IGNORED

The Forgotten Keeper

Keepers Ball

I don't think Phillips deserved to be dropped, but he was, and Basso certainly doesn't deserve to be now.

Phillips is a great keeper, above average for this division. I wouldn't say he is any more prone to mistakes than Basso. I'd say they're as good as each other, and better in different areas. Basso hasn't been flawless, and Phillips has by no means been "woeful" as somebody said.

Basso has made a couple of mistakes, but has a better command of his area, his kicking seemsto be brilliant one minute then appalling the next, and he is a good shot stopper. That said, I'm convinced that Phillips may have stopped some of the goals that Basso has conceded, but wouldn't hav commanded his area as well as Basso which may have led to him leaking just as many as Basso. It seems to me that with Woodman and Orr picking up performances, Phillips is the new scapegoat. As always with Bristol City there is a scapegoat; at the moment its Stewart and Phillips, how long before its GJ and Basil?!

The reason why Phillips has thrown his toys out of his pram is, in my opinion, because of GJ. I disagree with Ron, I think that Steve could be unbeatable in training and still not get into the team. I also feel that if Basso hadn't been able to play against Rotherham, GJ may have given Sam Pearce a game, because GJ is prone to making scapegoats and falling out with players, and he clearly doesn't like Phillips, and I know the feeling is entirely mutual!

Phillips was finished at this club from day one of GJ's reign in my opinion.

And any Basso fanboys out there, don't be surprised if he isn't our first choice by the end of the month either. GJ has his favourites, and most of them play for a small town club that wear green.

Phillips could have reacted better, but I think that GJ has made himself fairly clear that Phillips isn't welcome under his regime.

Johnson wants players with the right attitude and Phillips has shown by requesting a transfer because he's been dropped that he doesn't have the right attitude.

Cheerio, Steve.

Johnson wants players with the right attitude and Phillips has shown by requesting a transfer because he's been dropped that he doesn't have the right attitude.

Cheerio, Steve.

He wants first team football and thats the wrong attitude?

If he said nothing all season, and didn't get back into the team (and he won't while GJ is in charge no matter what) you'd accuse him of being a mercenary, willing to sit on the bench and pick up his wage at our expense.

The guy wants to play, you can't blame him for that.

I don't think his treatment had been great from GJ either.

If he said nothing all season, and didn't get back into the team (and he won't while GJ is in charge no matter what) you'd accuse him of being a mercenary, willing to sit on the bench and pick up his wage at our expense.

What treatment? You mean getting dropped when he played poorly? Awww diddums.

Phillips' attitude is nothing to do with wanting first team football, it's to do with hating his manager because the manager dared to criticise him. His comments at the trust launch are well documented are they not?

Nibor

His comments at the trust launch are well documented are they not?

As are GJ's when he asked Phillips to ask the other 10 players wanted in goal, to humiliate him. If he had to drop him, then fine, but he always seems to have too much to say for himself. That'll turn around and bite him on the arse soon enough.

To be honest Phillips should have reacted better, but we don't know the full story, just bitching from either side, which helps nobody.

I don't particualrly like Phillips based on meeting him either. At the Trust Launch, whilst he did the ST a good turn by volunteering, he only started to talk to the kids when the camera was on him, and generally said nothing. I also only want whats best for BCFC. I fwe get someone in who is better, then I don't really care.

Our manager's conduct regarding players is what concerns me most. He comes across to me as a bully, just as much as Phillips does like a bit of a spoilt child.

And for the record, you don't know that Phillips motivation is purely because he hates GJ either.

As are GJ's when he asked Phillips to ask the other 10 players wanted in goal, to humiliate him. If he had to drop him, then fine, but he always seems to have too much to say for himself. That'll turn around and bite him on the arse soon enough.

To be honest Phillips should have reacted better, but we don't know the full story, just bitching from either side, which helps nobody.

I don't particualrly like Phillips based on meeting him either. At the Trust Launch, whilst he did the ST a good turn by volunteering, he only started to talk to the kids when the camera was on him, and generally said nothing. I also only want whats best for BCFC. I fwe get someone in who is better, then I don't really care.

Our manager's conduct regarding players is what concerns me most. He comes across to me as a bully, just as much as Phillips does like a bit of a spoilt child.

And for the record, you don't know that Phillips motivation is purely because he hates GJ either.

Everything GJ has said re Phillps has been spot on. Blamed him for letting in soft goals- all true stories. Maybe he shouldn't have said it out in public but that's another story. Whatever his way of talking to media and press, it seemed to work at yeovil and I'm happy with it.

True, but I'd suggest what we know to be facts support this much more than they do the old "I want first team football" line that he's trotted out. He's only been out of the team for five minutes after all.

Nibor

If he wants to play then he should knuckle down and work his way back into the team. I've no respect for him for requesting to leave less than 2 months after being dropped.

That said he's been a great servant (although as someone pointed out, it's not like he's had any competition for places or any offers from bigger clubs to contemplate) and I wish him luck in whatever he does next.

Everything GJ has said re Phillps has been spot on. Blamed him for letting in soft goals- all true stories. Maybe he shouldn't have said it out in public but that's another story. Whatever his way of talking to media and press, it seemed to work at yeovil and I'm happy with it.

You don't rate Phillips anyway!

I think Phillips can be blamed for the Southend goal for certain, he should have held it, thats his job. He probably should have saved Esstwood's third too, but he should have been closed down. The Notts County goal in what I think was his last start, I'm indifferent. The ball played a big part in that I think.

Like I said though, Basso is doing well and we can't drop him because Phillips says so; he doesn't deserve it.

Phillips could react better and try to win his place back too. As you rightly said when we spoke about himbefore, he's been in the comfort zone for 5 years.

I'm more concerned with GJ's bullying of players, and whether you agree or not, thats what it appears to me to be. If it works then I'm not bothered, but I'm sceptical about some of his methods, to say the least.

I'm more concerned with GJ's bullying of players, and whether you agree or not, thats what it appears to me to be. If it works then I'm not bothered, but I'm sceptical about some of his methods, to say the least.

He can 'bully' players all he likes if we get 14 points from the 18 each time.

Archived