IGNORED

Grant Holt

RedTop

Oh yes, you do and if you look back over the last 2/3 seasons, it runs into millions

I don't know much about City's finances, so I'm not about to pontificate on them. I suggest you do the same as regards Forest as you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Or are you going to tell me all about how we sold JJ, Dawson, Reid, Harewood etc to finance signings? If you are, I suggest you do a bit of research before I make you look silly.

I don't know much about City's finances, so I'm not about to pontificate on them. I suggest you do the same as regards Forest as you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Or are you going to tell me all about how we sold JJ, Dawson, Reid, Harewood etc to finance signings? If you are, I suggest you do a bit of research before I make you look silly.

Please feel free to make me look silly.

It'll be about as silly as suggesting that you don't need money to finance signings.......everyone (well apart from Chelsea and they must wish they'd never let Huth & Gallas leave without first finding suitable replacements) does at this level and the info I've got is from well informed FOREST FANS on your own Forum and messageboards.It doesn't make sense to sell Holt for any other reason.

I'd be amazed if Forest couldn't buy any player in this league except Sharp without selling anyone should it take their fancy.

20,000 people paying over £20 every week will do wonders for your cash flow.

Saying they need to sell Holt to finance buying Hoskins is wildly inaccurate IMO.

Please feel free to make me look silly.

It'll be about as silly as suggesting that you don't need money to finance signings.......everyone (well apart from Chelsea and they must wish they'd never let Huth & Gallas leave without first finding suitable replacements) does at this level and the info I've got is from well informed FOREST FANS on your own Forum and messageboards.It doesn't make sense to sell Holt for any other reason.

How do you know how well informed the fans our forum (which one, by the way?) are? And is that actually your theory, the fact that we have sold millions of pounds of talent in order to finance our spending? No consideration for the fact that possibly they had all reached the stage of being good enough for the Premiership and were unlikely to get there any time soon with us?

A wealthy chairman, no debt (at least none that's repayable until Forest are in the Premiership) and as Nibor says, average crowds of 20K paying an average of £20 a game make us pretty wealthy for this level.

If we sell Holt, and I've no idea whether we will, then it will be because the manager doesn't rate him, and no-one wants a disruptive influence in the dressing room. If Carlisle do bid £175K, then I can virtually guarantee he'll go there, even if you bid £300K. Holt's a massive Carlisle fan and would crawl over broken glass to play for them; he'd just turn down the move to Bristol and leave Forest with the choice of accepting the Carlisle bid or paying him to be miserable.

He might come to you, he might not. We might have a few we want to get rid of because they don't fit the team, but we don't need to sell anyone. Trust me on this.

How do you know how well informed the fans our forum (which one, by the way?) are? And is that actually your theory, the fact that we have sold millions of pounds of talent in order to finance our spending? No consideration for the fact that possibly they had all reached the stage of being good enough for the Premiership and were unlikely to get there any time soon with us?

A wealthy chairman, no debt (at least none that's repayable until Forest are in the Premiership) and as Nibor says, average crowds of 20K paying an average of £20 a game make us pretty wealthy for this level.

If we sell Holt, and I've no idea whether we will, then it will be because the manager doesn't rate him, and no-one wants a disruptive influence in the dressing room. If Carlisle do bid £175K, then I can virtually guarantee he'll go there, even if you bid £300K. Holt's a massive Carlisle fan and would crawl over broken glass to play for them; he'd just turn down the move to Bristol and leave Forest with the choice of accepting the Carlisle bid or paying him to be miserable.

He might come to you, he might not. We might have a few we want to get rid of because they don't fit the team, but we don't need to sell anyone. Trust me on this.

I'm sure your right but you need to understand that you are arguing with someone who is never wrong (at least in his own world).

I'd be amazed if Forest couldn't buy any player in this league except Sharp without selling anyone should it take their fancy.

Of course, if a team was willing to sell, which is the other side of the coin,we might test that theory but I'd be amazed if you see Forest splash serious cash without selling.

20,000 people paying over £20 every week will do wonders for your cash flow.

It's every other week and take the VAT out then look at the demands on that cash, size of squad, wage bill, contract settlements etc and it might not go as far as you thought.Look at Wolves & Leeds bigger or similar crowds, no money for major signings

Saying they need to sell Holt to finance buying Hoskins is wildly inaccurate IMO.

We'll differ on that....and watch a player arrive within a week or so of Holt leaving

Then answer these:

1.Why would they sell us their top scorer?

2.Why sell their top scorer when, by his own admission, he's very happy in Nottm and he didn't want to leave?

3.Why, when the Holt deal fell through, did they not sign anyone when it was widely rumoured that Hoskins was on his way?

1.Why would they sell us their top scorer?

2.Why sell their top scorer when, by his own admission, he's very happy in Nottm and he didn't want to leave?

Same reason we gave Stewart to Yeovil.

3.Why, when the Holt deal fell through, did they not sign anyone when it was widely rumoured that Hoskins was on his way?

You answered your own question with the word "rumoured".

Forest have double the turnover of any other club at this level. Their wage bill is pretty slimmed down now and their debts covered by player sales over the last 3 or 4 years. If they want to sign Hoskins they can do it without selling. More likely they won't because they already have enough striking options.

Balls. We don't need to sell anyone to finance signings. Not saying Holt won't come to BC, but now he's a regular in the side it's less likely than it was before.

But now he's a regular in a losing side. So perhaps it's more likely? :whistle2:

How do you know how well informed the fans our forum (which one, by the way?) are?

Clearly you have as many divvies as we do......some have been on here lately, prior to the Oldham game.I'm talking about people I started communicating with after the last saga over Holt.

And is that actually your theory, the fact that we have sold millions of pounds of talent in order to finance our spending? No consideration for the fact that possibly they had all reached the stage of being good enough for the Premiership and were unlikely to get there any time soon with us?

In truth, it's probably both, with some additional factors like working capital and wages added in.

There is no doubt that those major sales financed your moves for Tyson & Holt (£900k) and I can't see any board saying, "yes go ahead CC, bring in another striker, when we already have six senior pros." They may be rich, so's our owner/Chairman, but that doesn't mean he'll throw money at players we want willy, nilly.Of course, once players have a chance to move on to a higher level it's impossible to stop them and that's why over £4m quids worth have left here in the last season and a half

A wealthy chairman,

Snap

no debt (at least none that's repayable until Forest are in the Premiership)

Not for a while then, Bob :D

and as Nibor says,

He said we wouldn't sign a big striker in the close season......enter Showumni

average crowds of 20K paying an average of £20 a game make us pretty wealthy for this level.

At this level yes, but your squad is big and so is the wage bill however, taking it as read that your wealthy and don't need to sell, on that basis, why not just buy Keogh & Sharp with an offer of say-£4-5m that S****horpe with gates of under 5,000, couldn't refuse?

I mean, if you've go no debt and all that cash available, why not just buy the best and moreover, players who could compete at the next level and/or move on if you ever did need to sell? Makes sense to me!

If we sell Holt, and I've no idea whether we will, then it will be because the manager doesn't rate him, and no-one wants a disruptive influence in the dressing room.

And that comes back to what I said and we went through a similar, not identical, situation with Stewart

If Carlisle do bid £175K, then I can virtually guarantee he'll go there, even if you bid £300K. Holt's a massive Carlisle fan and would crawl over broken glass to play for them; he'd just turn down the move to Bristol and leave Forest with the choice of accepting the Carlisle bid or paying him to be miserable.

And CC seems like the sort of bloke who'd let him rot as opposed to give in to him.Having said that, if Holt doesn't want to come here then fine, sign someone else.One volunteer and all that.

If you say so Bob, to be honest as long as we get a striker and a left winger in the window, I'll be happy enough.........PS, How much do you want for Commons? :whistle2:

2 Very quick points on this that may well be worth thinking about.

1. Holt is cup-tied having played for Forest against Salisbury - so I don't forsee him coming until maybe mid January (if he does come)

2. Reagring Brooker - some people were saying that he didn't play agaisnt Gillngham because we didn't wish for him to be cup tied and detract potential clubs. I personally think this is absolute rubbish and fully expect Steve to be named in the squad on saturday and to still be here come May.

He said we wouldn't sign a big striker in the close season......enter Showumni

Nope.

You said we'd sign a target man, I said don't count on it. Showunmi isn't a target man, he wins bugger all in the air and can't play with his back to the goal - he's better running at goal.

Besides which, you have have an unfair advantage of me what with your hobby involving hanging around motorway service stations!

At this level yes, but your squad is big and so is the wage bill however, taking it as read that your wealthy and don't need to sell, on that basis, why not just buy Keogh & Sharp with an offer of say-£4-5m that S****horpe with gates of under 5,000, couldn't refuse?

I mean, if you've go no debt and all that cash available, why not just buy the best and moreover, players who could compete at the next level and/or move on if you ever did need to sell? Makes sense to me!

Value for money.

Forest don't need to sell anyone to sign players that will go for a few hundred grand. I didn't see them doing it when they signed Agogo, Holt, Tyson, Breckin or Smith - did you?

I'd agree that you probably don't HAVE to sell him from a finiancial point of view, so I presume its the team harmony aspect that is the deciding factor?

No matter how big a Carlisle fan he is, you hardly ever see decent players make the downsizing option at that stage of their careers. I doubt very much given a straight choice that he will let his heart overrule his ambition, and I would very much expect us to be a championship side before them.

I'd be quite happy to see him alongside Steve Brooker, quite a Shearer and Sutton partnership!!! Defences watch out, a combination to be feared...

All I'm saying is, that Jermaine Easter wanted to sign but Johnson didn't like his personality.

Holt refused to sign because of his wife being pregnant....but Johnson will try to sign him again? I can't see it but would be more than happy to eat my words if he does sign & I just hope he would be totally committed.

I thought it was Freddy Eastwood???

Did you not know this is a forum, just passing on info to the City fans

IMO we can do much better than Grant Holt - especially as he clearly isn't well motivated to join us, following his earlier comments about his missus not wanting to come to Bristol!

Archived