IGNORED

Summer Work Gets Go Ahead (main Site)

SimplyRed

I can't help feeling that the club (in the guise of 'Mr Prawn Sandwich', Colin Sexton) continues to alienate the root support of the club by the persistence of this Premier Club nonsense.

I have no wish to re-start the debate about the ejection of Season Ticket Holders in the Williams to make way for Corporate nobodys in an effort to increase their income.

But it would go a long way to pacifying disgruntled STHs if the club would simply perform some much-needed basic repairs and upgrades to our existing facilities before ploughing money into schemes that do not encourage attendance by the ordinary 'fan in the street'.

I note that the Dolman seat replacement is 'on the agenda', but needs a 'grant' in order for it to go ahead. :whistle:

What I would like to know is, when is the club going to improve the seating for the long suffering fans in the Williams (Premier Club excepted!)? My seat in the Williams costs me well over £300 each season and, for that investment, I'm expected to sit on a plank of plywood 35cm wide by 20cm deep!

It's a hard and bitter pill to swallow to expect supporters to accept schemes like the Premier Club when ordinary supporters are treated like something that was stepped in and are expected to be grateful and satisifed with their bit of wood, even though we have to sit sideways because the seats aren't wide enough to accommodate people sitting shoulder to shoulder in adjacent seats.

:@

Sorry SR but have to disagree- this prawn sandwich stuff is really nonesense. As I have said before Roy Keane coined the phrase for those that visited Old T simply to say they were there but understood little about football. The same cannot be said of Ashton Gate - only those truly committed to the club will visit. The premier club will allow those that can afford it to pay more to watch in a greater degree of comfort with pre-match facilities. In providing this the club will raise much needed revenue by maximising the take from this section of the support base. This in turn allows the club to either keep prices lower than they otherwise would be or to spend money elsewhere. This is sound business and I can't see why people can't accept that it is both good for the club and ultimately good for them. Its not as if we have a sell out every week now is it?

Having a decent meal at the ground watching the game, a half time cuppa or extra glass of wine is quite an enjoyable way to mark a special occasion or for those that wish to participate to watch every game. I hope this is a rip roaring success because if it is it means extra revenue and that can only help.

I can't help feeling that the club (in the guise of 'Mr Prawn Sandwich', Colin Sexton) continues to alienate the root support of the club by the persistence of this Premier Club nonsense.

I have no wish to re-start the debate about the ejection of Season Ticket Holders in the Williams to make way for Corporate nobodys in an effort to increase their income.

But it would go a long way to pacifying disgruntled STHs if the club would simply perform some much-needed basic repairs and upgrades to our existing facilities before ploughing money into schemes that do not encourage attendance by the ordinary 'fan in the street'.

I note that the Dolman seat replacement is 'on the agenda', but needs a 'grant' in order for it to go ahead. :whistle:

What I would like to know is, when is the club going to improve the seating for the long suffering fans in the Williams (Premier Club excepted!)? My seat in the Williams costs me well over £300 each season and, for that investment, I'm expected to sit on a plank of plywood 35cm wide by 20cm deep!

Be honest mate i buy 2 seats in the Williams, but no more.

They are uncomfortable ply rubbish to, so off to the Dolman i think

It's a hard and bitter pill to swallow to expect supporters to accept schemes like the Premier Club when ordinary supporters are treated like something that was stepped in and are expected to be grateful and satisifed with their bit of wood, even though we have to sit sideways because the seats aren't wide enough to accommodate people sitting shoulder to shoulder in adjacent seats.

Sorry SR but have to disagree- this prawn sandwich stuff is really nonesense. As I have said before Roy Keane coined the phrase for those that visited Old T simply to say they were there but understood little about football. The same cannot be said of Ashton Gate - only those truly committed to the club will visit. The premier club will allow those that can afford it to pay more to watch in a greater degree of comfort with pre-match facilities. In providing this the club will raise much needed revenue by maximising the take from this section of the support base. This in turn allows the club to either keep prices lower than they otherwise would be or to spend money elsewhere. This is sound business and I can't see why people can't accept that it is both good for the club and ultimately good for them. Its not as if we have a sell out every week now is it?

Having a decent meal at the ground watching the game, a half time cuppa or extra glass of wine is quite an enjoyable way to mark a special occasion or for those that wish to participate to watch every game. I hope this is a rip roaring success because if it is it means extra revenue and that can only help.

Of course it's business but part of good business is pr and consulting with your customers.

BCFC consulted five thousand business's regarding the Willliams but how many existing fans? Sound business is also investing in the customers you already have as it is a harder to attract new customers than the ones you already have. look after the customer and the business will look after it's self said a bloke responsible for crap burgers but at ther moment a not insignificant part of Citys support is getting very little back.We are all important prawn sandwhich, low earner, singing , smoking the lot :city:

and we already have better facilities than most club's in our division- as anyone who has been to grounds like Swindle will testify..............earning greater profits from those willing to pay more will help subsidise improvements for all- viz the redevelopment of the Dolman facility with improved kiosks which was in the same announcement. Rather than moan people should take a look at investment that is being made and also compare with those around us. Whyt its it we are able to attract International fixtures- because we have decent facilities- sure they can be improved but how many season tickets holders are prepared to pay more? club also consults with its supporters through FCF ..............

Bottom line is, they're spending money on the Premier club to generate money. I don't think that's a bad idea, it'll help us eventually run in the black. The work to improve the Dolman is waiting on a grant because it's eligible for one and it's good that the club try and get as much free cash as possible. You don't think they'd spend cash on setting up the Premier club if they could get a grant for that too do you?

If I recall, the problem with the Williams seats is that replacing them with plastic ones would mean less seats overall because the wooden ones are smaller? I don't think it would be that hard for them to do though I must admit, the last time I sat in there I had so little leg room I began to believe in DVT.

Maybe it's worth asking the Supporter's Trust to ask some questions on which facilities fans think are most in need when they do this survery they're discussing?

I think the point SR is making is that the club invest money into premier seating which ultimately won't make much differnce to ordinary fans.Most of us either couldn't afford them or simply woudn't be interested.At the same time core fans who turn up week in week out are left to sit on hard wooden benches.

Its a fair point but as has been pointed out already the club have to generate income and replacing the wooden seat for more comfy ones simply doesn't do that.In fact it would cost the club money.At least the Premier seats will generate income.

Thats way it has to be,after all City are not exactly Chelski...

I think the point SR is making is that the club invest money into premier seating which ultimately won't make much differnce to ordinary fans.

This is the only bit of your post I will dispute - these seats are bloody expensive, something like £1,500 a year from memory (I have all the details cause I'm getting thrown out of my seat at the end of this season for this development :doh:). If there's 685 seats, which is I think what Colin said there would be yesterday, then that's over a million a year in income from only those seats.

:blink:

This is the only bit of your post I will dispute - these seats are bloody expensive, something like £1,500 a year from memory (I have all the details cause I'm getting thrown out of my seat at the end of this season for this development :doh:). If there's 685 seats, which is I think what Colin said there would be yesterday, then that's over a million a year in income from only those seats.

:blink:

Ron,you should have read the sentence after the one you highlight....

(I have all the details cause I'm getting thrown out of my seat at the end of this season for this development :doh:).

Ron, you never sat in your seat anyway! :laugh:

Ron, how much did it cost to switch your ticket to another stand? Do you just ring the Club and they switch it?

Ron, you never sat in your seat anyway! :laugh:

Quiet. :ph34r:

Ron, how much did it cost to switch your ticket to another stand? Do you just ring the Club and they switch it?

Freeeee. But if you want to upgrade to a more expensive seat then it'd cost the difference. :)

I've got to disagree with you on this SR.

When you fly in goat class, do you complain that there are passengers in bigger swankier seats near the front of the plane eating nicer food? No, because you know that the extortionate prices they pay actually go into making your seat cheaper.

Likewise, why complain if the club is charging some people much more for better facilities in the ground like wider seats? This generates extra revenue for the club from which ultimately we will all benefit because either it generates extra cash on top of what is already raised which can be pumped into facilities or the team, or if the club decides to keep the same amount of revenue it reduces the amount they have to derive from you, meaning you pay less.

In fact, you are wrong to suggest that the club should carry out repairs and upgrades before this development. If you listen to the Colin Sexstone piece you will see that precisely because of the funds this has brought in, the club will be able to massively upgrade the facilities available to the "ordinary" fan in the Red and White bar. In fact, CS suggests it will be the best facility for "ordinary" fans anywhere in the league. So you see, we are all benefiting from this.

Likewise, the the seating improvements (which personally I don't want as I specifically chose to sit in Block E because I prefer the flat wooden seats to crappy moulded red plastic Block D ones that are uncomfortable!) are only delayed because the committee providing grants (and I'd like to see you argue that we shouldn't be getting as much grant aid as possible!) does not sit to consider our case until May, so we can't go ahead until then. CS seemed pretty confident it was a formality, so I don't see what the problem is.

It is unfortunate that some fans have had to be moved to make way for the Premier Club, I agree, but from what I understand the cluib worked with each of them on an individual basis where necessary to make them happier. We have to accept that our season ticket buys us a seat for a season. I am emotionally attached to my seats because it's where I have grown up with my dad watching games. But I know I won't be there forever, or even for that much longer. One day soon, for the wider good of the club, the Dolman will probably be completely rebuilt and Block E, Row M, Seat 5 will either no longer exist or will be in a different spot with a different view. We all have to accept time moves on and that the greater good is what matters most.

I don't understand this hostility among some of us "ordinary fans" to the Premier Club. It's not as if we're being prevented from watching the club. These are additional people who will be coming or, as I found out from a day I spent in hospitality for a pal's birthday recently, so-called genuine fans either treating them and their mates to a special day out or genuine fans with a bit more money who want a slap-up meal, better facilities etc. What's wrong with that? And what's wrong with companies who see taking clients etc to Ashton Gate as an ideal way of spending their money? Would you rather they spent it someehere else? The Gas, perhaps? In fact, I suggest not only are we parting people with their money, but some of those who come on a 'jolly' may never have considered coming to the Gate and may enjoy it so much that they come back. I know at least three people who were in our party for my pal's birthday had never been before - but at the next game I bumped into them on the way to the ground, where they were going back and sitting among us "ordinary fans" because they'd enjoyed it so much.

As a club with debts and massive pressure to bring in funds to improve facilities and the team, we have to maximise revenue from all income streams. That means getting as much out of the "prawn sandwich brigade" as possible. The more we get from them, the more money the club has to fund what we all want - a great team and a great stadium we can be proud of.

• Admin

One day soon, for the wider good of the club, the Dolman will probably be completely rebuilt and Block E, Row M, Seat 5 will either no longer exist or will be in a different spot with a different view. We all have to accept time moves on and that the greater good is what matters most.

I'd have put the East End & the Grandstand as priorities for rebuilding over the Dolman, so "one day soon" for a Dolman replacement ???

C'mon spill the beans, whats happening - have you persauded Murdoch to send a wedge our way?

I'd have put the East End & the Grandstand as priorities for rebuilding over the Dolman, so "one day soon" for a Dolman replacement ???

C'mon spill the beans, whats happening - have you persauded Murdoch to send a wedge our way?

I thought the Dolman was the most difficult for quite a few reasons.

- You've got to have access behind it for emergency vehicles which limits the depth

- That means it is steep, which complicates having proper concourse entry to it like the atyeo

- It's got all the facilities under it which we'd have to do without for a year

I thought that this was one of the prime reasons they originally looked at a new ground, because the Dolman would be so expensive and problematic to rebuild, to the point where a new ground was cheaper than redeveloping Ashton gate.

club also consults with its supporters through FCF ..............

I get irritated by this claim. I know very little about them, they have never consulted me yet claim to be representing my views and I've adopted a fairly cynical view that it is just in place so that the Club can tick of the 'consulting the fan's' box but it is all a guise in which I do not trust.

As for discontent with Mr. Sexstone, it seems the only language that he's going to hear is that by the message portrayed by the use of one's feet. This would need numbers to be of benefit and that is something I can't see the City fan's agreeing too, so we shall continue to be crapped on I'm afraid.

I'm amazed that City have taken so long to embrace more corporate hospitality, they should be building 'boxes' in the Williams not just bigger seats. We never fill the ground and the 'serious' money will never enter the club from the outside without providing facilities with full creature comforts.

Even if we were promoted the number of times we would fill the ground might be 6 times a year. Build the boxes!

read this on the main site and thought to myself "i wonder if someone on the forum will have a moan about this" as i couldnt see anything but positives myself. And sure enough, there it is..!

we want promotion, so we want (no - we DEMAND) the best players. Best players earn high wages, and our turnover barely covers wage bill as it is. This investment will get more money for the club, so we can afford the James Hayter's of this world and maybe even go up one day. And it's not at all pushing out the man in the street - i see plenty of empty seats everytime i visit the gate, so he's staying away anyway.

It's not the club's fault.. the football wage market is massively overinflated, and if want to complete, we need to make as much money out of our prime real estate as possible. Fact.

Problem is with at least 4 girders in your way, You'll spend more time out of your seat (that's if you want to see the whole game) or of course you can sit still eat your prawn sandwiches and say 'I was there'.

Cheap option, Either find a way to put them in the Dolman or redvelope the Wedlock as intended.

How can any ORDINARY fan get exited about this 'Premier Club' nonsense, it may make us a LITTLE profit in the LONG TERM but it certainly won't be anyway near the millions we need to clear our debts or go towards building the new East End Stand.

BCFC should concentrate on re-building the trust between it and its loyal supporters first.

BCAGFC

How can any ORDINARY fan get exited about this 'Premier Club' nonsense, it may make us a LITTLE profit in the LONG TERM but it certainly won't be anyway near the millions we need to clear our debts or go towards building the new East End Stand.

If they sell all the seats it's the best part of a million quid a year. That's a massive difference. Had we had a million extra quid last year I doubt there would have been anywhere near as much temptation to sell Lita.

BCFC should concentrate on re-building the trust between it and its loyal supporters first.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Consider that if we want to operate without a loss every year, which we have to, the alternatives to bringing in more revenue from prawn sandwich types are a) spending less on players wages so bringing in more loans/young players/rejects b) getting more cash out of the average supporter by raising prices.

How can any supporter who wants the club to do well object to a scheme that will bring in lots of money even if it inconvenience's them a bit? Sure, maybe they could handle it better, but in the long run isn't this good for the club?

OK - let me clarify a few points, as I believe some of my comments have been misconstrued.

First off, I have absolutely nothing against the Premier Club, per se, providing it brings in the sort of cash that their investment in it will demand.

What irks me is that, to paraphrase some other posters on this thread, we (being the "ordinary" fan) are supposed to be grateful for the facilities we do have because "you should see the facilities at other clubs". Well excuse me, but I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what happens at other clubs. Furthermore, I think you will find that City's ticketing tariff is at the top end of this league.

As a paying customer of a not insubstantial amount of money for the 'privilege' of watching Bristol City, I believe I have a right to expect a reasonable amount of comfort for my money.

I do not call a plank of plywood that is narrower than my shoulders reasonable or comfortable. So when I see the club bending over backwards to attract a "higher class" of customer without giving a thought to the plight of a large percentage of the more 'ordinary' customers, I believe I am within reason in raising the point.

The main gist of my post was that it doesn't look good and doesn't exactly endear the club to the root support when they appear to put these schemes ahead of much needed improvements for the ordinary fan.

We could ask, what happened to the grandiose plans for a new stand or the redevelopment of the Williams? How much more decrepit does the Williams stand have to get before they do something about it?

OK - let me clarify a few points, as I believe some of my comments have been misconstrued.

First off, I have absolutely nothing against the Premier Club, per se, providing it brings in the sort of cash that their investment in it will demand.

What irks me is that, to paraphrase some other posters on this thread, we (being the "ordinary" fan) are supposed to be grateful for the facilities we do have because "you should see the facilities at other clubs". Well excuse me, but I couldn't give a tinker's cuss what happens at other clubs. Furthermore, I think you will find that City's ticketing tariff is at the top end of this league.

As a paying customer of a not insubstantial amount of money for the 'privilege' of watching Bristol City, I believe I have a right to expect a reasonable amount of comfort for my money.

I do not call a plank of plywood that is narrower than my shoulders reasonable or comfortable. So when I see the club bending over backwards to attract a "higher class" of customer without giving a thought to the plight of a large percentage of the more 'ordinary' customers, I believe I am within reason in raising the point.

The main gist of my post was that it doesn't look good and doesn't exactly endear the club to the root support when they appear to put these schemes ahead of much needed improvements for the ordinary fan.

We could ask, what happened to the grandiose plans for a new stand or the redevelopment of the Williams? How much more decrepit does the Williams stand have to get before they do something about it?

What I can't quite understand, SR, is that this plank of wood that is barely wider than your shoulders, and costs well over 300 quid a year, is bought by you every year out of choice. You choose to sit in that exact spot, on that exact plank of wood, in preference to all the other seats you could have in the stadium. Then you moan.

What I can't quite understand, SR, is that this plank of wood that is barely wider than your shoulders, and costs well over 300 quid a year, is bought by you every year out of choice. You choose to sit in that exact spot, on that exact plank of wood, in preference to all the other seats you could have in the stadium. Then you moan.

I don't know how much clearer I can make this. :dunno:

My 'moan', as you wish to call it (God help me for not having a valid reason to make a point!), is prompted by the decision to invest a lot of money into attracting corporate cash BEFORE they even have BASIC comforts updated in the SAME STAND.

Yes, I could go somewhere else to sit, but - if its all the same to you - I like to watch my football from the side at a reasonable height, so I guess I have a choice of... wooden seats in the Dolman or... erm... wooden seats in the Williams (?!). Since I prefer not to perform the "Dolman salute" on sunny days, I chose, for my sins, to sit in the Williams.

Now I may have been patient and put up with the poor seating in the hope that the stand would finally receive its long-needed upgrade had the decision not been made to place the new plush seating right in front of me and rub my nose in the fact.

Had the club announced that the Premier Club was just the first phase in a planned upgrade of the entire stand, I probably wouldn't have raised the original post at all. Once again, the PR and attitude seems to be all wrong.

As I said, I don't have a problem with the basic idea of Premier Club, I just wish the timing had been better thought out, attempting to do it in a stand that badly needs a facelift.

PS. The seat IS NOT barely wider than my shoulders, I said it was NARROWER than my shoulders.

Did you not read the part of my post pointing out that in fact there are considerable improvements being made as a direct result of the Premier Club investment?

The Red and White Bar is being completely upgraded and refurbished for the 'ordinary fans' with the money that the Premier Club provides, as CS explained in the interview. So far from putting these schemes '"ahead of much needed improvements for the ordinary fans", it is in fact these schemes which are paying for much-needed improvements for the 'ordinary' fans. :dunno:

• Admin

I don't know how much clearer I can make this. :dunno:

My 'moan', as you wish to call it (God help me for not having a valid reason to make a point!), is prompted by the decision to invest a lot of money into attracting corporate cash BEFORE they even have BASIC comforts updated in the SAME STAND.

Yes, I could go somewhere else to sit, but - if its all the same to you - I like to watch my football from the side at a reasonable height, so I guess I have a choice of... wooden seats in the Dolman or... erm... wooden seats in the Williams (?!). Since I prefer not to perform the "Dolman salute" on sunny days, I chose, for my sins, to sit in the Williams.

Now I may have been patient and put up with the poor seating in the hope that the stand would finally receive its long-needed upgrade had the decision not been made to place the new plush seating right in front of me and rub my nose in the fact.

Had the club announced that the Premier Club was just the first phase in a planned upgrade of the entire stand, I probably wouldn't have raised the original post at all. Once again, the PR and attitude seems to be all wrong.

As I said, I don't have a problem with the basic idea of Premier Club, I just wish the timing had been better thought out, attempting to do it in a stand that badly needs a facelift.

PS. The seat IS NOT barely wider than my shoulders, I said it was NARROWER than my shoulders.

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure I'd heard in one of the interviews from the Club that it was their aim to rid each stand of wooden seating over time?

Did you not read the part of my post pointing out that in fact there are considerable improvements being made as a direct result of the Premier Club investment?

The Red and White Bar is being completely upgraded and refurbished for the 'ordinary fans' with the money that the Premier Club provides, as CS explained in the interview. So far from putting these schemes '"ahead of much needed improvements for the ordinary fans", it is in fact these schemes which are paying for much-needed improvements for the 'ordinary' fans. :dunno:

Yes, I did. But I'm not convinced that those improvements are high priority right now.

I do not use the Red and White Bar and neither, I suspect, does 75% of the rest of the fans that attend regularly.

I reiterate - what I believe is desperately needed is to bring the stadium seating facilities up to scratch.

If the club perceives that the way to do that is the Premier Club and schemes like it - that's fine - but it must be seen as an part of an overall plan improve the seating for ALL fans.

For me, the club have made no such promises. Indeed, promises they have made have come to nothing, such as the new stand.

I may be wrong here, but I'm sure I'd heard in one of the interviews from the Club that it was their aim to rid each stand of wooden seating over time?

Laudable comments. But worthless when not qualified by a time constraint.

Firstly, you are moaning - and it's all you ever do if we're being honest here.

Secondly, the money raised from the Premier club is being used to fund the replacement of the wooden seats in the Dolman to plastic.

So, #### the 'Dolman salute' - wear a baseball cap and as an added bonus you won't have pillars blocking your view all game.

Common sense, simple common sense.

as a loss making enterprise the idea that the club should spend money on existing facilities which in all probability would only increase the losses is somewhat counter intuitive - investing in a project that will generate profits which can then be reinvested makes far more sense.

Firstly, you are moaning - and it's all you ever do if we're being honest here.

Secondly, the money raised from the Premier club is being used to fund the replacement of the wooden seats in the Dolman to plastic.

Actually the money raised from the Prawn Sandwich Club is not being used for this purpose.

To quote from Colin Sextone "This phase is eligible for grant aid from the Football Foundation ........ If the grant is made available we also hope to have phase four completed by the start of next season, or as soon as possible thereafter"

In other words income from the Premier Club is going to be used mainly for Premier Club members (and the revamped Dolman Hall) and the improvements to the seating in the Dolman Stand could have gone ahead without the Premier Club income.

I believe this time last year the East End Stand was also going to be built "as soon as possible"

Archived