IGNORED

Lesson From Yesterday

Port Said Red

I think that there were times we missed the Doc yesterday and it raises questions over whether Luke and Tins can be used regularly as central pair.

I would like to see a 5 in midfield with TD just in behind those two, if not (and I know this could get me some stick) but I would suggest resting the Tinman. I thought he looked a little tired yesterday and was actually caught in possession more often than I have seen for a long time. Maybe all the excitement of the 500th etc has added to the physical tiredness, but a rest might do him good and it's what a squad is all about after all.

I am in the minority I'm sure of that.

I get very worried about having Tins and Wilks together in central midfield especially away from home. The reason is simple, we may create a lot but our strikers are not converting the chances we are creating. This often leads to dominating games but leading by the odd goal. Suddenly they waltz through our midfield and hey presto 1-1.

A negative thought indeed, but some steel is also required at times especially away from home. I prefer 3-5-2 with our current squad.

I think we missed the Doc in midfield, I hope he comes back for Peterborough.

I doubt if Tins needs a rest, he'd had 11 days without a game on Saturday, besides I can't imagine Danny resting him, he was inspired against Colchester.

I'm worried that Danny might be tempted to put Wilkshire on the right again, he doesn't have the pace to be on the wing IMO.

In My Opinion I couldn't possibly.

Some include a H for honest, you know they are lieing then!!

I have always used the "H" for Humbliest; shows what I know!

I wouldn't break up the 4-4-2 we are using as after an 8 game winning streak is not the time to tinker with formations.

I think both Tins and Doc have been a revelation and quite frankly, Wilkshire would only make the bench for me at present.

At the end of the day, you make a choice when it comes to international commitments (not knocking it, every player should want to represent their country). However, you have to accept that it gives somebody else a chance for your club and they might grasp it with both hands as Tommy has done.

IMHO!

I think that there were times we missed the Doc yesterday and it raises questions over whether Luke and Tins can be used regularly as central pair.

I would like to see a 5 in midfield with TD just in behind those two, if not (and I know this could get me some stick) but I would suggest resting the Tinman. I thought he looked a little tired yesterday and was actually caught in possession more often than I have seen for a long time. Maybe all the excitement of the 500th etc has added to the physical tiredness, but a rest might do him good and it's what a squad is all about after all.

Good points.

Long term, LW was brought in to replace Tinman and, like you, I think a five could work quite well particularly if we used Fortune & Amaankwah (when fit) as wing backs, with three out of TD, AB,BT & LW in the three central places.

The points you make about Tinman are fair enough as at 35/36 he won't be a 90 minute player in Div 1 if we go up.

I am in the minority I'm sure of that.

I get very worried about having Tins and Wilks together in central midfield especially away from home. The reason is simple, we may create a lot but our strikers are not converting the chances we are creating. This often leads to dominating games but leading by the odd goal. Suddenly they waltz through our midfield and hey presto 1-1.

A negative thought indeed, but some steel is also required at times especially away from home. I prefer 3-5-2 with our current squad.

I think DW agreed with you for the first 20 games of the season and that's what lead to LW on the wing or wide midfield depending on how you look at it.

The point is that with BT & LW in midfield we don't keep giving the ball away ala JB who can't pass for Toffee!

If you don't keep giving the ball away you don't have to pack your side with ball winners to get it back.

Also, with TD & JB, we weren't creating chances, although that had as much to do with no SM or now MG wide on the right.

I like the 3-5-2 if it's played right, but I can't see DW changing much on the back of 8 wins!

Before Wilkshire went away for January, I believe that most of us were wondering how we'd manage without him, given his form at the time.

It is so rare for Tins to have even an average game, let alone poor, that when he does, everyone notices. He is fitter than the proverbial butcher's dog, even though age will become a factor I believe more in the recovery of knocks and injuries.

Tommy never looks match fit to me and is a bit of a liability due to his indiscipline. You can never guarantee finishing with 11 men when he starts. How many games has he played during our 8 match winning streak?

So, for me, it is Wilkshire to start definitely in a 4 man midfield. Freezer and waster (lucky for Brown he has a left foot) either side. Tins would ideally start, with Tommy coming on to keep things tight when we're 2-0 up :unsure:

8 wins and we're still finding time to slag the players!

Hurrah!!!

the problem with 3-5-2 is that if the opponents push up on the flanks, the service to the front two stops dead. as we turn into 5-3-2 instead.

The wing backs HAVE to defend and attack in equal measure and I would argue that we don't quite have the players for that.

4-4-2 suits as the role that Carey plays is mainly defensive with occasional attacking runs, whilst Goodfellow is not a defender! we look more stable.

I would add that we looked too lightweight in the middle, and I would rather see Clayton on if that scenario arose again. (he looked very assured) rather than Tinman and Wilkshire.

Briefly back to Aaron.

I know it's painful for some of you to admit, but he played really well on saturday.

I've said it before and Red Goblin has said it as well, but we are on an 8 game winning run. exactly what the ###### people can find to moan about when we have put that sort of form together is beyond me.

:unsure:

I think you'll find that most people voice their opinions in the vain hope that it would in some way seek to continue the 8 match winning streak and not "slag" players for the sake of it.

We all watch different games at times. Brown can be a joy to watch on his day. Actually, not on his day, more, during that moment when the mood takes him to do what we all know he is capable of. Like the cross for Miller's goal on Saturday :unsure: I personally would like to see him do it more often.

BTW, I am a fully paid up member of the Wilson fan club, I actually think Roberts has been treated unfairly and wish that Tinman could stop ageing tomorrow.

Hope this helps people distinguish between a moan and constructive observations.

8 wins and we're still finding time to slag the players!

Hurrah!!!

exactly what the ###### people can find to moan about when we have put that sort of form together is beyond me.

I don't think my original post was a moan or slagged off any individuals. It was meant to be constructive criticism, my concern was that a side with a little more up front than Brentford would have had a few opportunities to test Phillips on Saturday.

I would prefer to bolster the midfield by adding some steel, without ditracting from the obvious attacking qualities it currently contains. Pointing out that tackling back is not necessarily the strongest part of LW and Tins' game is not a criticism, just a comment.

Aaron Brown was excellent on Saturday and always plays well when the first thing he tries goes his way, when he plays like that he would be first name on the teamsheet. That's why I never mentioned him.

Also, with TD & JB, we weren't creating chances, although that had as much to do with no SM or now MG wide on the right.

Actually, Tommy and Joe only started the first five together in which games we totalled 77 efforts on goal scoring nine times.

Take out 5 goals from 17 for the opener gainst Notts Co and you're left with an average of 15 shots in the other four games but only one goal in each of them. That is but one illustration of how it is finishing our chances that has been the achilles heel this season, not creating them.

Fortunately the striking has been improving, in general, since Christmas which, allied to the excellent defensive record, has seen an upturn in results.

The things is if you add a midfielder you will lose a defender which could dent our decent defensive record so far.

I would much sooner keep the defence how it is and select the centre midfielders and merit. Least it spurs up some competition in there.

Tis great to see and it really is helping all of their performances. I mean the Doc has been another class since losing his place and the same pressure for places in other areas of the field can hopefully see an even better all round team performance.

I know the Tommy/Joe partnership in midfield got a lot of stick and rightly so as neither player was performing particularly well. However, Tommy has come back a better player in recent games and has shown why he should hold down a place, Joe hasn't had much of a chance due to injury and competition. But I would play them in centre midfield if both were on form.

Tins performs well or average, rarely has a poor game and despite his age seems to be able to run for 90+ minutes in most games (some others could learn a lot from this).

Wilkshire is back and competing for a place, A.Brown performs well occasionally and Goodfellow on the whole looks a good prospect.

Now with Roberts potentially challenging for a right wing spot that is real strength in depth and competition for places looks good and seems to have the right effect on some players at least.

My preferred midfield would be 4 : Goodfellow, Tommy, Tinnion, Roberts - with Brown and Wilkshire on the bench to add pace, creativity and passing ability if needed.

Who'd be a football manager :unsure:

Lets not beat around the bush. Wilkshire played due to Dohertys suspension, and in all fairness was a good yard off the pace, probably due to long haul flight and that the teams he played against in Australia were less physical and slower than English Division 2. Had Doherty been available then Wilkshire,I suspect, would've been on the bench(at best)

Tinnion on the other hand was simply awful!!

One good pass in 85 minutes !

Fortune, I would suggest contributed more in the 5 minutes he played.

Would suggest you're as good as your last game, so , with Wilkshire training all week and getting sharper, my middle 2 in a 4-4-2 formation has to be Wilkshire and Doherty.

Archived