IGNORED

April 20th. 1976

KevinC

As I write I am casting an eye over an Evening Post pullout with the banner headline "Division One here we come". Beneath the headline is a photograph of Harry Dolman (chairman) and Alan Dicks (manager), with Gary Collier and Paul Cheesley nearby.

On 20th. April thirty years ago Bristol City were promoted to the top flight after an absence of 65 years. Mark Tovey has written a summary of what happened that night, I remember it being a humid evening at Ashton Gate, with City needing a win against already relegated Portsmouth, managed by Ian St. John.

Clive Whitehead scored in the third minute in front of the open end (now the Atyeo Stand), but it was a nerve jangling 87 minutes to follow, especially in the second half when Geoff Merrick's sliced clearance nearly ended up in his own net.

27,000 fans went bananas when the final whistle blew, there was a huge pitch invasion and City management and players took their bow in the directors' box. Alan Dicks ended up fully clothed in the players' bath, and the sports pages headlines in the next day's Sun read "Splash! Bristol jump back".

The two games before the Pompy game had seen City at home to Chelsea, drawing 2-2 in front of 26,000, and most surprisingly a 0-0 draw at Eastville aginst the Rovers, watched by a now unbelievable 26,400!

What are your memories of that evening? Would be good for our younger forum members to realise that once upon a time we were promoted while Bolton, Charlton, Blackburn, Chelsea, Fulham, Sunderland, West Brom and Portsmouth all had points taken off them by City in that wonderful promotion year.

What are your memories of that evening? Would be good for our younger forum members to realise that once upon a time we were promoted while Bolton, Charlton, Blackburn, Chelsea, Fulham, Sunderland, West Brom and Portsmouth all had points taken off them by City in that wonderful promotion year.

Nice one RK.

It was a very special night, although my memory is patchy, as I was only 8 at the time.

Luckily, the legendary Arny helped me out. :laugh:

It was a great night.I was in the junior section under the Dolman stand and I am glad to say was part of the pitch invasion at the end.I managed to pick up a piece of turf from the pitch which I still have today.

I had watched us gradually improve with a young side brought together by Dicks and most importantly given the TIME to mature and foster a great team spirit.

How many managers in this day and age would have the time that the legendary Dicks had to build that great side.

It was a great night.I was in the junior section under the Dolman stand and I am glad to say was part of the pitch invasion at the end.I managed to pick up a piece of turf from the pitch which I still have today.

I had watched us gradually improve with a young side brought together by Dicks and most importantly given the TIME to mature and foster a great team spirit.

How many managers in this day and age would have the time that the legendary Dicks had to build that great side.

We've just added 2 images of that famous pitch invasion for your enjoyment.

I regret I was in work that night, so listened to the radio. Some of my mates who went were still queing to get in when the goal was scored.

For the final game that Saturday I wore a long coat despite the heat as I had a bottle of champagne in the pocket. (Yes you youngsters we weren't searched and the bottle was not confiscated for being glass or a potential offensive weapon). When the final whistle went I opened the bottle on the open end and we started drinking the champers; we never found the cork so if it's still embedded in your skull please treasure it. Such was the party atmosphere I offered the bottle to two of the coppers and they refused at first, then had a swig.

As I write I am casting an eye over an Evening Post pullout with the banner headline "Division One here we come". Beneath the headline is a photograph of Harry Dolman (chairman) and Alan Dicks (manager), with Gary Collier and Paul Cheesley nearby.

The Evening Post pullout for April 2008 may, hopefully, show Steve Lansdown (chairman) and Gary Johnson (manager) under the headline "Premiership here we come". :laugh: At long last it looks as if a chairman of BCFC has chosen a manager capable of returning top flight football to Ashton Gate. :w00t:

Up the City

The Evening Post pullout for April 2008 may, hopefully, show Steve Lansdown (chairman) and Gary Johnson (manager) under the headline "Premiership here we come". :laugh: At long last it looks as if a chairman of BCFC has chosen a manager capable of returning top flight football to Ashton Gate. :w00t:

Up the City

2 Bot,s wine 2nite Mr Goblin? 2008...............................never

2 Bot,s wine 2nite Mr Goblin? 2008...............................never

Looking at Gary Johnson's record at Yeovil Town and how he's turned this club around within a 6 month period I just may be right. :dance: For once I can honestly write that my head is ruling my heart with regard to our promotion chances next season. :whistle: Gary Johnson - he's the man !!!!!!!

Up the City

Looking at Gary Johnson's record at Yeovil Town and how he's turned this club around within a 6 month period I just may be right. :dance: For once I can honestly write that my head is ruling my heart with regard to our promotion chances next season. :whistle: Gary Johnson - he's the man !!!!!!!

Up the City

Fair play mate, and at this late hour can i just say what a great poster you are, very funny at times or straight to the point, I'm still not convinced about the whole thing at the gate with Gary J, but thats probably me.

Please prove me wrong........................City is life

Fair play mate, and at this late hour can i just say what a great poster you are, very funny at times or straight to the point, I'm still not convinced about the whole thing at the gate with Gary J, but thats probably me.

Please prove me wrong........................City is life

:blush: I just love flattery. :)

Gary Johnson has already proved many a forum poster wrong. Personally, I was won over by Gary Johnson at a very early stage of his tenure - it's now the BCFC manager in charge at BCFC and not a clique of players. Gary Johnson has provided the managerial leadership that's been missing at BCFC for years. :shifty:

Gary Johnson can liberate Bristol City from this poxy division just as Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell did liberate Bristol from the royalist tyranny. :w00t:

Up the City

:blush: I just love flattery. :)

Gary Johnson has already proved many a forum poster wrong. Personally, I was won over by Gary Johnson at a very early stage of his tenure - it's now the BCFC manager in charge at BCFC and not a clique of players. Gary Johnson has provided the managerial leadership that's been missing at BCFC for years. :shifty:

Gary Johnson can liberate Bristol City from this poxy division just as Sir Thomas Fairfax and Oliver Cromwell did liberate Bristol from the royalist tyranny. :w00t:

Up the City

Here f........................... here

Here f........................... here

Think of this club as a coiled spring with the massive tension of supporter expectation behind it - if Gary Johnson can unleash the full potential of that spring then we'll be propelled to the Premiership in an instant - well, 2 seasons. :whistle:

Up the City !!!!!!

I remember the game after Arsenal our first home game in the top division for sixty odd years.

I remember Paul Cheesley going up with Peter Shilton and then not getting up from the floor.

Where would we be now if Cheesley had not made that challenge and had played out his career without it being so cruelly cut short.

It was my 17th Birthday! I drove a car for the first time (the "Keep Death off the Roads" Campaign failed) and then City got promoted - the best day of my life - well, I have three kids so it will have to be in tthe top 5)

I remember the game after Arsenal our first home game in the top division for sixty odd years.

I remember Paul Cheesley going up with Peter Shilton and then not getting up from the floor.

Where would we be now if Cheesley had not made that challenge and had played out his career without it being so cruelly cut short.

Yes, that home game against Stoke seems such a long time ago now. Cheesley's challege for the high ball with Shilton seemed so harmless, and yet having limped off he played just one more game later that season, and that was it for him.

Cheesley's goals helped City into the first division, and I am sure that, had he been fit, Cheesley would have played at the very highest level over a number of years.

That night v Stoke we were 1 up, thanks to a crap back pass by a Stoke defender which went straight to the feet of Donnie Gillies. Just seven minutes from time they equalised, and I remember thinking that it was going to be one long, hard season. And so it was, ending with a bizarre game at Coventry........

............. but that's a subject for conversation next year, 30 years on!!!

Yes, that home game against Stoke seems such a long time ago now. Cheesley's challege for the high ball with Shilton seemed so harmless, and yet having limped off he played just one more game later that season, and that was it for him.

Cheesley's goals helped City into the first division, and I am sure that, had he been fit, Cheesley would have played at the very highest level over a number of years.

That night v Stoke we were 1 up, thanks to a crap back pass by a Stoke defender which went straight to the feet of Donnie Gillies. Just seven minutes from time they equalised, and I remember thinking that it was going to be one long, hard season. And so it was, ending with a bizarre game at Coventry........

............. but that's a subject for conversation next year, 30 years on!!!

I remeber our relegation season, I was away at Uni and couldn't get back for many games. I saw the Liverpool game by getting a ticket in the Scouse end (the other three sides of the ground were sold out!!). Liverpool took the lead, it was obvious we were going to lose and going to go down and the crowd starting singing "Dicks out". It took the scousers a litle while to cotton on to this but when they did they joined in the song with gusto, feeling it was very funny. Regrettably, rather a few of them near me did as the song appeared to instruct, not the finest moment in my life

I wasn't there sadly, being about 6 years before my birth, but I have spoken to Tom Ritchie a fair bit recently and it is wicked listening to some of the stories he has from back then.

The thing that really shines through listening to him is that there was a great "all for one" spirit in the dressing room with that side that he certainly missed when he left for a spell. He was delighted to come back to Bristol - or as he put it, to "come home"!

Are we building that same atmosphere around the club now? It seems like maybe we are?....

I wasn't there sadly, being about 6 years before my birth, but I have spoken to Tom Ritchie a fair bit recently and it is wicked listening to some of the stories he has from back then.

The thing that really shines through listening to him is that there was a great "all for one" spirit in the dressing room with that side that he certainly missed when he left for a spell. He was delighted to come back to Bristol - or as he put it, to "come home"!

Are we building that same atmosphere around the club now? It seems like maybe we are?....

I really hope that's the case. It was a fantastic time to be a City supporter, we took it for granted that we'd be playing Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Manchester Utd., and at one time expected to beat them! Did the double over Arsenal and Spurs in our first season, and in other seasons in the top flight got results at Manchester Utd ( a Kevin Mabbutt hattrick, no less) and beat Liverpool too.

Now we get our kicks by turning over Walsall!!!!!! Not that I'm complaining though

I really hope that's the case. It was a fantastic time to be a City supporter, we took it for granted that we'd be playing Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Manchester Utd., and at one time expected to beat them! Did the double over Arsenal and Spurs in our first season, and in other seasons in the top flight got results at Manchester Utd ( a Kevin Mabbutt hattrick, no less) and beat Liverpool too.

Now we get our kicks by turning over Walsall!!!!!! Not that I'm complaining though

I was there on the Mabbutt hatrick night, unbelivable, the Utd crowd were awsome but when the 3rd went in the famous Old Trafford was echoing with the song "drink up thee cider drink up thee cider".

Still makes my hairs go on end just thinking about it

On 20th. April thirty years ago Bristol City were promoted to the top flight after an absence of 65 years. Mark Tovey has written a summary of what happened that night, I remember it being a humid evening at Ashton Gate, with City needing a win against already relegated Portsmouth, managed by Ian St. John.

Clive Whitehead scored in the third minute in front of the open end (now the Atyeo Stand), but it was a nerve jangling 87 minutes to follow, especially in the second half when Geoff Merrick's sliced clearance nearly ended up in his own net.

27,000 fans went bananas when the final whistle blew, there was a huge pitch invasion and City management and players took their bow in the directors' box. Alan Dicks ended up fully clothed in the players' bath, and the sports pages headlines in the next day's Sun read "Splash! Bristol jump back".

The two games before the Pompy game had seen City at home to Chelsea, drawing 2-2 in front of 26,000, and most surprisingly a 0-0 draw at Eastville aginst the Rovers, watched by a now unbelievable 26,400!

I missed one game that season, that was away to Sunderland on a tuesday night, we drew 1-1 i think that was a Ritchie goal. But that night at the gate was just something else, after Whiteheads goal it was crazy the atmosphere was three times better than the last playoff game against Hartlepool. After the celebrations at the gate, the city centre was shut for a while after the fans had a sing and dance all over the green and the road. Older but not senile

Remember Norman bite your legs Hunter scoring against Leeds at the east end end, we had a corner and he was on the edge of the box pretending to tie his boot laces, i can't remember who took the corner but norm called for the ball and as soon as the ball reached him he jumped up and planted a left footer into the bottom corner.

My mate picked up the ball and smuggled it out, we fought like hell to get it off him but he held out. Kicked it around the centre for a while then hit the pubs. I still see the same faces around the ground, most away games too. Evening Post put out a reward for return of the ball, we begged him to keep it, no he wanted the money. Our beloved club splashed out big style. Two tickets for the Gloucester cup. My mate Peter is a bus driver in Cairns now, I'm hoping to remind him over a beer during the ashes tour in November.

I was in the East End that night and ran on the pitch at the end, I was 15 years old,

Whilst the celebrations were going on myself and quite e few others stood on top the

dugouts to get a better view, the dugouts were not perspex like they are now, I think

it was some form of roofing sheet, anyway it caved in and we all found ourselves in the dug out.

Will I celebrate reaching football's top flight again in my lifetime???????????????????????

I was in the East End that night and ran on the pitch at the end, I was 15 years old,

Whilst the celebrations were going on myself and quite e few others stood on top the

dugouts to get a better view, the dugouts were not perspex like they are now, I think

it was some form of roofing sheet, anyway it caved in and we all found ourselves in the dug out.

Will I celebrate reaching football's top flight again in my lifetime???????????????????????

I was there too!!

Over the years the City have given me (& us) some of the most amazing experiences. Sometimes i cant remeber what happend last week but 20th April 1976, sometimes seems like light years ago and others it seems like yesterday.

Right now it seems like yesterday. Watching from the East End as Clive Whiteheads shot hit the back of the net and the feeling of complete disablief is still there. The feeling at the final whistle of "what should we do now?" is still there. But that feeling after climbing the barriers and running on the pitch towards the centre circle and realising we had really made it....................... never experienced it since.

One day, just one day!!

I missed one game that season, that was away to Sunderland on a tuesday night, we drew 1-1 i think that was a Ritchie goal. But that night at the gate was just something else, after Whiteheads goal it was crazy the atmosphere was three times better than the last playoff game against Hartlepool. After the celebrations at the gate, the city centre was shut for a while after the fans had a sing and dance all over the green and the road. Older but not senile

The Sunderland game had been postponed (I think) earlier in the season, and was played on Tuesday March 23rd - I have the programme in front of me.

Gerry Sweeney hit the City goal in the 46th. minute, a volley from the edge of the penalty area, and Bobby Kerr (who was captain when Sunderland won the FA Cup in 1973) equalised with minutes to go.

The City team: Cashley, Sweeney, Drysdale, Gow, Collier, Merrick, Tainton, Ritchie, Gillies, Cheesley, Whitehead.

City chartered a Dan Air plane to take 108 City fans to the game. We flew to Newcastle, had a meal and a match ticket for £25 all in!

Archived