IGNORED

April 20th. 1976

KevinC

It's staggering that it was 30 bloody years ago, only feels half that.

I remember arriving about 5.30p.m. to go into the supporters club, to soak up the atmosphere as normal with a couple of mates, and actualy being chased into it, by about 10 Pompey fans, who were lurking by the old floodlight !

Ahh.... those were the days.

What a night, legging it out of the East End and on the pitch at the end, of a game that seemed to go on for ever, and to be honest, I can only remember Clives goal, so early in the match.

I seem to remember didn't we play Notts Co on the Saturday and lose 3-1 or something ?

The players were still drunk after two to three days on the razz !

Marvellous memories........next please class of 06/07.

It's staggering that it was 30 bloody years ago, only feels half that.

I remember arriving about 5.30p.m. to go into the supporters club, to soak up the atmosphere as normal with a couple of mates, and actualy being chased into it, by about 10 Pompey fans, who were lurking by the old floodlight !

Ahh.... those were the days.

What a night, legging it out of the East End and on the pitch at the end, of a game that seemed to go on for ever, and to be honest, I can only remember Clives goal, so early in the match.

I seem to remember didn't we play Notts Co on the Saturday and lose 3-1 or something ?

The players were still drunk after two to three days on the razz !

Marvellous memories........next please class of 06/07.

It was 2-1, Clive Whitehead scoring again. Dreadful display though, the City players all looked p##### to me!

Great days I remember having to get the bus from Patchway for home games on the CATS coach for away games they were good days I have supported City all my life and i still get a buzz every saturday and my prized possession is my promoted to div 1 beer

I was too young to really remember it, but I certainly remember City being a First Division club. Every other Saturday there was a real buzz going on. It seemed like half of my street went to Ashton Gate on a Saturday. My old man would stick One For The Bristol City on the record player, and it wasn't long to wait to see the results on Grandstand and I remember seeing the name Bristol City in the top 5 of the highest league in the country, and I simply took it for granted.

What an achievement that was the first season City were up. They were dead and buried, and then somehow managed to get results against Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester United, and then there was the controversial game at Coventry. You couldn't script an escape like that, and it would be hard to find a greater escape than City's.

I am so fortunate to have seen City in their prime. We didn't set the world on fire but we went up and stayed there for 4 seasons, and it was magical.

I doubt I will ever see it again in my lifetime.

It was a huge blow when Cheese got injured, but as a result he will forever be a legend.

The game at Eastville on Good Friday was dire, 0-0 and both clubs lucky to get nil. It felt like a home game, probably 20000 of the 26400 were red.

City had the enviable position of playing the last three games in Bristol.

The Pompey game was like the whole season really, we battered them and scored just one goal! We seemed to be the sort of team who would either score goals for fun or win 1-0.

Best opposition side I saw at the Gate that year was Forest, and they came up the next year. I think we only lost twice at home, both 2-1 and to both Nottingham teams.

Happy days.

I was there and the main memory is of the celebrations after the match. The match itself wasn't anything otsdtanding, the players were so nervous. Whitehead got the early goal then we just tried to hold onto our lead. But there were some great games that season, a 1-0 win away at the Hawthorns where WBA were also in the promotion race, our goal led a charmed life at times but we came away with the points, also remember going to York where we won 4-1, I think Cheese got a hat-trick that day. And near the end a 1-1 draw at Sunderland who were top at the time, a 20-yard screamer from Gerry Sweeney!

I saw Alan Dicks recently at the celebration of our FA Cup win over Leeds 40 years ago, he's 80 now but his mind as sharp as ever. Those were great days.

Ah THAT Pompey game? My first ever night match as I was only lickle.

I remember my dear old dad charging up the stairs at home and I thought I had done something wrong when he dragged me down the stairs saying 'you have to see this son'. An hour later I'm stood on my metal stool (imagine trying to take that in nowadays) by a barrier in the old enclosure next to the tunnel.

My lasting memory is of how happy my dad and uncle Joe were TBH, I was just too young to understand but have thanked my old man many times for taking me to the Gate that night (and all over the country for years afterwards).

My only problem with those halcyon days are that they will probably be the best I ever see as a City supporter and happened to be my earliest.

I was in the East End that night and ran on the pitch at the end, I was 15 years old,

Whilst the celebrations were going on myself and quite e few others stood on top the

dugouts to get a better view, the dugouts were not perspex like they are now, I think

it was some form of roofing sheet, anyway it caved in and we all found ourselves in the dug out.

Will I celebrate reaching football's top flight again in my lifetime???????????????????????

Ran on the pitch young man? Lifetime ban!

"The two games before the Pompy game had seen City at home to Chelsea, drawing 2-2 in front of 26,000, and most surprisingly a 0-0 draw at Eastville aginst the Rovers, watched by a now unbelievable 26,400!"

I think our official allocation for the Rovers match at Eastville was 6,000 (on the open end terrace, unbelievable today) but we must have had twice that in the ground (including plenty in the Tote!)

Archived