IGNORED

Otib Update:

Jay

• Admin

I am interested to know how the Supporters Trust planned on covering the necessary funds when they agreed to take OTIB over from the football club ?

Was there ever a plan on how it would be run, as this all seems a bit desperate at the moment.

As we know there are many other city forums, I wonder how they raise the money to run the site ?

Guest SteveA

I am interested to know how the Supporters Trust planned on covering the necessary funds when they agreed to take OTIB over from the football club ?

Was there ever a plan on how it would be run, as this all seems a bit desperate at the moment.

As we know there are many other city forums, I wonder how they raise the money to run the site ?

Just what I was thinking.

Seems badly planned and thought out.

TomF kinda confirmed it would be around 2k-3k for it to be run so why cant the club pay for it to run but with ST staff. Surely 2k-3k cant be hard for the club to pay.

Just seems like a PR stunt for it too seem ST are getting power but it really it comes down to the club being stingy and not giving the fans a offical forum like every other club.

Just what I was thinking.

Seems badly planned and thought out.

TomF kinda confirmed it would be around 2k-3k for it to be run so why cant the club pay for it to run but with ST staff. Surely 2k-3k cant be hard for the club to pay.

Just seems like a PR stunt for it too seem ST are getting power but it really it comes down to the club being stingy and not giving the fans a offical forum like every other club.

It may help if you read the very first post in this thread. It does kind of explain where this has come from and also some of the background.

It has been bubbling away for some time and is nothing new. Several months ago (and there were numerous threads on the subject) various options for funding OTIB were discussed. A lot of people were opposed to advertising on the forum. It was hoped that sufficient revenue could be raised either through donations or the shopping forum. This isn't happening and so we are once again looking at the alternatives.

It is very unlikely that the club will pay for or get involved with the forum again. The reason they wanted to distance themselves from the forum and hand the running over to the Trust was the potential harm it was doing to new and existing sponsors when officially linked to the club.

Well I asked why is this different to other clubs because I'm pretty sure alot of forums have 'Ask SteveL' forums and get abuse. They could of closed the 'Ask SteveL' forum instead of releasing the whole forum. Have any other forums been disowned by their clubs?

Steve

Tom F may be the best person to answer this but I'll have a go. Tom or someone else may be able to correct me later.

Most club's forums are part of their official website. OTIB is slightly diiferent as it was set up independently to the website but adopted by the club as being an "official" forum. The club paid the hosting costs and the club's media dept basically ran it. The £6k that you heard talked about is the estimated amount of money that the ST is saving the club in staff resource costs used in looking after the day to day running of the forum.

Over the years some posts on here were seen by the club as being porentially damaging to either existing sponspors or potentila ones. For example, when BTC took over shirt sponsorship from DAS.

As a result the club decided to withdraw the "official" status but rather than let the forum die offered to let the Trust run the forum. Some will argue otherwise but the forum has become more relaxed since the club relinquished control.

The stark reality is that unless the money is raised to pay the hosting costs the forum will probably die as Tom F has said in aearlier post. Unfortunately that is a fact and not really up for debate.

Guest SteveA

Steve

Tom F may be the best person to answer this but I'll have a go. Tom or someone else may be able to correct me later.

Most club's forums are part of their official website. OTIB is slightly diiferent as it was set up independently to the website but adopted by the club as being an "official" forum. The club paid the hosting costs and the club's media dept basically ran it. The £6k that you heard talked about is the estimated amount of money that the ST is saving the club in staff resource costs used in looking after the day to day running of the forum.

Over the years some posts on here were seen by the club as being porentially damaging to either existing sponspors or potentila ones. For example, when BTC took over shirt sponsorship from DAS.

As a result the club decided to withdraw the "official" status but rather than let the forum die offered to let the Trust run the forum. Some will argue otherwise but the forum has become more relaxed since the club relinquished control.

The stark reality is that unless the money is raised to pay the hosting costs the forum will probably die as Tom F has said in aearlier post. Unfortunately that is a fact and not really up for debate.

Thank you very much tompo, just what I wanted.

• Admin

Thanks for the replies Tompo, one thing I can't get my head around is the fact that the club basically had a moderator covering this site on a full time basis (or should have), if there was ANYTHING damaging that appeared surely that post is just removed, then the poster dealt with accordingly (IE a warning / baning).

I can't believe any SERIOUS invester would be that worried what a couple of posters on an internet forum would be saying anyway !

Could you imagine the MD of BTC coming on OTIB and saying "oh well boys, they don't like our logo so we're going to pull our sponsorship now!"

At the end of the day we live in a country of "free speech" which is often damaging, so the club should realise that it is always easier to post moans etc than praises !

Thanks for the replies Tompo, one thing I can't get my head around is the fact that the club basically had a moderator covering this site on a full time basis (or should have), if there was ANYTHING damaging that appeared surely that post is just removed, then the poster dealt with accordingly (IE a warning / baning).

I can't believe any SERIOUS invester would be that worried what a couple of posters on an internet forum would be saying anyway !

Could you imagine the MD of BTC coming on OTIB and saying "oh well boys, they don't like our logo so we're going to pull our sponsorship now!"

At the end of the day we live in a country of "free speech" which is often damaging, so the club should realise that it is always easier to post moans etc than praises !

Agree with what you say but it would be very difficult for the club to have 24/7 mod coverage. If anything the amount of time that the media dept were actually spending on forum duties was part of the problem. Perhaps the club felt their time would have been better employed on other things.

Thats all history now anyway. What we need to focus on now is making sure the forum keeps running.

I think its a good idea although £25 might be a bit high.

According to the stats we have 3852 members. Lets assume that we may lose 50% as the worse possible scenario. That means 1926 members x 25 quid = £48150.00.

A nice profit I agree but when set against costs of around £3000 this could be a tad OTT.

If the cost was say £5 then it would raise £9630 which when set against costs is more realistic.

We must remember that there are kids and students on here who are not working and may not be able to afford £25. We must make it affordable for all.

The forum will still raise some funds via the shopping forum and a little more should limited advertising be allowed.

Remember as well the cheaper it is the less likely we are of losing members and revenue from the shopping forum (less members, less shoppers).

With regards where the profit goes maybe lob them into the money raised by the BFD each year. Just a thought.

Yeah like i said Tone, why i said £25 i don't know.

The mods can work that out.

I still think the service provided is worth at least that!

Lets wait and see mate.

But you will have a choice if you wanted to become a premier member or not. If you do you get to join a lessly moderated forum and if you don't then it will just be the same but with a extra forum that you can't access.

I don't see the harm in that.

There is no harm, and has to be..

Can see Nibor,s point but surley it becomes a matter of choice?

Either pay a small fee or don't become a member?

Also this debate is saying, NO FUNDING NO OTIB, so theres no choice anyway :dunno:

Guest DrFaustus

Lets wait and see mate.

Do us 'welcome guests' from the blue ahem...half of the City have to pay or are you just delighted to have us in your company? :D

Lets wait and see mate.

Agreed

Do us 'welcome guests' from the blue ahem...half of the City have to pay or are you just delighted to have us in your company? :D

Of course you're welcome Doc. Your money is as good as anyone else's :dance:

Guest SteveA

I just feel that if there was a premier forum it could create a kind of 'snobbier'. Like 'My opinion is better then yours because I'm a premier member' or 'I'm a better fan then you because I payed'

Not saying they would all do this but I feel some would.

Just my opinion :)

I use many forums that have premier members areas and it doesnt bother me at all. A good discussion still goes on in the general sections. And if people want to read what is said in the premier members section then that's only a good thing as that could encourage them to sign up as a premier member.

In all fairness 99% of people on here can afford to pay £5 a year if they wished, That's what just over 1p a day.

I very much dislike advertising, It just gets in the way and if there are ways to try and avoid advertisement then they should be explored 1st.

I won't be the most helpful of people on this but i would never pay for a forum and i hardly ever click on advertisin. I think it's representative though,

If there were pop ups a high level blocker couldn't stop i wouldn't be here. Banners at the top and bottom and under the firsts post are absolutely fine by me.

Tom, kill the forum. See if people can be bothered with it.

We are spending a lot of time and energy on this discussion when the alternatives have been clearly stated.

The main choice seems to be between charging individuals or some form of advertising/sponsorship.

A calculation has shown that charging would be insufficient with current users.

With charging, the number of users would decrease - this would be counterproductive.

If advertising/sponsorship can be achieved, this then frees everyone up to use the site.

The figures of £125 for banner and £75 for bottom advertising?sponsorship would solve the income problem outright.

There is general agreement the site is a good one.

Let it continue and grow by accepting the necessary advertising/sponsorship.

I'd be interested to know:

How many members have voluntarily used the 'Donate now' button?

What is the average donation?

Approximately how many users would need to make this 'average' donation to ensure the forum's survival?

I'd rather the forum remained free to use, but when it comes down to it letting it die isn't an option surely? So either advertising, or if necessary paying a small annual fee for extra facilities, would be ok with me.

My thoughts.

Obviously, a free at the point of use forum with no adverts is what most would prefer, but it's clear that's not an option at the moment. I am dead against the idea of any sort of 'premier' membership. It would encourgae some sad individuals to think that their opinions were somehow more worthwhile than others, and would increas the likelihood of factionalism and cliques which has always been a major problem on here anyway.

I would suggest a £5 a year annual membership, across the board, with no 'cost per post' charges. That's nothing, and even schoolkids, students the unemployed and gasheads should be able to find 1.369 pence per day to fund their right to post rubbish on here. If some of the current 6000 membership fall by the wayside, so be it. If there's still a shortfall in funding, then introduce sufficient advertising to cover the difference. Keep the links to the shopping forum and the donate now button, so that shopaholics and those who've just received a nice birthday cheque from auntie Doris can make an extra donation if they really feel the need.

If that doesn't work, then let the forum die. I've been watching reruns of the superb 'I Claudius' on BBC4, and there's an interesting analogy to be drawn between the decline of the forum and that of the Roman Empire. Both sound ideas based on basic democratic principles and the freedom of speech. Rome ultimately foundered on the inherent corrupt and selfish nature of humankind, as well as the vainglorious attitudes of a self appointed elite who wanted to become gods. Quo Vadis Otib?

Archived