IGNORED

I've Seen The Future Of Football...

no_merde

Last night I was at a meeting at Stamford Bridge and decided to take the offer up of staying behind to watch the game. The seat I had was in the lower shed - the supposed "rough" area of Stamford Bridge.

I thought this would be a good laugh - a chance to have a few beers and do a bit of singing with the Chelsea lot. It was not. It was absolutely dreadful.

You think Ashton Gate has little atmosphere - Stamford Bridge actually seems to insist you leave it at the gate. When any chances came and went, and people stood up from their seats (I hate seats) you could hear the hinges as the stood up and sat down again! and this was during goal scoring chances and right behind the goal.

In the entire match I counted 7 people trying to get a song going, dotted amongst the supporters - when they chanted "stand up for the champions", only a quarter of the supporters stood up, and they did so as if they were about to get off a bus!

It was like going to an art gallery and watching a exhibition - yeah, the football was of fantastic skill and pace, but the atmosphere was none existent. They might as well knock the stadium down and create a large car park, and just organise games there.

On the other hand the Bulgarian supporters did themselves proud. There's was a maximum of 600 of them and they sang there hearts out.

On the way home on the train I got talking to a Fulham season ticket holder, and he told me that the atmosphere at Craven is 10% what it used to be when they were in the 3rd division a decade ago.

This is one of my first premier ship games in past few years and I was seriously shocked at how sterile it is.

If this is the future, I don't want it. We've got to do something about it. If this is what we've got to look forward to with our national game, I'd rather move to Bulgaria. :ranting:

Last night I was at a meeting at Stamford Bridge and decided to take the offer up of staying behind to watch the game. The seat I had was in the lower shed - the supposed "rough" area of Stamford Bridge.

I thought this would be a good laugh - a chance to have a few beers and do a bit of singing with the Chelsea lot. It was not. It was absolutely dreadful.

You think Ashton Gate has little atmosphere - Stamford Bridge actually seems to insist you leave it at the gate. When any chances came and went, and people stood up from their seats (I hate seats) you could hear the hinges as the stood up and sat down again! and this was during goal scoring chances and right behind the goal.

In the entire match I counted 7 people trying to get a song going, dotted amongst the supporters - when they chanted "stand up for the champions", only a quarter of the supporters stood up, and they did so as if they were about to get off a bus!

It was like going to an art gallery and watching a exhibition - yeah, the football was of fantastic skill and pace, but the atmosphere was none existent. They might as well knock the stadium down and create a large car park, and just organise games there.

On the other hand the Bulgarian supporters did themselves proud. There's was a maximum of 600 of them and they sang there hearts out.

On the way home on the train I got talking to a Fulham season ticket holder, and he told me that the atmosphere at Craven is 10% what it used to be when they were in the 3rd division a decade ago.

This is one of my first premier ship games in past few years and I was seriously shocked at how sterile it is.

If this is the future, I don't want it. We've got to do something about it. If this is what we've got to look forward to with our national game, I'd rather move to Bulgaria. :ranting:

Was watching the game on TV and never noticed any noise from the Chelsea lot. A couple of years back I went to the Zola testamonial and that produced a good atmosphere. Maybe they made an exception that day?!?

As for the foreigners, they're always wild, went and watched the Arsenal play CSKA at the Emitrates and they seemed to not shut up all game! Damn Russians! They must of thought it was a summers evening that night, I tell thee it weren't, it was proper freezing!

Was watching the game on TV and never noticed any noise from the Chelsea lot. A couple of years back I went to the Zola testamonial and that produced a good atmosphere. Maybe they made an exception that day?!?

As for the foreigners, they're always wild, went and watched the Arsenal play CSKA at the Emitrates and they seemed to not shut up all game! Damn Russians! They must of thought it was a summers evening that night, I tell thee it weren't, it was proper freezing!

I guess it was probably just the polonium-210 keeping them warm :w00t:

Been to Villa (for my sins) a few times and they are quiet until they score. I went a few years back when Bobby Robson was in charge of Newcastle and Villa thumped them 4-2. The atmosphere was excellent. But a few weeks later they played Liverpool and drew 1-1 and it was awful.

MM

Interesting.....so its not just AG thats often lacking atmosphere,even Premiership giants have the same problem.Maybe its something to do with all seater stadiums.

Maybe the EE activists should put thier energies into lobbying the goverment into reveiwing the Taylor report as well.

I went to Stamford bridge for an FA cup game vs Huddersfield last season and was shocked at how quiet the Chelsea fans were. I appreciate H'field was not a particularly imprtant game for them but the ground was full!

In a bar aftewards,I got chatting to a Chelsea fan who had been going for years,even remembered playing us in the old div 1. He said it was had been like that since Abramovich took over and the 'glory boys' supporters arrived. he also said most of the supporters of the pre-Abramovich era tend to go away and don't go to home games because of the crap atmosphere and the rediculous prices.

sound familiar?

Interesting.....so its not just AG thats often lacking atmosphere,even Premiership giants have the same problem.Maybe its something to do with all seater stadiums.

Maybe the EE activists should put thier energies into lobbying the goverment into reveiwing the Taylor report as well.

First, where does it say in the Taylor report that the east end should only be open to away fans :dunno: Second, maybe the S.C should lobby the goverment, this would mean they would have to actually do something though and a substantail few members would have to approach you first of course. :ermm:

Sorry but we are not a bunch of storm troopers, just normal fans who in our own opinions think the E.E open to all would actually be good for our club :city:

Interesting..... So theres a recognised lack of atmosphere problem at AG,

Premiership giants have the same problem....

Maybe its something to do with ALL SEATER Stadiums, ....

MAYBE there are other clubs out there who have fans who arent yet ready to just roll over, who havent yet quite had all the stuffing & passion knocked out of them FANS LIKE THE EAST END 'ACTIVISTS' (its odd how when SOME people mention the word 'Activist' it sounds more like the mean 'Anarchist' ) ordinary fans who have already got off their butts to represent their & their fellow fans feelings -(cos official supporter representation seems strangely reluctant to do so...for whatever reason!)...

MAYBE its time for OFFICIAL SUPPORTERS CLUB REPRESENTATIVES to represent firstly their own clubs fans - & then seek out their counterparts in other clubs who have similar 'Atmospheric' problems - examine/identify the reasons behind it, draw up some solutions/recommendations & put their collective energies into lobbying the Government...! as well.

(of course, sometimes in individual cases the 'atmospheric' problems/solutions may be glaringly obvious & already identified by the Clubs supporters, -in which case MAYBE anyone in a position to help sort those problems would be all to willing to put their weight behind supporting their supporters & stating the case... wouldnt they R R ? ) ;)

....One more thing, its often quoted on here that the Supporters Club exists solely to provide & donate money for Bristol City FC, thats fine but like all football clubs nowadays BCFC is a business (not unlike cinemas/theatres etc its an entertainment business & they get all their funding by providing services their customers want -unlike football clubs they don't get extras donated to them out of sentiment & loyalty) so what would be wrong in asking that some of the (extra)money raised by Bristol City Supporters and donated to the 'business' side of the club be used to offset the percieved 'extra costs' involved in providing what so many of its customers want...ie Access to the EAST END?...

Most grounds are lacking atmosphere... but... WE are in a position to actually try and change that at OUR ground, if the East End was opened WE would have an atmosphere

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves

I remember going to SB, before the ground was redeveloped & the Shed was a real place to fear.

The atmosphere from all parts of the ground was electric.

Yes, all seater has had an effect.

But Chelski has become a tourist attraction. Full of overseas visitors.

True fans are priced out of most 'non' Premiership games & it's full of Chinese, Russians etc etc.

We have to set our sites in the direction of Reading, Southamton etc.

New grounds that still attract true fans that bring good atmosphere.

Guest Jan Mollars Gloves
MAYBE its time for OFFICIAL SUPPORTERS CLUB REPRESENTATIVES to represent firstly their own clubs fans - & then seek out their counterparts in other clubs who have similar 'Atmospheric' problems - examine/identify the reasons behind it, draw up some solutions/recommendations & put their collective energies into lobbying the Government...! as well.

(of course, sometimes in individual cases the 'atmospheric' problems/solutions may be glaringly obvious & already identified by the Clubs supporters, -in which case MAYBE anyone in a position to help sort those problems would be all to willing to put their weight behind supporting their supporters & stating the case... wouldnt they R R ? ) ;)

While I totally agree with your points, I don't think anything will disrupt the cozy relationship the SC & ST have with the board.

I understand that representatives of the SC & ST attend board meetings & give their views on fan related issues (ticket prices etc etc) And these individual views are deemed to be the voice of the fans.

It clearly isn't & as said before, with the SC now having 4000 members, surely it is time it represented it's members & open up far better communications.

I used to work with a chap whos new boss was a chelski fan so he went to watch them regularly, though he didn't support anyone in particular.

The last time i saw him was in the EAST END at half time, during one of the first games after it was reopened. He had a couple of mates who were CITY fans so he went with them to see what the lower leagues were like.

He was absolutely buzzing. He couldn't believe how much better than the bridge the atmosphere was, even though it was two leagues lower!!

I saw him in there a couple more times that season, but i haven't seen him since!!!

While I totally agree with your points, I don't think anything will disrupt the cozy relationship the SC & ST have with the board.

I understand that representatives of the SC & ST attend board meetings & give their views on fan related issues (ticket prices etc etc) And these individual views are deemed to be the voice of the fans.

It clearly isn't & as said before, with the SC now having 4000 members, surely it is time it represented it's members & open up far better communications.

personally Ive not seen anything that causes me to want to question the S T or the people working hard to get it firmly established, it seems to me to be in the interests of the Fans & run by the fans obviously with City@heart... I cant honestly say I get the same feeling about the S C or its leadership -judging in all fairness only by comments Ive read on the forum... not seen much supporter support from them..

WE are in a position to actually try and change that at OUR ground, if the East End was opened WE would have an atmosphere

That is pure speculation.No-one has any evidence that opening the EE would improve the atmosphere at AG - particularly if the team is not performing in any particular game..

Personally,I believe its down to the players to play well enough to encourage the fans to get behind them.That to me makes all the difference.I feel more inclined to join in with a chant/song when the lads are putting on a show and I feel more inclined to whinge and complain when they are struggling.

Wrong way around you might say but after decades of relative City obscurity, its all I know.

That is pure speculation.No-one has any evidence that opening the EE would improve the atmosphere at AG - particularly if the team is not performing in any particular game..

Scientifically proven or not, the re-opening of The East End to Bristol City fans would improve the atmosphere at Ashton Gate, this is not even open for debate.

According to you and other EE activists.

'Not even open for debate' is not a very balanced statement.

If you want to believe there's cheese on the moon then you believe away mate. Just don't expect to engage in debate with me over it, that's all I'm saying.

Guest North Street

Two thousand acoustic experts say different.

If you want to believe there's cheese on the moon then you believe away mate. Just don't expect to engage in debate with me over it, that's all I'm saying.

So you have a rigid and fixed view about the EE that is not receptive to logical arguement?

Some would call that bigotry.

So you have a rigid and fixed view about the EE that is not receptive to logical arguement?

Some would call that bigotry.

Ok, your 'logical argument' that the EE would not necessarilly improve the atmosphere at AG but it is purely down to the players performances has been considered.

- I remember watching crap games in the EE 3 years ago, most notably the 0-2 reverse to Chesterfield. The atmosphere that night was probably 30 times better than it was last night.

- If, as you suggest, the atmosphere is mainly dependent on players' performances, why was there a crescendo of noise long before a ball was kicked? (when the EE was open)

- Did Brian Tinnion not make positive comments about the vocal support from the EE when it was open?

There we go, back-tracked on my word and engaged in a rediculous debate with you, happy now?

Where were these 2000 'acoustic experts' on Tuesday night??

I suspect spread around the ground, stifled by sitting next to people who are more interested in the temperature of their half time pie than singing.

Each to their own, but the fact remains the East End gives an outlet for likeminded individuals who want to be pro-active in their support of the players and club.

I suspect spread around the ground, stifled by sitting next to people who are more interested in the temperature of their half time pie than singing.

Each to their own, but the fact remains the East End gives an outlet for likeminded individuals who want to be pro-active in their support of the players and club.

Ashton Gate is rarely more than 65% full for home matches, why can't you and like minded people arrange to sit in the same area of the ground?

It only takes a phone call to sit together, Surely that would be more pro-active than a thousand threads and the constant insults of our Chaiman and other forum users.

Guest North Street
Ashton Gate is rarely more than 65% full for home matches, why can't you and like minded people arrange to sit in the same area of the ground?

It only takes a phone call to sit together, Surely that would be more pro-active than a thousand threads and the constant insults of our Chaiman and other forum users.

http://www.subcider.co.uk/subb/download/Fo...0the%20Fans.doc

Yes, I'm going to phone thousands of strangers, what a brilliant suggestion. Maybe you could work for the UN and sort out Iraq. Tool.

Anyway, to take your post apart

"Ashton Gate is rarely more than 65% full for home matches, why can't you and like minded people arrange to sit in the same area of the ground? "

The clubs stance is that the Atyeo is where us "like minded people" should gather. The Atyeo is virtually full of season ticket holders, making it hard to provide a realistic space.

Over the past 3 years the subbers have tried to utilise an empty block in the Williams, a nearly empty block in the Dolman and neither area has attracted an open East End does. I have remained in the Williams, and we could fit hundreds in E and F block. It wont happen because (1.) The club wont want such an area next to away fans and (2.) So close to the tranquillity of the premier club.

"Surely that would be more pro-active than...."

But not as proactive as a petition and well received report though eh?

" constant insults of our Chaiman"

If he ran the club better I'm sure he would not receive so much criticism.

"and other forum users."

Those that fish deserve all they get.

Archived