IGNORED

Phillips Kid Mentality

LSR

If he had any balls he would fight for his place.

He is just asking for his ball bqack like a little child in a play ground.SAD!

Yes, how dare he want first team football.

Asking for a transfer to get some is a totally unprecedented, and out of order move.

What he should do is sit on the bench and pick up his money and say nothing, because GJ won't play him no matter what he does. Then you can moan about that too.

Another thing you should do is start yet another thread, because the other two aren't good enough. :doh:

My arse. Phillips thinks he's god, and he won't improve no matter what the manager does.

Nibor

I agree that Phillips thinks that he has a divine right to be our number one, which he doesn't, but GJ won't play him. I don't think it matters what Phillips does, GJ doesn't like him so he won't play him. Then again, I don't think Phillips wants to play for GJ either.

I think he wants to go to MK Dons, with Wilson, because he thinks he's guarenteed first team football there.

I agree that Phillips thinks that he has a divine right to be our number one, which he doesn't, but GJ won't play him. I don't think it matters what Phillips does, GJ doesn't like him so he won't play him. Then again, I don't think Phillips wants to play for GJ either.

I think he wants to go to MK Dons, with Wilson, because he thinks he's guarenteed first team football there.

GJ doesn't like him because he has spotted he isn't very good at last! Hurrah!

I think Johnson's record shows that he is above likes and dislikes and is interested in performances. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that he is not playing Phillips because Phillips hasn't played well enough to justify it. Rather than responding by playing better, Phillips gets bitter and wants to run off crying to Danny. So be it.

Nibor

If Phillips isn't willing to fight and get his position back then Johnson whouldn't play him. If he doesn't want to fight for it and just wants to leave then let him. It'll be sad to see him go but Johnson should get rid of him if he doesn't want to fight for a place in the team.

He just needs to work for his place and he isn't willing to do it. Phillips doesn't play a few games so wants to leave? Nice work ethic there.

• Admin

The point about defending his right to first team football is a valid one IF it is to be believed he has done everything within his power to reclaim his first team place.

Now forgive me for being cynical but being no.2 for 6 games doesn't sound like he has. To me it just sounds like "I want first team football - but not if I have to work for it".

at least he wouldn't have to stay here get ridiculed by you lot and dropped like a tonne of bricks by Johnson.

A lot of people I know are ASHAMED at the way loyal, local players are treated at this "professional" institution. Yes there's giving stick for a bad performance, but shoving someone on the bench and letting a goalkeeper with a dislocated taped up finger take your place is an absolute insult. Basso and Phillips should be learning from each other, not forced to compete 24/7, it's no wonder everyone is left with a bitter feeling.

And what about the LONG TERM? Phillips could of stayed at city for many more years to come, just like a true LOYAL player, but I very much doubt it that Basso could make such a comitment (no offence intended to the man himself).

Sorry GJ but you seem to have a collection of 'favourites'. At least Brian gave the majority of players a chance and understood the concept of being part of a TEAM.

Good on Phillips if he wants to go and find first team football. Why should he have to stay here any longer and waste away.

And what about the LONG TERM? Phillips could of stayed at city for many more years to come, just like a true LOYAL player, but I very much doubt it that Basso could make such a comitment (no offence intended to the man himself).

Wouldn't a 'LOYAL' player fight and get his place back? wouldn't such a player take criticism and try and improve his game?

Phillips has been loyal to us for long enough and consdiering the way he is treated lately and the amount of criticism thorwn at somebody who doesn;t even get a chance to get onto the pitch, I would think he has been loyal. He's done more than his fair share for us, why is he doomed unloyal if he wants to go and play football, it';s not like he's allowed to here.

• Admin

Phillips has been loyal to us for long enough and consdiering the way he is treated lately and the amount of criticism thorwn at somebody who doesn;t even get a chance to get onto the pitch, I would think he has been loyal. He's done more than his fair share for us, why is he doomed unloyal if he wants to go and play football, it';s not like he's allowed to here.

He's been out the team 6 games.....ages!

Really fought for his place didn't he!

Unless you are of the belief that due to circumstances he has a god given right to our goalkeeping jersey in which case it's nice to have you post on this forum Mrs Phillips.

yes but you didn't answer my questions? If he was so loyal he wouldn't leave when the first sign of any real competition came along would he?

how does it make somebody loyal stayin on for a couple more months when he;s been here for 10 years already?

and you didnt annswer my question :rolleyes:

which question?

I didn't expect him to stay on a couple more months- I expected to fight as long as it took to get his place back if he is good enough which I don't think he is and he knows it.

which question?

I didn't expect him to stay on a couple more months- I expected to fight as long as it took to get his place back if he is good enough which I don't think he is and he knows it.

question (was sort of rehtorical but answers are good cause thats what this forums about) anwyas but why is he doomed unloyal if he wants to go and play football?, it';s not like he's allowed to here.

its not looking like hes going to get his place back when he was 2nd best to a man with a taped up finger? sorry but from my point of view if that was me i would feel extremly insulted. also gj was fully aware of his consecutive record and imo was just being unfair because it;s not like phillips was playing terribly at the time.

yes but you didn't answer my questions? If he was so loyal he wouldn't leave when the first sign of any real competition came along would he?

thats true but if basso stays at his level of performance steve wont get back in regardless of if he is superman or not. its a credit to basso phillips feels this way. one wards and up wards to the championship steve if you can do your best. if you can make it higher fair play if you cant never mind.

from paulton to city just not the gas please!

question (was sort of rehtorical but answers are good cause thats what this forums about) anwyas but why is he doomed unloyal if he wants to go and play football?, it';s not like he's allowed to here.

its not looking like hes going to get his place back when he was 2nd best to a man with a taped up finger? sorry but from my point of view if that was me i would feel extremly insulted. also gj was fully aware of his consecutive record and imo was just being unfair because it;s not like phillips was playing terribly at the time.

Phillips was playing badly- look at goals conceeded when he last played. Also when he came on at Gillingham you could see the difference between the two. Basso was fit enough to play so rightly kept his place.

He isn't unloyal to want to leave but to leave after not even trying to get his place back is poor and we are better off without him.

If PHILLIPS does leave then it would be a sad day for Bristol City Football Club as Steve Philllips is the best keeper at the club.

Basso's kicking against Walsall was awful and i know phillips kicking isn't that great but it is still miles better than basso's.

STEVE PHILLIPS IS THE NO1 KEEPER AT THE CLUB AND SHOULD BE A FIRST TEAM REGULAR NOT WARMING THE BENCH.

i don't think it's fair to say somebody hasn't tried because we haven;t been at training so you cannot tell. for all we know he could be training all the time and great if he is. fair enough if he hasn;t tried cause obiovusly if you don't put in effort then you aren't going to suceed. however we can;t really judge much on that issue.

phillips was playing badly but basso was no better. both should work together to become better players imo.

i don't think it's fair to say somebody hasn't tried because we haven;t been at training so you cannot tell. for all we know he could be training all the time and great if he is. fair enough if he hasn;t tried cause obiovusly if you don't put in effort then you aren't going to suceed. however we can;t really judge much on that issue.

phillips was playing badly but basso was no better. both should work together to become better players imo.

Basso is much better. The difference on set peices/crossing is immense and his shot stopping has been just as good as Phillips recently.

Is 6 games long enough of trying before you give up?

Basso is much better. The difference on set peices/crossing is immense and his shot stopping has been just as good as Phillips recently.

Is 6 games long enough of trying before you give up?

your on one today les i say i say. 6 games aint enough the only thing i will mention is that basso o basso is making the saves from most of his own mistakes.

If PHILLIPS does leave then it would be a sad day for Bristol City Football Club as Steve Philllips is the best keeper at the club.

Basso's kicking against Walsall was awful and i know phillips kicking isn't that great but it is still miles better than basso's.

STEVE PHILLIPS IS THE NO1 KEEPER AT THE CLUB AND SHOULD BE A FIRST TEAM REGULAR NOT WARMING THE BENCH.

Sorry, but thats just not true, he is not at present the best keeper at the club, nothing thats happened lately makes anyone think that, weve let 4 goals in during the last seven games, and supersub let one of those wander past him, stop talking c##p

it's been more than 6 games it's been 8 games with 2 substitons since novmeber. wouldnt you feel a bit down if u hadnt had a proper opportunity in 6 weeks?

Not if I had let in goals like I did.

Ziderfarmer- true. But for me that was the same if not worse for Phillips. If he ever came out for crosses it would have saved him making alot of saves.

Guest revkev

He's been out the team 6 games.....ages!

In times past there have been players on the fringe of the first team who had to be patient to get their chance: Len Bond, John Shaw (both keepers), Dave Rodgers, Peter Spiring, plus countless others like Charlie Williamson and other products of what was a highly productive youth policy under Alan Dicks.

They had to be patient, there were no guarantees of first team football, some were eventually released to other clubs and yet many were given a chance from time to time and some of them broke into the team and stayed to become the "legends" we now dream about.

Phillips must be patient, and if he spits out his dummy so soon after being dropped over his loss of form then he will not demonstrate to the manager the desire to fight for his place in the team.

I for one wouldn't mind drawing his salary for warming up the bench week by week.

Not if I had let in goals like I did.

Ziderfarmer- true. But for me that was the same if not worse for Phillips. If he ever came out for crosses it would have saved him making alot of saves.

again you are looking at the short term. try taking into account all the goals and penalties he has saved in the past for us and then maybe you;ll start to appreciate that he is a good player at this level.

like i keep saying, we are in divison 3, you don't get world class players here.

again you are looking at the short term. try taking into account all the goals and penalties he has saved in the past for us and then maybe you;ll start to appreciate that he is a good player at this level.

like i keep saying, we are in divison 3, you don't get world class players here.

Yes but I haven't rated him in the long term like you. To my mind, most of the great saves he made were of his own making because he didn't have any other skills to his game. He is OK at this level and should have stayed to get his place back if he was as good as you reckon.

No-one is suggesting we have world class players here- what's your point?!

Archived