IGNORED

Points West Tonight 'a Must Watch'

JudgeRed

Ashton Gate 8 'Where are they now' . These guys MUST NEVER be forgotten

I have for a couple of years now been urging the club to put the 'old club sheild' (bridge, ball, robin) with the words 'Ashton Gate Eight' on to match day shirt sleeve in honor of the 8 players to be rememberd.

We must not forget what they did for us. They tore up their contracts to help this club survive. Contracts that would help feed their children, Pay their bills, etc. It was not an easy time for the club, Players, and fans. alike.

I was 15yrs old at the time and i remember watching the news footage on the tv (News at 05.45, News at Ten, Points West, HTV West, etc).

Your comments please.

Does anyone know where they are now?

My old man used to work with Julian Marshall's wife, I had the pleasure of being driven to a few games in Julian's sports car then watching them and then going in the players lounge - what a star struck 6 year old I was - quality guy! would love to know where he is and what he up to along with the others.

You just cant imagine any player tearing their contract up these day - what we could pay now for the 8's fighting spirit.

Your right never forget them!

Guest ashtonyate

Ashton Gate 8 'Where are they now' . These guys MUST NEVER be forgotten

I have for a couple of years now been urging the club to put the 'old club sheild' (bridge, ball, robin) with the words 'Ashton Gate Eight' on to match day shirt sleeve in honor of the 8 players to be rememberd.

We must not forget what they did for us. They tore up their contracts to help this club survive. Contracts that would help feed their children, Pay their bills, etc. It was not an easy time for the club, Players, and fans. alike.

I was 15yrs old at the time and i remember watching the news footage on the tv (News at 05.45, News at Ten, Points West, HTV West, etc).

Your comments please.

Sorry no I don't think they had a any other option the club could not offer them there money it was bankrupt

also remembering that they made a very good liven before we went bankrupt.As with now most could not cut the mustard that why we went bantrupt paying over the odds for average players

These guys were never really treated well by the club. Infact they were treated very badly. I agree that it was a tremendous act of loyalty by these guys. We're lucky that we had a team of local guys back then. Could you see Lee Peacock doing the same?

I know that the legends bar is a tribute to the acts of these eight men, but is that a big enough gesture. NO.

I don't know what should be done to mark these guys. Gimicks like badges on shirts, names of stands etc should be shunned. There are too many of them for a statue.

Maybe the club should present an award to the best up and coming youngster in honor of the 8. Some thing that means something to the fans and players alike. Who knows maybe one of the eight could present it to the winner!!!

:clap: these guys should never be forgotten, if it were not for them there would now be no bristol city fc. :clap:

:farmer: i find it hard to believe you would see any modern day footballers doing this sort of thing to save there club.

i was 20 in 1982, and at that time with no wife and mortgage to worry about, city was my life, all my money was spent following them home and away.

looking back now you realise what they did to save the club was nothing short of incredible.

i agree in what you say and i think that would be an excellant idea to have the old club shield and the words 'ashton gate eight' on the kit somewhere.

these boys should not be forgotten

:city::englandsmile4wf:

They were greedy average players that took us from the top to the bottom in 4 years, did they have any other choice?

In some respects i agree. Yes they were average players at the time. Afterall, they were transfered to 'lesser teams'. However, if you were offered an eleven year contract, you would take it too.

As far as them not being able to do anything about it, well, this is partly true. Tearing up the contracts just made it easier all round.

It's a gesture I'm sure you wouldn't consider if you were in their position. You got kids, wife and mortgage?

In some respects i agree. Yes they were average players at the time. Afterall, they were transfered to 'lesser teams'. However, if you were offered an eleven year contract, you would take it too.

As far as them not being able to do anything about it, well, this is partly true. Tearing up the contracts just made it easier all round.

It's a gesture I'm sure you wouldn't consider if you were in their position. You got kids, wife and mortgage?

Yeah but its not as if they wouldn't of found work, or were scrapping for a living. They were well paid

They were greedy average players that took us from the top to the bottom in 4 years, did they have any other choice?

They were a TEAM, something we are sorely lacking today. Give me those players anyday, than 90% of the crap we have now! At least they wanted to play for the badge and had respect for the supporters.

Yeah but its not as if they wouldn't of found work, or were scrapping for a living. They were well paid

Are you on cloud cukoo land pal? Well paid in the seventies and early eighties! Your sadly mistaken mate. Look at Paul Cheesley for example. Do you think David Beckham will be Man Utd's matchday host when he hangs up his boots?

Geoff Merrick's league days were over after the Ashton Gate 8 fiasco. This man was a Bristolian that played over 400 times for us. I think you should contact Geoff and tell him was was greedy and well paid prior to 1982. See what he tells you.

Are you on cloud cukoo land pal? Well paid in the seventies and early eighties! Your sadly mistaken mate. Look at Paul Cheesley for example. Do you think David Beckham will be Man Utd's matchday host when he hangs up his boots?

Geoff Merrick's league days were over after the Ashton Gate 8 fiasco. This man was a Bristolian that played over 400 times for us. I think you should contact Geoff and tell him was was greedy and well paid prior to 1982. See what he tells you.

got his number?

I can't believe what i'm reading on some of these posts.

Are you seriously trying to say that the likes of Chris Garland, Geoff Merrick, Gerry Sweeney, Trevor Tainton etc were greedy, average or overpaid.

These guys put their bodies on the line for this club, Garland in particular, and they are all working for a living now.

If you think these are average players then what do you make of our current playing staff.

I can only assume you weren't there in the 70's.

All of the above players held their own in the equivalent of the premiership.

Get real.

Ah..I'm bored of you mate. You need to wake up and smell the coffee!! What you say is partly correct but on a whole your a prat!

couldn't agree with you more, perhaps he could be introduced to the 8 and tell all of them what an overpaid bunch of losers they were to there faces. Better have a st john's ambulance crew handy though, I think he'd need it.

couldn't agree with you more, perhaps he could be introduced to the 8 and tell all of them what an overpaid bunch of losers they were to there faces. Better have a st john's ambulance crew handy though, I think he'd need it.

yes their sacrifice was big, and ment a huge risk on their career, and ment that bcfc could continue which we are all gratful for.

But They were on binding contracts that they sigend, were on high money for the time, and took us from top division to the bottom one in record time.

i'll set my video for that..

i agree these players must never be forgotten and they are just as important

to the clubs history as john atyeo and billy wedlock were to the club :)

i think there should be some plaque (as its 25 years soon) in the dolman

hall right in the middle of the fans brick thing, to show our gratitude and

respect to them, as we would not have a club without them.

Good points made here - for once a sensible thread!

So does anyone know what happened to any of them?

In 1982

Jimmy Mann went to Barnsley

Julian Marshall went to Blackburn

Trevor Tainton and David Rodgers went to Torquey

Gerry Sweeney and Peter Aitken went to York

Geoff Merrick and Chris Garland both went to play in Hong Kong

Jimmy Mann was a Marine Operator in Goole Docks

Julian Marshall last played for Stourbridge

Geoff Merrick was a self employed builder living in Nailsea

Trevor Tainton was a security guard at Oldbury Power Station

David Rodgers was the General Manager at Clifton College

Gerry Sweeney Not too sure what happened to him after being City's No 2 in 1996/97

Peter Aitken was still living in Bristol working for Rolls Royce

Chris Garland last I knew he was suffering from Parkinsons

All the above was correct in 1997. Not too sure what they're up to now.

So as you can see they all worked after they stopped playing football. Lucky they were well paid during their time at Ashton Gate eh.

yes their sacrifice was big, and ment a huge risk on their career, and ment that bcfc could continue which we are all gratful for.

But They were on binding contracts that they sigend, were on high money for the time, and took us from top division to the bottom one in record time.

But these players were playing when it was real football, Proper football. When football was played in mud up to their eye balls and players played for the club badge & their club fans. Unlike the bunch of over paid primadonas of today. Football today is a non-contact sport.

AshtonYate/hilltop - Come back tonight after the Points West programme (18:30) and give us some more oppinions about the Ashton Gate Eight. I think you will find you are both wrong in your oppinions right now. But then again are you men enough to admit to your mistakes? I don't think so.

?????????? they offered to drop wages to stay on and play, they also took reduced redundancy money.

chris garland played on for city on a match by match basis, they all went on to play for lower league

sides on less money, they all had bcfc at heart so they ripped their contacts up because of that fact,

if they were greedy they could have stood their ground and killed the club.

they got relegated as come the time at the end of their time in the first division they were all

pushing in their early 30's and nearing the end of their playing days, merrick come the end was

at city 12 years.

the board room killed city and it didn't help by offering players like clive whitehead (who was a great

player granted) 10 year contracts.

sorry fella the ashton gate 8 were far from greedy and wanted to play on for less money

but the administrators wouldn't allow it.

We aint never read so much utter crap! to this day they lads still have Bristol City

runnin` through their blood! Merrick works on the building`s an Sweeney as

been a postman....also Rodgers as been a Caretaker in a school, sounds like

they made a fortune out of the game then. I mentioned they three cos they were

at the supporters Trust do the other night....You should have gone down thur an

told um ta their face.

I don't know what should be done to mark these guys. Gimicks like badges on shirts, names of stands etc should be shunned. There are too many of them for a statue.

Maybe the club should present an award to the best up and coming youngster in honor of the 8. Some thing that means something to the fans and players alike. Who knows maybe one of the eight could present it to the winner!!!

i think that would be a great way to remember them. we can but hope that more players like the 8, with bristol city in their heart come from the academy, and it would be a great reminder of true club spirit if the best and most well rounded young proffesionals each year were awarded an honour in their memory.

someone should put this on ask steve L

In 1982

Jimmy Mann went to Barnsley

Julian Marshall went to Blackburn

Trevor Tainton and David Rodgers went to Torquey

Gerry Sweeney and Peter Aitken went to York

Geoff Merrick and Chris Garland both went to play in Hong Kong

Jimmy Mann was a Marine Operator in Goole Docks

Julian Marshall last played for Stourbridge

Geoff Merrick was a self employed builder living in Nailsea

Trevor Tainton was a security guard at Oldbury Power Station

David Rodgers was the General Manager at Clifton College

Gerry Sweeney Not too sure what happened to him after being City's No 2 in 1996/97

Peter Aitken was still living in Bristol working for Rolls Royce

Chris Garland last I knew he was suffering from Parkinsons

All the above was correct in 1997. Not too sure what they're up to now.

So as you can see they all worked after they stopped playing football. Lucky they were well paid during their time at Ashton Gate eh.

Gerry Sweeney - Now working as a postman in Portishead (Working out of the same office as Tom Ritchie)

Peter Aitken - Working for Bristol Rovers

But these players were playing when it was real football, Proper football. When football was played in mud up to their eye balls and players played for the club badge & their club fans. Unlike the bunch of over paid primadonas of today. Football today is a non-contact sport.

AshtonYate/hilltop - Come back tonight after the Points West programme (18:30) and give us some more oppinions about the Ashton Gate Eight. I think you will find you are both wrong in your oppinions right now. But then again are you men enough to admit to your mistakes? I don't think so.

I will admit my mistakes.

As you can tell from profile i am not old enough to have lived through that period. But i have read about the incident and heard about it from friends and family, and have based my opinion on that. Obviousley its a sore subject for most fans and when a differing opinion comes a long the first gut reaction for many is to burn me at the stake. But to insult my character on that is a bit stupid isn it?

No. Not really. As you said yourself you never lived through that period of our clubs history. I was very young at the time, and as a result never paid much attention to it. However, the older I get the more I relise the size of the sacrifice these eight chaps made.

They would all have had mortages, kids, wives and other financial commitments. To tear up a contract that would have secured their families short term future was a big gamble. I'm sure many other things were going on behind the scenes at the time regading their futures, but they made the ultimate sacrifice to secure the future of Bristol City Football Club.

This is something that people need to be made aware of. If it wasn't for them and Deryn Coller, Ken Sage, Bob Boyd, Bob Marshall, John Pontin and David Russe we'd all be without anything to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Come to think of it, the way things are now, I wish they hadn't bothered!!!! :whistle:

No. Not really. As you said yourself you never lived through that period of our clubs history. I was very young at the time, and as a result never paid much attention to it. However, the older I get the more I relise the size of the sacrifice these eight chaps made.

They would all have had mortages, kids, wives and other financial commitments. To tear up a contract that would have secured their families short term future was a big gamble. I'm sure many other things were going on behind the scenes at the time regading their futures, but they made the ultimate sacrifice to secure the future of Bristol City Football Club.

This is something that people need to be made aware of. If it wasn't for them and Deryn Coller, Ken Sage, Bob Boyd, Bob Marshall, John Pontin and David Russe we'd all be without anything to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Come to think of it, the way things are now, I wish they hadn't bothered!!!! :whistle:

:laugh:

Archived