IGNORED

Manager Confused?

RedRaw

Looking at the Crowds, it hasn't caught the imagination, but at least it was a try to bring some interest into a competition which at least a league club will win.

People call it a Mickey Mouse trophy, fine - But all English competitions are in the eyes of the big clubs, so why not treat the FA cup with the same distain.

The comical thing is that the two sides that have been fined, have both won!!

I can see the issue from the sponsors point of view-you want clubs taking it seriously.....and they will as the final approaches, as always.

Making it regional should have ensured local derbys.....and, largely, it hasn't and that's something that the FA Cup should look at although the prize money is higher and the tradition far greater.

The early rounds are a pain in the ar$e and if a forward or Basso got injured tonight we'd really be in stook for Saturday.

In fairness to CS, negotiating the bigger prize money probably meant some concessions to thye sponsors and we can't have it both ways.

But all English competitions are in the eyes of the big clubs, so why not treat the FA cup with the same distain.

Because the FA Cup has history and pedigree - and also is a very lucrative competition even in the early rounds.Clevedon Town got an extra £10k just for reaching the 1st round proper.

• Admin

Just had a little look into this new rule and in the hypothetical situation that we now had a fully fit squad to choose from and played the following line-up, we would be subject to a £5000 fine for fielding a "weakened" side as only Carey and Jennison meet the selection criteria when you need 6 to.

Weale

Orr Carey Fontaine Woodman

Wright Noble Russell Myrie-Williams

Brooker Showunmi

Even if we brought in MacAllister for Woody, McCombe for Fontaine and Johnson for Noble, we would STILL fall foul of the selection criteria.

Would anyone think GJ had lost the plot if he selected that side for a League fixture?

Just had a little look into this new rule and in the hypothetical situation that we now had a fully fit squad to choose from and played the following line-up, we would be subject to a £5000 fine for fielding a "weakened" side as only Carey and Jennison meet the selection criteria when you need 6 to.

Weale

Orr Carey Fontaine Woodman

Wright Noble Russell Myrie-Williams

Brooker Showunmi

Even if we brought in MacAllister for Woody, McCombe for Fontaine and Johnson for Noble, we would STILL fall foul of the selection criteria.

Would anyone think GJ had lost the plot if he selected that side for a League fixture?

Yes. It is beyond reason to suggest that Brooker and Showunmi will ever be fit at the same time :whistle:

We should play whatever team we want and then tell the league to piss off if they try and fine us.

With the thin squad we have and the injury worries presently we're quite within our rights to rotate a couple of youngsters in.

I bet GJ would pay £5k right now to not have an injury to Carey or McCombe for example.

We should play whatever team we want and then tell the league to piss off if they try and fine us.

With the thin squad we have and the injury worries presently we're quite within our rights to rotate a couple of youngsters in.

I bet GJ would pay £5k right now to not have an injury to Carey or McCombe for example.

Agreed - in fairness 5K is not a vast amount is it and probably less valuable than the injury risk to key players.

Forest beat Brentford 2-1 tonight in front of 2039 at the City ground.I'll bet Forest lost serious money simply by switching on the floodlights.

It just highlights what a patronising and meaningless competition this tin pot cup is.Hardly anyone remembers who won it last season or the season before.

Simply by being in it reminds us that we are a lower league outfit.

To make matters worse there are now new rules which prevent clubs from fielding a reserve side.They should introduce the same rules to the Carling Cup - that would upset the likes of Man Utd and Arsenal who only take the competition seriously if they reach the semi-finals.

Looking at the attendances last night (especially Cheltenham), I think it is clear that something drastic is needed to catch the imagination, or the competition should be scrapped.

I've racked my brains trying to think of something that would work, like 20/20 in Cricket. I couldn;t think of anything.

Looking at the attendances last night (especially Cheltenham), I think it is clear that something drastic is needed to catch the imagination, or the competition should be scrapped.

I've racked my brains trying to think of something that would work, like 20/20 in Cricket. I couldn;t think of anything.

I've also benn thinking of ways to liven things up and increase the crowds.

And i've come up with this sure fire hit.

How about 20 quid to get in and a free bar!!!!

Gates open at miday which should give people plenty of time to get into the spirit of this massive cup competition.

Anyone else keep thinking of that Multiball Budweiser advert?

Aaaarrrrghhhh!

It's crap, just scrap it and have done.

I've also benn thinking of ways to liven things up and increase the crowds.

And i've come up with this sure fire hit.

How about 20 quid to get in and a free bar!!!!

Gates open at miday which should give people plenty of time to get into the spirit of this massive cup competition.

Absolutely quality idea mate!

Also, as it will remain on paper as unprestigious as ever the ''we're here to watch the game, not sing up and generally go a bit nuts with our mates'' bregade are still as likely or not to attend leaving us lot to be as uncouth and rorcuss as we fancy.

In fact, away fans hardly ever travel (and don't include them in on the deal) so they could shove us all back in thew East End aswell!

'kin quality!

Forcing teams to play first XIs daft. I see what they're trying to do but it could work against you- if City have to play first teamers all the way through the competition then I'd rather we just get knocked out.

If, however, we could field youngsters and play reserves then why would anyone not want their team to progress?

The rule is just a little too complicated I think.

I've got a good idea for the Johnstone's paint trophy to make it popular or at least more interesting. Give it a Uefa cup spot or better yet a champions league place!

Or just pick four names out of a hat and they get to play at Cardiff.

Or play the entire south section in one day, 30 minute matches maybe five a side at say stamford bridge. That way it'd be a full crowd from all the different teams and it wouldn't clog up the fixtures.

Or bring back the anglo italian cup.

And to be honest if GJ's confused by the rules he's a bit thick really...

Or to ultra regionalise it. Mini cup competitions with 6 sides made up by geographical location. These 6 then play for the annual "south West Trophy" if it was City, Rovers ect.

Out of League 1 and 2 this leaves 8 regional winners, so we have the area Semis, area final and then Final.

That way all teams are playing for some local pride in the 3 intitial local rounds and then being so close to a final the area semi's ect would attract interest.

Or to ultra regionalise it. Mini cup competitions with 6 sides made up by geographical location. These 6 then play for the annual "south West Trophy" if it was City, Rovers ect.

Out of League 1 and 2 this leaves 8 regional winners, so we have the area Semis, area final and then Final.

That way all teams are playing for some local pride in the 3 intitial local rounds and then being so close to a final the area semi's ect would attract interest.

Best idea yet. Apart from the mid-day piss-up.

Archived