IGNORED

Phillips Kid Mentality

LSR

1. too many fans expect mircale players in a divison 3 team whre instead we have to be more creative with what we do have i.e team work not playing players against each other to fight for positions because that produces negativity and in the long run will not work

2. i don't agree with some of johnsons 'tactics' (such as publicly broadcasting blame) and have already made comments from my point of view on the subject

3. when crucnh comes to crunch soem fans would rather have a one minute wonder than a consistent and loyal establishemnt. in order for the club to be good and safe in the long term you have to plan the short term carefully and this is just not happenning.

4. too many fans try to put blame on the usual scapegoats because theyrefuse to admit that a bad performance is generally contributed to by the whole team

I was really surprised to see Phillips wants out... it doesn't matter what reason he has behind this, it will still be sad for me to see him go.

BUT, it does seem that he has reacted terribly to a bit of competition (something he lacked for about 3 seasons), and appears to be chucking his toys out of the pram because he hasn't got what he wants. Which - if that is the case - is ridiculous and I don't think it's very good of him doing so. Like so many have said (I don't care about exact numbers... ) Basso has been in goal for maybe 7/8 games. For Phillips to give up after that would be a shocking lack of commitment and determination on his part.

I suppose however, that we don't know the whole story. Him and GJ might not get on - who knows. But I have say if it is for want of first team football.. that is pathetic. He could have at least shown a bit more motivation and waited until the end of the season...

I mean.. I would almost understand if it was Skippy asking for the transfer. He's a bloody good player for us and seems to be being ignored. Flappy was letting in a hell of a lot of goals when he was dropped - it wasn't like he was enjoying a superb run of form at the time.

But like I say.. sad to see him go if he does. Just disappointed is it's for the wrong reason!

Yes, how dare he want first team football.

Asking for a transfer to get some is a totally unprecedented, and out of order move.

What he should do is sit on the bench and pick up his money and say nothing, because GJ won't play him no matter what he does. Then you can moan about that too.

Another thing you should do is start yet another thread, because the other two aren't good enough. :doh:

Well I'm sure you have spoken to GJ about letting steve have a chance....oh what thatt he said he wouldnt get one...or do you know nothing about what GJ is thinking?

I agree that Phillips thinks that he has a divine right to be our number one, which he doesn't, but GJ won't play him. I don't think it matters what Phillips does, GJ doesn't like him so he won't play him. Then again, I don't think Phillips wants to play for GJ either.

I think he wants to go to MK Dons, with Wilson, because he thinks he's guarenteed first team football there.

and you know this ...because??? what ,you had a dream ,have ESP or you are Steven Phillips? orrr you must ovbiously spend all your spare time on the training grounds..ahhh that what it is!

Guest C.T.I.D

If PHILLIPS does leave then it would be a sad day for Bristol City Football Club as Steve Philllips is the best keeper at the club.

Basso's kicking against Walsall was awful and i know phillips kicking isn't that great but it is still miles better than basso's.

STEVE PHILLIPS IS THE NO1 KEEPER AT THE CLUB AND SHOULD BE A FIRST TEAM REGULAR NOT WARMING THE BENCH.

:rofl2br: :Crazy:

if he is then why is Basso in goal

First day back to work after Xmas is always the worst but suddenly I'm quite cheerful :w00t:

i don't think it's fair to say somebody hasn't tried because we haven;t been at training so you cannot tell. for all we know he could be training all the time and great if he is. fair enough if he hasn;t tried cause obiovusly if you don't put in effort then you aren't going to suceed. however we can;t really judge much on that issue.

phillips was playing badly but basso was no better. both should work together to become better players imo.

Sorry but arn't you contradicting yourself as you say we have not been at any training session, so how do you know gj dislikes any player ??????

I don't think you have any proof and are just upset because your player is leaving, which personnally i think cant come a day to soon as phillips has been woeful for two seasons now.

The confidence in the back four is their for everyone to see with basso in goal.

i think phillips is being a child

he has only missed a handfull of games, and made sub appearances in two of those !

to throw his toys out the pram after this is stupid

he is a good keeper who was having a SLIGHTLY dodgy spell as all players do

to leave in his testamonial year is stupid too....not many players get them these days

:devil::devil::devil:

at least he wouldn't have to stay here get ridiculed by you lot and dropped like a tonne of bricks by Johnson.

A lot of people I know are ASHAMED at the way loyal, local players are treated at this "professional" institution. Yes there's giving stick for a bad performance, but shoving someone on the bench and letting a goalkeeper with a dislocated taped up finger take your place is an absolute insult. Basso and Phillips should be learning from each other, not forced to compete 24/7, it's no wonder everyone is left with a bitter feeling.

And what about the LONG TERM? Phillips could of stayed at city for many more years to come, just like a true LOYAL player, but I very much doubt it that Basso could make such a comitment (no offence intended to the man himself).

Sorry GJ but you seem to have a collection of 'favourites'. At least Brian gave the majority of players a chance and understood the concept of being part of a TEAM.

Good on Phillips if he wants to go and find first team football. Why should he have to stay here any longer and waste away.

Old Tinnion, and for that matter Wonderson, and Clueless ALL had favorites, so theres no change there. Will always be the case.

that said, I thought Phillips was ok, but need competition for his shirt. One way or other we have just had a revealing look at him. Hes immaturely thrown his toys out, and I think that was a useful sign for City.

Thanks Steve, for the years of service (even with the kack defence), but bye bye, if thats the way you take to competition, I'm afraid. The Easy life has just finished here at the Gate (For good I hope) Get over it!!

Guest sprout1883

This is the Steve Phillips who couldn't beleive that his fellow pros didn't vote him the best goalie in your division lasy season.

Ego or what.

Guest C.T.I.D

Anyone remember a little while ago that GJ let rip with a half time hand grenade in the changing room?

Remember Gary Johnson saying that 2 of the whole squad gave the wrong response?

Mr Steve 'Bigger than Bristol City FC' Phillips spat his dummy out then and was promptly dropped

Phillips was playing badly- look at goals conceeded when he last played. Also when he came on at Gillingham you could see the difference between the two. Basso was fit enough to play so rightly kept his place.

He isn't unloyal to want to leave but to leave after not even trying to get his place back is poor and we are better off without him.

what difference is there exactly? he still misses cross's which you hate and his kicking is not all that great either,

How many different combinations of defenders has Steve Phillips had in front of him this season and how many has Basso?

Phillips has not been given the fair crack of the whip he deserves after 10 years loyal service. Just wait on here when Basso showboats once to often and costs us a goal - he will get slaughtered.

The thing that winds me up is the Phillips backers on here do not have an argument apart from he's been here along time.

Basically they are saying Phillips could play crap every game, making clangers every week, but he MUST play because he's been here longer than Basso and that makes him loyal and better!

********! :@

Can't get the quoter thing going on so I;ll try my best here

Cidercity - I'm not on about behaviour at training - whatever happens there happens and none of us are any but the wiser. i'm talking about comments made in public, but nows not another time for naming names and all that. secodnly he is not my player he is a bristol city player cause put it this way if i was manager a lot fo things would be different, anyways.

Bucksred - all managers have favoutires, but theres those who actually give people a chance - and i'm not just talking about Phillips in this repsect.

Cynic - nobody gets a guranteed first place, but when you are picked second to another golakeeper witha taped up finger surely you would find that insulting if in that position yourself.

S.B City- agreed with the showboat comment, Basso worries me when he tries to go all theatrical on us (although it is entertaining to watch).

And who says Steve has 'spat the dummy out' just because he doesn;t say anything it doesn't mean he's sulking.

what difference is there exactly? he still misses cross's which you hate and his kicking is not all that great either,

How many different combinations of defenders has Steve Phillips had in front of him this season and how many has Basso?

Phillips has not been given the fair crack of the whip he deserves after 10 years loyal service. Just wait on here when Basso showboats once to often and costs us a goal - he will get slaughtered.

He catches most of the crosses and at least he comes out and attempts to get them. Has dropped a couple, yes- would rather have that than having a keeper who doesn;t come out at all. Kicking is better IMO. Was poor at Yoevil though. Makes me feel more confident at set pieces and generally.

Phillips has had a lot of different combinations. Basso less.

Phillips has been given more than a fair go- after all he had an easy life for years with no competition at all.

Can't get the quoter thing going on so I;ll try my best here

Bucksred - all managers have favoutires, but theres those who actually give people a chance - and i'm not just talking about Phillips in this repsect.

And who says Steve has 'spat the dummy out' just because he doesn;t say anything it doesn't mean he's sulking.

Comment still stands, every manager ever been has that...........Stevey Boy has NEVER had competition, until GJ. Steve starts acting up, what a coincidence. Hes not the automatic no 1. Sorry Steves Attitude is poor. Very poor. You don't ask forvyour name to be circulated, unless youve already done, or are about to spit dummies out. Thanks for the good times, but bye bye.

at least he wouldn't have to stay here get ridiculed by you lot and dropped like a tonne of bricks by Johnson.

A lot of people I know are ASHAMED at the way loyal, local players are treated at this "professional" institution. Yes there's giving stick for a bad performance, but shoving someone on the bench and letting a goalkeeper with a dislocated taped up finger take your place is an absolute insult. Basso and Phillips should be learning from each other, not forced to compete 24/7, it's no wonder everyone is left with a bitter feeling.

And what about the LONG TERM? Phillips could of stayed at city for many more years to come, just like a true LOYAL player, but I very much doubt it that Basso could make such a comitment (no offence intended to the man himself).

Sorry GJ but you seem to have a collection of 'favourites'. At least Brian gave the majority of players a chance and understood the concept of being part of a TEAM.

Good on Phillips if he wants to go and find first team football. Why should he have to stay here any longer and waste away.

well put claire and a hundred percent correct. To many spoilt kids lacking intellligence out there in sky land.

Guest yateady

john shaw had to wait 2 years before he got his chance to become first team keeper, it's a shame phillips can't take a leaf out of his book, ok i wouldn't expect him to wait 2 years, but after a month on the bench and then spitting his dummy out has done nothing but chastised himself from the fans imo.

john shaw had to wait 2 years before he got his chance to become first team keeper, it's a shame phillips can't take a leaf out of his book, ok i wouldn't expect him to wait 2 years, but after a month on the bench and then spitting his dummy out has done nothing but chastised himself from the fans imo.

How do you know that GJ has not said to steve phillips that Basso is number 1 and will be if hes fit (which very much seems to be the case), however i don't want you to leave?

We have and always will do as fans treat our players like crap, the Treatment Tinnion got under osman was a disgrace, and the constant barracking of players like torpey, Nugent et all was twatish as well, i love this club to bits but we have some of the worst fans i have ever come across. The very fact that big basil seems to be getting stick from city fans for the reasons he is is for me an encouraging sign. Most City fans couldn't spot an intelligent player if he slapped them in the face.

As for Phillips, mabye he did spit his dummy out, mabye he didn't. Mabye he just pointed out to GJ that we had lost 9 games on the bounce, and mabye his infernal titting about with the team was a major factor in that, lo and behold GJ picks a settled side strangely similar to that of tinnion, and we start performing again. So those 9 dreadful performances were completely unnecessary, had Gj not decided to start picking crap players from other clubs to play in a shambles of a side.

Gj is a good manager but at times he has the man management skills of Pulis, he didn't quite go hardcore on the you are all poo comments like Pulis did, but he did absolutely nothing to boost confidence in the camp initially, because he was too busy slating them all.

If Phillips had an attitude problem he wouldn't still be here, as he would have never lasted through Pulis management where he was publically told he was crap, if he had a bad attitude then he would have gone then, so there is a lot more to this than Phillips sulking IMO.

Oh ********, forgot to add, despite this i don't think Phillips should currently be starting as well results don't lie, at the moment the team is doing well with Basso between the sticks.

Steve Phillips seems an affable enough sort of bloke in the interviews he gave Bristol City World - he came across as honest and vaguely entertaining in an eccentric sort of way. Not a bad shop stopper either. That's the plus side. The down side is that he also comes across as slightly downbeat and without the traits needed to organise a defence and give them some positive encouragement and constructive advice as opposed to a bit of unproductive petulant whinging which has been evident from Steve in the past during games.

I think GJ looks at character as much as playing ability and he has said Basso has a positive effect in the dressing room. He does looks an inspired no fee signing.

I don't think it's right to be too hard on Steve Philips regarding his transfer request, it's probably dawned on him that he hasn't the personality profile to fit in with the future that GJ is mapping out and therefore it is beyond simply 'fighting for his place'. Who knows, perhaps he has learned GJ has made enquiries about another goalkeeper. His testimoial would obviously be more lucrative if he stayed so in fairness he is putting his desire to play first-team football above money.

The more interesting point for me is how much will the club get for him. I'd say anywhere between 100k and 200k with a 25% sell on clause would be realistic unless their is a bidding war between a couple of clubs or Reading take him for 500k! Is the former manager of Preston who offered 400k for Clayton Fortune in a managerial position with some spare cash to spend? Based on Clayton Fortune's value then that manager woud surely cough up 1m or more for Phillips!

How many times has Steve phillips kept the team in games with his great shot stopping?????? - LOADS

Basso has virtually had the same defence playing infront of him and from most of the games ive seen, he has had nothing to do but flap his arms around outside his box when the ball is in the oppositions half.

Phillips this season has not had the same defence playing infront of from one week till the next and also he was not at fault for the goal conceded at gillingham. i blame the wall as they just didn't do their job right.

Personally i don't feel comfortable at all with basso in goal as he hasn't proved to me that he is good enough to be a first team regular and his kicking last monday was dreadful.

STEVE PHILLIPS - BRISTOL CITY'S NO1 GOALKEEPER AND SHOULD NEVER BEEN DROPPED FOR BORING AND UNPREDICTABLE BASSO!!!!!!!!!!

Basso is such a good goalkeeper that he conceded 9 goals in his first 4 games this season whilst Steve Phillips conceded 5 goals with virtually a different defence infront of him each game

So what we are arriving at is yet another thread recommending that Johnson trashes the team that has now gone six unbeaten (which should have been seven given the bad luck against Bradford). Phillips, Stewart, Wilkshire and anybody else you care to mention do not have a divine right to a place in the side. We currently have eleven boys out there giving it their all and getting some results. Until we put in a performance that merits changes, please tell me why we should change anything?

And Cloudalav, as for being ASHAMED at the way loyal players have been treated at our professional institution - are you talking about loyal "local" players such as Doherty (wouldn't play for the previous manager), Coles (wouldn't play for the previous manager), Hill (requested, HIMSELF, that the escape clause was inserted into his contract), Anyinsah (couldn't get to the exit door quick enough), Aaron Brown (ditto Anyinsah), Carey (couldn't sit on the same bus as the rest of the lads although I admit he is playing really well now), Marvin Brown (should be at Real Madrid but plays for Weston Super Mare), Golbourne (on his bike at the first opportunity), Rosenior and now Phillips (asks to be "circulated" the first time he gets dropped) or are you talking about some other bunch of loyal players that I have missed? And yet none of the fantastic galactico style talent above could get us out of the third division. Stick the loyalty - I'll take the success please!!

And as for Basso and Phillips not competing - what is that all about? We have two keepers and one place to fill - you do the mathematics - I think some element of competition is natural, don't you? And "Brian" (I presume that is Tinnion) understands teamwork whereas Johnson doesn't. I find that strange considering the last few games have seen the "team" work twice as hard over 90 minutes as they had done for the first 20 odd matches.

How many times has Steve phillips kept the team in games with his great shot stopping?????? - LOADS

Basso has virtually had the same defence playing infront of him and from most of the games ive seen, he has had nothing to do but flap his arms around outside his box when the ball is in the oppositions half.

Phillips this season has not had the same defence playing infront of from one week till the next and also he was not at fault for the goal conceded at gillingham. i blame the wall as they just didn't do their job right.

Personally i don't feel comfortable at all with basso in goal as he hasn't proved to me that he is good enough to be a first team regular and his kicking last monday was dreadful.

STEVE PHILLIPS - BRISTOL CITY'S NO1 GOALKEEPER AND SHOULD NEVER BEEN DROPPED FOR BORING AND UNPREDICTABLE BASSO!!!!!!!!!!

Basso is such a good goalkeeper that he conceded 9 goals in his first 4 games this season whilst Steve Phillips conceded 5 goals with virtually a different defence infront of him each game

ovbiously you didnt see the double save againts yeovil.

This debate could run and run, like the reborn super Scotty Murray, but NO player is bigger than the club .

The rumour mongering re GJ's internal team management do not justify Steve Phillips asking for a move.

I have been an avid supporter of Steve often debating his merits with other City fans, but concede that the arrival of Basso has created competition for the first time since Billy Mercer was forced to retire, and Steve's form has been ropey this season.

Basso has justified his selection and Steve has sadly made his position clear.I believe he has been poorly advised, in light of this being his testimonial year and his desire to get away should be rewarded with a rapid move away from BS3.

• Admin

Simple response is Steve is NOT bigger than Bristol City, OK to some it is a loss but if he does not want to play for anymore then let him go (if anyone wants him!)

But lets put it into perspective, Yes he MAY be a loss, but over the last 20 years or so , there are MANY more influential players that have wanted out than flapper ?!?!?!

Simple response is Steve is NOT bigger than Bristol City, OK to some it is a loss but if he does not want to play for anymore then let him go (if anyone wants him!)

But lets put it into perspective, Yes he MAY be a loss, but over the last 20 years or so , there are MANY more influential players that have wanted out than flapper ?!?!?!

If he is that good ,why hasnt anyone ever come to buy him?? oh right says it all.

If he is that good ,why hasnt anyone ever come to buy him?? oh right says it all.

Not wishing to get in to the debate about the rights or wrongs about Phillips wanting away but if he was that bad how come he got voted in to the League One team by his fellow pros who presumably may know a bit more about the game than those of us contributing to this thread?

Archived