IGNORED

Jamie Mccombe Signs

Redmin

Looks more likely that Fontaine is staying in London.....the women win again.

So now its Carey, Heywood, Keogh and McCombe for the 2 center back positions. Add to that Skuse and the 6ft 3in young Wilson who can fill the position and we have sufficient cover.

Having wasted two seasons playing too narrow, we need some wide players, left flank and right flank, not me, I flunked flank !....... silly Grandpa....silly.

Looks more likely that Fontaine is staying in London.....the women win again.

So now its Carey, Heywood, Keogh and McCombe for the 2 center back positions. Add to that Skuse and the 6ft 3in young Wilson who can fill the position and we have sufficient cover.

Having wasted two seasons playing too narrow, we need some wide players, left flank and right flank, not me, I flunked flank !....... silly Grandpa....silly.

Hopefully Heywood will be released or transfered, get fontaine in, have Louis and Liam as centre backs and McCombe as back up incase they get injured, Keogh is one of my favourite players but hes going to do well to fit in there :dunno: Partridge hopefully get released too

Hopefully Heywood will be released or transfered, get fontaine in, have Louis and Liam as centre backs and McCombe as back up incase they get injured, Keogh is one of my favourite players but hes going to do well to fit in there :dunno: Partridge hopefully get released too

Heywood released? Before he got injured he was pushing for player of the season, an absolute colossus!

Carey and Fontaine stepped up well but Heywood is class.

Heywood released? Before he got injured he was pushing for player of the season, an absolute colossus!

Carey and Fontaine stepped up well but Heywood is class.

In my opinion Heywood and Class are two words which should not be put in the same paragraph let alone sentance. I didn`t see ANY signs of player of the season, I thought he was entirely average and one dimensional...not saying I didn`t support him or wudn`t support him, I just don`t rate him at all.

Why do we assume that Jamie McCombe isn't going to play?

He started 40 games each season for a promotion pushing side in league two and even captained them apparently at some point.

He's a young, big, mobile centre half and i doubt he's been brought in as cover.

If anything Heywood would be cover as this guy just sounds all round better than him. He's bigger, quicker and can play too.

Hopefully Heywood is released?????????? you joker

Hopefully Heywood is released?????????? you joker

has anyone ever heard of the phrase 'competition for places'??? could it be that GJ wants four CB's competing for the spots and will enter the pre-season with a view that whoever gets the nod will do so on merit on their pre-season performances and form will dictate who plays throughout the season???? :dunno:

has anyone ever heard of the phrase 'competition for places'??? could it be that GJ wants four CB's competing for the spots and will enter the pre-season with a view that whoever gets the nod will do so on merit on their pre-season performances and form will dictate who plays throughout the season???? :dunno:

Well said my little chum..... :chant6ez:

Why do you think this ?

Radio reporting the club are in talks again, and are talking with another striker. . .

Because imo its another case of overkill. Frankly, we don't need Carey, Heywood, Fontaine, Keogh and McCombe for 2 positions. Three players will not be playing first team football and that breeds discontent and players getting loaned out, so whats the point ?

What we need is wide players, left and right flank, there's the weakness.

Why do we assume that Jamie McCombe isn't going to play?

He started 40 games each season for a promotion pushing side in league two and even captained them apparently at some point.

He's a young, big, mobile centre half and i doubt he's been brought in as cover.

If anything Heywood would be cover as this guy just sounds all round better than him. He's bigger, quicker and can play too.

Totally agree with you, that's how I see it too.

Heywood has a disrupted season due to injuries, that concerns me for the future. I like Heywood but he's not mobile enough for me. I think we could do better, infact by signing Mccombe I think we probably have.

GJ has really changed the defence, and it needed changing. I'd like to see Fontaine sign but think Keogh could do well as he is gaining international experience . Hope we get some news on a 'keeper soon although with the loan system we have some scope there.

Correct, although if we were to get Fontaine we would have 5

Correct, although if we were to get Fontaine we would have 5

6 when you consider that noone's likely to take Partridge off our hands any time soon, and 7 or 8 if you include the fact that Skuse and Wilson can play there.

I'm not dismayed at this signing because he sounds like a decent player - I am very confused by it though because it was probably the single strongest area of the team in terms of both quality and cover.

There are plenty of holes that need filling, I hope they're getting sorted out too.

6 when you consider that noone's likely to take Partridge off our hands any time soon, and 7 or 8 if you include the fact that Skuse and Wilson can play there.

I'm not dismayed at this signing because he sounds like a decent player - I am very confused by it though because it was probably the single strongest area of the team in terms of both quality and cover.

There are plenty of holes that need filling, I hope they're getting sorted out too.

Agreed.

that's crazy talk, heywood is a good player and does exactly the job he was signed for, strong in the air and a good phyical pressence

Because imo its another case of overkill. Frankly, we don't need Carey, Heywood, Fontaine, Keogh and McCombe for 2 positions. Three players will not be playing first team football and that breeds discontent and players getting loaned out, so whats the point ?

Have to agree with you - we don't need 5 centre backs to cover 2 positions ( 6 if you count Partridge - whatever we think of him he is an international ).

that's crazy talk, heywood is a good player and does exactly the job he was signed for, strong in the air and a good phyical pressence

End of the season - Did we miss him? No!

Carey and Fontaine , Were Superb.

I trust GJ in his judgement, If he wants the new man then its good enough for me.

Personally I'm not won over by Heywood yet, Ball winner he is, But i feel too slow on the floor. Maybe GJ thinks the same-Lets wait and see.

As for Partridge-He may be on our books but will never feature in a city shirt again, So don't include him.

Personally I think this is a very sound signing.

Partridge will almost certainly not be representing this club next season, whether it be through a permenant transfer or, more likely, a season long loan move.

It appears unlikely that Fontaine will sign now, perhaps the most likely scenario here would be a loan swoop on our part next season - which presumably Fulham would accept as I doubt they see him as Premiership standard just yet.

Question marks will rightly remain over Heywoods fitness simply because he missed so much of this season.

People are banding around the name of Wilson but id be very surprised if GJ was considering him one of his frontline first team possibilities.

That leaves Skuse who's natural position is in midfield, i imagine people would be concerned if he was considered part of the centre back rotation, Carey who will clearly be one of the central pair and Keogh.

This signing makes perfect sense to me, to suggest there will be 6, 7 or even 8 players competing on a regular basis for 2 places is, with limited analysis, wide of the mark in my opinion.

Maybe the court case coming up may provide grounds for contract termination if found guilty as charged?

Don't forget Brooker,Orr, and Brown also charged as well although for lesser offences (IIRC) - point being that if ANY of the other three are found guilty as well as Partridge then BCFC couldn't single out Partridge for termination without terminating any of the other guilty players contracts. Imagine if - say Brooker and Parto found guilty - can hardly see City terminating Brookers contract.

If Partridge is singled out for different treatment he simply goes to Industrial Tribunal and/or his lawyer/Players Union etc and get compensated in full for his contract.

But if Patridge is found guilty and the others not guilty then I suppose City could fire him but would be wise to take legal advice first - for example if subsequently any other player was caught in a similar incident in future then we would be obliged to treat that player the same as Partridge (or face being sued for unfair dismissal etc).

I think the idea of Partridge getting the sack just because it's convenient and we have alot of centre backs needs to be forgotten - it opens too big a can of worms.

Anyway - In my opinion either all will be guilty OR all will be not guilty

This signing makes perfect sense to me, to suggest there will be 6, 7 or even 8 players competing on a regular basis for 2 places is, with limited analysis, wide of the mark in my opinion.

IF we don't get Fontaine, and IF someone takes Partridge despite his upcoming court appearance and IF Heywood is injured despite him being on course to be fit for the pre sason... the likelihood of all these occuring is very low.... then we'll have Carey, McCombe, Keogh and 2 stopgaps in Skuse and Wilson.

The more likely situation is that two of those three will still be here and will be fit and available and therefore we'll have 5 centre halves and two stopgaps competing for two places. That's overkill no matter how you look at it.

It's also taking up space in a 24 man squad and taking up wages that would be better spent on the other far far weaker areas.

If GJ had moved Partridge on or openly given up on Heywood's fitness and chances of signing Fontaine then it would make sense, as it stands it doesn't make sense because it's at the possible expense of signings in areas we need them.

In recent seasons we have failed due to not having good enough cover when injuries occur as they will. I have faith in Gj, He knows the squad better than any of us and knows what the squad needs better than any of us. So I have complete faith in him, If he fails then he will have to face the consequences.

IF we don't get Fontaine, and IF someone takes Partridge despite his upcoming court appearance and IF Heywood is injured despite him being on course to be fit for the pre sason... the likelihood of all these occuring is very low.... then we'll have Carey, McCombe, Keogh and 2 stopgaps in Skuse and Wilson.

The more likely situation is that two of those three will still be here and will be fit and available and therefore we'll have 5 centre halves and two stopgaps competing for two places. That's overkill no matter how you look at it.

HIt's also taking up space in a 24 man squad and taking up wages that would be better spent on the other far far weaker areas.

If GJ had moved Partridge on or openly given up on Heywood's fitness and chances of signing Fontaine then it would make sense, as it stands it doesn't make sense because it's at the possible expense of signings in areas we need them.

In any team you need 2 players at least for every position. That makes 22 players, Then to make up the 24 it would most likely be a 3rd keeper and another position. It's also worth noting that many players can play in various positions, IE Carey can play at Cb and Rb.

It may seem like over kill to you but when one gets injured and another gets banned at the same time then you can possibly understand why Gj has brought in another cb.

Having a strong defence is key to any promotion bid and squad depth is also key to that.

Archived