IGNORED

Is It Just Me..but....

surreyred

There seems to be something of a feel good about the place at the moment.

The Puma deal appears to have got a lot of people excited.

The team appear to be playing for each other, and prepared to bust a gut for the club. The alleged drinking culture appears to have been put away, hopefully for good.

We have a manager who is talking about "earning" the right to get promoted, and picking players because they do a job within the team playing structure, rather than because of their name or what they cost.

At the start of this season a lot of people got excited, but it was another false dawn. But this was based on the principle of the last few years of, throw money at it, or get a player with a name and promotion will happen automatically.

I feel the thinking within the club has changed and we now realise we need hard work and get decisions, on and off the field, right.

I am not saying we will be promoted next season, but i feel we have started the journey to achive that.

I feel more positive about the seaon to come than i have for some time.

Maybe.

I am always hopeful at the start of the season, however it must be mentioned that supporting this club hurts season after season.

Therefore, I'm going to try hard to not get excited - no matter who we sign - until 10/15 games into the season and we are running away with it.

I think we have to be careful and realistic. The club have shot themselves in the foot in the past few years - "Judge me on Tinnion" "The only thing I want is promotion" and then the signing of Stewart and Bridges for this season. We have a good PR team who are very clever at building up hopes of supporters and creating media spin - therefore I'm going to try and not fall for it.

I think this season has acted as a proper kick up the backside for all of us, if ever we needed one.

I think realistically we should be looking at the play-offs next season and continue building under Johnson. Going into this season I think all of us knew that if it didn't work out for whatever reason, the likes of Bridges and Stewart would probably jump ship. But now if we don't quite make it for whatever reason next year we must simply move on the players that haven't performed, and carry on building around the spine we're forming (Carey, Heywood, possibly Fontaine, Noble, Skuse, Brooker etc.).

I think we all have something to be optmistic about, but we have to employ a patient optimism. The club is starting to head in the right direction again, and now there is a sense that everyone at the club wants the same things.

It might not happen overnight, but at least when we get promoted under Johnson, it will probably be at the right time, with the right players and the right staff to help us progress even further.

I think realistically we should be looking at the play-offs next season and continue building under Johnson.

I agree with all of your post, but I don't see why we should only aim for the playoffs.

I'm not for one minute saying we should expect to walk the league next season, but our form since the side settled down after Christmas puts us 2nd or 3rd in the league - with a side that we all recognise as inadequate in several areas (up front and wide midfield positions are my chief concern). If (and I appreciate it's a big if) Johnson can keep the current good feeling and form going into next season and ally it with a couple of quality signings (some will probably doubt his ability to find these, but I'm content to trust his judgement for now), then I see no reason why we couldn't have a very good season next year.

I don't think we can expect promotion next season, but I think we have a very realistic hope of it.

I agree with all of your post, but I don't see why we should only aim for the playoffs.

I'm not for one minute saying we should expect to walk the league next season, but our form since the side settled down after Christmas puts us 2nd or 3rd in the league - with a side that we all recognise as inadequate in several areas (up front and wide midfield positions are my chief concern). If (and I appreciate it's a big if) Johnson can keep the current good feeling and form going into next season and ally it with a couple of quality signings (some will probably doubt his ability to find these, but I'm content to trust his judgement for now), then I see no reason why we couldn't have a very good season next year.

I don't think we can expect promotion next season, but I think we have a very realistic hope of it.

We'd all love to finish in the top 2 next season, but if you offered me 6th place for next season now, I'd probably take it.

We'd all love to finish in the top 2 next season, but if you offered me 6th place for next season now, I'd probably take it.

I'd probably have to agree with that. There are too many variables to guarantee anything and we could easily have another disaster. The aim has to be to win the league though and I don't believe it's completely unrealistic.

its amazing how something as simple as the shirt sponsor has had such a positive impact on everyone associated with the club.

i for one wish the next season was starting tomorrow. if we can hold on the the players we have, cotts, brooker, fontaine etc, and with a few additions, a great future is lying ahead for us.

i think this new sponsor shows great ambition by the club and that we are moving in the right direction. recent form has been better than most pushing for promotion and if we keep this 'good feel' factor going into next season, who knows what we can achieve!

just think, about a month ago i posted a topic saying not to get carried away for next season :blush:

BRING IT ON!!!!

:city::city::city:

The shirt deal is good for the club but is purely cosmetic,after all its the players wearing them that matters.It was hardly the shirt sponsors fault that City have done nothing this season.

Imo Johnson needs another 3,maybe 4 new signings over the summer and also needs to retain Brooker's services.A goalscoring midfielder is also a must.

I think I'll wait untill I see who joins over the summer before I optimistic or otherwise about next season.

The shirt deal is good for the club but is purely cosmetic,after all its the players wearing them that matters.It was hardly the shirt sponsors fault that City have done nothing this season.

kits and leisure ranges bring vital revenue to the club. TFG products were a joke, and i doubt many people brought a tfg product that wasn't a kit.

Imagine being a newcomer to the city, and you walk into that bristol sport shop in broadmead, you see a naff blue and white quarterd strip on one side and a strip made by a world wide brand. Which would you buy?

Am still fairly cynical of the board (sorry Badger - I see you're reading).

The EE, if it does happen :pray: I suspect has little to do with calls for it but some alterior motive but it'll be span to look as though it's the fans that they're thinking of.

The kit manufacturer, a good financial decision I must admit but probably forced upon them due to dissapointing low exploitation levels of fans in 05/06 through TFG.

Their appointment of GJ I thought was and is a good one but I'm not going to go getting carried away though no matter who they bring in or whatever.

October/November will be the time to see if we really are onto something special or not.

Hmmm, I just dislike being seen as a customer in my own Club - exploited at every corner.

Tis the modern way I s'pose :(

kits and leisure ranges bring vital revenue to the club. TFG products were a joke, and i doubt many people brought a tfg product that wasn't a kit.

Imagine being a newcomer to the city, and you walk into that bristol sport shop in broadmead, you see a naff blue and white quarterd strip on one side and a strip made by a world wide brand. Which would you buy?

A plain red Tee-shirt...... for about £3.00 ........ well you did ask.

The club is certainly turning a corner on the pitch. Whatever your views on the 9 defeats in a row it is now obvious that players are fitter, more organised (the back four in particular), achieving decent results (despite a squad of players that is lacking quality in a few areas) and the whole camp appears to be a lot happier than it was a few months back (with the odd exception!). Off the pitch I really don't feel we can say a corner is being turned until we see debts reduce dramatically - the Puma kit deal is not going to achieve this as the increase in shirt sales will no doubt be matched by a reduction in season ticket sales (judging by the number of season ticket holders I know who are staying away more weeks than they attend).

There seems to be something of a feel good about the place at the moment

The team appear to be playing for each other, and prepared to bust a gut for the club. The alleged drinking culture appears to have been put away, hopefully for good.

We have a manager who is talking about "earning" the right to get promoted, and picking players because they do a job within the team playing structure, rather than because of their name or what they cost.

At the start of this season a lot of people got excited, but it was another false dawn. But this was based on the principle of the last few years of, throw money at it, or get a player with a name and promotion will happen automatically.

I feel the thinking within the club has changed and we now realise we need hard work and get decisions, on and off the field, right.

I am not saying we will be promoted next season, but i feel we have started the journey to achive that.

I feel more positive about the seaon to come than i have for some time.

Funny that, I said exactly the same on monday night. Don"t care where the kit comes from though.

Could be difficult buying anything. The shop has been knocked down.

I would be worried if we were pinning our hopes on Puma for next seasons sucess, how does that work?

It's going to take a lot more than a fancy shirt sponsor to drag us into the Championship, i've not seen the figures and i'm unlikley to, but i would be interested to see which shirt sponsor gererates the most money for the club, could it be that by taking on Puma we have cost ourselves money for a player?

There can be little doubt that even with increased shirt sales from Puma the profit from them will be far less than a 'generic' sponsor like this seasons one, in which case the club must be happy with it's current financial situation and i look forward to seeing several new signings in the summer. :)

can't believe a differnet shirt manufacturer will make a blind bit of difference to performance on the pitch in itslef but if it creates a more positive atmosphere then can do no harm. Might Sexstone and the team get credit on here for doing something right- now that would be novel

The club has been turning a corner for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, during that time we were just going round in circles, so we kept on turning the same corner we had turned previously and kept coming back to where we had started from - we were in a vicious circle primarily caused because of the underlying attitude/regime that had established itself at the club over a long period.

Whatever other posters might think about GJ's methods, I think that an increasing majority of fans are now realising that in GJ we at last have a manager who has not only realised what the underlying problem is/was and what needed to be done to correct it, but has the ability, balls and determination to do what is necessary to turn it around. When you try and change things you are going to upset some people whose comfort zone will be undone ( fans included) and that's been reflected in some fans views over the Marcus Stewart's situation, but there will always be a cost for acheiving important change. I can't say whether GJ is a good enough Manager to secure us promotion next year ( but hope so ), but think the club's chances in the longer term have been enhanced by the changes he has acheived since taking over.

The club has been turning a corner for the last 6 years. Unfortunately, during that time we were just going round in circles, so we kept on turning the same corner we had turned previously and kept coming back to where we had started from - we were in a vicious circle primarily caused because of the underlying attitude/regime that had established itself at the club over a long period.

Whatever other posters might think about GJ's methods, I think that an increasing majority of fans are now realising that in GJ we at last have a manager who has not only realised what the underlying problem is/was and what needed to be done to correct it, but has the ability, balls and determination to do what is necessary to turn it around. When you try and change things you are going to upset some people whose comfort zone will be undone ( fans included) and that's been reflected in some fans views over the Marcus Stewart's situation, but there will always be a cost for acheiving important change. I can't say whether GJ is a good enough Manager to secure us promotion next year ( but hope so ), but think the club's chances in the longer term have been enhanced by the changes he has acheived since taking over.

Agree.

People say that Johnson upset people when he got tough. What was he suppose to do?

No other manager had sorted out the problem with their aproaches. Johnson, as far as I'm aware, has!

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs, as the saying goes.

Archived