IGNORED

Terracing

Collis

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6444083.stm

The vast majority of English football supporters want a return to standing in grounds, according to a survey obtained by BBC Sport.

The poll, which is due to published later in March, found 92% want clubs to bring back safe standing areas.

Stadia in the top two divisions have had to be all-seater since the Taylor Report into the Hillsborough disaster.

Former Sports Minister Kate Hoey said: "A rational reappraisal of this issue is long overdue. It's time to talk."

Pressure for another look at the issue of terracing has been growing, prompting campaigners to demand a fresh debate

I hope our club is following this closely. It seems far fetched that stadiums are suddenly going to go back to terracing but at least there is hope.

Would be nice to see the seats in the East End ripped out. :whistle2:

I thought football was sadly drifting into a downwards spiral, but this gives me some hope.

I think there is a small sense of revolt at last arriving. The People getting sick of being told what they want and what's good for them.

Don't worry mate, The Machine can only tame The Beast for so long...

Hopefully as Sir Bob once sang: ''the time's-they-are-a-changing''.

I really want terracing to come back, I'm 17 and don't like sitting down at football. But i cant see it ever returning to football due to powers that be.

Also i don't understand how they can say standing in the east end isnt safe. Its a terrace not a purpose made all seater stand so surely its safe to stand also it should be my decision if i want to "risk my life" standing at football matches not the FA or Bristol City Football Club!!

Its a terrace with seats bolted onto it!!

Visit www.standupsitdown.co.uk/

I don't think or personally want terraces back - I think one of the reasons for lack of singing is reserved seating. You can't sit with you mates half the time and "singers" are dotted around. I'm sure some of us had tried to start a chant only to have people around you look around you as if your mad!

We should have a large section of unreserved seating so if you want to sing you can all sit together. I suspect the police won't like it.. what ever next people enjoying themselves!!

I don't think or personally want terraces back - I think one of the reasons for lack of singing is reserved seating. You can't sit with you mates half the time and "singers" are dotted around. I'm sure some of us had tried to start a chant only to have people around you look around you as if your mad!

We should have a large section of unreserved seating so if you want to sing you can all sit together. I suspect the police won't like it.. what ever next people enjoying themselves!!

Hopefully the police won't have a say in it. At many grounds there are such areas, and at several clubs (I believe Leicester is one) the club officials have gone off the record to say that standing in seated areas is OK because they relise it greatly improves the atmosphere. I also think it won't be very long before there are new terrace sections built in at least the lower two leagues, not least because in these leagues the clubs need all the fans (and therefore money) they can get and also in these clubs fans are often getting more of a stake (due to Supporter's Trust etc).

Unfortunately, when...

* fans turn up without tickets or

* fans turn up with forged tickets

* turnstile operators let their mates in or

* turnstile operators take cash

* etc

... this leads to disasters such as Hillsborough.

Muppets at the back of the terrace surge forward and cause the people at the front of the terrace to be crushed (often kids and elderly supporters who cannot resist the pressure).

It's fans who closed the terraces - not the 'powers that be'.

Terracing can be safe but the control measures that would be required would probably have people crying out for their human rights.

:)

S

Guest North Street
Unfortunately, when...

* etc

Muppets at the back of the terrace surge forward and cause the people at the front of the terrace to be crushed (often kids and elderly supporters who cannot resist the pressure).

Terracing can be safe but the control measures that would be required would probably have people crying out for their human rights.

S

Congratulations that is quite possibly the most ignorant post i have ever read on here.

Unfortunately, when...

* etc

S

disgusting post

Unfortunately, when...

Then it's up to the club to turn them away

Again the club needs to sort it out

The shouldn't do

* etc

And what's to say all that you mentioned can't happen at all seater stadiums?

And what's to say all that you mentioned can't happen at all seater stadiums?

I'm sure it does happen but it cannot happen on such a large scale without it being blindingly obvious that something is wrong. Two or more people with tickets for the same numbered seat could be investigated and the people behind the racket caught.

S

Unfortunately, when...

* etc

I, for one, miss the surge forward when the city were attacking the end you were stood at (some of us used to stand in the open end when it wasn't raining or when we were playing the gas) then jumping round like a loon when the ball went into the back of the net and having to look for your mates afterward, class

I really hope that safe standing areas are introuduced. SUSD are one of the main organisations calling for this and it is not terracing that we want to bring back in. It is standing areas such as those that have been safely introduced in countries like Germany. When this topic has come up recently you tend to get those who are completely for it and those who remember the "bad old days" and are completely against it. Unfortunately a lot of people don't realise the difference betwen safe standing areas and terracing.

I just got back from Man City v Chelsea and was surprised to see large sections of the Man City support standing during a lot of the game. All the Chelsea support in the lower tier was standing all the game. There was no attempt to get anyone to sit down despite a very large police and steward presence. The Man City support was awesome throughout the game despite it being obvious they would not score, really fantastic atmosphere all round the ground and total backing for the team, despite them being really poor. Their singers are dispersed around three areas of the ground so that's no excuse for us. All the fans were behind the team.

Unfortunately, when...

* etc

you clown

you could work for the sun; only you forgot to add the bit about drunken liverpool fans urinating on the dead then going through their pockets

are you telling me the westland terrace at yeovil is a disaster waiting to happen?

all those points you listed occurred at Lille v Manchester united, in an all seater stadium

your ideas about hillsborough are highly offensive and ignorant

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TheRightToStand/

Well this is a petition started only very lately sent straight to our friends up in Westminster.

If you care get your name on it, they then send you an E-mail for confirmation, if you're apathetic then your name would also be greatly appreciated, if anti the return of terracing then obviously don't and please spare me your opinions too if you'd be so kind.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/TheRightToStand/

Well this is a petition started only very lately sent straight to our friends up in Westminster.

If you care get your name on it, they then send you an E-mail for confirmation, if you're apathetic then your name would also be greatly appreciated, if anti the return of terracing then obviously don't and please spare me your opinions too if you'd be so kind.

That petition is just for terracing at Premiership grounds. :noexpression:

Here's the Political way forward with regard to reintroducing terracing at Ashton Gate..........

End the tyranny of our 'politically correct' oppressors that did deny us our birthright to stand on Ye Olde East End terrace and our right to chant obscenities without fear of Royalist Gestapo Police reprisals. Vote into Parliament a real nightmare for the football supporter hating politicians........vote for the man of action.........VOTE FOR GUY FAWKES !!!!!!..........

fawkespg0.jpg

That petition is just for terracing at Premiership grounds. :noexpression:

Here's the Political way forward with regard to reintroducing terracing at Ashton Gate..........

End the tyranny of our 'politically correct' oppressors that did deny us our birthright to stand on Ye Olde East End terrace and our right to chant obscenities without fear of Royalist Gestapo Police reprisals. Vote into Parliament a real nightmare for the football supporter hating politicians........vote for the man of action.........VOTE FOR GUY FAWKES !!!!!!..........

fawkespg0.jpg

Gobby old chap, I know what with being nuts an all this little piece of information probably passed you by, but was Mr. Fawkes not um, you know, like killed by your Royalist chums for his attempted misdemeanor, also was this not over 400 years ago? - making voting for him politically a bit of a non-starter ??

aye, it is only for Premiership grounds but you can be rest assured that if they address the error of their ways Club's like our's would soon follow suit..

Sign it Gobby.

Gobby old chap, I know what with being nuts an all this little piece of information probably passed you by, but was Mr. Fawkes not um, you know, like killed by your Royalist chums for his attempted misdemeanor, also was this not over 400 years ago? - making voting for him politically a bit of a non-starter ??

aye, it is only for Premiership grounds but you can be rest assured that if they address the error of their ways Club's like our's would soon follow suit..

Sign it Gobby.

:clapping::smartass: Alright point taken - its 2007 not 1607 - I'll sign it. I thought the Scottish born war-mongering Royalist liar Tony Blair now lives at No. 11 not No. 10 Downing Street? :redcard: Yet more Government Royalist insignia, no wonder the Government never represents us - THE PEOPLE - as they're more interested in favours from their unelected Queen..........

crest.gif

you clown

you could work for the sun; only you forgot to add the bit about drunken liverpool fans urinating on the dead then going through their pockets

are you telling me the westland terrace at yeovil is a disaster waiting to happen?

all those points you listed occurred at Lille v Manchester united, in an all seater stadium

your ideas about hillsborough are highly offensive and ignorant

My original post on this subject was meant to express the reasons why standing was banned. The 'powers-that-be' did what they thought was right at the time and in the best interests of football fans. Perhaps, on reflection, another decision could have been made and I agree that safe standing areas could easily be adopted in most grounds. These would need to be introducesd with some form of secure ticketing to ensure safety levels are not breeched. At no point did I apportion blame for the Hillsborough disaster in my original post. There were many things that contributed to Hillsborough and I have not reviewed all the evidence (or even any of it). I certainly did not say anything so disgusting and offensive about Liverpool fans. Flaxbourton Red's comment (aimed at the Sun?) was unnecessary and added nothing to the discussion.

My point was that fans turning up to all-ticket games without tickets is a problem. If it's a few fans, it's hardly a problem at all. If it's thousands it is clearly a safety issue.

The Westland Stand is well stewarded and is small when compared to the large Premiership grounds. In the event of a problem, fans could spill over onto the pitch. I consider the terracing to be almost as safe as the seated areas. I prefer to stand and did so during the City vs Boro game at Ashton Gate.

S

My original post on this subject was meant to express the reasons why standing was banned. The 'powers-that-be' did what they thought was right at the time and in the best interests of football fans. Perhaps, on reflection, another decision could have been made and I agree that safe standing areas could easily be adopted in most grounds. These would need to be introducesd with some form of secure ticketing to ensure safety levels are not breeched. At no point did I apportion blame for the Hillsborough disaster in my original post. There were many things that contributed to Hillsborough and I have not reviewed all the evidence (or even any of it). I certainly did not say anything so disgusting and offensive about Liverpool fans. Flaxbourton Red's comment (aimed at the Sun?) was unnecessary and added nothing to the discussion.

My point was that fans turning up to all-ticket games without tickets is a problem. If it's a few fans, it's hardly a problem at all. If it's thousands it is clearly a safety issue.

The Westland Stand is well stewarded and is small when compared to the large Premiership grounds. In the event of a problem, fans could spill over onto the pitch. I consider the terracing to be almost as safe as the seated areas. I prefer to stand and did so during the City vs Boro game at Ashton Gate.

why don't you go and find out what your talking about before subjecting OTIB to your half-baked ideas?

The 'powers-that-be' did what they thought was right at the time and in the best interests of football fans.

The Government of the day did a knee jerk reaction by destroying the football terracing almost overnight. No more Holt End terrace at Aston Villa, no more Kop at Liverpool, no more Stretford End at Manchester and no more terraced BCFC East End. As far as I'm aware not one football supporter was consulted by the then Conservative Government with regard to the abolition of terracing. I'm not sure that this was done in the best interest of traditional football fans - so much for consensus democracy in this country - our Government sucks.

Another interesting article appeared on the BBC website today. Fair play to the BBC for giving lots of exposure on this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6458843.stm

The VELTINS-Arena is the home of German Club Schalke 04. It is a standing stadium, the seats are locked up and only used in certain circumstances. This quote from a safety official at the ground sums it up really;

In the nearly six years of the VELTINS-Arena, there has not been a single incident or injury that was caused by having standing terraces

_42692677_bremen203.jpg

_42692749_schalke270.jpg

Read that second article this morning, while I don't really give a damn about standing those who do should at least get a decent reason why not out of the authorities, or they should be allowed to stand. The authorities currently do not have that reason, so why the hell is nothing being done.

How has what happened at the games involving Man U And Spurs has to do with standing?

Watching the spurs game, the spurs fans were in a seated stand. So that doesnt effect the terracing debate.

Also Man U fans were in a seated stand. So that Doesnt effect the terracing debate.

A few weeks ago a game Between Darlington and Harltepool had trouble, inside the ground, inside a new 25000 all seater ground.

It doesnt matter if its terracing or seats, violence at football will always exist.

Does anybody think the terracing debate will suffer following the events involving Man ure and Spurs?

trouble inside the all seated grounds?

what do you mean by "trouble" anyway?

mad italian police attacking english fans? one or two fans running on the pitch at spurs?

what planet are you from?

Archived