IGNORED

Wilkshire May Sign

BCFC Grim

I think he'll sound out Championship clubs first then sign if they don't want him.

I'd like to see him stay and i think he wouldn't mind as long as he's playing and we're going up.

That said he came to go up and he may be sick of four years of failure.

I hope we offer him a reasonable contract in line with other first team players, no more, no less. Then whether he signs it will largely be down to how that compares with other offers he gets.

Either way, I doubt it will be sorted before the World Cup. If he has a good tournament he'd have more options and he's no doubt aware of that.

To be honest, if I was GJ my priority would be getting Brooker on a 4 year deal.

I think it's just paper talk to be honest, it is pretty widely known that Wilkshire is on very large wages and at the moment he's in the starting XI, so GJ is hardly going to say "well, I'm playing him at the moment but I've got so and so lined up to replace him in the summer, because I can't match his wages and he's off then" is he?

Someone posted on Rivals recently that a couple of Dutch teams were supposed to be interested in him, which in view of the fact his national boss (Guus Hiddink) is also coach for PSV Eindhoven and as Wilkshire's a technically excellent player whose style would suit that type of football, it may not be too far wide of the mark.

I hope Wilkshire re-signs for City.He's one of the very few real footballers City have.He can be inconsistant but so can all players.

The problem (apart from personal terms) might be Johnson's reluctance to re-sign a player who will miss around 10 games with International call-ups next season.Such a loss could be absorbed at a bigger club but down in divsion 1 thats not always the case.

I could understand it if Johnson did decide not to offer him a new deal.

Hiddink's leaving PSV in the summer. Very wide of the mark.

http://english.psv.nl/show?id=21372&contentid=11579

If you actually read what I said I didn't say that he would join PSV, as I think they are out of his league.

However if his international manager has contacts in a league where his style of football would suit it would be no shock to me if he ended up next season at a mid table Dutch side, NOT with the current champions.

which in view of the fact his national boss (Guus Hiddink) is also coach for PSV Eindhoven

That was the point i was making by saying Hiddink's leaving. As Hiddink isn't there what relevance does this bit of your point have? if your basing your idea on that Hiddink coached in holland so would see him more often then you would have been wrong.

Edit - Also because Hiddink is leaving Aus too then i'm not sure why the Hiddink link is relevant.

He has been a great player for us, no doubt, but he hasn't played enough this year. He has the ability to play at a higher level and get games every week, but he hasn't played much of a role in our good form. Granted goals against tranmere and brentford but little else in a losing side. He is better off leaving with his head held high, doing a good job here when required and maintaining his world cup chances. He is probably the most gifted footballer here, but so is Stewart, and neither have set this division alight. If he goes I will be sad but can only wish him the best, and ultimately understand GJs decision if he doesn't get a new contract.

I would like to keep him, here, but I doubt he'll accept the offer he'll get. and yes he has been inconsistent, but so has virtually everyone else. I reckon, he'd be a valuable player next season, and assuming we FINALLY manage promotion, be a positive asset in the Championship- the sort of player we'd need.

suspect others wont agree though.

I hope Wilkshire re-signs for City.He's one of the very few real footballers City have.He can be inconsistant but so can all players.

The problem (apart from personal terms) might be Johnson's reluctance to re-sign a player who will miss around 10 games with International call-ups next season.Such a loss could be absorbed at a bigger club but down in divsion 1 thats not always the case.

I'm not sure the loss of overseas players is that much easier for a 'bigger club', I remember there being a right old stink amongst some of the teams in the premiership when the african nations was on at the beginning of the year.

And considering we have won quite a lot of games when he was away, I think we can 'absorb' the loss quite easily!

I believe he will be offered a deal which is a lot less than what he is on now. We hold the cards and will be his fallback should he not get a better offer.

I hope we offer him a reasonable contract in line with other first team players, no more, no less. Then whether he signs it will largely be down to how that compares with other offers he gets.

Either way, I doubt it will be sorted before the World Cup. If he has a good tournament he'd have more options and he's no doubt aware of that.

To be honest, if I was GJ my priority would be getting Brooker on a 4 year deal.

Agree with all of the above. I do think that if we are to make the promised land 'The Championship' Luke would quickly become one of the first names on the team sheet

On his World Cup ambitions, is he likely to get a game? I don't know much about the Socerroos and where he is in the pecking order, so it might not work out to be the advertising stage that it could be if he were a first 11 player.

I would like to keep him, here, but I doubt he'll accept the offer he'll get. and yes he has been inconsistent, but so has virtually everyone else. I reckon, he'd be a valuable player next season, and assuming we FINALLY manage promotion, be a positive asset in the Championship- the sort of player we'd need.

suspect others wont agree though.

Disagree with Bucksred........... no way!

The problem could be the other way round. Johnson has already shown that his policy is to keep a winning formula where possible, so if Wilkshire is away and we win a couple he may not see 1st team football again for a while. That's already happened to him this season and although he has been more professional about it than most, he may feel he can't afford to take chances on that happening again.

If he can find a club that would give him more of a guarantee of 1st team football, I think he will go there.

If you actually read what I said I didn't say that he would join PSV, as I think they are out of his league.

However if his international manager has contacts in a league where his style of football would suit it would be no shock to me if he ended up next season at a mid table Dutch side, NOT with the current champions.

Signing for FC Twente, so this wasn't so far wide of the mark after all, was it?

That's spooky. Twente finished 9th out of 18 last season in Eredivisie. Can't get much more mid-table than that! They even finished level on points with 10th...so they weren't even really top half! Right bang in the middle of the division. Special.

Yep.

Though the Dutch Eredivisie last year brought in a playoff system where I think 6th to 9 or something like that play off for a European spot.

Twente were then officially ranked 7th after these playoffs.

Which in turn qualified them for the intertoto cup.

They recently beat a side called Kalmar in the intertoto playoff to qualify for the UEFA Cup Second Round.

Which means that, if he signs for them, Luke will now be playing in the UEFA Cup.

Well done to him. Ashton Gate to the UEFA Cup, great effort mate!!

The English is great mate. Much better than mine infact which is quite annoying!

Anyway, Luke is defently not a striker so don't know where they got that from and he is nothing like Bosvelt, defently not a fighter, in fact that was one of his worst aspects as he could not really do anything to help out the back four.

However he is very creative and his passing at times is outstanding, as someone who has watched quite a bit of Dutch football on C5 I reckon he will be a decent signing for you but not someone who is going to set you're world on fire.

Good luck Luke.

I was relieved to see him go.

A bad signing for you in my opinion. He can chip in with the odd goal, but is very lightweight, shies away from tackles and will go missing due to international call-ups.

Those who say that he is 'too good' for us are ignoring the truth, which is that he never proved himself, even at City's level. And he was shite at the World Cup.

I was relieved to see him go.

A bad signing for you in my opinion. He can chip in with the odd goal, but is very lightweight, shies away from tackles and will go missing due to international call-ups.

Those who say that he is 'too good' for us are ignoring the truth, which is that he never proved himself, even at City's level. And he was shite at the World Cup.

That's my take on things too.

EXACTLY how I see it infact.

It will be interesting to see which side is right regarding this matter.

Archived