IGNORED

Swindle

Guest swindlered

Guest swindlered

The appointment of Ron Atkinson to help Iffy Onoura sickens me. Is it a coincidence that he has come out of his self-inflicted retirement to help a coloured manager. I think not. Given that Swindle are becoming increasingly hard to beat Onoura has done a good job since Andy King left and arguably does not need any help.

Also Sky TV are to film a docusoap on Big Ron's re-emergence, what chance that the cash-strapped Wiltshire club are also receiving some readies out of the whole deal. The whole thing appears to be a cynical publicity stunt with it being used as a rehab programme for Ron to re-enter the football mainstream.

How will the Wiltshire club prostitute themselves next, players doing over-time down Manchester Road?

Guest sprout1883

The appointment of Ron Atkinson to help Iffy Onoura sickens me. Is it a coincidence that he has come out of his self-inflicted retirement to help a coloured manager. I think not. Given that Swindle are becoming increasingly hard to beat Onoura has done a good job since Andy King left and arguably does not need any help.

Also Sky TV are to film a docusoap on Big Ron's re-emergence, what chance that the cash-strapped Wiltshire club are also receiving some readies out of the whole deal. The whole thing appears to be a cynical publicity stunt with it being used as a rehab programme for Ron to re-enter the football mainstream.

How will the Wiltshire club prostitute themselves next, players doing over-time down Manchester Road?

This would be the same Big Ron who played Batson and regis at west Brom

Guest Barneyredballs

Kick racism out of football? Or let it in by the back door? If we'd have appointed him, I'd be knocking on the chair's door by now.

PS: Is Iffy orange or pink? ;)

• Admin

The appointment of Ron Atkinson to help Iffy Onoura sickens me.

He hasn't been appointed by Swindon - according to the R5 interview with Iffy Onoura, he is only there to make the documentary, bit Onoura did say he'd be foolish not to listen to such an experienced man.

He hasn't been appointed by Swindon - according to the R5 interview with Iffy Onoura, he is only there to make the documentary, bit Onoura did say he'd be foolish not to listen to such an experienced man.

It is true that Atkinson has plenty of managerial experience, but I'm scratching my head trying to think what he's actually WON in management....... anyone know? :dunno:

Guest leedsred

It is true that Atkinson has plenty of managerial experience, but I'm scratching my head trying to think what he's actually WON in management....... anyone know? :dunno:

He's won the league cup on a couple of occassions with Aston Villa plus other...

FA Cup with Manchester United.

Promotion a couple of times with West Brom.

Think that's about it, not sure if he's coached abroad.

He's won the league cup on a couple of occassions with Aston Villa plus other...

FA Cup with Manchester United.

Promotion a couple of times with West Brom.

Think that's about it, not sure if he's coached abroad.

Thanks...

Not exactly set the football world on fire has he?

(burned a few crosses whilst wearing white robes?)

Guest Fred Fjord

A lot of our fans are none too happy with having Atkinson around the place, but its money to the club. Iffy is happy with it and the club has final editorial control.

Given your city's history of engagement in the slave trade, I'm sure you appreciate the need to try and reconcile the past and move on.

A lot of our fans are none too happy with having Atkinson around the place, but its money to the club. Iffy is happy with it and the club has final editorial control.

Given your city's history of engagement in the slave trade, I'm sure you appreciate the need to try and reconcile the past and move on.

Bit different really. The history of my City is no indicator of my own attitude, whereas, Big Ron's inability to learn from his first bout of being caught out making racist jibes, and to do so again, says a fair deal about his attitude. I appreciate that he's from a different era, but if you can't moderate your behaviour, you've no right to make a great deal of money on national television and deserve to lose the respect of annoying do-gooders like me.

Glad he ain't at City.

The City of Bristol's involvement in the slave trade was undertaken at a time when slavery was legal, whereas in the 21st. century most decent people are a little more enlightened about the issues of race relations, unlike Big Ron, obviously, who today stated that he doesn't see himself as a racist.

(By the way, at the time of the slave trade - and until less than a century ago - my ancestors were being victimised by an oppressive British colonial government in Ireland, but I don't make a fuss about it).

The City of Bristol's involvement in the slave trade was undertaken at a time when slavery was legal, whereas in the 21st. century most decent people are a little more enlightened about the issues of race relations, unlike Big Ron, obviously, who today stated that he doesn't see himself as a racist.

(By the way, at the time of the slave trade - and until less than a century ago - my ancestors were being victimised by an oppressive British colonial government in Ireland, but I don't make a fuss about it).

I'm sure Ron has some witty put-downs for the Irish too, Redkev.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Big Ron made an ill-advised comment, yeah anyone would think he's the re-incarnation of the KKK founder.

He's said sorry, give the man a chance I say

Although one can't condone Rons conduct I don't believe in all this high horse jumping, what does the Good Book say Rev. 'Let he with no sin cast the first stone'. It is no coincidence that Iffy is black I s'pect enquiries were also made into a possible role found for him at Torquay.

The issue of racism is a deep and complex one and so I'll be f'd if I'm going to give my face value oppinion on here

I think i'd be more agrieved about Fat Ron coming to City on footballing grounds in the same way I was when they employed Tony Pulis over David Moyes

Big Ron made an ill-advised comment, yeah anyone would think he's the re-incarnation of the KKK founder.

He actually did it twice, some years before a similar event happened. If you do something that idiotic not once but twice, expect to be called an idiot.

Although one can't condone Rons conduct I don't believe in all this high horse jumping, what does the Good Book say Rev. 'Let he with no sin cast the first stone'.

There are issues of repentance here. Did you see the documentary about Ron a few months ago? Maybe I misunderstood it but when people asked him why did he say what he said, Ron couldn't answer, he didn't see himself as a racist (a statement he repeated today) and in essence seemed to think the problem was in the mind of everyone else.

If he was to make it very clear that in today's climate the use of a racist term is not acceptable then I think people would be prepared to say "ok, fair enough."

There are issues of repentance here. Did you see the documentary about Ron a few months ago? Maybe I misunderstood it but when people asked him why did he say what he said, Ron couldn't answer, he didn't see himself as a racist (a statement he repeated today) and in essence seemed to think the problem was in the mind of everyone else.

If he was to make it very clear that in today's climate the use of a racist term is not acceptable then I think people would be prepared to say "ok, fair enough."

Yeah, fair enough

Hes just not really in touch with todays standards of decency is he? I don't believe he is racist though

I don't think Ron is a racist. His work in bringing through black players when he was a manager shows that. He's just from a different generation and he can't understand why using the n-word as a label for a black person is unacceptable.

He's 66 (I think), still in control of his faculties, so I don't think he is justified to plead ignorance. His bringing on of black players was because they were good players, not because he wanted to promote black consciousness in professional football.

He's 66 (I think), still in control of his faculties, so I don't think he is justified to plead ignorance. His bringing on of black players was because they were good players, not because he wanted to promote black consciousness in professional football.

exactly if they were good enough they were black enough. It didn't strike him as an issue

I don't think Ron is a racist. His work in bringing through black players when he was a manager shows that. He's just from a different generation and he can't understand why using the n-word as a label for a black person is unacceptable.

His comments about certain people living in trees proved that it wasn't just the N-word that he struggled with. He's of a different generation, but doesn't have the mental capacity to alter his behaviour or beliefs, which is sad in a way. It's a shame he's ignorant.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Looks like the newspapers have exagerrated Ron's involvement. Personally I'd be happy for him to have an official role, Iffy needs all the help he can get, we've only won 3 games under him which is not great and we're one place lower than when he arrived. We'd probably be a lot higher in the table if we hadn't made any changes.

Guest STFC_Gazza

I think its sick to hire this bigot. It takes the (Am I naughty or what!) bringing him in with a black manager its all a publicity stunt. personally Gary Linekar would have been a better choice to host the docu-soap but I suppose any publicity is good publicity.

Guest Fred Fjord

I think its sick to hire this bigot. It takes the (Am I naughty or what!) bringing him in with a black manager its all a publicity stunt. personally Gary Linekar would have been a better choice to host the docu-soap but I suppose any publicity is good publicity.

I trust you'll be staging some sort of protest, like your effort over the CG redevelopment?

Pic in the Adver that sort of thing.....you did do the protest?

Kick racism out of football? Or let it in by the back door? If we'd have appointed him, I'd be knocking on the chair's door by now.

PS: Is Iffy orange or pink? ;)

get a life

get a life even murderers get re hab

get a life even murderers get re hab

I can't understand why it is offensive for a white man to use the "n" word to describe a black person, but it is apparently not offensive when a black man uses it towards another black man. Its seems to be offensive when people want it to be, either its a word that shouldnt be used by anyone, or its a word that anyone can use.

Guest BemiBlue

I can't understand why it is offensive for a white man to use the "n" word to describe a black person, but it is apparently not offensive when a black man uses it towards another black man. Its seems to be offensive when people want it to be, either its a word that shouldnt be used by anyone, or its a word that anyone can use.

Its the concept you use it in, you might call your mate a C U Next Tuesday when he beats you at pool but you don't mean it in the same way as when you say it to the bloke in the pub whose just spilt your pint

Its the concept you use it in, you might call your mate a C U Next Tuesday when he beats you at pool but you don't mean it in the same way as when you say it to the bloke in the pub whose just spilt your pint

Btw, the word is Context! :-)

Guest BemiBlue

Btw, the word is Context! :-)

Yeah well I am in work and was rushing. I thought it didnt look right but i'm not particlary bovvered what me grammar sounds like on a Sh!thead forum

COLOURED?? WHAT HE IS RED OF SUMMIT?

Guest The Codfather 0312

Once again another football club is doing silly things for money. Iffy may hate the guy for what Big Ron said but he has to pretend he likes the guy and say nice things about him just becasue Swindon are getting a nice sum of money for this.

Guest maidenheadred

... you don't see this for what it is then? They've picked an amusing, struggling, yokel football club, and have picked an amusing choice of presenter, and they're going to try and edit this to give everyone a laugh, and try and create a new cult classic.

Do you think Graham Taylor realised the damage that England vid did to his credibility? If all goes well (or badly, from your point of view) the beeb might just have created a monster! And as it's not scripted, there won't be a happy ending....!

The appointment of Ron Atkinson to help Iffy Onoura sickens me. Is it a coincidence that he has come out of his self-inflicted retirement to help a coloured manager.

Amuses me that you start a thread on racism but are the only one to use racist language - I think you need a ten week ban to consider your language :englandsmile4wf:

The issue of racism is so complex I can't be bothered to get into the nitty gritty details in a chat forum esp. one for City - Juicy topic though it is. You do have a case there to argue though

Yeah well I am in work and was rushing. I thought it didnt look right but i'm not particlary bovvered what me grammar sounds like on a Sh!thead forum

p155 off you ****.

The words context and concept have entirely different meanings. looks as though grammar is another learning difficulty you're going to have to get to grips with.

So not only did you draw a bad lot in terms of football clubs to support you strike me as generally just not very bright. ( I suppose the two aren't completely muturally exclusive)

Nothing personal.

Guest stfc_dave

He used a derogatory term. One that belongs in the past. He was punished badly for it and lost his reputation. Why keep on about it? How many 70 year olds have used the word *Racist Term Removed in their lives? My grandparents and probably yours too. I have no excuses for slipping out such a term. But Big Ron is an old man and he deserves forgiveness because of his long service to the game.

You are ignorant. You just want to ruin the bloke without even thinking about the circumstances in which he said it. His childhood was the 50's ###

White people have used the word to insult black people for a long time, and such idiots should stop doing so. Black people are well within their right to use the word in whatever context they like, they've had to tolerate the abuse and should be allowed to take ownership of the word however they see fit.

Why should white people have a problem with showing respect to people of other races? If not using certain words is a way of showing respect, well it's the least we can do. After all, the white man has a history of disrespect, not to mention brutality, to other races. Now that we live in (supposedly) more enlightened times we should make every effort to show such respect.

Thankfully you don't hear racist abuse down Ashton Gate much nowadays, and I suggest we keep it that way (don't let Big Ron through the turnstiles!). I hope Ron has learnt from twice making his mistake, but worry that it's beyond him to comprehend his faults.

Well said Wills. As far as I know (And no doubt someone will corect me if I'm wrong) I don't see any of the names of black footballers having a go at him. after he did give Regis & Cunningham their break did he not.

Also had he said something real bad, reckon the Race Relations mob would have prosecuted n'est pas? :dunno:

White people have used the word to insult black people for a long time, and such idiots should stop doing so. Black people are well within their right to use the word in whatever context they like, they've had to tolerate the abuse and should be allowed to take ownership of the word however they see fit.

Why should white people have a problem with showing respect to people of other races? If not using certain words is a way of showing respect, well it's the least we can do. After all, the white man has a history of disrespect, not to mention brutality, to other races. Now that we live in (supposedly) more enlightened times we should make every effort to show such respect.

Thankfully you don't hear racist abuse down Ashton Gate much nowadays, and I suggest we keep it that way (don't let Big Ron through the turnstiles!). I hope Ron has learnt from twice making his mistake, but worry that it's beyond him to comprehend his faults.

Fair enough, but what about black, and other races racially inspired insults towards white people? All racism is wrong, but people will slip the odd racist comment in moments of frustration, we're all human, and we do err on occasion

Fair enough, but what about black, and other races racially inspired insults towards white people? All racism is wrong, but people will slip the odd racist comment in moments of frustration, we're all human, and we do err on occasion

You name me a non-white football pundit that has made racist comments and I'll call them an idiot too. That's fair isn't it?

We're all human, but we're not all racist.

You name me a non-white football pundit that has made racist comments and I'll call them an idiot too. That's fair isn't it?

We're all human, but we're not all racist.

Pedantic, it has to be said, but true. I doubt Ian Wright aside any of them have passion bout anything.

What I actually meant was every day ordinary people, ....been insulted meself by some of em in London, and just wonder how you feel on this?

Question for you now though:

I met John Barnes years ago when a Watford player, came across with the rest of the team for a chariity night at my pub (The keeper Steve Sherwood was married to the publicans daughter) Now then he had a cockernee/Luuuundumb accent- not strong, but definitely an accent. The first time I saw him as a Scouse player, he had this Jamaican type one. Now why would he do this? Beleive me Watfart fans aint racist, and in all truth outside of slum estates, it wasnt a problem in general then And he was an England player then......

Pedantic, it has to be said, but true. I doubt Ian Wright aside any of them have passion bout anything.

What I actually meant was every day ordinary people, ....been insulted meself by some of em in London, and just wonder how you feel on this?

Question for you now though:

I met John Barnes years ago when a Watford player, came across with the rest of the team for a chariity night at my pub (The keeper Steve Sherwood was married to the publicans daughter) Now then he had a cockernee/Luuuundumb accent- not strong, but definitely an accent. The first time I saw him as a Scouse player, he had this Jamaican type one. Now why would he do this? Beleive me Watfart fans aint racist, and in all truth outside of slum estates, it wasnt a problem in general then And he was an England player then......

There are idiots of all races, that's a fact. I'd like to think that the majority of all races/nationalities etc are decent enough people, and that the idiots are a minority. Who knows?

I can't really comment on Barnes cause I don't know anything about him, don't know why he'd speak differently like you say??

On the Big Ron thing, even people who don't mind his comments must admit that anyone, regardless of their age, that is employed as a well-paid sports pundit should be able to moderate their behaviour when at work. He twice put his foot in it and paid the price. I'm well within my rights to criticise him.

That's right ....... It is time the 'Black' Slave traders/merchants of Africa admitted their part in the capture of tribesmen for the selling of......... As you say move on eh?

coloured manager.

not sure you are using appropriate language yourself.../

There are idiots of all races, that's a fact. I'd like to think that the majority of all races/nationalities etc are decent enough people, and that the idiots are a minority. Who knows?

I can't really comment on Barnes cause I don't know anything about him, don't know why he'd speak differently like you say??

On the Big Ron thing, even people who don't mind his comments must admit that anyone, regardless of their age, that is employed as a well-paid sports pundit should be able to moderate their behaviour when at work. He twice put his foot in it and paid the price. I'm well within my rights to criticise him.

Aint disagreeing with the main part of the arguement, and he's far from bright, but hey he did give some black players a chance. Think hes stupid rather than a racist.. :dunno:

Guest Fred Fjord

That's right ....... It is time the 'Black' Slave traders/merchants of Africa admitted their part in the capture of tribesmen for the selling of......... As you say move on eh?

The Tuareg of Niger and Mali still retain slaves to this day.

Archived