IGNORED

Tinnion For Cheltenham

bh_red

According to BBC West News, Tinnion is still training with Cheltenham and looks likely to play again for the reserves.

He is due to be meeting the Chairman at City on Tuesday, to sort out any remaining contract issues with the club.

Looks like as expected he is going for a clean break for the club, I reckon this is probably the best thing for Tinnion and the club, clean break for everyone, hopefully Tins will take on a player-coach role at Cheltenham and work with Ward.

Hmmmm..........Cheltenham at home in round 2 of the FA Cup would be nice........

Sounds like a positive thing to me.

This would give Tinnion the opportunity to fulful his obvious potential somewhere else.

He took over here probably at the wrong time but his playing experience will be utilised effectively at Cheltenham where (if he is player-coach) I'm sure he will have more success than here. The pressures will be diferent and of course he'll have the advantage of working under an existing manager to develop his skills rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

I wish him all the success he deserves.

Sounds like a positive thing to me.

This would give Tinnion the opportunity to fulful his obvious potential somewhere else.

He took over here probably at the wrong time but his playing experience will be utilised effectively at Cheltenham where (if he is player-coach) I'm sure he will have more success than here. The pressures will be diferent and of course he'll have the advantage of working under an existing manager to develop his skills rather than being thrown in at the deep end.

I wish him all the success he deserves.

Obvious potential??????????????????????????

:rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br: : :rofl2br:

Well, I was one of Tinnion's critics. I thought he had no ability to do the job, apart from a bit of nous in the transfer market.

However, GJ's time at Kettering draws distinct parrallels to Tins time as manager here, and he came good.

Tins obviously has desire and drive, but we made his position untenable. Our job was too big a job at the wrong time.

Obvious potential??????????????????????????

Yes, I stand by what I say. He has obvious potential.

But that is what it is - merely potential. It hasn't been developed, he doesn't have the experience and he was never going to be successful stepping into Danny Wilson's shoes.

However, he did almost get City into the play-offs last year and probably with a bit more luck would have done. After the start to this season and the way our problems have been exposed, the fact that we even got as high as seventh says something about Tinnion's abilities even if they are rather modest ones.

At Cheltenham hopefully he will have the opportunity to work and learn under an experienced manager and develop his skills properly rather than being thrown into the deep end with limited support. Then his abilites or lack of them will be more obvious.

Rather than laugh at the suggestion Tinnion has the potential to do well, maybe we should look at the more complex reasons surrounding his failure here. Cheltenham is a different club to Bristol City. The pressures and expectations are completely different.

Maybe he'll be a disaster there too. But I think this is a more responsible way for BT to go about a career in coaching.

A lot of people laughed when Derby County brought in a relatively untried and unsuccessful manager from Hartlepools United - some chap called Brian Clough. The only thing he had going for him was his playing record and he had no chance of success managing at that level, or so people thought. there aren't too many people saying that now.

Clough? Tinnion? Is there a connection? No, probably not. But at least Clough was given a decent chance to prove himself. Cheltenham will hopefully give Tinnion the same opportunity.

Yes, I stand by what I say. He has obvious potential.

But that is what it is - merely potential. It hasn't been developed, he doesn't have the experience and he was never going to be successful stepping into Danny Wilson's shoes.

However, he did almost get City into the play-offs last year and probably with a bit more luck would have done. After the start to this season and the way our problems have been exposed, the fact that we even got as high as seventh says something about Tinnion's abilities even if they are rather modest ones.

At Cheltenham hopefully he will have the opportunity to work and learn under an experienced manager and develop his skills properly rather than being thrown into the deep end with limited support. Then his abilites or lack of them will be more obvious.

Rather than laugh at the suggestion Tinnion has the potential to do well, maybe we should look at the more complex reasons surrounding his failure here. Cheltenham is a different club to Bristol City. The pressures and expectations are completely different.

Maybe he'll be a disaster there too. But I think this is a more responsible way for BT to go about a career in coaching.

A lot of people laughed when Derby County brought in a relatively untried and unsuccessful manager from Hartlepools United - some chap called Brian Clough. The only thing he had going for him was his playing record and he had no chance of success managing at that level, or so people thought. there aren't too many people saying that now.

Clough? Tinnion? Is there a connection? No, probably not. But at least Clough was given a decent chance to prove himself. Cheltenham will hopefully give Tinnion the same opportunity.

Clough turned out to be a successful manager for one main reason - he had Taylor who was brilliant at finding the players and coaching the players - Clough could motivate or put the fear of God in players depending on which ex players you believe. Clough/Tyalor partnership had the real success

Clough turned out to be a successful manager for one main reason - he had Taylor who was brilliant at finding the players and coaching the players - Clough could motivate or put the fear of God in players depending on which ex players you believe. Clough/Tyalor partnership had the real success

Yes, no question about that. Clough was great and a genius in his own way but Taylor's role in all Clough's success can't be underestimated.

A very good point you make and this I think may have been part of Tinnion's problem. I don't think there ever was any real partnership here, at least one that worked. Perhaps at Cheltenham or somewhere else he might form a useful relationship as a number 2 where he can use his experience and ability more effectively than he could have here.

Don't get me wrong - I am under no illusions in regards Tinnion's failings at our club but it's too simple to just say he was just a bad manager. I'd love to see him go somewhere else and do well. Then again if he's useless at Cheltenham in whatever role he's given there then maybe he should take it as an indication he should pursue a career away from football.

But Cheltenham wouldn't give him a job if they thought he was rubbish, surely?

I would say that 7th last season was mainly down to Lita banging in shed loads of goals, otherwise we'd have finished in a similar position to where we are now. Tinnion can take credit for playing Lita, but that's about it.

But Cheltenham wouldn't give him a job if they thought he was rubbish, surely?

They haven't given him a job yet (as far as I know).

They haven't given him a job yet (as far as I know).

No, but they're playing him in the reserves. Why would anyone be playing a retired player like Tinnion if they weren't thinking of a wider role for him at the club? It's either with a view to Tinnion coaching there and passing his experience on to others or it's a seriously retrograde move due to Town being desperately short of players. The first seems more likely.

We don't know what's happening and we're all just talking hypothetically. But if Cheltenham want to take a chance on him it's because they must see something in him. If I was the Cheltenham chairman I would probably be looking to bring in someone with wider experience of the game than BT, but that's his decision. All I'll say is if Tinnion is given a role there I hope he does well. I don't think there's anything controversial about that?

It will be interesting to see what happens.

As for reaching the play-offs, yes, Lita certainly was a vital factor. But don't you think the manager deserves just a smidgeon of credit? At the beginning of the season we were all talking about promotion, largely because of how we saw the team playing at the end of the last campaign. I think Tinnion was partly responsible for that optimistic attitude, even if our faith was misplaced. A lot of us really believed this would be our season, something we wouldn't have done if Tinnion was as bad as some would have us think.

OK, so the start of this season showed up a lot of Tinnion's weaknesses, but what does that prove except he's inexperienced and hasn't yet cut the mustard at this level? It surely doesn't mean I can't wish him well in his future career?

Well, I was one of Tinnion's critics. I thought he had no ability to do the job, apart from a bit of nous in the transfer market.

However, GJ's time at Kettering draws distinct parrallels to Tins time as manager here, and he came good.

Tins obviously has desire and drive, but we made his position untenable. Our job was too big a job at the wrong time.

Nous in the transfer market?!! you're havin a laugh. :rofl2br:

because I have seen a lot of good players in a City shirt and he is only one of the many journeymen in my opinion - and I am certainly not an idiot

By that logic, Shearer is a "journeyman" at Newcastle...

Legend my a## :grr:

Agreed, there have been many players as good/better than Tinnion, but none seem to be thought of so much as a legend as BT. Perhaps it started with the Anfield goal, one legendary act certainly, but that doesn't make him a legend. Long serving, but then he's had praise and been highly paid for more years than I would have liked.

Time to let go I think ... he's been one of the most over-rated players in the club's history and, in my opinion, a real obstacle to progress at this club for the last 5 years at least.

Sorry Brian but in my opinion you'll never make it in football management. Yes, I accept you weren't a bad player but as a manager, well, the worst I've seen in the 27 years I've been supporting the club. File alongside Liam Brady, John Barnes, Peter Shilton, Mark Lawrenson etc

Give the bloke a chance!

Archived