IGNORED

"true Fans"

PFree

I must admit to being fed up by a high number of City 'fans' who post on here and continually knock our own.

Since coming back from Sheffield on Saturday, there seems to be a common trend of let's record annoyance at all of the fans that don't travel often enough and who don't make enough noise.

"500 passionate fans make more noise than 5,000 plus"- "I bet there won't be more than 500 at Stockport" etc.

As an example, I have three children and Saturday has cost me around £120.00 to attend. We have two season tickets, as we have held for around 10 years. We select around 5 games a year to travel away to each season, including the bigger games such as Swindon. When we do go, believe me, I am as loud as any fan and try my best to keep the atmosphere up. Does this therefore make me a so called part-time fan in this context?

Why can't we just appreciate the pride in supporting a club that turned the Northbound M1 red on Saturday (whilst Middlesborough turned the Southbound the same colour) and filled a very large away end with 4500 plus fans!? It sounded very loud and passionate towards the front of the upper tier believe me.

If it's not the players that we seem to have to have a pop at, it's our own fans and oh, Danny's lost a game on Saturday, perhaps we should suggest he goes now!?

Great Post, i can make 6 or 7 away games, 4 so far and i spent more on Saturday than i did on a Season Ticket so it's not easy, and i dont like Coach, i tend to get travel sick, but i dont attend that many away games, and I was going to splash out for Hartlepool, would of been around 130 quid and that doesn't come easy! :rolleyes:

I must admit to being fed up by a high number of City 'fans' who post on here and continually knock our own.

Since coming back from Sheffield on Saturday, there seems to be a common trend of let's record annoyance at all of the fans that don't travel often enough and who don't make enough noise.

"500 passionate fans make more noise than 5,000 plus"- "I bet there won't be more than 500 at Stockport" etc.

As an example, I have three children and Saturday has cost me around £120.00 to attend. We have two season tickets, as we have held for around 10 years. We select around 5 games a year to travel away to each season, including the bigger games such as Swindon. When we do go, believe me, I am as loud as any fan and try my best to keep the atmosphere up. Does this therefore make me a so called part-time fan in this context?

Why can't we just appreciate the pride in supporting a club that turned the Northbound M1 red on Saturday (whilst Middlesborough turned the Southbound the same colour) and filled a very large away end with 4500 plus fans!? It sounded very loud and passionate towards the front of the upper tier believe me.

If it's not the players that we seem to have to have a pop at, it's our own fans and oh, Danny's lost a game on Saturday, perhaps we should suggest he goes now!?

Quality :rolleyes:

Agree with your general point, but it reminds me of the question my niece asked me after a game recently (she's only 8 and lives in London, but when she visits we also go to a city game)

"why does that man come here just to shout rude things at his team, why can't he just cheer and clap like we are?"

reference was to the chap behind us who was slagging off the city players before the game even started and then continued in a similar vein all match - and that was a game we were winning!

Not sure what I actually replied, but I can only imagine that some "fans" don't come to support the team they just come to let off steam, shout and criticise and that's how they get their enjoyment (shame they don't reserve it for the opposition) :D

But I guess that's football, and its not just at city

Agree Paulfree, some fans are lucky enough to be able to afford to go home and away every week, I would love to be in that position but finances don't allow me to go (and the wife :rolleyes: )

I go to about 4 or 5 away matches every season now and about 80% of home matches, when I was a young, free single bloke living with my parents i could afford to go every week home and away for about 3-4 years solid, I enjoyed every match I went to win lose or draw as money was no object, now I find myself gradually being driven out of football by high pricing of tickets for 3rd rate football, the product on show hasn't got any better, the players and their agents are bleeding the game dry and were paying for it, I do have a limit on what I will pay and can afford to pay and this is fast approaching as every season passes.

couldn't agree more about the money situation, I'm 18, and leave on me on(well with me sister) so i can't afford to go away every game, i went on saturday, and will be going again this saturday, this will have cost me £200-£250 by the time i get home on saturday,(not bad for a part timer!)so i think that people should be praising people for making the trips! not having ago at them! We all support the same club, so lets all try and get on!

I agree! I try to go to as many away games as possible but because of money it's just not possible to go to every match. If I could afford to go to every single away match then believe me I would, but I just don't have the money to do it. I don't need people telling me if that makes a real fan, partimer etc. as I know myself that I support this club as much as I can, no matter who tries to tell me otherwise.

Well said, there's a few people on here that seem to think that there more of a city fan because they go to most games which is Rubbish!

I cant stand it when people get called 'partimers'. as far as I'm concerned theres no such thing! no city fan has to justify why they dont go to a match - there are a million reasons why you would'nt!

Seems like to me that these people who call other people 'partimers' are obsessive nerds who have no life apart from watching city!

totally agree, for my part I do not make a lot of noise, but I care just as much as any fan in the ground, I have a 4 hour round trip to every home game, I have my season ticket, buy my stuff at the shop etc, etc.

I do sing a bit, but sat in the middle of the dolman and as I am tone deaf it does make me sound a bit daft!

I get behind the boys when I think they need it, but do not jump around and sing my self horse every game, does this make me less of a fan? not in my view!

Also will have to agree, i would rather them come to 1 or 2 games rather than none at all. Anyone who goes and supports the team is a city fans whther it be 1 game a season or all of them. Whether it means you buy every single thing going in the club shop or just a badge. As long as you got that passion inside you for them you a supporter, and everyone who says they are not true fans, they are not as much of a fan as me are just silly cause its like the old primary school argument.

My dads harder than your dad.

Top post my friend.

There is a general arrogance in existence on this forum and you see many subtle references if you fully read some posts that hint towards "wow, i'm a great fan, look at what I did". Perhaps people don't even realise they are doing it.

I consider myself to be a fan full stop. I don't consider anybody who attends more matches to be anymore of a fan and vice-versa.

Categorising like this is quite sad. I am happy in the knowledge that I go as often as I feasibly can and would expect nothing more of anybody else and trust nobody would want more from me.

Life's so much simpler to have no expectations of others (or yourself) :rolleyes:

Also will have to agree, i would rather them come to 1 or 2 games rather than none at all. Anyone who goes and supports the team is a city fans whther it be 1 game a season or all of them. Whether it means you buy every single thing going in the club shop or just a badge. As long as you got that passion inside you for them you a supporter, and everyone who says they are not true fans, they are not as much of a fan as me are just silly cause its like the old primary school argument.

My dads harder than your dad.

Top post my friend.

Exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier post!

Hopefully the people(Robbored etc) who call others 'partimers' may stop it now!

Dont give a ##** if some people call me a part/true etc supporter. I've been following our beloved City for over 20 years through good, bad, indifferent, ######, and on occasion bloody brilliant times. It aint what you are these days its how many times y'go!! Mad as it seems I have other interests and things to do, which all cost money. I could always suddenly dump City and go support either Wycombe, Watfart, Luton, Oxford, or god forbid a London team, cos it's be cheaper, but Aint no way I ever will, but it does mean I dont get to as many games as I'd (and the wife)like to come to. Its a team thing, we always go together, and it costs.

If any of you true supporters dont like the way I support my team, ##** ya, I dont have to prove owt to you, likewise you dont have to prove owt to me.

People like the Gliders, RobboRed, StuCider etc, are older fans and probably understand where I'm coming from.

Some of you true fans sound as sad as the Plymuff dross which have invaded our site.

All I give a toss about is City, come on you Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!! :rolleyes:

Makes we laugh! They ole moan about City should have

a bigger following! The moment they get one like

Wrexham at home an Sheffield away, they get called

part time supporters or not true fans! :Sleep12:

In the last couple of weeks we have been to Peterborough,

Grimsby, Sheffield an Wrexham at home! Believe us

when we say that it as cost us a few quid!

We be skint now so we won`t be down the gate tonight!

So I suppose we ain`t true fans then! :Sleep12: :Sleep12: :Sleep12:

Bucksred, you dont make sense - your defending Robbored when he's the person who go's round calling people partimers.

Your right no-one has anything to prove to anyone - tell that to robbored!

Finger trouble, forgot to delete before I posted about Robbo Red, I aint a typist you know. :rolleyes:

But the rest of the post is meant. So Robbo Red, I dont give a ##** if I'm a part time supporter, I'm a Cider-Red till I die! :D;):D

Sorry Riazzi for confusion. :(

Come on you Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!! :D:ph34r::D

Guest city slicker 71

Agree, the clubs down there locked in the heart, how many times you go home or away is irrelevant especially nowadays where in order to keep up with it you need to do a "mickey Thomas" and print your own notes.

UP THE ROBINS

I'm a student, and there are times during the term where I can hardly afford to feed myself, let alone go to away games. Sometimes my dad kindly stumps up for a coach ticket and sometimes even a match ticket, but seeing as he struggles for money, that doesn't happen very often. I travel from uni for every home game though, adn I've had a season ticket for years. Sorry if that doesn't make me a true fan. I've put City first more times than I can count, missing birthdays, and weddings and all sorts to get to games. Sorry if that doesn't make me a true fan.

Right so everyone is agreeable over this subject, so who were the people slagging of the 'part-timers' to start with ???

To be fair, I don't think anyone's levelled any critisism at the people who have defended themselves on this thread.

I think it goes back to what Steve L said the other week. People who proclaim themselves City fans but simply don't bother to actually support the club.

Pretty much everyone who is interested enough in the wellbeing of the club to spend time on this forum is a 'real fan' regardless of their ability to get to games and I've no doubt that Steve and even Robbored would agree with that.

Personally, I don't like to see a thread naming names.

Why not keep it to agreeing/disagreeing with the current topic raised and leave individuals comments (that may have been taken well out of context anyway) back in the historic thread they were made in?

Very Confused by this one..

My own story, I'm a student.

I'm in Uni most nights till 7pm and work on Saturdays to pay for my scandolous London Rent. London aint cheap for a student!

I havent been able to go to hardly any games this season - not due to not wanting too, but purely due to the fact of no transportation/no money and no time.

This does not mean that i am a part time supporter.

Why does everyone have something to prove? "Ive been to every away game." Thats great support, but that does not make you more of a supporter than me.

I am on this forum now, i have supported and will support BCFC my whole life - even while living 2 mins away from Charltons ground and my family all support either Manure or BRFC.

I am here in fornt of my computer listening to poxy BCW or watching the score on skysports news, then i am straight on here trying to find out from you guys what happend.

As an example, i came home especially for Tinnions evening and went to the Wrexham game at a total weekend trip of £112 - if i include the train fare.

We are all on this crazy ride of BCFC - ok the 50,000 fans we took to Cardiff, many of them are probably gasheads, but many of us who are on here or turn up to games - even if they are only 5 times a season are proper fans.

We are a 2nd division team, we are never going to attract big gates in this league - for a number of reasons.

Unlike the older uns, the generation today havent had a top flight local football team. We have mostly grown up watching our teams on Sky (Arsenal, Man u) - and as a local sport we are obviously more succesful at Rugby. We havent got the fanbase that used to watch them in the premiership - like the Sheff Weds/Watfords of this world - and sadly we are not a fashionable club. Transport from some areas of Bristol is near impossible to get to AG - and i doubt many people would fancy walking round the centre after a night game on there own with a BCFC shirt, scarf and hat.

It makes me sick talking what is a proper fan. tell u one thing, sitting in your armchair in Bristol, reading the sun and noticing "oh my team have just bought a 12m striker from Fulham - thats nice.." is a P/T supporter..

Just because i might be at the game P/T does not mean that i am not a F/T supporter.

One more thing, lets not name names, people have their own opinion on whos a real supporter - those that sing, those who shout, those who think DW is a joke - the term supporter is that we support through thick and thin. And believe me, i have been through it.

I met some "True Fans" yesterday. Five loyal Stockport fans who travel home and away watching thier team.

They organize their own transport to the games on a non-profit basis, including fund raising events to top up the coffers. Yesterday they were collecting deposits for their forthcoming fixtures to Brentford and Hartlepool. A steady trickle of "True Fans", young and old, came to hand over their tenners to book thier seats for the trips. All this in the shadow of the two Manchester teams and a stones throw from plenty of "bigger" clubs.

This to me is the "real " football fan.

Archived