.(Maybe three if Wright-Phillips starts to win a reg place. Arsenal have two, Cole and Campbell, and Man Utd have four, Neville, Ferdinand,Scholes and Rooney.

Now i argue if we made it a rule you must have five English players in your 16, thats not being unreasonable, and it will give young English talent a far greater chance of getting experience at the top levels. Our premiership is flooded with foreign talent, depriving our young possible Wayne Rooneys of getting there break.

Its screaming out to me that in 10 years time we will have a England team of players from the middle table sides!Why? because we have foreign managers who buy players from thier respective nations.

I agree we do need to limit the number of foreigners allowed in any side. You cannot tell me that the amount of English players in the top sides are acceptable. Chelsea have two in there best 11, Terry, Lampard.(Maybe three if Wright-Phillips starts to win a reg place. Arsenal have two, Cole and Campbell, and Man Utd have four, Neville, Ferdinand,Scholes and Rooney.

Now i argue if we made it a rule you must have five English players in your 16, thats not being unreasonable, and it will give young English talent a far greater chance of getting experience at the top levels. Our premiership is flooded with foreign talent, depriving our young possible Wayne Rooneys of getting there break.

Its screaming out to me that in 10 years time we will have a England team of players from the middle table sides!Why? because we have foreign managers who buy players from thier respective nations.

this is why our cricket team has improved cutting down the intake of foreign players, so it should the help the football as well, but with the prem needing big gates they need big names!

Guest ashtonyate

So without Academies I supposed we're just going to have to magic these guys up.

You know what i think of a team in the third div having an Academy But if you talk of prem academy a lot of players are not given a chance because they cannot have the time to develop in prem sides because the team just bring in develop players from overseas It makes me smile its alway the mamager thats bad never the team.

I've never understood this argument - all leagues have lots of foreigners in them nowadays - how may Brazilians/Argentine/French players actually play in their home leagues ? At the last world cup Italy were the only team in the competition to field a team of players who all played in their own country - and they didn't win ! - don't see the connection myself.

:dunno:

YES far to many foreigners in the game. Like the others (not footballers) they come they seek they take they clear off!!!!!!!!! England football and the country is in a mess. But don't tell anyone I said so. The thought police would have a field day.

YES far to many foreigners in the game. Like the others (not footballers) they come they seek they take they clear off!!!!!!!!! England football and the country is in a mess. But don't tell anyone I said so. The thought police would have a field day.

So would you apply that to Beckham/Owen/McManaman/Keegan/Gascoigne/Linekar etc etc etc all "foreigners" making a living and then clearing off back to where they came from ?

When liverpool won the double way back in 1986, the team they fielded in the fa cup final contained no ENGLISHMEN at all!! Although mark lawrenson was born in preston, but decided he was irish!!!

ENGLISH football has always been full of foriegners, just look how many CITY, a third division side, yet with an academy, have!!

G.SMITH

PARTRIDGE

MURRAY

COTTERILL

WILKSHIRE

KEOGH

MADJO

And in the past we have probably had an even higher percentage of foriegners!!

So would you apply that to Beckham/Owen/McManaman/Keegan/Gascoigne/Linekar etc etc etc all "foreigners" making a living and then clearing off back to where they came from ?

I think you have named about every English player ever there to have played abroad in your argument, where as it would take a fair old amount of time to name all the french players that have played in our league or German or spanish or...

I'm not agreeing thats what they are doing however, i don't believe the majority of players come here to earn big money then clear off. They want to play in the best league in the world, thats why alot come here. But we now have the best league in the world full of the best and the average players from the world. This means less English talent is getting a chance to play in the best league in the world when its there own darn league! We should ne nuturing our talent and letting them play. Instead we have the futures of France (Arsenal) Spain (Liverpool) Quite a few countrys (Chelski) playing in our tops sides and very few English future talent.

Look at our under 21 team for example, how many of these future English stars are playing for Englands top clubs..

England U21: Carson, Steven Taylor, Baines, Dawson, Ferdinand (Ryan Taylor 71), Huddlestone, Milner, Soares (Moore 61), Cole (Jerome 87), Thomas, Lennon.

Subs Not Used: Onuoha, Camp, Whittingham, Welsh.

How many Arsenal players? Man Utd? Chelski? Liverpool even! Not many. The future of our national side IS at risk if we do not limit the number of foreigners in every premiership side. Then the likes of Chelski would be looking at bringing through and blooding new English talent, instead of paying 26million on Essien and offering 50million for Adriano.

I think you have named about every English player ever there to have played abroad in your argument, where as it would take a fair old amount of time to name all the french players that have played in our league or German or spanish or...

I'm not agreeing thats what they are doing however, i don't believe the majority of players come here to earn big money then clear off. They want to play in the best league in the world, thats why alot come here. But we now have the best league in the world full of the best and the average players from the world. This means less English talent is getting a chance to play in the best league in the world when its there own darn league! We should ne nuturing our talent and letting them play. Instead we have the futures of France (Arsenal) Spain (Liverpool) Quite a few countrys (Chelski) playing in our tops sides and very few English future talent.

Look at our under 21 team for example, how many of these future English stars are playing for Englands top clubs..

England U21: Carson, Steven Taylor, Baines, Dawson, Ferdinand (Ryan Taylor 71), Huddlestone, Milner, Soares (Moore 61), Cole (Jerome 87), Thomas, Lennon.

How many Arsenal players? Man Utd? Chelski? Liverpool even! Not many. The future of our national side IS at risk if we do not limit the number of foreigners in every premiership side. Then the likes of Chelski would be looking at bringing through and blooding new English talent, instead of paying 26million on Essien and offering 50million for Adriano.

DELUDED & DELUDABLE!!!!!!!!

Come on now say what you mean. don't apologise your not one of these Mamby Pamby, Airy Fairie, Arty Farty lot that get on here. YOUR RIGHT!

Guest North Street

Restraint of trade! Anyone from an EEC Country can come and work or play in Britain by law, it would be impossible to enforce.

When liverpool won the double way back in 1986, the team they fielded in the fa cup final contained no ENGLISHMEN at all!! Although mark lawrenson was born in preston, but decided he was irish!!!

ENGLISH football has always been full of foriegners, just look how many CITY, a third division side, yet with an academy, have!!

G.SMITH

PARTRIDGE

MURRAY

COTTERILL

WILKSHIRE

KEOGH

MADJO

And in the past we have probably had an even higher percentage of foriegners!!

They might even be FOREIGNERS! (FORIEGNERS). Then lets get more Enlish players in with Scottish, Welsh and Irish names ya twerp!

What are you on about?

don't know how but posts got mixed must have pushed the wrong button. Anyway agree with your posting!

Restraint of trade! Anyone from an EEC Country can come and work or play in Britain by law, it would be impossible to enforce.

That is exactly the same problem that cricket has. Read about it here.

I think somethink similar needs to be brought into football, with the handouts from the FA being based on the number of English qualified players each team has in it's matchday squads. I doubt if it would effect money bags clubs like Chelsea, but I can't think of anything else.

I'd like to see a wage cap also.

Given that you cannot restrain the trade of players from outside the EU how about a rule along the lines of a minimum number of English players in each Premiership squad and team, say 10 in the squad and 4 in the starting XI.

The Premiership is becoming more like European football every season and personally, I don't like what is being served up (based on the television highlights I see). Tactical passion-less dross served up by two teams full of internationsals who are C List at best and afraid of getting relegated and playing 4-5-1 seems to be the order of the day for all but the very top clubs.

Guest Tactical Genius

Of course we are paying the price for having too many foreigners in our league system. Just look at all the International competitions that England used to win before the influx of non-British players.

The problem isn't the foreigners in the league, it's the ones that play against England in finals tournaments who are invariably better them.

I think I've probably misssed quite a few out actually - Dean Saunders, Chris Waddle, Ian Rush, not counting the number of english players who've gone to scotland. Basically, every england team of the last 20 years has featured players who played abroad at some point in their careers, and most will tell you it improved their game as well as their bank balance. And for every big name, there are probably half a dozen earning a living in the belgian third divison, my point is you only seem to apply your "foreigner" argument one way.

As for the Premiership being the best league in the world, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, how are you measuring that and have you asked the Italians or the Spanish ? Even if it is the best in the world, isn't that because of the influx of foreign players (there werent anything like as many in the old first div) in other words they have raised the standard, so are you suggesting we ban foreigners and go back to the standard of top flight football we had in 80s ? I can remember it and it wasn't pretty.

I do agree with you in that a lot of clubs spend money on mediocre foreign players, rather than taking a chance developing local talent, but who is responsible for that - greedy boards and short signted managers ! I seem to remember Brian Robson at midlesborough (An england player and an english manager) bringing in a lot of dross - you cant blame the players, they are trying to make a living wherever they can, it's up to the english game to develop its own talent.

I'm not saying its a good or bad thing but football like everything else is now a global busines, and "foreigner" is a totaly irrelevant term.

I think I've probably misssed quite a few out actually - Dean Saunders, Chris Waddle, Ian Rush, not counting the number of english players who've gone to scotland. Basically, every england team of the last 20 years has featured players who played abroad at some point in their careers, and most will tell you it improved their game as well as their bank balance. And for every big name, there are probably half a dozen earning a living in the belgian third divison, my point is you only seem to apply your "foreigner" argument one way.

Ok, well i would have NO problem if Italian clubs said that each Serie A club have a minimum of 5 Italian nationality players in there squad of 16. Thats what i want in the prem so i would accept that anywhere, infact i think its a good idea. Ive never said it was a bad thing for our players to go abroad, infact i agree with you it does improve them as players.

As for the Premiership being the best league in the world, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, how are you measuring that and have you asked the Italians or the Spanish ? Even if it is the best in the world, isn't that because of the influx of foreign players (there werent anything like as many in the old first div) in other words they have raised the standard, so are you suggesting we ban foreigners and go back to the standard of top flight football we had in 80s ? I can remember it and it wasn't pretty.

Nope I'm not suggesting that at all, have you read what I'm saying? I actually don't want a cap on the number of foreigners in your side, all i want is for every team to include a minimum of five English players in their squad of 16. Not british. not English and Welsh. Just English. This will help breed new English stars of the future and give them more opportunities that our foreign friends are taking away through no fault of there own at the moment. I totally admit that the influx of foreign talent has made the prem what it is today, and thats why i have been so lenient with the 5 player rule, you could still field a team of french internationals if you wanted, but you would have to have five english subs. This rule isnt barbarrack but it is giving a lifeline to those youngsters at the Chelskis and Arsenals who arent getting a fair chance to play alongside Henry and the quality players in our prem.

I do agree with you in that a lot of clubs spend money on mediocre foreign players, rather than taking a chance developing local talent, but who is responsible for that - greedy boards and short signted managers ! I seem to remember Brian Robson at midlesborough (An england player and an english manager) bringing in a lot of dross - you cant blame the players, they are trying to make a living wherever they can, it's up to the english game to develop its own talent.

I'm not saying its a good or bad thing but football like everything else is now a global busines, and "foreigner" is a totaly irrelevant term.

Ive never blamed the players, they are doing what most sane people would and take the money. i agree with your term its up to the English game to develop its own talent, thats exactly what we must do and this rule is exactly what the English game needs to ensure that we do at the very top levels!

everyone else in everyleague everywhere has the same thing so why can they do it and we cant.?

I personally think we have the players to be one of the best national sides in the world, however we are being held back by the current management. There seems to be no passion in the side anymore also we seem to play alot of negative football when we should be attacking, especially against teams like N Ireland and Wales. We need a manager that can bring this back into the england side.

Also I do agree that a minimum of 5 English players in squad of 16 would be a good way of developing future stars with giving them invauable experience.

Archived