IGNORED

Team V Huddersfield

Bristol Boy

personally would like to see Stewart on the bench (especially for Huddersfield) ahead of one of the midfielders and Williams at this stage- Showumni can play midfield as could Orr (if McCombe comes on) - no need for radical changes as we seemed to have plenty of the game and enough shots on goal - not our night hopefully Saturday will see us take our chances.

Think McAllister is likely to come in on the left probably for Cotterill and Johnson for Skuse if GJ feels they are both match fit.

You may be right, however, you must consider that GJ has signed seven new players and he'll want to include more of them at some juncture.

I disagree that it was only a mad few minutes last night.

After scoring, we started to loose out in midfield, Bradford forced numerous corners and Basso made a great save at the feet of a striker only 8 yards out.

Overall I'd give us the first ten minutes of the first half and Bradford most of the rest.

We had to many players not doing it-Cotterill-Murray & Skuse to name three.

That invited pressure and Bradford cashed in.

In the second half we came back after a wobbly start but our pressure was asa result of whooshinf it forward and our players aren't 6'6" whoosh merchants-That and some decent goal keeping and defending kept us out.

If we're not panicing what would you call four formations in one game?

Time to take stock and think.

Educated guess! :D

you must have gone to a different game to me then. I think your match report was terrible BB. In fairness i much agreed with the s****horpe one but inparticular the ratings for bradford were, well..... my face did not look far from this reading them.................. :blink:

These new formations and team selctions you seem to think will work is not a good decision, may i ask, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH OUR DEFENCE???? yet you want to break that up :blink::blink: Its the only actual functional, sound and strong part of our team at the moment.

The problem is our attacking four. Fine if you have seen McCallister play then yes, put him in. try williams on the right if you are so determined to start him in the first 11. but at this time the formation should not change.

GJ got the team spot on again last nite Ewok up front was the correct decsion, however his tactical substitutions were poor. there was no need to bring McCoombe on for the simple reason he wasn't going to mark a tall centre forward. Russel needed longer and to be fair cotrill was rightful taken off.

No way should Woodman be dropped, playing excellent defensively, rarely gives the ball away, distribution excellent, and also gets forward with quality crosses - for example for last nights goal.

Carey and Fontaine look immense together, and nearly everyone agrees Orr is a revelation as a RB in a back four. Our 2 league games this season, and the last 2 friendlies against proper teams (Southampton and Shrewsbury) , the only goals conceded have been an error by Basso, an unfortunate refereeing decision and yet another poor decision by Cotterill (see below). So no way should that back four be messed around with, and thankfully I don't think Johnson will do so.

Coterrill needs to be given a rest until he is able to know when to take players on (in the opposition half) and when not to (within 10 yards of our penalty area).

Johnson wont drop Skuse, he rates him highly, and rightly so.

Brooker has not been that effective for me, and Jevons looks a bit light weight.

This is what I think Johnson will do, and if so, I agree with:

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine Woodman

Murray Skuse Noble McCallister

Brooker Showumni

SUBS (5 out of the following 6)

Williams (if fit - and will come on)

McCombe

Brown/Johnson/Russell (2 out of those 3)

Jevons

GK

I also hope Jonners gives up the wierd policy of bringing on McCombe for a forward and reshuffling the defence with Woodman moving forward - Woodie gives us just as much going forward from LB as he does at left midfield, so I don't know what that is trying to achieve.

I agree with all of that.

Educated guess! :D

Well anyone can post posts like this, But as no one apart from Gj knows what the line up will be then you shouldn't be saying this will be Gj's team.

Imagine the chaos there would be if every member started a thread saying what they think the starting line up would be.

Well anyone can post posts like this, But as no one apart from Gj knows what the line up will be then you shouldn't be saying this will be Gj's team.

It's called a prediction.Life's full of them.Get used to it.

Imagine the chaos there would be if every member started a thread saying what they think the starting line up would be.

Don't reply and then the thread will disappear.

personally would like to see Stewart on the bench (especially for Huddersfield) ahead of one of the midfielders and Williams at this stage- Showumni can play midfield as could Orr (if McCombe comes on) - no need for radical changes as we seemed to have plenty of the game and enough shots on goal - not our night hopefully Saturday will see us take our chances.

Think McAllister is likely to come in on the left probably for Cotterill and Johnson for Skuse if GJ feels they are both match fit.

Firstly, I've got more chance of playing than Marcus Stewart. :D

Orr's awful in midfield and is playing well at right back.

46% of possession at Bradford and 40% on Saturday :(

Showumni could play wide left, but usually as a sub.

Bradfords GK made two decent saves all night and they were from 20 & 25 yards respectively.

I don't remember many clear cut chances at all. :(

The problem with leaving Cotterill & Williams out is that it leaves us bereft of any real pace.

These new formations and team selctions you seem to think will work is not a good decision, may i ask, WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH OUR DEFENCE???? yet you want to break that up :blink::blink: Its the only actual functional, sound and strong part of our team at the moment.

Nothing much is wrong with the defence but it won't win promotion unless the rest of the team starts to funtion.GJ has made two signings and he hasn't done that for fun or to make up the numbers.Players of that quality haven't come here to sit on the bench.They could have done that at Hearts.

The problem is our attacking four.

Agree, plus the midfield.

Fine if you have seen McCallister play then yes, put him in. try williams on the right

Would play Williams down the centre or on the left wing.

if you are so determined to start him in the first 11. but at this time the formation should not change.

That'll leave us a bit short of height and defensive capability if we play Cotterill, Murray, Johnson & Jevons.

GJ got the team spot on again last nite Ewok up front was the correct decsion, however his tactical substitutions were poor. there was no need to bring McCoombe on for the simple reason he wasn't going to mark a tall centre forward. Russel needed longer and to be fair cotrill was rightful taken off.

With all that right, it's funny that we lost :whistle:

If it's called prediction then why don't you state that?

Christ Almighty, it's a fans forum not a goverment white paper.

If you don't like it thern don't respond and post something yourself.

No way should Woodman be dropped, playing excellent defensively, rarely gives the ball away, distribution excellent, and also gets forward with quality crosses - for example for last nights goal.

He won't in a 4-4-2 but he can't play wing back or left midfield.I think GJ will eventually drop him ( I wouldn't) and either play McAllister at left back or shift Fontaine to LB and bring in McCombe who he's brought on twice now in two games.

Carey and Fontaine look immense together, and nearly everyone agrees Orr is a revelation as a RB in a back four.

I wonder which well known poster was suggesting that he was a defender and a RB for ages before that change happened.Same bloke wanted Carey at Centre Back, not right back :D

Our 2 league games this season, and the last 2 friendlies against proper teams (Southampton and Shrewsbury) , the only goals conceded have been an error by Basso, an unfortunate refereeing decision and yet another poor decision by Cotterill (see below). So no way should that back four be messed around with, and thankfully I don't think Johnson will do so.

He's messed around with it twice during two games.That's a fact.

Coterrill needs to be given a rest until he is able to know when to take players on (in the opposition half) and when not to (within 10 yards of our penalty area).

:pray:Amen.The only issue that I have with dropping Cotterill is that we'll miss his pace, although, he utilises that better in a central role.

Johnson wont drop Skuse, he rates him highly, and rightly so.

So who will Johnson replace if we stick to 4-4-2

Brooker has not been that effective for me, and Jevons looks a bit light weight.

Correct

This is what I think Johnson will do, and if so, I agree with:

Basso

Orr Carey Fontaine Woodman

Murray Skuse Noble McCallister

Brooker Showumni

I think he'll do that apart from starting Jevo next to Brooker

SUBS (5 out of the following 6)

Williams (if fit - and will come on)

McCoombe

Brown/Johnson/Rusell (2 out of those 3)

Jevons

GK

Perm any one from 8!!

I also hope Jonners gives up the wierd policy of bringing on McCombe for a forward and reshuffling the defence with Woodman moving forward - Woodie gives us just as much going forward from LB as he does at left midfield, so I don't know what that is trying to achieve.

He's made seven signings.

One's injured and the rest are chomping at the bit to start.

If we lose Saturday, I think the next few selections will be really interesting :rolleyes:

46% of possession at Bradford and 40% on Saturday :(

You pulled those stats off World. How do you think they arrived at them? Most likely it was a wild assed guess. 40% of possession in a game we won is extremely unlikely.

Bradfords GK made two decent saves all night and they were from 20 & 25 yards respectively.

I don't remember many clear cut chances at all. :(

8 shots on target and 7 off would indicate that your memory is at fault, or are stats from World only applicable when they support your argument?

The problem with leaving Cotterill & Williams out is that it leaves us bereft of any real pace.

This is quite amusing considering your consistent argument in the close season that we needed a big centre forward to play alongside Brooker. We signed your big unit and now we're playing long balls and losing possession, so pace is the answer is it? :whistle:

Showunmi has a great deal of pace even if you haven't seen it, Murray's still pretty quick, and so is Skuse. I would bet on Cotterill starting anyway.

.......................................................BASSO.........................................................................................

ORR....................................CAREY............................FONTAINE...........................................MCALLISTER...

MURRAY..............................BROWN.........................NOBLE...............................................SHOWUMNI........

..........................................BROOKER........................JEVONS................................................................

WILLIAMS

JOHNSON

MCCOMBE

WOODMAN

Cotterill

A TOUGH BALL WINNER IN THE MIDDLE PLEASE, THEN MABE WE WON'T

GIVE THE BALL AWAY SO MUCH WHEN HIT ON THE BREAK.

.......................................................BASSO.........................................................................................

ORR....................................CAREY............................FONTAINE...........................................MCALLISTER...

MURRAY..............................BROWN.........................NOBLE...............................................SHOWUMNI........

..........................................BROOKER........................JEVONS................................................................

WILLIAMS

JOHNSON

MCCOMBE

WOODMAN

Cotterill

A TOUGH BALL WINNER IN THE MIDDLE PLEASE, THEN MABE WE WON'T

GIVE THE BALL AWAY SO MUCH WHEN HIT ON THE BREAK.

Woodman dropped because? Have you seen Mcallister play to jugde to replace a more than reasonable player who has still got time to improve even more?

When I get my turn on the computor, pre medication, first step is check this forum.

Better than TV, better than grain toast with REAL butter, half way to a good single malt, yes, its Bristol Boy v Nibor in the footy follies

They are good, you teens need to take note as to how to reason your arguement and state your case. Even some of the older delinquents without a clue can learn a thing or two.

I've had to hire hundreds of people in my time, and without knowing their backgrounds, they would go onto a short list.

More importently they are great entertainment for the older generation. The wit, cut and thrust of debate, could only be our England. Go at it gentlemen, you have my applause.

He's made seven signings.

One's injured and the rest are chomping at the bit to start.

If we lose Saturday, I think the next few selections will be really interesting :rolleyes:

QUOTE BRISTOL BOY FROM ABOVE:

"I wonder which well known poster was suggesting that he (Orr) was a defender and a RB for ages before that change happened.Same bloke wanted Carey at Centre Back, not right back."

Very good BB, very good.

QUOTE BRISTOL BOY NOVEMBER 2005 - POST 24

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=47191&hl=

It didn't take that long to find that, it was one of several posts where BB advocated, inter alia, Carey and Orr out.

Then, when Johnson put Carey to CB and Orr to RB, guess what - BB gradually began to have Carey and Orr in his team at CB and RB!

Woodman dropped because? Have you seen Mcallister play to jugde to replace a more than reasonable player who has still got time to improve even more?

Mcallister can play defence and get foward, something i don't see woodman doing right now

is getting foward and attacking, helping murray out, i'm sure johnson see's this as why buy

Mcallister in the first place? to give him splinters in his arse???

Mcallister can play defence and get foward, something i don't see woodman doing right now

is getting foward and attacking, helping murray out, i'm sure johnson see's this as why buy

Mcallister in the first place? to give him splinters in his arse???

Did you go to Bradford on tuesday night? If you didnt then fair enough, but he got forward on a numerous occasions! He had opportunitis to score and set scotty up for the goal. Not to sure what more he can do. (other than score the chance he had, which to be honest was a terrible effort! :doh: )

With all that right, it's funny that we lost :whistle:

i find it funny how you decided to ignore the comma, take the sentence ot of context so you may add a sarcy comment.

GJ got the TEAM spot on at bradford. i did not say his tactical substitutions were correct, like against scunny where McCoombe came on for a tall centre forward. simple, plain obvious yes but he did it and that is what McCoombe was brought in for. But there was no need for his introducrion against bradford because there wasn't anybody on the pitch that he needed to contest with. That is what I'm saying in my post.

BB, why do you insist on changing things?

Little News Flash for you: ssssh: Despite apparent delusions of the opposite that has seemingly resulted in an easily attained sense of self-importance because of, believe it or not, Bristol Boy's advice for the tatical side of the team has absolutely no relevance what's so ever.

Were Gary Johnson to be holding such a discussion I'd give it attention.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

"I wonder which well known poster was suggesting that he (Orr) was a defender and a RB for ages before that change happened.Same bloke wanted Carey at Centre Back, not right back."

Very good BB, very good.

It didn't take that long to find that, it was one of several posts where BB advocated, inter alia, Carey and Orr out.

Then, when Johnson put Carey to CB and Orr to RB, guess what - BB gradually began to have Carey and Orr in his team at CB and RB!

Not that I needed this evidence to suggest that there may be reason to doubt the great OTIB tactical guru.

Did you go to Bradford on tuesday night? If you didnt then fair enough, but he got forward on a numerous occasions! He had opportunitis to score and set scotty up for the goal. Not to sure what more he can do. (other than score the chance he had, which to be honest was a terrible effort! :doh: )

fair enough on that, he is giving it a go don't get me wrong, but if johnson has bought

players for that position in to the squad then let's see them as he must feel it is needed

soon, he keeps saying ''we gave it try but we needed that bit extra quality'' it says to me

good effort but not good enough and a few players are boardering on that score.

So your saying drop Woodman, who has been as good as anyone so far, completely from the 16 as well as our hottest prospect from the academy in Cotterill but yet keep Scott Murray a player you yourself have slagged out numerously above. Your logic is deluded.

The side should be picked on current form and, taking into account the players we have signed.I can't remember Cotterill having an outstanding game, wide on either flank

I do agree that a 3-5-2 could work as Skuse has looked a little bit quiet in midfield and needs help therefore my side would be:

..............................................................BASSO....................................................................................

...............................CAREY.....................MCCOMBE....................FONTAINE...........................................

COTTERILL.................JOHNSON.................SKUSE......................NOBLE.......................WOODMAN.......

..............................................BROOKER...................JEVONS..............................................................

Subs

Reed

McAllister

Orr

Brown

Showunmi

Although to be honest the 4-4-2 suits our defense much better, which don't forget apart from 20 seconds last night has been outstanding over two games.

Almost the same as mine and Woodman has showed on numerous occassions that he is a good left back and nothing more.McAllister is a Scottish Int Wing Back who I would describe as a more aggressive version of Mick Bell.

You pulled those stats off World. How do you think they arrived at them? Most likely it was a wild assed guess. 40% of possession in a game we won is extremely unlikely.

Well if they had 60% that's all that's left.We gave the ball away to much and our central midfielders got caught under the ball to much.Defenders whooshed it when in possesion and that just saw it keep coming back.Wild assed guess?? :blink:

8 shots on target and 7 off would indicate that your memory is at fault, or are stats from World only applicable when they support your argument?

Eight shots, four of which my mum could have saved, over 90 minutes support my argument.

This is quite amusing considering your consistent argument in the close season that we needed a big centre forward to play alongside Brooker. We signed your big unit and now we're playing long balls and losing possession, so pace is the answer is it? :whistle:

My argument, and well you know it, is that you we needed a big centre forward to play if Brooker was injured OR next to Brooker.If we re-sign Lita tomorrow, I'll be delighted to see him partner Brooker but the overall point is that you have to vary your game depending on what the partnership is.Brooker did well enough next to Savage & McCammon.

Showunmi has a great deal of pace even if you haven't seen it, Murray's still pretty quick, and so is Skuse. I would bet on Cotterill starting anyway.

I think you'll lose your bet! :D

Almost the same as mine and Woodman has showed on numerous occassions that he is a good left back and nothing more.McAllister is a Scottish Int Wing Back who I would describe as a more aggressive version of Mick Bell.

Well then, 3-5-2 and McCallister in at left wing back it is then. :Sleep12:

When I get my turn on the computor, pre medication, first step is check this forum.

Better than TV, better than grain toast with REAL butter, half way to a good single malt, yes, its Bristol Boy v Nibor in the footy follies

They are good, you teens need to take note as to how to reason your arguement and state your case. Even some of the older delinquents without a clue can learn a thing or two.

I've had to hire hundreds of people in my time, and without knowing their backgrounds, they would go onto a short list.

More importently they are great entertainment for the older generation. The wit, cut and thrust of debate, could only be our England. Go at it gentlemen, you have my applause.

Why thank you Sir-As they say in North Carolina!

Now, about that job.......... :whistle:

Very good BB, very good.

Inter who? :D

Listen, if you read my Reviews & Ratings for the end of last season, you'll see plenty of high marks for both players.

There are a large number of posts promoting Orr as a defender, well before that.Even HE read them because he passed comment to one of the Forums Mods at an open day or Forum Derby.........By the way, he disagreed and said he was a midfielder :D

Even the players come around Nick! :rolleyes:

Time for you yet :pinch:

Little News Flash for you: ssssh: Despite apparent delusions of the opposite that has seemingly resulted in an easily attained sense of self-importance because of, believe it or not, Bristol Boy's advice for the tatical side of the team has absolutely no relevance what's so ever.

This is a Fans Forum in which such matters are discussed.The importance of Football itself could well be debated in light of recent occurences around the world. :(

Three posts with appx 3,500 hits must mean someones reading it

Were Gary Johnson to be holding such a discussion I'd give it attention.

I expect he'll give you a call when he's ready..........either that or you can keep reading this Forum.

Not that I needed this evidence to suggest that there may be reason to doubt the great OTIB tactical guru.

DOUBT YOU SAY??? :devil:

There are a large number of posts promoting Orr as a defender, well before that.Even HE read them because he passed comment to one of the Forums Mods at an open day or Forum Derby.........By the way, he disagreed and said he was a midfielder :D

What did he have to say when you thought he should be considered as a striker against Blackpool?

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43508

Bristol Boy, I can't be bothered to go through copying and pasting your post because you can't use quotes, but you don't half talk some rubbish sometimes.

Do you think that someone sat there at the S****horpe game with two stopwatches to arrive at the 60%/40% stat? Or do you think someone stuck a finger in the air? I know which one is more likely.

Us having the exact same number of shots on and off target as Bradford in no way supports your argument that we didn't create anything. There were at least 4 very high quality chances, our problem was that we didn't take them and our inattention gifted the opposition a lead.

You absolutely 100% advocated playing Brooker alongside a bigger targetman consistently, now you change your tune when it doesn't seem to be working. I made the point all along that we should have a pacy striker next to him, because that's how he's been most successful. You ridiculed the idea of a third division side varying their game in at least one thread. Basically you're just revising history so you can pretend not to say I told you so.

As for whether Cotterill starts, the main site seems to indicate McCallister won't, so we shall see.

F.A.O Bristol Boy. 2-3-5 is the way forward (you read it here first). Get back to 1950's football at it's best. We could even wear the old fashioned longer shorts.

Basso

Orr

Carey

Johnson

Noble

Skuse

Showunmi

Brooker

Jevons

Cotterill

Williams

Subs - Stewart, Benyon, Murray, McCoombe (you never know, a defender might get injured), Brown

What did he have to say when you thought he should be considered as a striker against Blackpool?

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43508

He said he was a midfielder.

Why don't you mention things like "late on" and if the "worst comes to the worst"........Fortune actually got a subs appearance up front at Tranmere under DW so don't knock it!!

F.A.O Bristol Boy. 2-3-5 is the way forward (you read it here first). Get back to 1950's football at it's best. We could even wear the old fashioned longer shorts.

Basso

Orr

Carey

Johnson

Noble

Skuse

Showunmi

Brooker

Jevons

Cotterill

Williams

Subs - Stewart, Benyon, Murray, McCoombe (you never know, a defender might get injured), Brown

Ah, The "W" Formation :D

Happy days :)

He said he was a midfielder.

Why don't you mention things like "late on" and if the "worst comes to the worst"........Fortune actually got a subs appearance up front at Tranmere under DW so don't knock it!!

Ah, The "W" Formation :D

Happy days :)

wasnt that the fonze richie etc ?

Bristol Boy, I can't be bothered to go through copying and pasting your post because you can't use quotes, but you don't half talk some rubbish sometimes.

Why reply then.

Do you think that someone sat there at the S****horpe game with two stopwatches to arrive at the 60%/40% stat? Or do you think someone stuck a finger in the air? I know which one is more likely.

I think that they probably use the same system as opta for the stats.What's this, a conspiracy theory because they don't agree with you?? :blink:

Presumably the people against S****horpe may have been City fans so why would they want to cock up the figures to make City look bad?? You're really clutching at straws now :disapointed2se:

Us having the exact same number of shots on and off target as Bradford in no way supports your argument that we didn't create anything. There were at least 4 very high quality chances, our problem was that we didn't take them and our inattention gifted the opposition a lead.

Name the four high quality chances?

Murrays Goal.

Brookers shot cleared off the line.

Then..............two long range efforts from Noble? I can't call them "clear cut chances" as the lad did well to create the opportunities for himself out of nothing.

You absolutely 100% advocated playing Brooker alongside a bigger targetman consistently, now you change your tune when it doesn't seem to be working.

You just don't listen do you.Either system is OK providing the team plays to it.Wimbledon often played THREE TALL STRIKERS in their heyday.Whats your answer, don't change anything no matter how we play??

I made the point all along that we should have a pacy striker next to him, because that's how he's been most successful.

Brooker was succesful next to Lita, not purely because Lita was pacy, but because Lita was the best player to have played next to him.

Steve told me the same himself after the Colchester away game and cited two examples from Port Vale-Big Guy Matthews-Smaller Guy-McPhee-Same Success-It's quality not size........erm.........so to speak!

You ridiculed the idea of a third division side varying their game in at least one thread. Basically you're just revising history so you can pretend not to say I told you so.

I don't believe in changing to three formations during the course of one game, very often.We've done it twice in two games and subbed the same players, doesn't that suggest that the formation may not totally suit our current squad, or that those players may be out of form, perhaps??

As for whether Cotterill starts, the main site seems to indicate McCallister won't, so we shall see.

Only GJ knows who is fit, ready and who isn't, but I'll reitertate that those guys ain't going to be happy sat on the bench or playing Yeovil Reserves at the Hand Stadium, for long :)

Archived