IGNORED

CAREY

You Know I Am Right

Carey is a leader and shows 100% Commitment to the cause.

Nail hit firmly on the head. To be honest his antics do irritate me but you can't question his passion. When you look at the players, who would make a better captain, who have we got?. Best I can do is Murray, but I'm not sure he can grab a game by the scruff of the neck like Carey can.

Yes Carey is the correct person to have as captain of our club. I take the point that his indiscipline may be a bad example to some of our more easily influenced youngsters - but on the other side of that coin if they display the same amount of enthusiam and passion for the team as him then that is surely a positive influence.

I agree - some of his decisions were poor tonight. I believe that if he stood there with his hands behind his back when Sharp (who was getting a bit over excited) charged at him - I think Sharp would have been sent off, especially given that he had already been booked. Difficult in the heat of the battle but I thought his experience would have got the better of that situation. That said - for his other qualities he should still be captain - I mean we are talking about a player who will be on the short list of our player of the season.

People are saying about people moaning too much, but its things like "strip carey of teh captaincy" that would really mess up this club. U cant strip him of it, hes our leader.

I bet these people wernt saying strip TOmmy Doherty of it when he was going round smoking/drinknig etc. He got into scraps and people said "thats why we love tommy". U think ROy Keane made a good captain cos he was an angel?

Interesting selection of comparisons.

Roy Keane: In the end even Fergie said enough is enough, you're out of control, cheerio. Mick McCarthy simply said: ''##### off!''

Tommy Doherty: I mean we all know what symbolised that ere and how City ultimately failed. Interesting to note that Carey was very much in the picture during those days. I did love Tommy (on the pitch) I must admit, not in the same league that i loved Scott Brown though. What has become of Tommy btw?

Anyone who knows me will laugh, entirely hypocritical - coming on here playing the Sergant Major disciplinairre role, just theory really, I do believe it to be true though.

By no means strip Carey of captaincy, this is an issue needy of address though.

Passion:yes, motivational attributes:yes, being outright unruly: no.

I am very pleased to have a Bristolian captain our Club, Geoff Merrick was the same, could've gone to Arsenal, could've gone to Wolves (?). He said he had no regret's in his decision to turn these offers down. Why should he? Captain of Bristol City Football Club, say no more.

Carey should have been shown a red card tonight.

Raised his arms twice to an opponent and constantly whinged at the ref.

If we had a team full of players of his "attitude" (note: I'm not questioning his "ability") we'd have to have a 30+ man squad to cover for the suspensions.

Being a tad harsh there i think, one of those incidents was Sharpe making a cmplete meal of minimal to no contact, handbags at 10 paces, nothing more. Same goes for the other incident as well. He was a little to chatty to the ref, but you could see the frustration at the performance building in him all game.

Ridiculous!!

Louis Carey has been different class since Gary Johnson took over. He has the ability, passion and has been one of the players of the season, even if he does let frustration get the better of him at times.

Why do people also look for the scapegoat?!? It's soo depressing. No doubt it would have been a different story if we had won!

Keep the faith.

Watching on Television I thought on two different occasions that Carey was going to get sent off. He did seem a little out of control mentally, but that isn't new and he has been a rock for us this season. Let's see how the team does during his suspension with McComb as captain and perhaps if he leads better don't strip Carey of it just leave it with McCombe

petty niggly and immature tonight.

don't get me wrong carey is a great player for us and has been for years, however the number of yellow cards he has got is getting silly now.

i wouldnt mind if they were mainly for fouls but the stupid off-the-ball incidents he gets involved in + all the constant moaning is embarassing.

a captain is someone who leads by example and also sets a good example to youth team players. any of them watching tonight may think that if that is how gary johnsons pick of captain behaves then why shouldnt they.

Strip Carey of the captaincy asap.

Strip him of the captaincy for showing passion and commitment for the cause? No. As for the 'immature' & 'petty' comment I suggest you save those for Billy Sharp who blantently swang a arm into Careys face then charge into Carey and made out Louis did him. Cheat.

I'm sure GJ would be delighted if his youth players played with the same guts and determination as shown by Carey. No need for anyone to be stripped of anything.

I'm sure you wouldnt of posted this had we not of lost.

Carey has been immense this season and there is no doubt that he plays with passion commitment and (normally) intelligence.However, he did nearly get sent off twice last night and another ref might have given him a straight red on either occ.I believe he is inspirational, but he is no good to us sat in the stand.

This is not about scapegoating players, as Carey is one of my favourites, but merely reflecting on how his conduct has let him down at a crucial time of the season.

Strip him of the captaincy for showing passion and commitment for the cause? No. As for the 'immature' & 'petty' comment I suggest you save those for Billy Sharp who blantently swang a arm into Careys face then charge into Carey and made out Louis did him. Cheat.

I'm sure GJ would be delighted if his youth players played with the same guts and determination as shown by Carey. No need for anyone to be stripped of anything.

Stripping him of the captaincy is harsh I agree but you can't blame Sharp because we've only played against him twice and Carey has been guilty of the same ill discipline many many times this season, including a completely stupid red card against Yeovil.

The line between passion and boiling over is thin and Carey oversteps it frequently. He did his best to get booked against Cheltenham and was lucky not to have picked up two bookings last night.

You can hardly blame the ref for not believing Carey when he's been giving him lip all night about every decision, Sharp was cheating I agree but why is Carey giving him the opportunity to? It IS immature and it IS petty and it needs to stop. At his age he should know how to STFU and get on with the game, his whinging at the ref cost us a goal at Bradford.

Carey is a great defender and plays for the cause but we're without him for two games now which because of our inept defending have become must wins. At least half of his ten bookings have not come from genuine challenges and he must take responsibility for it and stop doing it.

Totally agree, the way sharp ran at carey after his challenge was unacceptable. If carey hadn't of reacted, sharp would of had his head off. Carey just pushed him back out of self defence and Sharp just threw himself on the floor trying to get carey sent off.

Pathetic.

Well this does seem to have divided opinion somewhat.

anyway maybe my reaction that he should be stripped of the captaincy was a bit ott last night. however i think that by the number of fans that agree his behaviour was unacceptable as a player let alone a captain i would be interested to know gary johnsons opinion on his behaviour last night.

i am sure the local journalists read this forum so mr latham/twentyman etc if you are reading this would you be so kind as to put this question to gary:

Gary, have you watched a re-run of the s****horpe game? and if you have then could you please let us know your thoughts on louis careys petulant behaviour throughout the 90 minutes?

If it wasn't for Louis Carey we would have lost by more than the one goal last night as he was the only player to react to S****horpes' 2 previous quick free kicks.

Yes it was stupid to get booked in the way he did last night but that just shows the passion (and frustration) he has for the club and I just wish some of the other players (Wilson to name one) showed the same aggression/spirit.

BCAGFC

If it wasn't for Louis Carey we would have lost by more than the one goal last night as he was the only player to react to S****horpes' 2 previous quick free kicks.

Yes it was stupid to get booked in the way he did last night but that just shows the passion (and frustration) he has for the club and I just wish some of the other players (Wilson to name one) showed the same aggression/spirit.

BCAGFC

once again someone pointing out he played well. i am not doubting him as a player but as a captain!

Stripping him of the captaincy is harsh I agree but you can't blame Sharp because we've only played against him twice and Carey has been guilty of the same ill discipline many many times this season, including a completely stupid red card against Yeovil.

The line between passion and boiling over is thin and Carey oversteps it frequently. He did his best to get booked against Cheltenham and was lucky not to have picked up two bookings last night.

You can hardly blame the ref for not believing Carey when he's been giving him lip all night about every decision, Sharp was cheating I agree but why is Carey giving him the opportunity to? It IS immature and it IS petty and it needs to stop. At his age he should know how to STFU and get on with the game, his whinging at the ref cost us a goal at Bradford.

Carey is a great defender and plays for the cause but we're without him for two games now which because of our inept defending have become must wins. At least half of his ten bookings have not come from genuine challenges and he must take responsibility for it and stop doing it.

Of course everything you say is true in the cold light of day.

But In reality and the heat of the battle it is not so easy to be so calm and thoughtful as your post suggest. I think he just get frustrated with some of the numptys he has to carry week in week out and wants to win so much.

Maybe if Wilson,Skuse,Johnson & McAllister plus others played with Careys application we might of got something from last night and doubt we'd be having this conversation!

don't get me wrong carey is a great player for us and has been for years, however the number of yellow cards he has got is getting silly now.

Nearly 40 years ago we said the same thing about Bob Kellard and then his successor in the 10 shirt Gerry Gow.

Carey was highly frustrated by the lack of fire in some of the team last night. as a commited player he does, and due to frustration picked up a very silly fn booking resulting in a two match ban. aint just him who needs to look at himself, the lack of fire players should too

Archived