IGNORED

Just A Thought...

tin

You may well me right, Its confusingas there is the county of Bristol and the City of Bristol. So severnside may of been South Glos but still may of been in The City of Bristol. Pretty much like where I live.

The City of Bristol has exactly the same boundary as the County of Bristol. However, Bristol is only really referred to as a County in an administrative way. There is no piece of South Glos that is in the City of Bristol, the boundaries do not overlap.

Bristol, South Glos, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerest are all Unitary Authorities ie all Council Services are provided by the individual council. Until 1996 they were all part of Avon County, which delivered services such as Education, Social Services and Trading Standards on a two-tier local govenment system.

Although Avon no longer exists as a County, the name is still used by organisations such as Avon and Somerset Constabulary, Avon Fire Brigade, Avon Ambulance Services NHS Trust, and HM Coroner's Office for the District of Avon.

Hope that clears that one up.

The City of Bristol has exactly the same boundary as the County of Bristol. However, Bristol is only really referred to as a County in an administrative way. There is no piece of South Glos that is in the City of Bristol, the boundaries do not overlap.

Bristol, South Glos, North Somerset and Bath and North East Somerest are all Unitary Authorities ie all Council Services are provided by the individual council. Until 1996 they were all part of Avon County, which delivered services such as Education, Social Services and Trading Standards on a two-tier local govenment system.

Although Avon no longer exists as a County, the name is still used by organisations such as Avon and Somerset Constabulary, Avon Fire Brigade, Avon Ambulance Services NHS Trust, and HM Coroner's Office for the District of Avon.

Hope that clears that one up.

I beg to differ on this. Take filton for instance. Southgos starts on Southmead Road yet is still in Bristol and my postal address is ** **** **** Thornbury,Bristol, South Glos, Bs35 ***

I beg to differ on this. Take filton for instance. Southgos starts on Southmead Road yet is still in Bristol and my postal address is ** **** **** Thornbury,Bristol, South Glos, Bs35 ***

Likewise the Bristol/South Glos boundary runs through Fishponds, Frenchay, and Kingswood. So where you live is decided by which side of the boundary you are on. The test is who do you pay your Council Tax to? In your case obviously South Glos, but in the streets surrounding the boundary you will find people who live in the same street having a different waste collection day under a totally different recycling system because they live in a different local authority from their near neighbours.

If you show me someone who pays two lots of Council Tax to two Local authorities for the same property I will concede defeat on this one.

The postal address is not relevant as people tend to use the address that suits them. Some people will use Filton, South Glos because they think it sounds more suburban, others may use Chipping Sodbury, Bristol because they don't think that the Royal Mail has heard of South Glos! Likewise towns like Keynsham, Nailsea and Yate may all use Bristol in their postal address, but none of them are actually in Bristol. If you meet someone from another part of the country and you live in, say, Saltford you are more likely to initially tell them that you come from Bristol than "Bath and North East Somerset" (although "near Bath" might impress people).

Likewise the Bristol/South Glos boundary runs through Fishponds, Frenchay, and Kingswood. So where you live is decided by which side of the boundary you are on. The test is who do you pay your Council Tax to? In your case obviously South Glos, but in the streets surrounding the boundary you will find people who live in the same street having a different waste collection day under a totally different recycling system because they live in a different local authority from their near neighbours.

If you show me someone who pays two lots of Council Tax to two Local authorities for the same property I will concede defeat on this one.

The postal address is not relevant as people tend to use the address that suits them. Some people will use Filton, South Glos because they think it sounds more suburban, others may use Chipping Sodbury, Bristol because they don't think that the Royal Mail has heard of South Glos! Likewise towns like Keynsham, Nailsea and Yate may all use Bristol in their postal address, but none of them are actually in Bristol. If you meet someone from another part of the country and you live in, say, Saltford you are more likely to initially tell them that you come from Bristol than "Bath and North East Somerset" (although "near Bath" might impress people).

All I know is on my tenancy agreement with South Glos Council the property addres is what I mentioned above.Surely thecocl would know ifthere in Bristol or not.I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one as it'sto late to argue.and we should really get back to the thread topic.

Anyway I think the club should look into this sieas things may be different with a different council and there wont be any argements to Bristol council that ifwe have a new stadium then Rovers also hae to or we have to share.

All I know is on my tenancy agreement with South Glos Council the property addres is what I mentioned above.Surely thecocl would know ifthere in Bristol or not.I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one as it'sto late to argue.and we should really get back to the thread topic.

Anyway I think the club should look into this sieas things may be different with a different council and there wont be any argements to Bristol council that ifwe have a new stadium then Rovers also hae to or we have to share.

OK, but I still say that you cannot have one address and live in South glos and Bristol, and if your tenancy is with South Glos and you pay Council Tax to South Glos then you do not technically and administratively live in Bristol. But, yes, it is confusing because people will tend to think of themselves as living in Bristol or the Bristol area as it is the City they identify themselves with and the postal addresses and the "County status or not" issues do not help.

So back to topic - any idea what it was??

It's chucked down all day. That's not relevant to Football League rules either. What's your point?

I understood Rovers came running back to Bristol because had they stayed away one more season they would have had to have dropped the Bristol from their name - apologies if I am wrong but I am sure I read it somewhere.

I understood Rovers came running back to Bristol because had they stayed away one more season they would have had to have dropped the Bristol from their name - apologies if I am wrong but I am sure I read it somewhere.

I'm glad you cleared that one up England. I always thought Rovers came back because Dunford spotted an opportunity to pilfer somebody else's stadium!!

That's untrue. To the best of my knowledge, Leyton Orient haven't even played in Europe, let alone the exotic east, yet they've not been forced to drop it from their name. :whistle:

not true. Believe it or not but chelsea are based in Fulham, and Fulham in Putney.

You are quite right with the above, although West Ham could possibly be in Plaistow, who knows? You could also add Brighton playing at Gillingham, Maidstone at Dartford, Wimbledon at Milton Keynes? - so moving 80 miles away to a town with no league club and absolutely no geographical connection with the original club would seem to be reasonable grounds for a name change.

Only the imposters play in milton Keynes. The real Wimbledon (AFC Wimbledon ) still play down the road in Kingston.

Perhaps this says something. a football club can sell their ground and ditch their fans, but the soul of the club still remains close to its roots.

I for one will be supporting two teams on Friday, both City and AFC Wim. Who knows, perhaps a win on friday will help the MK franchise slide down the leagues. Is possible that in three years time they could be playing each other in the Conference South.

Yes, Chelsea FC is situated in Fulham, North of the river. But it is not in Putney which is South of the river. :)

Quite right , but Fulham Fc are closer to Putney station than they are to Fulham.

If I can have my five pence worth here seeing as I am a local and my house is on the picture.

We recently had a document from Bristol City Council stating the land you are proposing will have a road through it soon. It will allow the A370 to link up with the A38 easing congestion on the Parson Street one way system and Bedminster Down.

The proposal for this road it to link the motorways with the Airport whilst it goes through expansion as there will be more traffic.

Also this will help the residents of Barrow Gurney as their village is used as a 'rat run' and many GPRS system use this route.

It sounds like this will go ahead once the expansion at the airport is fully approved.

Sorry to disappoint those in favour of this, but you may as well get back to Google Earth and start searching again.

Personally....I would have the football there !!

MM

If I can have my five pence worth here seeing as I am a local and my house is on the picture.

We recently had a document from Bristol City Council stating the land you are proposing will have a road through it soon. It will allow the A370 to link up with the A38 easing congestion on the Parson Street one way system and Bedminster Down.

The proposal for this road it to link the motorways with the Airport whilst it goes through expansion as there will be more traffic.

Also this will help the residents of Barrow Gurney as their village is used as a 'rat run' and many GPRS system use this route.

It sounds like this will go ahead once the expansion at the airport is fully approved.

Sorry to disappoint those in favour of this, but you may as well get back to Google Earth and start searching again.

Personally....I would have the football there !!

MM

Why not have both? There's plenty of land available towards Barrow Gurney. Surely if there's a new road to go in that means two things. 1) the land is available for further development and 2) improvements to the traffic infrastructure will be shortly be in place...

Why not have both? There's plenty of land available towards Barrow Gurney. Surely if there's a new road to go in that means two things. 1) the land is available for further development and 2) improvements to the traffic infrastructure will be shortly be in place...

Depends who owns the land in the firsty place. If it's private, then it makes things complicated.

MM

Archived