IGNORED

Smokin Banned At Ag Next Season

Mrdc

I know numerous fans that wont renew season tickets next season on the back of this. Another good bit of PR work by the club.

Thats rubbish Kev. They will soon be back, if they ever stop coming at all. You go on holiday anywhere and see the number of people smoking. They managed to go a few hours on the plane and around the airports without smoking, and it will be the same with football.

IThere's no reason you should have to sit next to a smoker

what if you have a season ticket and a non season ticket holder sits behind, infront or next to you each week?.............should I the season ticket holder move incase a smoker comes and sits next to me?

NO!

glad they have banned to it be honest, yes, it will be good because I won't get home each stinking of sh::t!, but more importantly I won't now have to spend each week coughing my guts up because of other people digusting habits!

Between the smoking ban, season tickets price freeze and the new kit! GREAT DAY TODAY!

Thats rubbish Kev. They will soon be back, if they ever stop coming at all. You go on holiday anywhere and see the number of people smoking. They managed to go a few hours on the plane and around the airports without smoking, and it will be the same with football.

oh and they will no doubt stop going to pubs before the game as they can't smoke!...........yeah right!

Now I'm a smoker and although this is hardly welcome news, its not unexpected. I would happily not smoke at the ground if it stops under age people to smoke , and I think thats what the whole non-smoking situation is about (not just AG, the banning of smoking in public places as a whole).

Smoking IS a disgusting habit, but I do agree with Nibor on the facts that it really isnt about health issues if you're sat in an open air stadium.

Typical of Citys PR "Machine"

Equally typical reaction of the more "enthusiastic anti smokers" too.

Trouble is, where were you all, when the club was in the basement?

Where were you a coupla years back when gates dropped to 6000 ish.

I'm sick to the back teeth of your arguements. I don't smoke, but what the HELL is wrong with giving more space to the smokers??? There are probably a higher percentage who go to football, than to the Tapas bars, etc, which sooooooo many of you frequent. And while I accept your arguements about the smell, but somehow, I don't buy the passive smokin bit during a cold blustery October or February game, its not exactly enclosed is it?

And how long before those in the blocks next door to the smokin areas kick off moanin about it.

Give the numerous smokers the space till the official smoking ban comes in.

Be alcohol next, now Smokin is banned...health warnings on cans/bottles coming. We'll be discussing alcohol like this in twenty years..............

what if you have a season ticket and a non season ticket holder sits behind, infront or next to you each week?.............should I the season ticket holder move incase a smoker comes and sits next to me?

Why would you get a season ticket in a smoking section?

I'm not against having seperate sections - that's what I meant by offering a choice. I just see no need for smokers to be packed into one or two blocks at the end of the stand when there's so much room.

There's also plenty of non smokers who would rather sit with their friends even if they do smoke.

What is so hard to understand about this?

Why would you get a season ticket in a smoking section?

I'm not against having seperate sections - that's what I meant by offering a choice. I just see no need for smokers to be packed into one or two blocks at the end of the stand when there's so much room.

There's also plenty of non smokers who would rather sit with their friends even if they do smoke.

What is so hard to understand about this?

I wouldn't, you point was there is no reason why a non-smoker has to sit by a smoker, for which I explained,

all very well saying there is soo much room?......but what about big matches? or if we get a sell out? should plans then have to be changed to accomodate smokers? this way everyone knows where they stand.

fair enough some non-smokers may want to sit with friends who smoke in which case sit with them, there is nothing stopping them.

Trouble is, where were you all, when the club was in the basement?

Where were you a coupla years back when gates dropped to 6000 ish.

what has that got to do with anything?............was it only people that smoked who turned up then? and when the gates were at 6k?.........was it f....k

personally back in 82 I was 5.

• Admin

I was speaking to someone recently about the smoking ban in pubs in Ireland. Apparantely its been a huge success and people tend to go outside for a cigarettere if they get the urge when in a pub or restaurant. A good place to meet and chat so as I was told. I'm not sure what the percentage of people that go to football smoke to non smoking but with the government clamping down on smoking it wasnt really a suprise was it?

Will the club allow those of us who remain in the Atyeo to "pop outside" for a ciggie at half time as they have banned it completely from that stand?

At the game on Monday i had 3 part timers sat by me and all they did throughout the whole of the game was blow smoke in my face, it got to the point where after asking them politely that it was necessary to become aggressive which appeared to work. The ban will work two fold in this case, 1 - i get to watch the game in relative comfort and my clothes will not smell of fags, 2- less people will visit the local casualty department for forcing anti social behaviour upon myself. Well done BCFC for seeing sense on this issue.

P.S. Now that we have a ban on smoking, can we also ban those frigging pidgeons in the Atyeo.

• Admin

Hi, haven't posted for a long while.

While a smoking ban may discourage a proportion of fans from attending, it will have the reverse effect for others. My girlfriend and I abhor cigarette smoke to the point where it became the sole reason we will not currently attend football grounds (before you ask, yes, this also applies to public houses). We did attend one game at the Gate this season, at home to Walsall but it was spoiled by the adolescents next to us, behind us and two rows in front all chain-smoking their way through the game.

I am not advocating a total ban, that is too radical and hurried a move, however I do agree smoking and non-smoking sections would at least afford supporters a choice, one which my girlfriend and I (along with many others, I guess) would very much appreciate.

Scott.

I trust you will now be buying a season ticket each for next season to replace those smokers who feel their addiction doesn't allow them to go 2-3 hours without a ciggie in an often tense situation.

Will the club allow those of us who remain in the Atyeo to "pop outside" for a ciggie at half time as they have banned it completely from that stand?

Good point why have they not a smoking area on the end of the ayteo thats nearest the Dolman Stand? Seems a bit mean that the ayteo hasnt been included in this? If they are going to allow smoking in parts of the Williams and Dolman surely they cant sound out the ayteo?

Good point why have they not a smoking area on the end of the ayteo thats nearest the Dolman Stand? Seems a bit mean that the ayteo hasnt been included in this? If they are going to allow smoking in parts of the Williams and Dolman surely they cant sound out the ayteo?

in fairness, that I can't understand, unless they just want to move people to the dolman or williams stand which means.......money, money, money!

• Admin

I am assuming that this was discussed at the recent FCF meeting and this was an amicable conclusion to the ban. At least people have the freedom of moving seats rather than a total ban? Is it that awful that people cant wait for 90 minutes to have a cigarette? What happens when people go on aeroplanes they cant smoke there?

a) It's not 90 minutes (unless you're a major early leaver). For a normal game I would probably enter the ground around 2.30 leaving at around 4.50. That's 140 minutes. If it's a cup game with extra time it could be longer.

b) It's an addiction that is exaggerated by stressful situations. A lot of the time, watching City is a little stressful ;)

c) On aeroplanes I sleep, I don't want to sleep at Ashton Gate.

I'm not particularly bothered about not being able to smoke in my seat, I just wanted to know there was somewhere I could go at half time to have a ciggie. If stewards are to let fans who want a ciggie out the back of the Atyeo at half time (as they do with those wanting a KFC in the Williams!) then I'll have no problem.

And some have not, some have even had a vote by their supporters on the subject, i am not suprised that BCFC have not done this, consultation and consent is too much to ask for from this lot.

I had a look on a few sites and Wolves fans voted 70/30 for a smoking ban. Derby have smoking zones as do Aston Villa. Coventry installed a complete ban when their new stadium opened in August last year. I'm sure this is a sign of the times now in sports grounds.

On monday I left my seat at half time and stood on the steps have a smoke. I thought by doing this I was being courtious to non-smokers. Now it seems that even this will not be tolerated.

Pretty sure Dolman A block will start selling out very quickly next year. Smokers WILL have a choice but a very limited one. Not all fans there will be smokers either...it will be the more rational non-smokers that want to sit with their mates.

I agree that somthing had to be done to try and accomodate all but this has been badly managed and most certainly doesnt accomodate all.

Thats very sad.Are the same 'fans' going to stop visiting pubs and bars when the smoking ban comes in next summer as well?

The football club is just moving with the times thats all.A real breath of fresh air...

Why is a knee jerk reaction moving with the times which is not even backed by any law "moving with the times". If the club had sort actual evidence that supporters really want this i would agree but as they blatantly have not i fail to see why you think lack of consulation is "a breath of fresh air". Unless you are trying to get a rise out of people.

I wouldn't, you point was there is no reason why a non-smoker has to sit by a smoker, for which I explained,

all very well saying there is soo much room?......but what about big matches? or if we get a sell out? should plans then have to be changed to accomodate smokers? this way everyone knows where they stand.

fair enough some non-smokers may want to sit with friends who smoke in which case sit with them, there is nothing stopping them.

There's no reason there can't be several smoking blocks in each stand to give a fair choice.

We hardly ever sell out, the decision shouldn't be based on the exceptional game that didn't happen this season or last season and may well not next season. It should be based on keeping most people happy most of the time. And it isn't, it's based on keeping the militant anti smokers happy, even though there's no basis for their unhappiness other than they don't like the smell.

There's a large number of non smokers who go to matches in groups with people who smoke who will quite happily sit in a smoking block, the same way as they will quite happily sit in the smoking section of a pub before and after the game. Not everyone is a victim of the anti smoking lobby's propaganda. Now, with probably about 10% of the ground capacity in a smoking area, these groups have to choose between splitting up or the smokers not being able to enjoy their habit. There's no need for it.

I had a look on a few sites and Wolves fans voted 70/30 for a smoking ban. Derby have smoking zones as do Aston Villa. Coventry installed a complete ban when their new stadium opened in August last year. I'm sure this is a sign of the times now in sports grounds.

City have had no vote, City have ten thousand empty seats, some clubs are doing nothing, the club have been less than lucid in what they have been actually proposing, they have no evidence any majority want a ban and this has been done without consulation. Is the A block of the Dolman stand going to be big enough?Will non smokers have to move?Is this going to be just season ticket holders only? Why when i have asked these questions for overe two months has nobody been able to give me an answer?

Hi, haven't posted for a long while.

While a smoking ban may discourage a proportion of fans from attending, it will have the reverse effect for others. My girlfriend and I abhor cigarette smoke to the point where it became the sole reason we will not currently attend football grounds (before you ask, yes, this also applies to public houses). We did attend one game at the Gate this season, at home to Walsall but it was spoiled by the adolescents next to us, behind us and two rows in front all chain-smoking their way through the game.

I am not advocating a total ban, that is too radical and hurried a move, however I do agree smoking and non-smoking sections would at least afford supporters a choice, one which my girlfriend and I (along with many others, I guess) would very much appreciate.

Scott.

So Season ticket holders who smoke, and have had their tickets for years, have to now make way for someone like yourself (and your girlfriend) who attended 1 and I repeat 1 match at Ashton Gate this season.

I also have to believe that you will never enter anywhere where there is smoking present, am I correct? why go over the top?, I can understand smoking being banned in confined spaces, but an open air football ground??

One last questiion, when this country becomes a total non smokiing country, and I don't know how long that will be, let's see how happy you are when your tax is increased by about 10% a week !

Lots of people are divided on this subject, but try and be a bit more reasonable like Robins has been.

Little experiment. I sit next to you at a match and everytime you breath out smoke around me, i'll spray a nice dose of extra strong Hi-Karate deodrant toward you. Do that for 90 mins, every game. :w00t:

i can'r smell anything from your direction so your deodrant must be working :crying:

what has that got to do with anything?............was it only people that smoked who turned up then? and when the gates were at 6k?.........was it f....k

personally back in 82 I was 5.

Aniother dim one then. Traditionally the game has been working class, and of those people a very high percentage smoked. They went years ago, and are still going, whereas the prawns.................they are a new phenomenon...............changing everything ruthlessly in their sushi eating, smoke hating fashion. In 82 I was going to the Gate, aged 25. as were many others.

Freedom of choice is a mantra you lot constantly rattler on about- what about theirs????

glad they have banned to it be honest, yes, it will be good because I won't get home each stinking of sh::t!, but more importantly I won't now have to spend each week coughing my guts up because of other people digusting habits!

Between the smoking ban, season tickets price freeze and the new kit! GREAT DAY TODAY!

oh and they will no doubt stop going to pubs before the game as they can't smoke!...........yeah right!

don't let truth get in the way of of your obvious predudice. My wife and I never get home and cough our guts out after sitting next to smokers. don't bloody exaggerate the smell, in an open stadium, even thats ott.

And that sums the likes of you up, the new strip.........WOW!!!!! Big DEAL!!!!

Archived