IGNORED

Grant Holt

RedTop

IMO we can do much better than Grant Holt - especially as he clearly isn't well motivated to join us, following his earlier comments about his missus not wanting to come to Bristol!

what comments?

I recall the comments from Holt when we tried to sign him before that his wife was set to give Birth within 2 weeks and they didn't want to move anywhere at that moment, which is totally understandable.

to which gary responded, we have spoken to him and we will possibly make another move in Jan?

My eternal faith in GJ makes me feel this is someone that could hbe really good for us. My reasons follow.

1. GJ likes people with a good attitude.

2. Often after a "initial meeting" GJ has his mind made up about someone.

3. Even after rejecting an offer ( due to the misses ) GJ is still not put off.

I can't help but see this as a positive thing. GJ must be confident he will work for us otherwise hes setting him self up for such a massive ammount of abuse ala " cant believe GJ chased that fat lump for 3/4/5/6 months, he's rubbish ! ". I can see it already.

Looks like we're going to sign Grant Holt after all, according to reports. £300k is the supposed figure. A colleague who is a Forest fan is not happy about it and reckons they're mad to be selling him, which is a good sign I guess. Says he's got a good attitude and is a real handful.

Still a hell of a lot of money, in my opinion. Personally I don't think we should be splashing out so much when we are skint - but I guess at least those of you who still insist on accusing Steve L of lacking ambition or having short arms and deep pockets can no longer complain!

Just to put the record straight, over the past 6/7 seasons, we have consistently received more in player transfer fees than we have paid, and this season will be no different, not by a long way. So anyone looking at that in isolation would be perfectly entitled to make comments about the lack of money being spent on players, and spending a couple of hundred grand would not change that fact.

However its not as simple as that.

The money which we spend has nothing to do with Steve's ambition, short arms, or long pockets etc, because we can only spend what we have - unless Steve is about to donate large sums to the club, which to date he hasn't and there is no reason why he should. Unless you count ploughing more share capital into the club as a donation.

The fundamental problem is not the amount which Steve does or doesnt spend on players, its the trading losses which are consistently being incurred every year - I would guess far more than any other club in this division, and yet we have much bigger attendances and spin-offs from that than most.

And finally I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about whether any new players are bought. For me, the most enjoyable time for watching football at AG in recent seasons was 3/4 years ago when we regularly had 6/7 local born academy graduates starting, and more on the bench too.

Pawel Abbott for one.

Please don't do that, l was drinking tea......

Ok, scoring record isnt that bad ''THIS'' season.

Holt is scoring at the moment and in this league. He would be a great signing and one that has proved himself, £200,000 is a bargin if true.

Not happy about it are they..... ha ha

Holt

League One | Nottingham Forest

by Turtlewax 03 January 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that the Holt to Bristol City talks have opened up again. According to the Sun (so it must be true) this is a done deal. Why would Forest transfer our top scorer to one of our closest rivals. It baffles me! I hear he's going for 200,000 pounds and a couple of used corner flags. At least they could sell him to another team in another league, where he won't come back to haunt us. Do Forest have a death wish? We aren't doing that well right now and the only player that seems to know where the net is, is Holtie, come on Colin give the fans a break!

send to a friend | complain about this article

Latest comments

Read members' comments or add your own

comment by bobbylarsson

posted 1 Hour Ago

If this goes through I will be disgusted! Holtie scores goals (Crewe and Vale) and then the next game is asked to play wide in this silly formation! I'm baffled too! Its crazy but thats our football club at present!

add comment | complain about this comment

comment by Raven-NFFC

posted 23 Minutes Ago

He's really not interested in going to Bristol City he' setteld here got a baby and all that jazz so unless he was to commute i really can't see it happening. Let's face what has Bristol got to offer anyway.

comment by Bruntongoldfish

posted 11 Minutes Ago

This is just too bizarre, it could only have come from the Sun! If anything, Grant has improved since the last time Bristol City tried to get him, so why would Forest want to sell him for £100k less now? On New Years eve it was announced that Carlisle had signed a big striker, everyone here assumed it was Holt and the manager did nothing to stop the rumour. It turned out to be Danny Graham from Middlesborough (who?). The moral of the story is believe nothing until it is official.

Please don't do that, l was drinking tea......

Ok, scoring record isnt that bad ''THIS'' season.

Holt is scoring at the moment and in this league. He would be a great signing and one that has proved himself, £200,000 is a bargin if true.

Abbott has scored a buckful of goals in this league before and may now need a fresh start away from struggling Huddersfield. He is also out of contract in the summer and therefore a nominal fee may be all that is required.

Whilst Holt has been good since his arrival in league one, I'm not convinced he's what we need up front.

Guest mesa boogie
So the person you were with read it out to you?

I came out with a witty responce to this about him having something in his mouth, it was deleted...

Tom, it was only a refresher chew bar.

Abbott has scored a buckful of goals in this league before and may now need a fresh start away from struggling Huddersfield. He is also out of contract in the summer and therefore a nominal fee may be all that is required.

Whilst Holt has been good since his arrival in league one, I'm not convinced he's what we need up front.

I agree. Too similar to Enoch and Brooker for me, unless we are getting rid of someone, which I doubt. Not a big fan of Holt, I think he will encourage us to keep the ball in the air, that I think we have done all to often this season anyway. Abbot is someone who can play on the ground a bit too.

Just to put the record straight, over the past 6/7 seasons, we have consistently received more in player transfer fees than we have paid, and this season will be no different, not by a long way. So anyone looking at that in isolation would be perfectly entitled to make comments about the lack of money being spent on players, and spending a couple of hundred grand would not change that fact.

However its not as simple as that.

The money which we spend has nothing to do with Steve's ambition, short arms, or long pockets etc, because we can only spend what we have - unless Steve is about to donate large sums to the club, which to date he hasn't and there is no reason why he should. Unless you count ploughing more share capital into the club as a donation.

The fundamental problem is not the amount which Steve does or doesnt spend on players, its the trading losses which are consistently being incurred every year - I would guess far more than any other club in this division, and yet we have much bigger attendances and spin-offs from that than most.

And finally I'm not in the slightest bit bothered about whether any new players are bought. For me, the most enjoyable time for watching football at AG in recent seasons was 3/4 years ago when we regularly had 6/7 local born academy graduates starting, and more on the bench too.

:clapping:

GOOD POST

...ITS ON OFFICIAL SITE NOW!

Whoops, so sorry folks... my mistake, I was chatting to pikey Pete the bloke doing my drive misheard him... apparently he said .. he saw it in a porta-loo on the OFFICIAL 'TRAVELLERS' SITE hes staying on somewhere near Swindon, sorry for any inconveniece caused.. :)

hmm, thats strange, gave Pikey Pete and his mate their money & they said they're 'just popping down the shop for a Mars bar, be back in 5 mins' ... that was almost an hour ago, wonder why they took their shovels & wheel barrow with 'em to the shop? ohh the rollers gone too, well, cant be too careful with tools nowadays I suppose, they left a couple of bucketfuls of blackstuff by the gate though so I guess they'll be back in a bit. :)

(btw.. I was hoping to get Holt myself, I filled in all the paperwork & everything - sadly it all fell through when the DSS refused my Grant application & I wasnt interested in a loan deal.)

Guest mesa boogie
A refresher chew bar? That's disgusting!! This post should be deleted immediately!!

It could have been worse!? Imagine if it had been a Wham!

:disapointed2se:

...interesting to note that Grant Holt is labelled "Mr Useless" by one of Forest's own fans,on their website!

That doesn't really mean too much though IMO. Forums are full of divided opinion. For example, anyone reading this forum in the past week or so will be able to find people the really like & those that really dislike Lee Johnson. IF we sign Holt, we need to have faith in GJ & hope that he's studied him well & feels that he'll be a worthy, valuable addition to the squad.

Archived