IGNORED

Just A Thought...

tin

With the MK Dons game looming large, I was looking at pictures for their new stadium on their website and the usual though of 'why can't we have something like this' crossed my mind. So I took the opportunity to have a look on Google Earth for a new site for us and believe I found one.

IPB Image

It's about than half a mile away from the Gate (top right-hand corner) and, more importantly, it falls under North Somerset duristiction. For those of you who can't make it out, the location is to the bottom left of the screen - next to David Lloyd Leisure Centre and the Long Ashton Park and Ride.

I don't know if this location has been mentioned in the past or not but surely it would be ideal and shove two fingers up the ar$e of Bristol City Council whilst keeping in our heartland.

What do you lot reckon?

(Special mention for PhatWill for helping me get the image up! Cheers mate)

Sometime last year I also thought the same asyou and looked at theariel pictures around Ashton Gate and spotted that site as a possibility. But then it is down to how much ambition the board have.

That's the question isn't it. The board claimed a few years back that they were looking inside and outside Bristol for a site yet seemingly there's one available on their doorstep and barely a whisper. It's got good transport links and parking right next door. Seems perfect to me.

Providing funding could be put in place, which never seems to be a problem with lesser clubs, then I see no reason why it shouldn't be considered. Maybe, even Bristol City Council would be spurred into some activity if we did seek to move away from their council...

It would be nice for City to stay in the Ashton area too. I a Bemmy man so obviously biased, but we've always been based in the area (was it near North St once?) and I'd hate to see our club moved, especially North of the river!!

believe it is classed as green belt land so you are unable to building there, otherwise they would no doubt have stuck some houses there.

do recall though the council were considering sticking a road in there to link A370 and A38 and get traffic out of Bristol.

besides, why move?

believe it is classed as green belt land so you are unable to building there, otherwise they would no doubt have stuck some houses there.

do recall though the council were considering sticking a road in there to link A370 and A38 and get traffic out of Bristol.

besides, why move?

I'm happy with what we've got, it's just a case of making it financially viable to stay.

Ive found some quality stadiums on that Google Earth, Stadio Olimpico in Rome, Delle Alip in Turin, Bernabeau and vicente calderon in Madrid, and Mexico City has about 6 massive stadiums.

I was in Dortmund last week and visited Borrussia's stadium, unbelievable - it made Old Trafford like like the Memorial Shed...well almost!

[

What do you lot reckon?

No new stadium

stay at the gate

new stadiums tend to be souless concrete dumps with shiny new seats and no history,

they are also out of town affairs and result in large queues of traffic and poor public transport.

I recon with the problems we have had at Ashton Gate then looking into a new stadium at this site or something simular would be a good idea.

Some new stadiums are crap granted but the powers that beatthose clubs obviosly didn't have the vision. Alot can be made out of a newstadium, Like great design, Fantastic acustics great facillites for non match day income etc etc.

This site isn't really out of town, It is a 5-10 mins walk from the gate so there wouldn't be much difference. And theclub have used tpark and ride in the past so I guess they would be able to use it again but this time they would have more success with it.

Guest revkev

Living not far from the JJB stadium and reasonably close to the Reebok at Bolton I have seen the experience of two relocations, one within the existing urban area and one outside, near the motorway. There are merits for both, and provided that land drainage issues can be sorted I think that the suggested site would be ideal.

As for modern stadia being "soulless concrete places with plastic seats", it sounds like a good description of the Dolman Stand at times.

Some new stadiums are crap granted but the powers that beatthose clubs obviosly didn't have the vision. Alot can be made out of a newstadium, Like great design, Fantastic acustics great facillites for non match day income etc etc.

And about a £30 Million debt.

And about a £30 Million debt.

Yes true but thats the price you pay and a new stadium will bring new and more fans' to watch games. I give Hull City as a example here.

We could make a llot more wth thenn match day income and this would help to pay it off andalso help to bring on field sucess. Your arguement doesn't really stand up as City will have to spend more on Ashton Gate than that in the next 10 years by replacing the East End, Williams and Dolman stands. So it would beeasier to build a new stdium and that way you wouldn't miss out on ticket sells like you wouldat Ashton Gate when they knock those three stands down.

From memory the area next to the David Lloyd Centre was one of three looked at by Bristol Council when they completed a feasibility study for City and Rovers having a new stadium.

I thinks it fell down for lack of sustainable transport links, being on greenbelt land and that its in an area which would benefit City more than Rovers as its so close to Ashton Gate and the red half of Bristol.

[

What do you lot reckon?

No new stadium

stay at the gate

new stadiums tend to be souless concrete dumps with shiny new seats and no history,

they are also out of town affairs and result in large queues of traffic and poor public transport.

Ashton Gate - Not the most Souly of Places?

P.S

At the moment

IF you look on the same website it is possible to see the site of the old airport in Hengrove which I believe was looked at a few years ago. If so why wasn't a ground built there?

Also a large part of Filton airport is being built on very soon, why wasn't this site explored (although I admit it is in the wrong area).

Locals rejected it. We got a voting slip through and voted yes, but alot of people didnt want it, becuase it is already a busy area and on a Saturday it would be heaving.

Only a small point but if that site was chosen, what would you call the club - as it is outside of the Bristol boundary

Although it may be outside of the Bristol boundary I bet it is closer to the centre of Bristol than teh rugby ground.

Also the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta (as well as Bristol Community Festival, Bristol Kite Festival etc) and Bristol International Airport are outside the boundary.

On a final note wasn't the Severnside site outside of teh boundary of Bristol (although I may be wrong).

Although it may be outside of the Bristol boundary I bet it is closer to the centre of Bristol than teh rugby ground.

Also the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta (as well as Bristol Community Festival, Bristol Kite Festival etc) and Bristol International Airport are outside the boundary.

On a final note wasn't the Severnside site outside of teh boundary of Bristol (although I may be wrong).

You may well me right, Its confusingas there is the county of Bristol and the City of Bristol. So severnside may of been South Glos but still may of been in The City of Bristol. Pretty much like where I live.

Personally, the only thing I would be looking to build at the moment is A TEAM. When the ensuing demand for seats starts outstripping supply on a regular basis perhaps we then look at the possibilities of playing in either a massively revamped Ashton Gate (with TWO tier stands rather than single tier stands that cost £7 million and have no impact on capacity) or a new state of the art stadium in the SOUTHERN half/boundaries of Bristol.

None of which are relevant to football league rules

None of which are relevant to football league rules

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Grimsby Town actually play in Cleethorpes? Millwall - Bermondsey? West Ham - East Ham? Arsenal - Islington? Bolton, Middlesborough and the like - newly created motorway junctions on the outskirts of the City unlikely to have been sited within the original City boundaries? I don't recall Bristol Rovers changing their name to Gas Nomads FC when they played at Bath. What do the rules say?

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Grimsby Town actually play in Cleethorpes? Millwall - Bermondsey? West Ham - East Ham? Arsenal - Islington? Bolton, Middlesborough and the like - newly created motorway junctions on the outskirts of the City unlikely to have been sited within the original City boundaries? I don't recall Bristol Rovers changing their name to Gas Nomads FC when they played at Bath. What do the rules say?

You are quite right with the above, although West Ham could possibly be in Plaistow, who knows? You could also add Brighton playing at Gillingham, Maidstone at Dartford, Wimbledon at Milton Keynes? - so moving 80 miles away to a town with no league club and absolutely no geographical connection with the original club would seem to be reasonable grounds for a name change.

I wouldn't think that there is any football league ruling on the naming of a club, as long as it infringes no copyrights and offends no-one (Arse 'n' All?).

Archived