IGNORED

Savage

AllTimeRed

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Why not give Gillespie a chance?

He's had plenty, and right now he isn't here, so instead of slagging off someone who's done nothing wrong except from not having the best background, try looking at the posatives.

To be fair I didnt see much of him but don't think he's going to score 20 odd goals to save us from relegation, just the way he runs wiith the ball and his general play, doesnt look very good. Also a mate who went to doncaster said he had trouble "generally running straight"

To be fair I didnt see much of him but don't think he's going to score 20 odd goals to save us from relegation, just the way he runs wiith the ball and his general play, doesnt look very good. Also a mate who went to doncaster said he had trouble "generally running straight"

thas through being p155ed

He was not as bad as I had feared, BUT he does not look good enough for this level, and is not what we need. We put in so few crosses that a big guy is not needed, and there is not enough pace in the side to feed off him. There seems to be other issues with Bridges, but surely Gillespie, who has a bit of pace and commitment, or even Madjo, who did not look great, but looked more what we need than Savage.

WHAT DID HE DO WRONG

Stewart aside there's not exactly much pedigree in our squad is there.

Give the chap a chance

No pace, no skill on the ball, lost a header to someone six inches shorter, didn't put any pressure on the opposition. I'd have expected a forward of that type to cause alot more trouble than he did, which was pretty much none.

I agree that it is unfair to slam him on his background alone but what did he do right?

Nibor

He's had plenty, and right now he isn't here, so instead of slagging off someone who's done nothing wrong except from not having the best background, try looking at the posatives.

Gillespie has started 4 games for us. Thats hardly a chance.

I agree that Savage did nothing wrong, but everytime he gets on the ball he's clumsy, gets beat in the air far too much and doesn't score goals at any level.

No goals in 28 games aparently.

Yes, but his career has never really started due to injury problems when at Reading. He's been out on loan for short spells which I'm sure hasn't helped him get into any sort of rhythm.

I don't think he's as bad as some are suggesting, and I saw Bas play a couple of times for Bury last year. He certainly worked hard. Admittedly he's not a prolific scorer but did anybody say he was?

I personally don't think he's what our club needs right now. I think he's an honest hard-working player but he's not the solution to our inability to score goals. However, it seems a lot of us have unrealistic expectations of him, and this is refelcted in how we rate him. It seems we've already decided he's useless.

To be honest, we're bottom of League One and that's not a position that attracts players to come to Ashton Gate. GJ's taken a chance on Bas - it might or might not reap dividends for the club. As Willsbridge Red says, he hasn't done much wrong so far. OK, so he's not Michael Owen, but what do we expect?

We should give him a bit of time to prove what he can do. I think there have been worse players at City down the years...

WHAT DID HE DO WRONG

Give the chap a chance

Agreed. I was very sceptical before tonight but I thought he did ok and actually looked quite quick. I wouldnt say he's naturally skillful but he certainly tries hard.

WHAT DID HE DO WRONG

Give the chap a chance

Not much pedigree??????

What about wilkshire? he worked his socks off, and Brooker, Orr played Ok as right back, overall we looked good for a change, Savage unfortunatley looks a donkey

in 1 word crap

:rofl2br: now that is what we call priceless!!!

i think the stats speak for themselves!

Savage is living proof that this club will be relegated this season if we continue the way we are.

maybe, thinking about it, that is the plan. because all other reasoning seems to boggle my mind

He was not as bad as I had feared, BUT he does not look good enough for this level, and is not what we need. We put in so few crosses that a big guy is not needed, and there is not enough pace in the side to feed off him. There seems to be other issues with Bridges, but surely Gillespie, who has a bit of pace and commitment, or even Madjo, who did not look great, but looked more what we need than Savage.

bas seems to be our fortune up front... the guy is not a class striker at this level and from the glimpse we saw last night says he's got no more to offer than madjo... Not good enough for us i'm afraid .... if he's our only replacement for brooker and stewart then i cant see where the goals will come from... we need better cover till january which means we need gillespie or bridges back..... we need to have players that can come on and change the game for us... someone that offers us a chance!

How about we judge the guy on his performances in a city shirt not on what the stats say ? I thought he looked ok last night and he certainly caused a bit of mayhem in the box from set pieces.

Far to many people act like sheep, judge him on what you have seen which at the moment is about 100 minutes of football.

How about we judge the guy on his performances in a city shirt not on what the stats say ? I thought he looked ok last night and he certainly caused a bit of mayhem in the box from set pieces.

Far to many people act like sheep, judge him on what you have seen which at the moment is about 100 minutes of football.

From what I saw he was far from OK last night. Bas seems to find even the basics of football difficult, running, controlling the ball etc.

He did cause mayhem in the box but I think that's more down to the fact he isn't sure what he is doing... the words "headless chicken" spring to mind.

Sorry but he is not the type of player we need at the moment - even in a bad team he looks worse!!!

Well said. It pees me off to hear people jeering him as soon as he runs on the pitch, just what we need to lift player's spirits.

It doesn't take long to recognise poor talent (is that an oxymoron?)

Savage is living proof that this club will be relegated this season if we continue the way we are.

Absolutely spot on SR,

Savage is awful, why GJ replaced MS with him I will never know, I cant believe Bridges is on loan, and Savage is replacing him. Give me Bridges any time.

It doesn't take long to recognise poor talent.

Really? So your not willing to let the guy have a few weeks to settle in and get to know his team mates? Learn the way the manager wants the team to play, learn how the manager wants him to play ?

I'm not saying he is the next Ronaldo but surely you cant judge a player on around 100 minutes of football, He may turn out to be out of his depth or you never know he just may become a useful squad player.

Really? So your not willing to let the guy have a few weeks to settle in and get to know his team mates? Learn the way the manager wants the team to play, learn how the manager wants him to play ?

I'm not saying he is the next Ronaldo but surely you cant judge a player on around 100 minutes of football, He may turn out to be out of his depth or you never know he just may become a useful squad player.

So you now need a couple of weeks to settle in to be able to run properly and control a ball. I'm sorry but you should be able to control the ball first time a a profesional. (not trying to controling it after 5 touchs then falling on your backside a la Doncaster)

Is it any wonder why Forest Green turned him away - he would stuggle at that level never mind ours.

I must admit that, to put it lightly, Mr Savage did not impress me one iota last night. I cant imagine what MS was thinking sitting on the bench watching the player who had come onto replace him.

I have also been told that Mr Murray was asked about Mr Savage (they were at Reading at the same time) and that his advice appears to have been ignored.........

Guest Harry Dolman

I must admit that, to put it lightly, Mr Savage did not impress me one iota last night. I cant imagine what MS was thinking sitting on the bench watching the player who had come onto replace him.

I have also been told that Mr Murray was asked about Mr Savage (they were at Reading at the same time) and that his advice appears to have been ignored.........

hmm, perhaps all those months ago we should have asked Mr Savage what he thought about us re-signing Mr Murray............. VFM ?????????

Due to work, I couldn't go last night so I haven't seen Bas perform. If you look at Johnsons comments they were along the lines of "he is like having a diferrent golf club in your bag". I don't think for 1 min that Johnson thinks Savage will score 20 & make us safe. It seems clear to me that he is here to offer us something we don't already have - i.e a big brute of a forward.

On here and other forums (& from speaking to people who went to the game) there are some interesting opinions:

Noble & Russell are a) the best central midfield we have had but also b) rubbish

Woodman & Orr should a) never play for us again but b) were our best peformers last night

Stewart is a) excellent, should never have been replaced & b) ineffective.

I hate missing games ...........

I refer the honourabe gentleman to my previous comment.

Before he learns how the manager wants the team to play or him to play, he needs to learn how to play professional football - he is that poor.

Archived