IGNORED

Kevin Betsy.....any further news? (merged)

GeoTheCiderHead

Sky News were showing the Chelsea/Wycombe highlights repeatedly yesterday.

They made a point of saying what a great game Betsy had, not very opportune for us if the deal wasn't finalised.

Quite possible other club's have been alerted by his performance and this has put a late spanner in the works. :angry:

As could Easters sale.

It confirms Wycombe have accepted our bid. I guess personal terms, medical, offers from Championship clubs could still prevent him signing for us.

Betsy's a right winger (a very good one), pacy, skilful and adaptable.

The one thing I don't get in all this is if he's so good but in his late twenties why is he only at Wycombe ?

Nope :ph34r:

Although a short term deal for Winters could be a possible soloution in the short term with SB & PJ injured and Andrews & Betsy cup tied!!

I've thought about the Winters situation but I was wondering if he would want to sign a short term deal and take himself out of the transfer window ? Maybe a deal until the end of the season - much depends on whether GJ has anyone else lined up.

As could Easters sale.

It that actually happening or just agent talk?

Seems to be the same kind of 'interest' from the big clubs as has been shown in Billy Sharp; i.e. they'd all like to have him, but no one is making any moves.

Anyway, £1.5 million for Sharp (20 years old, six months left on his contract, 20 goals this term & consistant throughout his career) or £1 million for Easter (25 years old, less than half way through his contract, 20 goals this term but inconsistant throughout his career)?

I know who I would choose.

I've thought about the Winters situation but I was wondering if he would want to sign a short term deal and take himself out of the transfer window ? Maybe a deal until the end of the season - much depends on whether GJ has anyone else lined up.

As you say, it depends on who else may be coming and the fitness of those here/I think Andrews has proved that it is still possible to bring in effective players in the short term.

The one thing I don't get in all this is if he's so good but in his late twenties why is he only at Wycombe ?

He started off at Fulham, and has played for Barnsley among others. I think he ended up at Wycombe after injury problems. He's proved himself there, and now seems to be coming back to his level. We are signing a very good player, who could make the step up to the Championship no problem.

Plenty of examples about his talent here http://www.gasroom.co.uk/

I don't really know why he signed for us either other than we were offering big wedge (reportedly 3k a week) - I think Oldham wanted him to take a pay cut at the time, and we just happened to get in there first.

Anyway, he can easily handle L1, will skin most left backs for fun and put some decent crosses in. L1 defences are a bit better than the basement, but not much.

If any of your fans are moaning c**ts (I'm sure they're not) then expect to hear plenty of whinges that he doesn't track back enough, doesn't shoot enough, etc., but then those aren't really his strengths.

I don't really know why he signed for us either other than we were offering big wedge (reportedly 3k a week) - I think Oldham wanted him to take a pay cut at the time, and we just happened to get in there first.

Anyway, he can easily handle L1, will skin most left backs for fun and put some decent crosses in. L1 defences are a bit better than the basement, but not much.

If any of your fans are moaning c**ts (I'm sure they're not) then expect to hear plenty of whinges that he doesn't track back enough, doesn't shoot enough, etc., but then those aren't really his strengths.

As a wide player he'll have to track back for us and the way Scott Murray is playing,plus our injury problems, he may well start out as a striker.

So who's the other one ? I hate feeling left out ...

Will we be pleased ? Position ?

I'd like to think we are seriously looking at Clayton Donaldson from York. I thought he looked good against us but may be too expensive with York wanting £500,000 for him, I suppose it depends on how much of the Cotterill money we are thinking about spending.

I'd like to think we are seriously looking at Clayton Donaldson from York. I thought he looked good against us but may be too expensive with York wanting £500,000 for him, I suppose it depends on how much of the Cotterill money we are thinking about spending.

I can tell you as fact he will only leave for 'stupid money', which is around £500,000 with at least half up front. That is York City's 'official' line as of sunday night. They really believe that his goals could take them up and are lining up a BIG contract for him if they get to league two, so he's considering staying on those terms (i.e. stay down; move on for free. Go up; get minted). Foolish gamble on York's part in my eyes.

This is causing tention up here. As soon as he rejected a new contract, with York so high up the the table, some of the players decided he had stabbed them in the back. This feeling has grown since the size of his proposed new contract got leacked, and it is effecting ther promotion push.

I was hoping we'd make a bid until I heard the situation as it stands this week. S****hope's offer was pretty badly recived by the manager and board (as can be seen by the coverage) and hasn't really helped matters. Personally, with only 6 months on his contract, I think S****horpe's offer was realistic (it was bigger than the declared £100,000, most in add ons). But with the Iron having just got £600,000 for Keogh York decided to play hard ball.

My source, before you ask, is a York City player who I met on sunday night.

Fingers crossed we should be getting someone better. Or so I am lead to believe... ;)

I can tell you as fact he will only leave for 'stupid money', which is around £500,000 with at least half up front. That is York City's 'official' line as of sunday night. They really believe that his goals could take them up and are lining up a BIG contract for him if they get to league two, so he's considering staying on those terms (i.e. stay down; move on for free. Go up; get minted). Foolish gamble on York's part in my eyes.

This is causing tention up here. As soon as he rejected a new contract, with York so high up the the table, some of the players decided he had stabbed them in the back. This feeling has grown since the size of his proposed new contract got leacked, and it is effecting ther promotion push.

I was hoping we'd make a bid until I heard the situation as it stands this week. S****hope's offer was pretty badly recived by the manager and board (as can be seen by the coverage) and hasn't really helped matters. Personally, with only 6 months on his contract, I think S****horpe's offer was realistic (it was bigger than the declared £100,000, most in add ons). But with the Iron having just got £600,000 for Keogh York decided to play hard ball.

My source, before you ask, is a York City player who I met on sunday night.

Fingers crossed we should be getting someone better. Or so I am lead to believe... ;)

Micheal Pospisil :sleeping:

S****horpe had had a bid rejected and at £500k, having seen him play, I wouldn't want to pay anymore than £100/150k plus clauses.

Not sure if this is anywhere else, but the Wycombe Rivals site also says we have him;

http://wycombewanderers.rivals.net/default...mp;stid=8436392

Johnson In, Betsy Out

By Ian Baker

Date: 25/1/2007

Wycombe have signed Simon Johnson from Darlington with Kevin Betsy departing for Bristol City. Johnson, like Betsy is a right midfielder/striker, has signed for an undisclosed fee believed to be around £50,000 while Betsy has agreed a £150,000 move to Ashton Gate.

Betsy has been ever present this season so news of his departure comes as a blow. His contract was up in the summer. Betsy joined Wycombe from Barnsley in Summer 2005 and had become one of the club's best players.

Former Leeds winger Johnson has signed a two and a half year deal at Adams Park.

To cap a busy day for Wycombe former nemesis and frontman Scott McGleish is set to sign from Northampton Town

There's no written article on our site still, but our new winger is interviewed today on our Premium TV service, and one of the questions the interviewer (who is a club employee) posed was along the lines of, "how do you feel coming in as Kevin Betsy's replacement?" and the interviewer also literally said "Betsy left for Bristol City today".

There's no written article on our site still, but our new winger is interviewed today on our Premium TV service, and one of the questions the interviewer (who is a club employee) posed was along the lines of, "how do you feel coming in as Kevin Betsy's replacement?" and the interviewer also literally said "Betsy left for Bristol City today".

All looks very promising indeed, from what i've seen of him he looks quality.

Do you think he will help us in our bid for promotion?

And do you think he will cut it in the championship if we do get promotion?

All looks very promising indeed, from what i've seen of him he looks quality.

Do you think he will help us in our bid for promotion?

And do you think he will cut it in the championship if we do get promotion?

If the opposition left back has no pace he will skin them every time, good touch and ball control, decent crosses and gets plenty of assists.

He isn't one for shooting, so he won't be like Scott Murray in his prime (is he still a scoresheet regular?). He will score occasionally, but those'll mostly be tap-ins.

I've not watched much Championship football, the only benchmark I can give is him being able to hold his own in the several Carling Cup games we've had against higher league opposition, and he managed to do OK v Cashley the other night at Stamford Bridge. He is in his prime right now though, and I guess must have learned a fair bit since Barnsley released him.

Again, it is a good signing, don't just think, "what are we doing signing an L2 player?".

Archived