IGNORED

Everything That Is Wrong With The Club

surreyred

Even more so,Ron.When you look at how well City are playing lately it makes you wonder just how much closer we would be to the play-offs if only......

Well thinking like that it works both ways. You could as validly say "What if we hadn't got rid of Bridges & Stewart" as you could say "Look what we have just acheived - why didn't this happen when we had Bridges & Stewart". We will never know what could have been.

Don't you ever wonder,as many of us do where City would be now if Bridges and Stewart had been given a chance?

I know it doesn't change anything but wondering about 'if only' is part of every football fans psyche.

Maybe ...... just maybe they had enough of a chance to prove that in our team they just were not going to be part of it this season or next...... GJ knows.... and some of us suspect?

Even more so,Ron.When you look at how well City are playing lately it makes you wonder just how much closer we would be to the play-offs if only......

... if only, certain senior players had been capable of setting a more professional example instead of rocking the boat with cheap (and inaccurate) jibes at their manager.

You've got to take it all in context, I've been very supportive of GJ and the massive improvements he's made to Orr, Woodman, Carey etc etc, as well as the all round fitness improvements. I'm supportive of the team ethic, over having prima donna superstars swanking around the place with little commitment and effort, but, I don't think that Bridges was of that ilk, I believe he just genuinely wanted a chance to relaunch his career.

The form he has shown since his move is bound to create discussion, if he'd have been struggling to get into Carlisle's side and hadn't scored more than an odd one or two, he wouldn't be such a hot topic. The fact that he has scored 13 goals and has been influential in their promotion push is bound to get City fans asking why he wasn't offered the run in the team he needed to get match fit. That isn't being disrespectful to those that have taken us to 10th in the league, have brought the enjoyment back to Saturday afternoons and a renewed hope for the future of BCFC.

I'd just like to hear an honest appraisal of the reason Bridges was transferred - not so I can castigate the decision, but to get an understanding of the reason. We've had the rumours of contract extension, homesick, Johnson's inability to manage big names etc, I'd just like the truth.

Perfect hindsight is a wonderful thing. Reactions on the forum when he did leave were "ah well.. hope it goes well". Nobody really cared, because Bridges didnt look anything but a once-talented footballer that had lost it. He scored one goal, and he never really looked like adding many to that. I wished him well.

Turns out he's turned his career around, and he's playing well. Fair play! In hindsight it was a mistake, but at the time i agreed with the manager and most of you lot did too. I also agreed with him when he took Gillespie, Partridge, Fortune, both Smiths and Stewart off the pay-roll (for a while at least) as well.

• Admin

Perfect hindsight is a wonderful thing. Reactions on the forum when he did leave were "ah well.. hope it goes well". Nobody really cared, because Bridges didnt look anything but a once-talented footballer that had lost it. He scored one goal, and he never really looked like adding many to that. I wished him well.

Turns out he's turned his career around, and he's playing well. Fair play! In hindsight it was a mistake, but at the time i agreed with the manager and most of you lot did too. I also agreed with him when he took Gillespie, Partridge, Fortune, both Smiths and Stewart off the pay-roll (for a while at least) as well.

Having seen him play in the reserves, my opinion of Bridges was different than that which you describe, he was obviously a class player and I was disappointed to see him go. That said, him leaving doesn't detract from the achievements of the players that are still here. Even with hindsight, letting him go might have been the right decision for all involved, but until we know why he was released, there will be speculation, especially if he continues scoring at the current rate.

I've not really commented on Stewart, as I haven't seen much to convince me he was worthy of the reported salary or a place in the team, perhaps he too would look better in a team pushing for promotion, rather than one that has spent the vast majority of the season struggling to get out of the relegation zone.

Having seen him play in the reserves, my opinion of Bridges was different than that which you describe, he was obviously a class player and I was disappointed to see him go. That said, him leaving doesn't detract from the achievements of the players that are still here. Even with hindsight, letting him go might have been the right decision for all involved, but until we know why he was released, there will be speculation, especially if he continues scoring at the current rate.

I've not really commented on Stewart, as I haven't seen much to convince me he was worthy of the reported salary or a place in the team, perhaps he too would look better in a team pushing for promotion, rather than one that has spent the vast majority of the season struggling to get out of the relegation zone.

fair enough - i did only see Bridges probably 5 times in all, plus a few subs.

mind you... i remember one exquisite turn, run, and chip against bournemouth away that either hit the bar or went just over. Nearly made a freezing cold maidenhead head leap up from his little deserted corner in the home end and reveal his allegiancet o the away team! If that had gone in, who knows...?

I think he was released because he got paid big money, he hadnt done anything for the first team of note, and the manager was told "you've got to reduce the wage bill or sell people if you want to bring in new faces". Nothing more sinister than that.

• Admin

I think he was released because he got paid big money, he hadnt done anything for the first team of note, and the manager was told "you've got to reduce the wage bill or sell people if you want to bring in new faces". Nothing more sinister than that.

Although I hear he was on approx half the money that Murray is - so I'm not sure how much money had to do with it.

Archived