IGNORED

Johnson Cop Out

megansdad

Don't judge me on this- why in heavens name not. He has a decent enough group of players but seems to have knocked the stuffing out of the team rather than sought to build up confidence- 8 goals against and none for in the last 3 games is hardly inspiring and falling out of the FA Cup at home to Notts County a really depressing result. But in some ways I find GJ's comments more depressing. He cannot rely on wholesale changes and must work with many of those in the present squad; to be so openly disrespectful of the team cannot be helping. while why on earth leave Stewart on the bench for the whole game.

Sorry I for one am not impressed by what I have seen from GJ lately and it looks like we are in for a struggle from here as GJ seems unable to motivate the group of players he has and comments such as today's will not help.

"don't judge me on this", i agree why the hell not, Tinnion was judged on these players, and at the moment they ARE your players GJ, deal with it....its your ######* job.You have a far better sqaud than many of your opposing teams in this league, you claimed they were quality, passionate, proffessionals, after your good start, and now you,ve spat the dummy. We cannot just sit and wait till january, you have a job to do in November and December, and so in my oppinion you WILL, and quite rightly SHOULD be judged on the job you do in that time.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think what nwe are actually seeing is the club finally getting to grips with ten years of failure. GJ has grabbed the nettle. Tins tried to, but was stuffed basically by his new players.

Our club lacks mental toughness, a desire and will to win. We have to change that, and as we are seeing, a number of players cannot cope.

We are not privvy to all that goes on behind the scenes, but be totally conviced, that in 12 months you will see the most passionate committed bcfc team the like of which we have not seen for 20 years. There is no point getting promoted and be found wanting. Luton had a terrible first year under Newall, then got the attitude right, and they are coping. Our players would never cope with pressure of a play off, a promotion push, or a higher league.

It is not pretty, and is very depressing, but for the first time in years, I beleive this process will reap strong rewards.

The Chairman will back GJ, wait and see.

The interesting common denominator in those 10 years has been SL.

He has been at the heart of this club as financial director and vice chairman & chairman for that entire duration.

We DO need to ask questions of our direction as a club as well.

Guest SteveinNC

I understand where you are coming from, but I think what nwe are actually seeing is the club finally getting to grips with ten years of failure. GJ has grabbed the nettle. Tins tried to, but was stuffed basically by his new players.

Our club lacks mental toughness, a desire and will to win. We have to change that, and as we are seeing, a number of players cannot cope.

We are not privvy to all that goes on behind the scenes, but be totally conviced, that in 12 months you will see the most passionate committed bcfc team the like of which we have not seen for 20 years. There is no point getting promoted and be found wanting. Luton had a terrible first year under Newall, then got the attitude right, and they are coping. Our players would never cope with pressure of a play off, a promotion push, or a higher league.

It is not pretty, and is very depressing, but for the first time in years, I beleive this process will reap strong rewards.

I agree. GJ cannot suddenly turn into a bad manager overnight. It will take him a little time to get it right, he hasn't yet found the right mixture of "hand grenades and soft soap,"but he will do it I am sure. I have every confidence that we will see a different City next season.

Apart from a couple of loans they are NOT his players. But in the main it's the same senior players that have let the fans down year in and out since relagation, make no mistake about that. Plus a few new ones that are along for the ride, courtesy of an atractive above average salary.

None of those senior players who have been part and parcel of Bristol City FC for so long can look back on this season so far with an once of professional pride. Even the one who thought he was hard done by so he went off to the Championship, only to be really found out and grovel back with his tail between his legs!

The problem Johnson has is that he has said what has needed to be said for years and obviously certain players don't like it. Just like they didn't when Benny L came in and we shipped 12 goals in two games. Funny thing is many of the "senior" pros that were part of that are still players at the club, funny that!

I don't want to get into a debate about Benny L, pointless exercise, but the point I'm making is that there is a culture at Bristol City which fosters I'm a big big fish in a small pound and I'm happy with that. Trouble is the majority of us it is clearly not, especially when this big fish is sinking to the bottom of this very small pond.

Johnson is in a very difficult situation, he knows what is required but he cannot do anything about it until January and that is a masive problem for all associated with the club. If we turn our back on Johnson now we really do jepodise the future of the club. If we stick with him we just might have a brighter future. But don't think the future lies with the majority of this first team squad, as it won't mater who is their manager, just look at our recent history and it's always the same old faces involved.

That has to be the one lesson of the last couple of months.

The problem Johnson has is that he has said what has needed to be said for years and obviously certain players don't like it. Just like they didn't when Benny L came in and we shipped 12 goals in two games. Funny thing is many of the "senior" pros that were part of that are still players at the club, funny that!

Losing to Wolves, and Bradford City (who had come down from the prem), is a bit different to losing to the likes of Barnet, Chesterfield, Notts County etc, etc. The players who lost to Wolves and Bradford were streets behind the oppostion in quality. The same cannot be said this time around.

Good psot Tales from the Front.

How can you compare teh judgement on Tins after a whole season in charge to the judgement we are making on GJ at the moment?

The team we was judging tinnion on was his own, it was amde up of palyers he chose and a lot of players he brought to the club.

This team at present is Tins team and GJ has to work with it. It is a team full of worthless overpaid idiots who don't have one ounce of care for this club. I am not judging Johnson on this team he didn't have to come out and ask me not to i already wasn't.

How anyone can posibly compare GJ to Tins already is beyond me.

Good psot Tales from the Front.

How can you compare teh judgement on Tins after a whole season in charge to the judgement we are making on GJ at the moment?

The team we was judging tinnion on was his own, it was amde up of palyers he chose and a lot of players he brought to the club.

This team at present is Tins team and GJ has to work with it. It is a team full of worthless overpaid idiots who don't have one ounce of care for this club. I am not judging Johnson on this team he didn't have to come out and ask me not to i already wasn't.

How anyone can posibly compare GJ to Tins already is beyond me.

just out of interest, when these wasters who have no passion for the club (sic), were signed, did you have trepidation? were you worried? did you think they were here for a free ride?

what makes you think that tinnion signed a load of wasters? perhaps the reasons a bit more deep seated? perhaps its something to do with the fans?

just out of interest, when these wasters who have no passion for the club (sic), were signed, did you have trepidation? were you worried? did you think they were here for a free ride?

what makes you think that tinnion signed a load of wasters? perhaps the reasons a bit more deep seated? perhaps its something to do with the fans?

All the gas just come back from Church!

What is it with the west folk, carrying on the myth that Bristol City's troubles are fan bassed. I'm sure all the gas forums have been endless threads of back slapping and how wonderful like is at the bottom of the fourth division, and how healthy the Atkins diet was etc.

Get in the real world will you, go and look at the Man U site this week, I haven't, but I'm pretty sure there would have been calls for Sir Alex's head. It's the same every where and I would have thought that if one myth that has been put to bed, then it's the myth that the Gas are realy loyal, and will support through thick and thin...blah, blah, blah.

The only reason Dunford got rid of Atkins was for purly business reasons as you deserted in your 000's or should that be 00's. That is a fact!

How can you possibly put it onto the fans?

We go there and pay for them to drive off in their fancy sports cars.

it is their job and responsibility to go out onto the pitch and get us a result. I know if i walked into my job put my feet up longed about all day i would be sacked and i am not on half of what they are. I also know that my manager would have the "power" to sack me and send some money on recruiting someone new. Expecially if it was not my manager who took me on in the first place.

When the palyers first come of coruse i was happy, I was happy that Tinnion was getting his own squad together and running the team his own way. When you get a new manager you get him so you can progress if he carries on the style that your last manager left on you will not go forwards you wil lremian static what is the use in that?

Now GJ is in I would expect him to be given the oppertunity to build up and mould his own team. Its simple if you don't like the club you are playing for or you are not willing to put in a bit of effort, passion and committment then go because you are worthless to the club.

it seems to be as if GJ is preaching this and good luck to him I would do exactly the same.

mayber i'll clarify.

Stewart, City through and through, massive pressure that he hasnt lived up too. Now after recieveing much critisism, has probably htought "Sod this, at least I'm rich!"

where does this pressure come from? I'm not sure what your on about with all this back slapping thats going on at the rovers, becuase there isnt any.

No one said Dunford sacked atkins for any other reason than business, talk about brain power to spot that one!

What i am saying, and not once have i refered to rovers, is that all these players were welcomed, and have good reputations, you don't become a bad player just like that, and 7 players don't become bad just like that.

perhaps, the fickelness of your fans (And any other fan, but you lot have to admit your fickle!) and the pressure applied by your fans may have something to do with it!

Ok but if you part with green backs then you expect a return, even somebody with my brain power can work that out!

And if your telling me the likes of Marcus Stewart and Bridges who have played in the Prem and Europe and Partrige who has played internationaly and aginst the Old Firm at Ibrox and Park Head, cannot take the powder keg as you appear to make it, that is Bristol City football club. Then we must have quite a reputation....!

Guest Whitchurch Red

Don't judge me on this- why in heavens name not. He has a decent enough group of players but seems to have knocked the stuffing out of the team rather than sought to build up confidence- 8 goals against and none for in the last 3 games is hardly inspiring and falling out of the FA Cup at home to Notts County a really depressing result. But in some ways I find GJ's comments more depressing. He cannot rely on wholesale changes and must work with many of those in the present squad; to be so openly disrespectful of the team cannot be helping. while why on earth leave Stewart on the bench for the whole game.

Sorry I for one am not impressed by what I have seen from GJ lately and it looks like we are in for a struggle from here as GJ seems unable to motivate the group of players he has and comments such as today's will not help.

I still think he is the man for the job and i want him to have a long time to get it right.We may fall quite a bit but in the long term we will be much better(erm i hope...).The thing that worried me was the comment about them not being his players.A lot of them were signed by the chairman,their his players and is GJ getting at the chairman already?If he is we could have yet more problems,it needed saying lets hope the chairman can take it on his chin and now back off.

I can tell you when things are bad we let them know and we can be right bar stewards when they are bad.

BUT when they are going good we also let them know and we can be the most supportive fans ever.

If you ak me thats fair enough credit when credit is due and the same goes for criticism. As long as its contructive.

Do you really think we should be praising the players and board for where we are now? You may be happy down in the basement league but we certianly are NOT!!!!!

oh yes, I'm absolutely smegging chuffed to be in the basement leauge!

but what I'm saying is all these players were good (well maybe besides bridges) before they came to you, now their all pants and wasters. that happened rather quickly. there must be something more to it than that.

It's simple...that Brsitol City will pay above average wages for this level and it's a nice little earner, in a nice part of the country.

But the problem is this. The club doesn't quite have enough money to buy quality in abundence a la Wigan, so the money we do spend has to be spent wisely. Unfortunately far to often it has been not.

We have signed players with long term injuries becuase we never used to give them full medicals, we sign players that are "social boys" to use a Gary Johnson expression, who influence the younger elements of the squad.

And finaly the club operates in a professional way above it's status compared to other lower league clubs. i.e washes their kit for them, overnight hotel stops, food even down to finding houses for players when them move and putting them up in hotels while they find a house. Anyone remember Keith Welch refusing to go to Blackpool because he would have to live in a B&B! So it;s seen as an easy life compared to other clubs at this level.

Those are some of the underlying issues at this football club.

The good news is that Gary Johnson has publicaly acknowledged them. The bad news is some of City fans appear to not want to give the bloke a chance. So I conceed in that regard we are partly responsible.

Johnson may well be the man for the job- but he knew the situation when he arrived, knows he can't change things until January and should be getting the best out of what he has got in the interim. At present he palpably is not and that is poor management - dropping grenades that blow your own leg off is a pretty daft thing to do- and if he really has upset half the squad then that makes no sense since by January we could be in a really dire place if they do not buck up. Therefore he should be judged on what he is producing now because it is him who is managing the players and him who is selecting the side. It may not be the side he wants but he is its manager and should be managing to get the best of what he's got.- might have been better advised to save the grenades until he could see the exit!!!

Seems strange for Johnson to state that he has decided who he wants in and who he wants out already. Not really motivating to either player group with 2 months football to play before the transfer window opens...

Why not be open minded while you can, and more importantly, ask the players to demonstrate if they are worth a slot in his future plans. No brainer?

Guest Harry Dolman

Seems strange for Johnson to state that he has decided who he wants in and who he wants out already. Not really motivating to either player group with 2 months football to play before the transfer window opens...

Why not be open minded while you can, and more importantly, ask the players to demonstrate if they are worth a slot in his future plans. No brainer?

Football is littered of examples of players looking on their way out & then turning the situation round. If any player does great in the remaining games between now & jan then the reality is that they will be retained. Irrespective of what appears in the press that is, always has been & always will be the scenario.

Interstingly when Sturrock took over at Wednesday last season, after a couple of games he went public & told the squad that they had 6 weeks to prove to him that they were up to it. Some made the grade, others didn't, but in the end it obviously worked.

BillyWedlocks a member of the board aint he????

Wake up!!

Archived