IGNORED

Swindle

swindlered

The appointment of Ron Atkinson to help Iffy Onoura sickens me. Is it a coincidence that he has come out of his self-inflicted retirement to help a coloured manager. I think not. Given that Swindle are becoming increasingly hard to beat Onoura has done a good job since Andy King left and arguably does not need any help.

Also Sky TV are to film a docusoap on Big Ron's re-emergence, what chance that the cash-strapped Wiltshire club are also receiving some readies out of the whole deal. The whole thing appears to be a cynical publicity stunt with it being used as a rehab programme for Ron to re-enter the football mainstream.

How will the Wiltshire club prostitute themselves next, players doing over-time down Manchester Road?

Guest sprout1883

The appointment of Ron Atkinson to help Iffy Onoura sickens me. Is it a coincidence that he has come out of his self-inflicted retirement to help a coloured manager. I think not. Given that Swindle are becoming increasingly hard to beat Onoura has done a good job since Andy King left and arguably does not need any help.

Also Sky TV are to film a docusoap on Big Ron's re-emergence, what chance that the cash-strapped Wiltshire club are also receiving some readies out of the whole deal. The whole thing appears to be a cynical publicity stunt with it being used as a rehab programme for Ron to re-enter the football mainstream.

How will the Wiltshire club prostitute themselves next, players doing over-time down Manchester Road?

This would be the same Big Ron who played Batson and regis at west Brom

Kick racism out of football? Or let it in by the back door? If we'd have appointed him, I'd be knocking on the chair's door by now.

PS: Is Iffy orange or pink? ;)

He hasn't been appointed by Swindon - according to the R5 interview with Iffy Onoura, he is only there to make the documentary, bit Onoura did say he'd be foolish not to listen to such an experienced man.

It is true that Atkinson has plenty of managerial experience, but I'm scratching my head trying to think what he's actually WON in management....... anyone know? :dunno:

It is true that Atkinson has plenty of managerial experience, but I'm scratching my head trying to think what he's actually WON in management....... anyone know? :dunno:

He's won the league cup on a couple of occassions with Aston Villa plus other...

FA Cup with Manchester United.

Promotion a couple of times with West Brom.

Think that's about it, not sure if he's coached abroad.

He's won the league cup on a couple of occassions with Aston Villa plus other...

FA Cup with Manchester United.

Promotion a couple of times with West Brom.

Think that's about it, not sure if he's coached abroad.

Thanks...

Not exactly set the football world on fire has he?

(burned a few crosses whilst wearing white robes?)

Guest Fred Fjord

A lot of our fans are none too happy with having Atkinson around the place, but its money to the club. Iffy is happy with it and the club has final editorial control.

Given your city's history of engagement in the slave trade, I'm sure you appreciate the need to try and reconcile the past and move on.

A lot of our fans are none too happy with having Atkinson around the place, but its money to the club. Iffy is happy with it and the club has final editorial control.

Given your city's history of engagement in the slave trade, I'm sure you appreciate the need to try and reconcile the past and move on.

Bit different really. The history of my City is no indicator of my own attitude, whereas, Big Ron's inability to learn from his first bout of being caught out making racist jibes, and to do so again, says a fair deal about his attitude. I appreciate that he's from a different era, but if you can't moderate your behaviour, you've no right to make a great deal of money on national television and deserve to lose the respect of annoying do-gooders like me.

Glad he ain't at City.

The City of Bristol's involvement in the slave trade was undertaken at a time when slavery was legal, whereas in the 21st. century most decent people are a little more enlightened about the issues of race relations, unlike Big Ron, obviously, who today stated that he doesn't see himself as a racist.

(By the way, at the time of the slave trade - and until less than a century ago - my ancestors were being victimised by an oppressive British colonial government in Ireland, but I don't make a fuss about it).

The City of Bristol's involvement in the slave trade was undertaken at a time when slavery was legal, whereas in the 21st. century most decent people are a little more enlightened about the issues of race relations, unlike Big Ron, obviously, who today stated that he doesn't see himself as a racist.

(By the way, at the time of the slave trade - and until less than a century ago - my ancestors were being victimised by an oppressive British colonial government in Ireland, but I don't make a fuss about it).

I'm sure Ron has some witty put-downs for the Irish too, Redkev.

Guest WillsbridgeRed

Big Ron made an ill-advised comment, yeah anyone would think he's the re-incarnation of the KKK founder.

He's said sorry, give the man a chance I say

Although one can't condone Rons conduct I don't believe in all this high horse jumping, what does the Good Book say Rev. 'Let he with no sin cast the first stone'. It is no coincidence that Iffy is black I s'pect enquiries were also made into a possible role found for him at Torquay.

The issue of racism is a deep and complex one and so I'll be f'd if I'm going to give my face value oppinion on here

I think i'd be more agrieved about Fat Ron coming to City on footballing grounds in the same way I was when they employed Tony Pulis over David Moyes

Big Ron made an ill-advised comment, yeah anyone would think he's the re-incarnation of the KKK founder.

He's said sorry, give the man a chance I say

He actually did it twice, some years before a similar event happened. If you do something that idiotic not once but twice, expect to be called an idiot.

Although one can't condone Rons conduct I don't believe in all this high horse jumping, what does the Good Book say Rev. 'Let he with no sin cast the first stone'.

There are issues of repentance here. Did you see the documentary about Ron a few months ago? Maybe I misunderstood it but when people asked him why did he say what he said, Ron couldn't answer, he didn't see himself as a racist (a statement he repeated today) and in essence seemed to think the problem was in the mind of everyone else.

If he was to make it very clear that in today's climate the use of a racist term is not acceptable then I think people would be prepared to say "ok, fair enough."

There are issues of repentance here. Did you see the documentary about Ron a few months ago? Maybe I misunderstood it but when people asked him why did he say what he said, Ron couldn't answer, he didn't see himself as a racist (a statement he repeated today) and in essence seemed to think the problem was in the mind of everyone else.

If he was to make it very clear that in today's climate the use of a racist term is not acceptable then I think people would be prepared to say "ok, fair enough."

Yeah, fair enough

Hes just not really in touch with todays standards of decency is he? I don't believe he is racist though

I don't think Ron is a racist. His work in bringing through black players when he was a manager shows that. He's just from a different generation and he can't understand why using the n-word as a label for a black person is unacceptable.

He's 66 (I think), still in control of his faculties, so I don't think he is justified to plead ignorance. His bringing on of black players was because they were good players, not because he wanted to promote black consciousness in professional football.

He's 66 (I think), still in control of his faculties, so I don't think he is justified to plead ignorance. His bringing on of black players was because they were good players, not because he wanted to promote black consciousness in professional football.

exactly if they were good enough they were black enough. It didn't strike him as an issue

I don't think Ron is a racist. His work in bringing through black players when he was a manager shows that. He's just from a different generation and he can't understand why using the n-word as a label for a black person is unacceptable.

His comments about certain people living in trees proved that it wasn't just the N-word that he struggled with. He's of a different generation, but doesn't have the mental capacity to alter his behaviour or beliefs, which is sad in a way. It's a shame he's ignorant.

Guest Ben Wah Balls

Looks like the newspapers have exagerrated Ron's involvement. Personally I'd be happy for him to have an official role, Iffy needs all the help he can get, we've only won 3 games under him which is not great and we're one place lower than when he arrived. We'd probably be a lot higher in the table if we hadn't made any changes.

Guest STFC_Gazza

I think its sick to hire this bigot. It takes the (Am I naughty or what!) bringing him in with a black manager its all a publicity stunt. personally Gary Linekar would have been a better choice to host the docu-soap but I suppose any publicity is good publicity.

Archived