IGNORED

Testimonials

wookey

Yes.

don't hold back on th details Dagest! :blink:

But I would have to agree, with the amont players get paid today (without starting a "They are extremly overpaid" debate! :ph34r: ) I think it would be far more benificial to have more charity testimonials. The fans seem to be keep to help with the fund raising for the fans derby, I don't see why a testimonial would be any different. :dunno: xxx

Guest MaloneFM

Much as you admire a player it's a talent they have and a damn good job. With lots of sweeties every week. Do I get a testimonial as a broadcasting legend? I rather think not. Just the usual panto at christmas.

Oh no I DON'T...come on boys and girls....

Guest MaloneFM

NO NO NO....its oh yes you DO! With clarity love..and diction...try to hit the back of the theeatah. THIS much talent. Honestly.

NEXT!

There was a thread about wages the other week and I think I saw the average 4th tear annual wage at something like 35K. Not to be sniffed at I know but if you're retiring at something like 35 and don't get a job in Football, have no qualification's or proper work experiance and pretty much no idea about life in the real world, what ya going to do?

Player's in the top three flight's esp. in City's league need to be shrewed and prudent with their money but a lot just don't have the basic knowhow and are very much living the dream with little regard for what await's them 20 years down the line.

There was an Alan Hansen documentary about retired player's last year and it really isn't as plain sailing for them as one might assume.

Take Football suddenly out of their lives and they have a large hole to fill.

There was a thread about wages the other week and I think I saw the average 4th tear annual wage at something like 35K. Not to be sniffed at I know but if you're retiring at something like 35 and don't get a job in Football, have no qualification's or proper work experiance and pretty much no idea about life in the real world, what ya going to do?

Player's in the top three flight's esp. in City's league need to be shrewed and prudent with their money but a lot just don't have the basic knowhow and are very much living the dream with little regard for what await's them 20 years down the line.

There was an Alan Hansen documentary about retired player's last year and it really isn't as plain sailing for them as one might assume.

Take Football suddenly out of their lives and they have a large hole to fill.

Poor things.....When their football careers are over its a case of 'get a job' just like everyone else.

Poor things.....When their football careers are over its a case of 'get a job' just like everyone else.

This is true.

What the documenatary was claiming with the like's of Les Ferdinand and Neil Ruddock as case studies was that they've been so moddy coddled for the first 19 years of their adult life that emotionally they may as well be 16.

Professional Football is like a blissfull drug and to have it suddenly withdrawn a large quantity of them esp. at the dimmer end of the IQ scale struggle. Neil Ruddock didn't even know how to book a dental appointment etc.

It's not so much the money for the real star's (so I'm not endorsing testimonials) I'm just saying it's not as simple or easy as it may at first appear.

The Club's are becoming more socially responsible for the problem I believe although obviously it's the welfare of the Club and not the individual that is the priorety.

Don't forget their full pension payable from their late thirties

I liked the old idea of a testimonial, back when players really weren't paid well and had to have off-season jobs and were "normal" people. But for people like SP, who is no where near the end of his career it is riduclace if it isn't 100% for charity.

Exceptions should be made for example if Amankwaah hadn't recovered from his broken neck/car crash and had to retire: I'd fully support that. Didn't rovers do something like that for (what was his name?) Jamie Curteon a couple seasons ago: even if that was on the field injuries. If some bloke played 10-15 seasons for W-S-M in conference south (or where ever they play these days) I'd have no issue with it. In these cases I think testimonials are a good idea and a worthwhile venture to support.

At least in Tinman's case he was at the end of his career had bled red and was city through and through. But giving SP one is ludicrious.

They'll probably give Murray and Carey one in the future (even if they said they wouldn't when Carey came back). I hope that if they do it is all for Charity.

I know Scottie won me over with his charity work for Weston Hospice, who was incredible with my mother in her last few months. If he choose them as a charity for his testimonial I'd be fully in favor of it (actually anyone who chooses a real charity and works for the testimonial and gives 100% of it to them has my admiration).

SP further irritated me with the giving 10% of it away, why not just steal my money and say "oh, I'll tithe 10% of it"

I'm all for testimonials being given to long serving players as a reward to them for their loyalty, but i don't agree that it should be a pocket filler for them.

All money should be given to charity....The pride of having a testimonial should be a good enough reward for them whilst also helping out those who arent as fortunate as themselves.

As I understand it is normal for a club to grant a player a testimonial after a period of long service. In SP's case it was actually written into his current contract when he renewed that he would be granted a testimonial at the 10 year point.

I am sure part of the problem with GJ and SP is over his testimonial. SP's really thought he would be playing and getting the publicity for his testimonial and then GJ comes on board and decides to mix things up a bit. SP sees his testimonial year becoming a disaster and the two are destined never to get on.

Archived