IGNORED

Basso.

BS10 RED

I'm concerned about Basso's fitness. The keeper going off is usually extremely rare, but this isn't the first time he's been injured. Is he injury prone, or is it just bad luck? Either way, at least one new keeper needed in the summer I feel.

I would love Steve to stay - he is a great keeper, but I think his head is too big for the club.

I think he will leave and I hope we sign Konstantinoopolois who can battle it out with Basso for the number 1 shirt.... :pray:

Well done for spelling that i wouldnt of none where to start. :rofl2br::rofl2br::rofl2br:

Did you think that when Phillips was voted Divisional keeper in consecutive seasons ??

Yes. Always have and always will. Ever since I met the bloke playing cricket against him I've had no time for him.

Bye bye Steve, good luck in League 2

Yes. Always have and always will. Ever since I met the bloke playing cricket against him I've had no time for him.

Bye bye Steve, good luck in League 2

oh so your experience in meeting Steve Phillips has made you judge him as a Goalkeeper has it ???

Now Ive heard it all :yawn:

Suicidal Red much as you appear to have some irrational love of Mr Phillips I met him and frankly lost some respect for him as a person after that.

That followed by numerous errors costing us goals meant I don't want him in goal for the club again. His attitude since being dropped has been absolutely nothing short of shocking and immature.

All added together means someone else should be in goal in my opinion. Whether that is Basso, Abbey or someone we sign.

I will leave you now to go and drool over your Steve Phillips Testomonial Brochure.

Love of Phillips ?

Now you are being childish.

I have met him the once albeit for a only a few minutes in town.Seemed happy to chat so I don't have a problem with him but i will add if and IF he had been "stand-offish" or whatever I would think he was just a "big-headed" plank but no way would it cloud my judgement on his ability.

His errors you say....at the time our defence was awful.In fact the whole team was awful.

Ok he let in a bad one through the wall (cant remember against who) but don't all keepers ?

Oh and I didnt go to his legends testimonial.

All keepers make mistakes Steve, Basso, Cech all of them but...

This season Phillips made a good few errors in a short space of time Notts County in the cup, Southend at home etc etc that added to his poor decision making from crosses etc meant we needed someone who would solidify things at the back.

I agree that Heywood and Carey followed by Carey and Fontaine as solid partnerships have helped Basso but he as also been a breath of fresh air with his alertness and positioning. A bit over the top maybe sometimes but has been part of a tremendous defensive effort in the latter part of the season.

Steve's attitude of late, and his attitude when I have met him/played against him are not acceptable for a professional footballer and for that matter a role model.

I apologise for the love Steve comment that was being childish but it annoys me when people look to the past to justify the present. He has been good for us in the past, and when in the team I supported him as I do any City player but he is not the keeper he was and I think his attitude means he is not good for the team.

I hope he leaves as I don't think he is upto being first choice at this club again.

I think it is safe to say that Phillips has played his last game for the club and I wouldn't be surprised if he finds himself playing in the fourth division for either the Gas or MK Dons next season. Unfortunately he is one of probably two players who could not take the hand grenade incident and finds himself frozen out - which, given the way the rest of the team have responded since with great spirit and a desire to fight for each other, is probably for the best. I, personally, would also like to see the other player who threw his toys out after the grenade move on - whether that is possible, only time will tell. Abbey was sound today when he came on - a massive improvement from what we saw of him in his Luton and Chesterfield days. It will be interesting to see whether he has done enough to earn a contract.

Guest Ron

I'm concerned about Basso's fitness. The keeper going off is usually extremely rare, but this isn't the first time he's been injured. Is he injury prone, or is it just bad luck? Either way, at least one new keeper needed in the summer I feel.

The fact he is a total nutcase has something to do with it, he just goes in like a sledgehammer to get the ball, regardless of impending injury/boots/death.

BASSO IS QUITE SIMPLY OVER - RATED AND ITS A JOKE THAT HE IS STILL IN THE CITY FIRST TEAM AS HE IS CLUELESS, HIS KICKING IS AWFUL, HIS CATCHING IS OVER DRAMATIC AND OVERALL I DON'T RATE HIM AT ALL INFACT I THINK HE IS RUBBISH!!!!!!!!

STEVE PHILLIPS IS THE BEST GOALKEEPER WE HAVE AT THE CLUB AND SHOULD BE THE FIRST TEAM GOALKEEPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Ron

BASSO IS QUITE SIMPLY OVER - RATED AND ITS A JOKE THAT HE IS STILL IN THE CITY FIRST TEAM AS HE IS CLUELESS, HIS KICKING IS AWFUL, HIS CATCHING IS OVER DRAMATIC AND OVERALL I DON'T RATE HIM AT ALL INFACT I THINK HE IS RUBBISH!!!!!!!!

Can you name more than 1 goal he has been at fault for this season? :whistle:

I could do the same for Phillips - let's see, there was one against Notts County, one against Gillingham (where he only played about 40 minutes!), the first in our 3-0 rout against Southend....

STEVE PHILLIPS IS THE BEST GOALKEEPER WE HAVE AT THE CLUB AND SHOULD BE THE FIRST TEAM GOALKEEPER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't give a stuff how "dramatic" his catching is as long as the ball ends up in his hands. On what basis is Basso "clueless"? That is quite a sweeping statement to make. I thought his kicking was very good today and on several other occasions? Why is he RUBBISH? How many points has he cost us - less than Phillips this season - FACT.

I'll tell you what is rubbish - no names - a player who is slagging off the first team manager of this football club at an away game to half a dozen supporters whilst the said manager is 50 yards away and trying his bloody hardest to lift the team out of a record breaking run of defeats - one who I clearly remember saying "If Johnson does not get the sack then we will be relegated" - as I said, no names.

Steve - Thanks for the great service you have given to this Club, and some of us are very sorry to see you go. I just wish other "supporters" could say much the same, regardless of their opinions on your ability, after all, you have been a decent keeper for a number of years, always given your best, always been loyal to BCFC, but circumstances dictate that it is time to move on.

Good luck in the future.

Steve - Thanks for the great service you have given to this Club, and some of us are very sorry to see you go. I just wish other "supporters" could say much the same, regardless of their opinions on your ability, after all, you have been a decent keeper for a number of years, always given your best, always been loyal to BCFC, but circumstances dictate that it is time to move on.

Good luck in the future.

I would echo most of that although, personally, I cannot say I will shed any tears should he leave the club. As you said - moving on is possibly best for all parties.

For Paulton Rovers.

BASSO COSTLY ERRORS : -

S****HORPE AT HOME

COLCHESTER AWAY

THERE HAS BEEN MORE BUT I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO MENTION ALL OF HIS ERRORS AS ID BE HERE ALL NIGHT IF I DID!!!!!!!!!

ALSO THERE HAS BEEN MANY TIMES WHEN HE COMES FOR THE BALL AND FAILS TO GET IT.

FACT IS BASSO SHOULD BE 2ND CHOICE AND PHILLIPS WILL FOREVER BE FIRST CHOICE FOR BRISTOL CITY IN MY OPINION.

Guest Ron

S****HORPE AT HOME

COLCHESTER AWAY

S****horpe at home is the example I can think of, Colchester I can't comment on but I don't remember him letting anything stupid past him, having listened on the radio and watched the highlights.

THERE HAS BEEN MORE BUT I DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO MENTION ALL OF HIS ERRORS AS ID BE HERE ALL NIGHT IF I DID!!!!!!!!!

No, please, continue...:whistle:

Less so than Phillips, who stays rooted to his line in all situations.

FACT IS BASSO SHOULD BE 2ND CHOICE AND PHILLIPS WILL FOREVER BE FIRST CHOICE FOR BRISTOL CITY IN MY OPINION.

Not possible, he's burnt his bridges, effectively...

S****HORPE AT HOME

COLCHESTER AWAY

Basso does come for balls and sometimes not get there. That does not happen to Phillips simply because he is a "liner" therefore he can never make that particular mistake very often. However Basso also reaches many of the balls he comes for which takes pressure off of the defence. There is no way anybody can convince me that Basso's kicking is worse than Phillips - we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

You now say Basso should be second choice, which, fair enough is your opinion and one I would have shared a few months back but that is totally different to being clueless and rubbish which you said in your earlier statements. However, should Basso drop to second choice at this club I think it will be to Nathan Abbey or some other keeper signed in the summer, not Steve Phillips who is on his way out of Ashton Gate in my opinion.

:whistle:

There is no doubting his ability.

Thats not accurate,Ron.

Phillips ability has come into question many times. We all know he's a good shot stopper but that he's weak in other area's like catching crosses.He has never dominated the box and is very weak on making decisions with crosses.Its no co-incidence that he has the nick-name of 'flapper'.

Add to his obvious flaws a crap attitude as well and you have a player who will be leaving AG over the summer.

Good luck in the future.

Totally agree with that. He deserves respect for all he has done for us. The fact that he has lost his way as City player is no reason to be hostile or disrespectful to him. Ten years of service, largely at a very high level, hence a number of awards, has made me very fond of Phillips and if he must leave now, as it seems so, then all the very best of luck to the guy - a s##thead through and through.

Gary Johnson is a very good judge of character and if he feels it is time for SP to move on I am happy to see it happen.

But I refuse to partake in the childish demonising of a talented and and competetive west-country stalwart.

But I refuse to partake in the childish demonising of a talented and and competetive west-country stalwart.

Oh come on Mozo!

Talented? thats questionable, West Country? thats true.Stalwart? Not imo.

The fact is that Phillips had little or no serious competition for his place for ages and when competition did eventually arrive he behaved ike a spoiled brat when he lost his place.

Oh come on Mozo!

Talented? thats questionable, West Country? thats true.Stalwart? Not imo.

The fact is that Phillips had little or no serious competition for his place for ages and when competition did eventually arrive he behaved ike a spoiled brat when he lost his place.

I stand by my comments Robbored.

Talented, award-winning, a player who showed his potential at a tender age in the division above and held down a place through sheer determination and ability.

West-country, local, at City from a young age, one of us.

Stalwart, sturdy, strong and faithful, ten full seasons at the club, mostly as a first team regualar, with some moments of sheer inspiration.

Is he Gods gift to goalkeeping? Of course not, but do people demonise him and overlook his efforts? Yes they do, but I won't. Basso is living proof that Phillips was, when performing at his best, one of better keepers of the last decade or two.

Good luck to the fella.

Disagree with the attitude shown here entirely,

what chance does a club have if fans get on their back, slating them and fielding negative attitudes. Some of them may even come on here.

Steve Phillips "was" one of the best keepers we have had here at City and has done very well in his ten years, however he has peaked it seems and maybe isn't the criteria Gary Johnson desires. It would be nice to see him stay local and do well he deserves it after all he owes City nothing and City owes him alot.

Basso is a good shot stoppa and also gets the job done, he may not be the worlds best kicker or his rushing out may need working on, but until he came to us he had no experience of this league. He should be given a chance next season but we do need to draft in if Phillips leaves.

I don't think I am in a posistion to Judge Phillips or Basso as i know damn sure they are 500 times better than I would be.

I hope we sign an experienced keeper to work with Basso who has experienced football at a higher level.

Anyway

Good Luck Steve, hope you get the job you want.

Archived