IGNORED

One Goal.....

Tinmansleftboot

Now, I'm bored with all the serious chat about our finances and the Ashton Gate 8. So, on a lighter note, If you could go back in time and witness a City goal what would it be and why? Was it an important promotion winning goal? Was it a goal mouth scramble that, for some reason, sticks out? Or was it a meaningless strike that you celebrated wildly!!

My personal fav is Christian Roberts winner at Mansfield....Or was it Mickey Bells belter at Meadow Lane in the 4-4 draw a few years back!!!! Doh..you can pick two too!!!!

Is what happened two weeks ago the extent of your happpiness Dave. I appreciate that you are probably very happy after your win against us. However, is your gloating going to go on for ever? I've lost count of the number of times I've seen City beat swindle home and away. I've never gloated or boasted for a number of reasons. The main reason being that I fully expect to beat your tin pot out fit and as a result its all totally inconsequential when we win or loose.

ROb Edwards Vs. Bolton at home in john ward's last match in charge. not the best goal but having only notched our first win of the season against crewe the weekend before(? corret me if wrong please) him just managing to lift it over the keeper in front of the ateyo in put us 2-1 up after going down 0-1 was ace! felt very optimistic. then ward walked. optimisum died.

louie Donowa - scored against the g*s in a one nil win after the sags had missed a penalty in front of the east end. It was a mid-week game and I was stood on the open end. Before kick off there was a minutes silence for a past chairman - Harry Dolman maybe??!! Anyway needless to say the away end neglected to fall silent, and this was followed by the loudest rendition of "you're just a bunch of ##nkers" I have ever heard, bellowing out from all sides of the ground!

Happy days. :dance:

louie Donowa - scored against the g*s in a one nil win after the sags had missed a penalty in front of the east end. It was a mid-week game and I was stood on the open end. Before kick off there was a minutes silence for a past chairman - Harry Dolman maybe??!! Anyway needless to say the away end neglected to fall silent, and this was followed by the loudest rendition of "you're just a bunch of ##nkers" I have ever heard, bellowing out from all sides of the ground!

I think it was for Director Des Williams?

Guest pentlandsl

Amazed that no-one has mentioned the 42 Yard Jimmy Mann goal against Peter Shilton -truley the best goal ever scored at Ashton Gate. Shilton, no.1 in the world at that time, could only grasp at air as it rifled into the top corner of the net in front ofthe East End (and a 30000+ crowd I believe at the time), with me right in line with the ball as it hit the netting- still tingle today recalling it!

March 4th 1986-- Keith Curle ran from his own half on a dazzling solo run and scored by rounding the keeper, I remember it so well because it was my birthday. Unfortunately I cannot remember the opposition or the score (3-0 maybe) but it was a Tuesday night game and I remember it being a special goal, though perhaps time has given me an idealised view of it, I expect if I were to see a re-run on video it would not appear so outstanding. Can anyone remember it??

March 4th 1986-- Keith Curle ran from his own half on a dazzling solo run and scored by rounding the keeper, I remember it so well because it was my birthday. Unfortunately I cannot remember the opposition or the score (3-0 maybe) but it was a Tuesday night game and I remember it being a special goal, though perhaps time has given me an idealised view of it, I expect if I were to see a re-run on video it would not appear so outstanding. Can anyone remember it??

John Galley's last minute winner against Cardiff City in 1971 I think.It was our first home win and it was around Christmas time.My Dad said come on we'll go now and just as we were about to leave the East End we turned around to see Galley pounce.Also Gerry Gow's quick free kick against Sunderland in 74.

But how can anyone forget Keith Fear's equaliser against Leeds in 74 or Donnie Gillies winner in the replay.

Glory days.

Donnie Gillies in the famous in the FA CUP win at unbeatable (at the time) Leeds Utd 1974 infront of nearly 50,000

It would have to be that one, or else the other great Donnie Gillies goal at Coventry to make it 2-2 with 8 minutes left. Had he not scored we would have been relegated.

Never known atmosphere like it at a football night, and never known such a great time celebrating with Coventry fans afterwards in the pub. :)

As Jimmy Mann's goal has already been picked, I would go for the goal Chris Garland scored against R*vers in the Anglo Scottish Cup in 1978. City won 6-1 and Garland kneeled down and headed into an empty net right in front of the Gas fans.

I spoke to him about it on Monday and he commented that even nearly 30 years later, they still won't show it on the TV. Fear of riots on Muller Road? :dunno::laugh:

The Keith Curle goal was against Newport County and it was one of the best goals I have seen at AG.

Agostinis goal against the gas sticks in my memory as he collected the ball on the halve way line beat a couple of players. I think that it was a televised match.

This goal almost got my mate arrested we were leaving the Dolman and watched the goal from the top of the steps. My mate made a hand gesture towards the gas in the away end. Behind him a copper was just trying to feel his collar. As this moment I grabbed him the copper missed him by an inch and we ran down the stairs. Didnt go in the Dolman for the rest of the season in case we were recongnised.

The goal we scored away midweek to Forest in the cup, 1st leg, put us in the lead......cant remember who scored, a defender I think. Mardon was it?

Or Tinmans goal at Anfield.............

Or Robbos goal against the monkey hangers.............

Guest Harry Dolman

I'm guessing it was March/April 1986. 2nd leg of the Freight Rover v Hereford, City (always making things hard for themselves) are 2 - 0. Amazingly we get it back to 2-2 - then a heart stopping moment as Mel Pejic ( I think) hits a screamer against Waugh's cross bar & then.................

Bang in front of the East End, the ball comes to Stevie Neville - about 8 yards out , the entire ground (bar a few Hereford fans) scream "shoot", but no, not our Stevie, instead he faints to shoot & sells a little dummy, suddenly theres silence, time stands still, we can't open our mouths else our hearts will pop out, & then the only calm head in the house calmly slots the ball into the net & the place goes mad.

4 years after near extinction, City are at Wembley. I was in my early teens, i think this was the moment my love for City was sealed.

A moot point but Riley & Neville showed that you don't have to have a big man upfront to do well.

Archived