IGNORED

Best & Worst Signings

CTRed

After hearing Leroy Lita on the Radio today I got thinking about our best and worst signings over the last 10 years as well as our best & worst sales - Two that came to mind were selling Ade Akinbiyi for 3.5m and Leroy Lita for 1.5m as well as our signing of Soren Andersen for just 400k.

So for a little fun, think about your top 5(ish!) signings and sales as well as worst 5 signings and sales based on things like, price, games played, goals scored, effectiveness, injury record etc;

I think mine would have to be;

TOP 5 Permanent Signings;

Soren Andersen

Brian Tinnion ('93)

Scott Murray

Shaun Taylor

Shaun Goater

WORST 5 Permanent Signings;

Steve Jones

Bo Andersen

Lee Matthews

Tony Dinning

Marcus Stewart

Jamie Smith

TOP 5 Loan Signings;

Neil Maddison

David Howells

Mark Robins

WORST 5 Loan Signings;

Darren Caskey

Neil Heaney

Joe Keith

Sean McCarthy

Calvin Andrew

TOP 5 Sales;

Ade Akinbiyi

Dave Cotterill

Danny Coles

Jim Brennan

Darren Barnard

WORST 5 Sales;

Michael Bridges

Leroy Lita

Tony Thorpe (Free)

Liam Rosenior (Tribunal)

Matthew Hill

After hearing Leroy Lita on the Radio today I got thinking about our best and worst signings over the last 10 years as well as our best & worst sales - Two that came to mind were selling Ade Akinbiyi for 3.5m and Leroy Lita for 1.5m as well as our signing of Soren Andersen for just 400k.

So for a little fun, think about your top 5(ish!) signings and sales as well as worst 5 signings and sales based on things like, price, games played, goals scored, effectiveness, injury record etc;

Soren Andersen

Brian Tinnion ('93)

Scott Murray

Shaun Taylor

Shaun Goater

Steve Jones

Bo Andersen

Lee Matthews

Tony Dinning

Marcus Stewart

Jamie Smith

TOP 5 Loan Signings;

Neil Maddison

David Howells

Mark Robins

WORST 5 Loan Signings;

Darren Caskey

Neil Heaney

Joe Keith

Sean McCarthy

Calvin Andrew

TOP 5 Sales;

Ade Akinbiyi

Dave Cotterill

Danny Coles

Jim Brennan

Darren Barnard

WORST 5 Sales;

Michael Bridges

Leroy Lita

Tony Thorpe (Free)

Liam Rosenior (Tribunal)

Matthew Hill

Depends if your saying biggest waste of money or worst ability. There are certainly many more worse ability signings than these guys. Brian Mitchell is certainly one of those.

Think McCoombe isheading towards legendary status, possibly Basso/McCallister too!

Soren Andersen

Brian Tinnion ('93)

Scott Murray

Shaun Taylor

Shaun Goater

Steve Jones

Bo Andersen

Lee Matthews

Tony Dinning

Marcus Stewart

Jamie Smith

TOP 5 Loan Signings;

Neil Maddison

David Howells

Mark Robins

WORST 5 Loan Signings;

Darren Caskey

Neil Heaney

Joe Keith

Sean McCarthy

Calvin Andrew

TOP 5 Sales;

Ade Akinbiyi

Dave Cotterill

Danny Coles

Jim Brennan

Darren Barnard

WORST 5 Sales;

Michael Bridges

Leroy Lita

Tony Thorpe (Free)

Liam Rosenior (Tribunal)

Matthew Hill

Crikey, you must have a short memory if Smith and Matthews make your worst signings list...

Stewart did as well at City as one of your worst 5 sales - Bridges (I still don't get how we seem to have gotten to a point where Stewie - City through and through and never really given a chance for whatever reason - is now fair game for "bashing").

Delving back a little bit further... Atteveld? Caesar? Dziekanowski? Cole? Baird?

Heh - sorry. Missed that :)

OK, I'll chip in Agostino as one of the worst 5 sales (1997)

We had no choice with Agostino though if I remember rightly - he went on a Bosman (hate that Bosman bloke!)

Pretty much agree with the original list but would add these:

Clayton Blackmore - Good loan

Kelly Youga - Bad loan

Kevin Betsy - Bad signing

Glenn Pennyfather - Bad signing

Sieb Dykstra - Good loan

Colin Cramb - LEGEND!!

Guest North Street

Colin Sexstone seems to huff and puff a lot but not deliver in the last third - very poor

Keith Draisey ultra conservative favours a back pass rather than moving forward. -poor

Only time will tell about Doug Harman.

Colin Sexstone, Keith Draisey and only time will tell about Doug Harman.

Your're true to form - never miss a chance to have a pop at the football club.

Pity your're not a City striker.You'd be leading the scoring charts with your consistancy.

Guest North Street

Your're true to form - never miss a chance to have a pop at the football club.

Pity your're not a City striker.You'd be leading the scoring charts with your consistancy.

The clubs is it's support dude not one or two individuals and on that yep i am consistent i do not have a pop. Now remind me of some your remarks about fellow fans?

Love as always

NS xxxxxxxxxx

Depends if your saying biggest waste of money or worst ability. There are certainly many more worse ability signings than these guys. Brian Mitchell is certainly one of those.

Think McCoombe isheading towards legendary status, possibly Basso/McCallister too!

The thread on worst signings can be stopped right there.

Best value for money must be Wayne Allison. Watford gave us Wayne and cash in exchange for Mark Gavin. A year later Gavin rejoined City on a FREE transfer!

Mark Gavin was a weird one. You could put him in one of the best signings in his first spell but certainly not his 2nd - was rubbish when he returned.

I loved Dave Smith - that bloke was quality, and oh to have him in this team!

I have only really supported city passiontley for 10 years, the rest i was only a kid so didnt really have a clue, so let me off if i make some ovious mistakes:

top 3 permanent: scott murray (wasnt around when we did sign him but has been a legend eer since)

jamie mCcombe (has been brilliant this season)

Leroy lita ( free transfer from chelsea academy wasnt he)

worst 3 permanent: tony dinning (top of the list by far)

marcus stewart

grant smith (only thing he ever did for us was score tat goal against rovers when we beat them 1-0 in a friendly but that is now long forgotten)

top 3 loan signings: John ruddy

mark robins

???

worst 3 loan signings: Darren caskey

joe keith

wayne andrews

best signings

Ade Akinbuyi

Shaun Goater

Scott Murray

Brian Tinnion

Darren Barnard

Andy Cole

Shaun Taylor

Jamie McCombe

worst signings

Liam Robinson

Bas Savage

Tony Thorpe

Marcus Stewart

Kevin Nugent

Gerard Lavin

Paul Mortimer

Sean Dyche

Bo Andersen

Fat full back - Clemens Zwijnenberg - during benny the clowns reign

Tony Thorpe was an excellent signing for us with a goal scoring record to match anyone, shame he left on a Bosman, but he did what he was brought in to do.......SCORE GOALS

Bas Savage - although not technically the best player, came in and helped bring the best out of brooker and not only helped keep us up, but helped turn us into a play-off chasing team that only missed out on the last day of the season, has done very well since

Jim Brennan - was a decent enough player, but the money we got for him was just plain stupid, he was never worth £1.25m and has proved it since.

players like Marvin Harriot, Phil Barber, Paul Tisdale, Ray Attelveld.......now that was some god awful signings

Best signings:

Billy Mercer - £300k but the best keeper I've seen play for us at the Gate in my 15 years of following BCFC.

Greg Goodridge - £50k from QPR and was awesome in our promotion season.

Jamie McCombe - 10 years on and we finally replaced Shaun Taylor!

Mickey Bell - Bargain £150k from Wycombe and got 8 years service out of him.

Brian Tinnion - £150k from Bradford, club legend.

Worst signings:

Steve Jones - £500k from Charlton. The fattest player I've seen play for us though he did well in his last season.

Kevin Betsy - Enough said! Ability wise, the worse player I've seen for a long while

Gerard Lavin - Sending off on debut at Reading says it all.

Sean Dyche - Awful centre-back with us.

Carl Hutchings - Looked good on his debut until Dyche did a job on him in training and he was never the same again!

I'm sure I've missed some utter rubbish in there somewhere but this is all I could think of at the mo.

Best signings:

Billy Mercer - £300k but the best keeper I've seen play for us at the Gate in my 15 years of following BCFC.

Greg Goodridge - £50k from QPR and was awesome in our promotion season.

Jamie McCombe - 10 years on and we finally replaced Shaun Taylor!

Mickey Bell - Bargain £150k from Wycombe and got 8 years service out of him.

Brian Tinnion - £150k from Bradford, club legend.

Worst signings:

Steve Jones - £500k from Charlton. The fattest player I've seen play for us though he did well in his last season.

Kevin Betsy - Enough said! Ability wise, the worse player I've seen for a long while

Gerard Lavin - Sending off on debut at Reading says it all.

Sean Dyche - Awful centre-back with us.

Carl Hutchings - Looked good on his debut until Dyche did a job on him in training and he was never the same again!

I'm sure I've missed some utter rubbish in there somewhere but this is all I could think of at the mo.

Pretty much what I would put. Add Murray and Ago to that top list.

How can a poster say Anderews was one of the worst loan signings. :S

Mark Gavin was a weird one. You could put him in one of the best signings in his first spell but certainly not his 2nd - was rubbish when he returned.

I loved Dave Smith - that bloke was quality, and oh to have him in this team!

Dave Smith is my all-time favourite City player along with Super Bob. Would pick it up on the left wing, draw the full back in, knock it past him and just blast past them at blistering speed, with either a decent shot or cross at the end of it. What more can you ask for a winger? Him down the left and Gavin down the right, was just brilliant to watch at times.

Worst permanent signing recently is Dinning without a shadow of a doubt, closely followed by Partridge.

Worst premanent signing ever is Brian Mitchell. I'm suprised he could lace his boots let alone play football. Just awful

Best permanent signing recently I would go for Lita, as he was free, and we got a few quid for him.

Best permanent signing ever was Super Bob, considering we got him and £100k for Carl Shutt! Is suppose you could throw in the likes of Hunter, Gow, Newman etc in that too.

Archived