IGNORED

The Forgotten Keeper

Keepers Ball

Youve been first choice keeper for the past 5 years and apart from the start in your younger days you have never been understudy.

You have been involved in two Millenium Finals and two promotion campaigns with good crowds all around you.Despite failure at those times life as Bristol City's No.1 has been great.

A majority of the fans have an "adulation" of you hearing "England No.1" being chanted behind you.

You have been voted Divisional Goalkeeper for two seasons by your fellow Pro's......

...then all of a sudden the "bubble bursts"

Sure things have'nt been going great this season and you've had a couple of "Ropey" performances but hey "has'nt the whole team" ?

Suddenly you are no longer Bristol City's No.1.

How do you deal with that ? You've never been in that situation before.

A new manager comes along,drops you and as far as you can see you are never getting back into the first team again unless your replacement has a succession of howlers or has a freak injury.

Now all of a sudden the team is playing well again which coincides with your "replacement" in goal.

You are no longer part of that "Feel-good factor".

And just when you are on a downer you make the mistakeof having a look at the City forum.

Those "fans" that once chanted your name are now refering to you as "Flapper".

You are'nt really needed any longer"."After all you are now suddenly a poo keeper"."Basso is much better"

Surely the fans would remember you saved the team more than you let them down ?

it does'nt seem so...one or two even "Wish you on your way to Forest Green.

And you wonder why the fans criticise your body language.

Why can't Phillips be like the other subs?

Think about it Numpties.Outfield players have more of a chance getting on the field through tactical changes or injuries.

When you are a Goalkeeper you are on your own.You can't just "fill in" when a central Defender gets injured.

If Phillips left I'd pat him on the back,thank him for this service,wish him well and probably applaud him if he stuck two fingers up at some of you.

Guest alex1089

I totally agree mate but Basso has been good and deserves his place in the team. Phillips annoys me though with his crossing ability but if he goes back in goal for whatever reason i'll be behind him all the way. He has made some massive saves for us in the past. I have heard that when Mcleod leaves MK dons, he is on his way there back with Danny wilson once again. Lets wait and see.

i didnt think stevie deserved to be dropped. apart from the clagger i remember against southend when he didnt hold a shot which kead to their first goal, he didnt do to much wrong.

people say he couldnt catch crosses, but then again the defence was a shambles then and couldnt win any headers in the box!

in saying that, i think basso has done very well since coming in. he had to wait for his chance and then he took it, what more can you say!

being a sub keeper must be the worst part of football, but i would like to see stevie stay and fight for HIS place

You work as a professional footballer, have a ponsy car and earn more money than most people can dream of, and work for about 4 hours a day.

Your life is one of total luxury doing something you enjoy, you're financially secure for life.

Despite all these wonderful things you are unable to deal with the smallest set of adverse circumstances in a professional manner.

My heart ###### bleeds.

Nibor

Although being a great (or should that be 'above average') servent for the club, I see no problem how a decentish incoming keeper can do him any harm as I always felt there was a touch of complacancy with him anyway due to a lack of competition.

Wouldn't and haven't slagged the bloke off, and over the last couple of days I've spelt out my views on the shortsighted fickleness that is a problem amongst City fans as well as football fans in general.

He is however a Professional, needs to take the rough with the smooth and has to get on with his career.

I'll back Nibor with his assessment also.

How do you deal with that ?...... Outfield players have more of a chance getting on the field through tactical changes or injuries.

Good point, but there is more than one good player who cant get into what is currently a winning team. Some cant even get on the bench, and some get shipped out on loan.

I think you are right that it is a shame we criticise our own when they cant even get a game, and that should stop. No one wants to lose him. But its hard to justify an unforced change to a winning team.

The big thing for any player not getting picked is to try to focus on being bang on ready when they do get their chance again. This applies even more noticeably for a goalkeeper. Who ever is the understudy in nets needs to avoid the Calamity James syndrome when they do come on, or understudy they will stay.

Basso benefits from 2 things Stevie doesn't have at the moment - firstly the shirt, and secondly a spark of pantomime commaraderie with the crowd. Both of those will be hard to keep in the event of a goal keeping blunder or during a losing streak....

I think we're lucky to have 2 very good keepers. Steve Phillips has come in for some harsh critism in my opinion. Being in the team of the season for 2 seasons can't be sniffed at and he should take a great sense of achievement from that. I do think though, from what I've heard he has reacted poorly to the current situation he has found himself in.

Great shot stopper though!

Didn't he get linked to Southampton reacently too. Shows he can't be all that bad a keeper doesn't it?

Phillips has to face up to reality.His form dropped,he started making howlers again, the defence were all at sea when he was in goal because they never knew what Phillips would do with a cross or incoming ball.He had managed to keep his place through' lack of competition but now that City have signed another 'keeper Phillips has lost his place. - and not before time imo.

I've probably been his biggest critic and I stand by what I've said all along and now with his "dummy out of the pram" attitude all he has done turn many fans against him.

He has to knuckle down,work on the weaknesess in his game and await his chance, or leave City.I reckon he'll do the latter.

I think that we may have been a little harsh on him, yes his form dropped, but so did the entire teams! Basso is a great keeper. (and keeps us entertained.) but steve has always had very high prais from the fans, now theres a new guy, Phillips cant do a thing right. he needs to fight for his place in the line up, and prove us all wrong x

In response to the thread starter:

He's had the nickname "Flapper" for bloody ages now :dunno:

Yes this must be a difficult time for Steve, but he doesn't have the devine right to stand between the sticks for City, and if he doesn't have a strong enough character to handle being dropped.....tough.

Basso dropped a cross on monday and by all accounts on the radio he did some dropping against yeovil too! so he ain't as perfect as everyone seems to think! He has done no better than philips would have done. I'd put both keepers on a dead par, it just seems Basso is teachers pet right now and philips has been given a big hat with a D on it!

Basso dropped a cross on monday and by all accounts on the radio he did some dropping against yeovil too! so he ain't as perfect as everyone seems to think! He has done no better than philips would have done. I'd put both keepers on a dead par, it just seems Basso is teachers pet right now and philips has been given a big hat with a D on it!

Phillips performances this season have been nothing short of woeful, he has been a wonderful 'shot stopper' for City and I'd like nothing more than to see him knuckle down and start puttting pressure on Basso to win the shirt back.

However, for me, Basso seems more of an 'allround' keeper, comes for crosses (catches more than he drops) and is it a coincidence that our defence is tighter with him between the sticks, I believe the defenders feel more confident with this as well.

If a Pro footballer can't cope with being dropped for poor performances then ..... tough!

Guest revkev

I wasn't at Yeovil but if I remember the "dropped cross" on Monday resulted in a free kick for a foul on the keeper? :dunno:

Guest Ronmeister

Stevie did a lot to help the club yes, and as the reception at Yeovil on Saturday showed he is still remembered for that. But Basso has come in and done a better job than Stevie this season, it's rubbish about him having to sit on the bench, if he plays a blinder in training then he will most likely get into the team ahead of Basso

I wasn't at Yeovil but if I remember the "dropped cross" on Monday resulted in a free kick for a foul on the keeper? :dunno:

That's true (though just because a free kick was awarded doesn't mean it was a foul :D ).

But there was also the disastrously weak kick that nearly (and probably should have) gifted Walsall a goal. And a few other wayward kicks as well on Monday.

I'm simply stating basso isn't perfect, people seem very quick to gloss over mess ups by basso yet are very quick to highlight any slight faults philips may have.

his dropped cross was a complete fumble and luckily he bumped into a walsall player on the way down to get a foul!

Nobody has suggested Basso is flawless, he certainly wouldn't be playing for Bristol City if he was.

People say that the defence is playing better in front of Basso, I think there is some truth in that but because Basso is there.

They seem to have more confidence in what he does and says. He makes it clear he is coming for balls and when he's not so they know where they stand. I also noticed that when he shouts instructions, criticisms or praise they acknowledge him properly not tell him to f... off as I have seen some do to Phillips.

Phillips had a long run for sure and of course made some memorable saves which is part of his job, but remember they was a long period where the club never had an adequate "man on the bench" and he played on several occasions when not fit or when not playing particularly well.

Finally I think the good servant tag is overused, it's not like he turned down offers from prem clubs to stay here. Whether he would have stayed to compete with a fit Billy Mercer is doubtful. He turned up, did his job, went home and now he's got some competition at last he wants off.

You work as a professional footballer, have a ponsy car and earn more money than most people can dream of, and work for about 4 hours a day.

Your life is one of total luxury doing something you enjoy, you're financially secure for life.

Despite all these wonderful things you are unable to deal with the smallest set of adverse circumstances in a professional manner.

My heart ###### bleeds.

Nibor

It could be argued that this shows that first team football is more important to Steve Phillips than money, as this is his testimonial year and he could make a load of cash from it.

It does dissapoint me though how easily he seems to have given up on his first team place. Usually you'd have thought a bit of competition would mean the other player knuckling down and trying really hard to get his place back. Unfortunately it seems to have had the opposite effect on Phillips, which I think is a shame for both him and Bristol City FC.

Finally I think the good servant tag is overused, it's not like he turned down offers from prem clubs to stay here. Whether he would have stayed to compete with a fit Billy Mercer is doubtful. He turned up, did his job, went home and now he's got some competition at last he wants off.

I agree with all your points, except the one above.

Steve deserves credit, 10 years is a very long time in football nowadays.

However I do think he is a bit hasty in throwing in the towell in the fight for the jersy, which makes me think it is definately down to a clash of personalities rather than any footballing reason.

If it is because he doesn't like the new "Gary Johnson regime" then perhaps the dressing room will be a better place without him.

Thanks Steve, good luck and farewell.

Youve been first choice keeper for the past 5 years and apart from the start in your younger days you have never been understudy.

You have been involved in two Millenium Finals and two promotion campaigns with good crowds all around you.Despite failure at those times life as Bristol City's No.1 has been great.

A majority of the fans have an "adulation" of you hearing "England No.1" being chanted behind you.

You have been voted Divisional Goalkeeper for two seasons by your fellow Pro's......

...then all of a sudden the "bubble bursts"

Sure things have'nt been going great this season and you've had a couple of "Ropey" performances but hey "has'nt the whole team" ?

Suddenly you are no longer Bristol City's No.1.

How do you deal with that ? You've never been in that situation before.

A new manager comes along,drops you and as far as you can see you are never getting back into the first team again unless your replacement has a succession of howlers or has a freak injury.

Now all of a sudden the team is playing well again which coincides with your "replacement" in goal.

You are no longer part of that "Feel-good factor".

And just when you are on a downer you make the mistakeof having a look at the City forum.

Those "fans" that once chanted your name are now refering to you as "Flapper".

You are'nt really needed any longer"."After all you are now suddenly a poo keeper"."Basso is much better"

Surely the fans would remember you saved the team more than you let them down ?

it does'nt seem so...one or two even "Wish you on your way to Forest Green.

And you wonder why the fans criticise your body language.

Why can't Phillips be like the other subs?

Think about it Numpties.Outfield players have more of a chance getting on the field through tactical changes or injuries.

When you are a Goalkeeper you are on your own.You can't just "fill in" when a central Defender gets injured.

If Phillips left I'd pat him on the back,thank him for this service,wish him well and probably applaud him if he stuck two fingers up at some of you.

This forum is the wrong place for such a thoughtful post.

But well said.

I've been inclined to ignore Phillips critics in the past, but this is petulance on his part.

Hopefully the club will hang on to get a decent return on him rather than doing a 'tinnion' and sweeping him out the door for nought.

This HAS to be a clash with Johnson. if it isn't and he is sulking about losing the shirt he deserves nothing from us as fans.

What was all his talk about at the supporters trust evening then?

I'm hugely disappointed at his approach, in the light of the work he has done for the club, he's kind of thrown it all away in my book.

sad.

Steve Phillips has given good service. He is a good keeper. But this season his performances have not been up to scratch. Shots that you would have expected him to save in previous seasons have got through (four of the seven at Swansea, for example, if you can bear to take another look at the footage on BCFC World). As a senior player you would expect him to take command and help out those around him when the going gets tough. But from what I saw he did not do that.

Basso deserved a chance and has proved that with his performances since coming into the team. Despite a few idiots shouting abuse at him early on simply because he'd replaced SP, from what I could make out, he has been excellent and by general consensus has performed well enough to keep his place. In my view Basso has shown GJ was right to switch.

Since then, anyone who has gone to the games and watched Phillips beforehand can see he does not help Basso in any way. Whereas he used to get the sub keeper to warm him up, he now trains separately and leaves someone else to warm Basso up. There seems to be no chatting or exchange between them. It is not just Phillips' body action, as some on here claim, it is the way he acts. As pointed out, he headed straight off after the game rather than clap the crowd like the rest of the team.

He's actually been very fortunate as a sub keeper in that he's had two chances within three matches to come on for extended periods - more than most would expect in a whole season. He has hardly excelled when given that chance - the goal he let in against Gillingham was poor and he left the field to chants of 'dodgy keeper' from Gills fans.

It is a shame he is not staying because having two good keepers is always a benefit. But it is his choice not to stay and fight for his place. Clearly there is no room for sentiment on his part, and there should be none from us. In a straight pick between Phillips and Basso, which is what Phillips is effectively making this, I'd pick Basso pure and simple because that is what is better for Bristol City, and it is the club I support not any one individual who plays for them.

Goodbye Steve Phillips. Thanks for your effort but it's time to move on and if you don't fancy fighting for your spot then you are not what we need right now.

It could be argued that this shows that first team football is more important to Steve Phillips than money, as this is his testimonial year and he could make a load of cash from it.

It does dissapoint me though how easily he seems to have given up on his first team place. Usually you'd have thought a bit of competition would mean the other player knuckling down and trying really hard to get his place back. Unfortunately it seems to have had the opposite effect on Phillips, which I think is a shame for both him and Bristol City FC.

If he cares that much about it he should be able to figure out that acting like a spoiled child is not going to get him back into the team. He needs to knuckle down, improve the obvious glaring faults in his game and win his place back. Then the emphasis will be on Basso to do the same. It ain't a competition unless they both take part.

Nibor

phillips is a good keeper, but he made mistakes, and wasn't commanding his area. He rightfully got dropped, and incame basso, who hasn't made any mistakes, commands his area, talks to his defence,and can kick. Phillips had two choices, throw his toys out of his pram, or knukle down and work hard to get his place back. But he took the wrong option by throwing his toys out of his pram. If he has an attitude like that, then we don't need him, thanks for the past steve, but your attitude stinks, goodluck at your new club though.

I don't think Phillips deserved to be dropped, but he was, and Basso certainly doesn't deserve to be now.

Phillips is a great keeper, above average for this division. I wouldn't say he is any more prone to mistakes than Basso. I'd say they're as good as each other, and better in different areas. Basso hasn't been flawless, and Phillips has by no means been "woeful" as somebody said.

Basso has made a couple of mistakes, but has a better command of his area, his kicking seemsto be brilliant one minute then appalling the next, and he is a good shot stopper. That said, I'm convinced that Phillips may have stopped some of the goals that Basso has conceded, but wouldn't hav commanded his area as well as Basso which may have led to him leaking just as many as Basso. It seems to me that with Woodman and Orr picking up performances, Phillips is the new scapegoat. As always with Bristol City there is a scapegoat; at the moment its Stewart and Phillips, how long before its GJ and Basil?!

The reason why Phillips has thrown his toys out of his pram is, in my opinion, because of GJ. I disagree with Ron, I think that Steve could be unbeatable in training and still not get into the team. I also feel that if Basso hadn't been able to play against Rotherham, GJ may have given Sam Pearce a game, because GJ is prone to making scapegoats and falling out with players, and he clearly doesn't like Phillips, and I know the feeling is entirely mutual!

Phillips was finished at this club from day one of GJ's reign in my opinion.

And any Basso fanboys out there, don't be surprised if he isn't our first choice by the end of the month either. GJ has his favourites, and most of them play for a small town club that wear green.

Phillips could have reacted better, but I think that GJ has made himself fairly clear that Phillips isn't welcome under his regime.

Archived