IGNORED

Retained List

Bristol Boy

Seven released and no surprises.

The interesting list will be those players transfer listed:

Partridge is the most obvious-high earner-clearly to far down the pecking order.

After that I reckon it could be:

• Jevons.....Hasn't delivered.
  • Showunmi..Up& Down Season and will GJ be patient?
  • Russell (Has activated a clause and is under contract) but at 33/34 will he be in the first sixteen?

I think Murray (1 Year) & Carey ( 2.5 Years) will sign.

Betsy needs to do more, but GJ won't list him.

That would be 10/11 out.

Cue 5/6 in.

• Two Strikers-Poss three
  • Wide Left Midfielder
  • Central Midfielder

These could include Season or Long Term Loans from Prem Clubs.

Add 2/3 New Professionals, which we hope will include Plummer and that'll be that until Jan barring:

[*]Silly Offers

[*]Injury Crisis

Over to you!

Patridge is definitely the obvious departure, if a buyer can be found, unsuccessful loan spells at Orient, Brentford, Swindon, HMP hardly make for an inspiring cv.

Jevo and Enoch may get a reprieve, if only to see how they link up with a fully fit Brooker, IMO.We will still need a mobile striker to come in, our lack of pace up front still concerns me.

Russell and Murray, have been notable in the run in. Russell, who I have been critical of in the past, was a star turn and may earn another year.Scott's cause has undobtably been helped by his huge heart, personality, love of BCFC, and most importantly, Betsy's indifferent form.

Whether we lose any players we would raqther keep to other clubs remains to be seen, but agree with your analysis of the type of players we need.

I don't think there is any possibility of either Showunmi or Russell being shown the door.

Russell, when in the side, was one of the most consistant performers this year. If he is fit enough (why wouldn't he be?), he will jugded on his performances not his age.

There is also obviously a lot more to come from Enoch after what has been easily his best season as a professional to date.

I also think it unlikely that Jevons will leave. I think he would have had an entirely different season playing along side a fit Brooker.

I really doubt that GJ will want to unsettle the squad to the extent that the changes you are suggesting BB would do. I predict 2 or 3 players in maximum to begin.

Either way, it will be a very interesting summer (and too bloody long!)

Seven released and no surprises.

The interesting list will be those players transfer listed:

Partridge is the most obvious-high earner-clearly to far down the pecking order.

After that I reckon it could be:

• Jevons.....Hasn't delivered.
  • Showunmi..Up& Down Season and will GJ be patient?
  • Russell (Has activated a clause and is under contract) but at 33/34 will he be in the first sixteen?
I think Murray (1 Year) & Carey ( 2.5 Years) will sign.

Betsy needs to do more, but GJ won't list him.

That would be 10/11 out.

Cue 5/6 in.

• Two Strikers-Poss three
  • Wide Left Midfielder
  • Central Midfielder
These could include Season or Long Term Loans from Prem Clubs.

Add 2/3 New Professionals, which we hope will include Plummer and that'll be that until Jan barring:

[*]Silly Offers

[*]Injury Crisis

Over to you!

When the hell have you seen players signing x and a half year deals at the start of the season, thus making them available on a free in Jan?!

I don't think there is any possibility of either Showunmi or Russell being shown the door.

Russell, when in the side, was one of the most consistant performers this year. If he is fit enough (why wouldn't he be?), he will jugded on his performances not his age.

There is also obviously a lot more to come from Enoch after what has been easily his best season as a professional to date.

I also think it unlikely that Jevons will leave. I think he would have had an entirely different season playing along side a fit Brooker.

I really doubt that GJ will want to unsettle the squad to the extent that the changes you are suggesting BB would do. I predict 2 or 3 players in maximum to begin.

Either way, it will be a very interesting summer (and too bloody long!)

Agree with this.

Russell is an important part of the team spirit that GJ refers to constantly and although he is no youngster he looks as fit as any player we have. I'm happy to have his experience in the squad for next season. A fit Brooker plus Popisil or Gallen would make our forward line look quite strong (especially if Plummer signs). Can't see Jevons or Enoch heading for the exit, both are GJs men and will be given a chance to test themselves in the championship.

To be honest I would be happy to start the season with the current squad, with the youngsters (Artus, new pair of full backs) playing a more active role. I think we'll have a decent chance to retain our ccc status with the players we have right now.

I don't think that GJ will get rid of Jevons. I think that he knows him so well and has a lot of belief in him.

Partridge will surely go. Russell and Murray will get another year as you suggest, and deservedly so. Carey another two years.

It wouldn't surprise me if Enoch were allowed to leave as I have doubts that he will be able to make much of an impression in the Championship. He is too inconsistent and fails to punch his weight and I sense that this frustrates GJ.

I think that we will be in the market for a third keeper, assuming that Weale gets another contract. It doesn't make sense to make do with just Weale as backup to Basso given his recent injury problems.

The goals dried up badly as the season wore on and he's injury & illness prone.Like I said it depends on GJ's patience and there were visible signs of that wearing thin during the season.He'll be 3rd/4th choice, mark my words.

Possibly but SB may well be 3rd choice IF we can get him fit.

He did it after a succesful run in last season-About 12/15 out and 7 in-7 are already gone

When the hell have you seen players signing x and a half year deals at the start of the season, thus making them available on a free in Jan?!

If you're going to post in an agressive fashion, it's best to get your facts straight.It's very common and two and a half YEARS ISN'T two and a half SEASONS.Also depends on the date you sign a contract or an extension, doesn't it :disapointed2se:

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/0,,10327,00.html

Then click on BROOKER

Agree with this.

Russell is an important part of the team spirit that GJ refers to constantly and although he is no youngster he looks as fit as any player we have.

I rate Russell-always have-However if GJ needs to strengthen and bring through younger players, something has to give.

I'm happy to have his experience in the squad for next season.

Me to, but we also need a blend of youth & experience

A fit Brooker plus Popisil or Gallen would make our forward line look quite strong (especially if Plummer signs).

Gallen is quality, however as he's over 75, I really can't see that one.Fit and Brooker don't sit well in the same sentence but I hope he is-Pospisil is the more likely

Can't see Jevons or Enoch heading for the exit, both are GJs men and will be given a chance to test themselves in the championship.

Could do, but we're back to squad numbers again and if he signs two strikers, that would give us SEVEN (Signing, Signing,Brooker, Showunmi, Jevons, JMW, Plummer) if Plummer signs.I can see Artus, JMW & Plummer out on loan or doing 20 mins from the bench barring injuries.

To be honest I would be happy to start the season with the current squad, with the youngsters (Artus, new pair of full backs) playing a more active role.

What about McAllister, Orr & The Two Wilsons? Not to mention LF?

I think we'll have a decent chance to retain our ccc status with the players we have right now.

We definetly need to strengthen up front.I really can't see why PJ & ES, who got 21 between them inc 5 pens will start banging them in in The Championship when they couldn't in League One?

Overall GJ will not rip the squad up. I think we'll see four or five signings, some of the younger players like Artus, Wilson and Plummer play a bigger part, and perhaps two more departures on top of those gone.

Goalkeeping wise we'll see the usual loan keeper come in as third choice.

Defence is fine as it is and I wouldn't expect any signings there. I expect Wilson to be playing more for Bradley Orr's place than on the wing. I hope Keogh and Carey both sign.

In the midfield I think Russell is definitely worth keeping around for a season but I wouldn't be surprised to see him make room. He's been good for us though. I think with him, Artus, Johnson, Noble and Skuse what we have is sufficient. We could strengthen with one quality player but I think we have more pressing concerns particularly if we're going to play 352/451 more often.

On the wings, right side I think Wilson Murray and Betsy will be enough. Betsy will have to improve a great deal to be any more than cover and Wilson will have to be more consistent. On the left side we still have noone and I'd like to see TWO left sided wingers come in. Hoolahan would be nice and there are a few others available.

Up front is the other major concern. We absolutely must bring in two strikers with pace and ability who are better than what we have. We do not need already peaked cast offs from other Championship sides and I can't understand why people keep suggesting names like Gallen and such. Thankfully I doubt GJ will be looking at that sort of player.

I find it unlikely that Jevons will be going anywhere. Still got a year left, thought highly of by the manager, not going to want to leave. He didn't have a great season for us but he was still top scorer in a promotion side and he may (MAY) find it a bit easier in the Championship with more time and room for intelligence to show.

Enoch might well be on his way. I think he's upset GJ by making too much of injuries. Some of the vibes coming from there in the last few months of the season gave me that impression. Enoch has done an important job for us but personally I don't think there is anything more to come from him. I know he hasn't been in professional football long - (only 5 years!) - but you don't suddenly develop an ability to control the ball or any other special powers at his age. You have that sort of thing by 14 or so or you don't get it. I think for a man of his size he's poor in the air and the ball bounces off him when he has his back to the goal. That was OK when he was getting the ball and running at people with menace but he stopped doing that in the second half of the season once everyone figured out to kick him once in the first ten minutes.

I think we will be looking at players like Pospicil, Varney, Hawley, perhaps Holt, and possibly foreigners. I hope to god it isn't Constantine, Reddy, Gallen or any of that sort of rubbish.

I rate Russell-always have-However if GJ needs to strengthen and bring through younger players, something has to give.

No doubt, but I just think that we might see Russell on another year. It makes more sense to retain a player already part of a close knit group and most likely on wages that are cheaper than any other player of his experience. Remove him and I think we would need to replace him with and I just think it makes more sense to give him a year and a chance.

Me to, but we also need a blend of youth & experience

Murray and Russell to me repesent the only true 'veterans' in our team, and asides from them I'd say we have quite a young side (Noble and LJ at around 25-26 being the top end of this) and so leaving space for them to be the esperience in the 'blend'

Gallen is quality, however as he's over 75, I really can't see that one.Fit and Brooker don't sit well in the same sentence but I hope he is-Pospisil is the more likely

I'll admit to knowing nothing about Gallen outside of the fact he has played at championship level perviously, I was simply sighting him due to rumours.

Brooker needs a break (not like that...) when it comes to his fitness, but it is important to note how well he performed against Coventry and as long as he has a good preseason I hope we can finally see the answer to the question of if he can make the step up.

Popisil is another matter. He has been playing and scoring at the top level in Scotland this year, was willing to move (asides from a non-promotion clause), he has said he wants out and has been deemed surplus by the new Hearts management. I'd get him in heart beat (no pun intended), as reports from friends (Hibs & Cletic fans) and videos suggest he is pretty amazing and would provide us with a player of rare skill. Those whos opinions I trust class him as a Berbatov-esk player, lacking amazing pace and power, but with the ability to pull somethng out of nothing. I hope we look again.

Could do, but we're back to squad numbers again and if he signs two strikers, that would give us SEVEN (Signing, Signing,Brooker, Showunmi, Jevons, JMW, Plummer) if Plummer signs.I can see Artus, JMW & Plummer out on loan or doing 20 mins from the bench barring injuries.

I don't believe we'll see two strikers in, and if did I'd hope Chelts or Yeovil (if they missout in the playoffs) might benifit from having Plummer and/or JMW for a significant period next year. I think the strikers we have have earnt at least the till christmas to show us what they can do.

What about McAllister, Orr & The Two Wilsons? Not to mention LF?

I was not suggesting they are played over these, just that they provide the back up that Woodman and other youngsters offered. I would say the above players are first choice no doubt, just that we shouldn't need to bring in any more players with the new youth grads, thats all.

We definetly need to strengthen up front.I really can't see why PJ & ES, who got 21 between them inc 5 pens will start banging them in in The Championship when they couldn't in League One?

fair point, but I just feel we don't need to make wholesale changes straight off. A class addition (Popisil for example) would give us a very different option, and Brooker fit would be another who brings a very different type of play to the frontline. I think your right thogh, and a forward would be important.

Some strikers - Drogba for example who take a while to settle and adjust and thats why I reckon Showumni will have a bigger apart next season assuming he can stay fit. He'll pose real problems next season with another years expereince under his belt.

Jevons - well.. he just hasn't done enough imo.OK, he's the leading goalscorer but the rest of his game is lacking and unless Johnson can instill a better work ethic and more aggressive attitude in him over the close season I can't see him starting much in the Championship.

Brooker - when fit no doubt about his ability.He'll be a good player next season if his head is right and he can maintian some fitness.

So - I reckon Johnson will look to bring at least one striker possibly Popisil and maybe one more to provide some depth.

City have a solid midfield but not many goals have come from it over this last season.Noble playing in the later stages in the hole looks a regular goal threat and may play there more consistanty next season.Johnson may look to stregthen there with a signing.

Defence - solid enough but not yet tested higher up.Of the current squad only Carey has played at that level before and maybe thats another area that Johnson will look to cover.

My guess - two strikers one midfielder and one defender coming in.

Michal Pospíšil

Hearts (2005-present)

Played 46

Scored 12

Do we REALLY want him?

Half those games as Hearts were as a sub and let's be honest that club is a bit of a circus. It doesn't matter whether WE want him, GJ did in January when he bid for him and I can't see why that would change between then and now.

Patridge is definitely the obvious departure, if a buyer can be found, unsuccessful loan spells at Orient, Brentford, Swindon, HMP hardly make for an inspiring cv.

Apparently his loan spell at HMP was quite successful actually :blush:

I think that the most we'll see is 3 new signings, no more than that. GJ has already declared that he is happy with the current squad and feels that they (rather worringly, in my opinion) can compete in the Championship. He said the games against Cov & Middlesborough proved that. However, don't sides always raise their games when they are the underdogs in a cup-tie?? Its like saying Sutton United could've cut it in the old first division 'cos they be at Coventry, or Rovers could've survived in the Prem 'cos they beat Derby. Doesn't wash with me. I think we need 6 new faces, but I can't see that happening

I hope Enoch stays.

For a good part of the season he was either being asked to play wide left ( obviously not his position) or to play as virtually a lone striker while Broooker and Jevons were out. He didn't really have the chance to build a partnership with a regular partner.

I agree with other posters that too often he doesn't seem to punch his weight, but against that I recall the away game at Coventry playing up with Brooker after Jevons went off injured. I know Coventry were lacking in confidence at the time, but that was a Championship defence but Brooker and Showunmi were virtually unplayable that day showing pace and power through the game.

I always liked the look of Brooker/Showunmi more than Brooker/Jevons and with the a bit of coaching and motivation from GJ and his staff hope we will see Enoch frightening Championship defences next season.

I think that the most we'll see is 3 new signings, no more than that. GJ has already declared that he is happy with the current squad and feels that they (rather worringly, in my opinion) can compete in the Championship. He said the games against Cov & Middlesborough proved that. However, don't sides always raise their games when they are the underdogs in a cup-tie?? Its like saying Sutton United could've cut it in the old first division 'cos they be at Coventry, or Rovers could've survived in the Prem 'cos they beat Derby. Doesn't wash with me. I think we need 6 new faces, but I can't see that happening

Worked for Steve Coppell and Reading who have a similar squad in that there are some good players in their low to mid twenties, good team spirit and a strong work ethic.

The key to staying up probably lies in having a striker who can score towards 20 goals.

Half those games as Hearts were as a sub and let's be honest that club is a bit of a circus. It doesn't matter whether WE want him, GJ did in January when he bid for him and I can't see why that would change between then and now.

On Wednesday, it was a "maybe" from GJ.

Worked for Steve Coppell and Reading who have a similar squad in that there are some good players in their low to mid twenties, good team spirit and a strong work ethic.

The key to staying up probably lies in having a striker who can score towards 20 goals.

Pardew took Reading into the Championship. Coppell signed at least 5 players when he took over the reigns

Bristol Boy, if Carey signs a 2 and a half year deal, as you suggest, then he would be available in NOVEMBER 2009. Now tell me if you have ever seen that.

You really are a complete moron.

I don't mind you not knowing, it's the fact that you think you do that frosts my weaner.

Listen carefully and I will explain AGAIN :smartass:

Seasons do not equal years.

That's why they're called 2006/2007 Season not 2007 Season.

Carey's contract will expire at the end of a season-Mark my words and the start date will ensure that.

For example, his current/last deal, expired AFTER this season finished.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/...27~8943,00.html

Here are the details of the last TWO & A HALF year deal that CAREY Signed

Got it now. :punish:

I don't mind you not knowing, it's the fact that you think you do that frosts my weaner.

Try looking up the word between sack of shit and sagacity in the dictionary.

Using your logic I believe it is sanctimonious.

According to the link that you supply, Carey's 2.5yrs contract will expire in July. If he signs another 2.5yrs contract how will it not expire in January 2010??? :dunno:

If you could come down from your high horse and let this moron know, I'd be ever so grateful.

Listen carefully and I will explain AGAIN :smartass:

Seasons do not equal years.

That's why they're called 2006/2007 Season not 2007 Season.

Carey's contract will expire at the end of a season-Mark my words and the start date will ensure that.

For example, his current/last deal, expired AFTER this season finished.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/...27~8943,00.html

Here are the details of the last TWO & A HALF year deal that CAREY Signed

Got it now. :punish:

Right, listen up and take your head out of your ass.

Players will sign X year and a half deals, when they sign half way through the season, not at the end of seasons or at the beginning.

Carey signs 2 and a half YEAR deal , expires: November 2009

Carey signs 2 and a half SEASON deal , expires: January 2010

For once, admit you are wrong

Also the contract he signed, which was 2 and a half year, was signed in JANUARY. So how can he sign two contracts both the same length, but signed in months with a 6month gap, yet still expiry at the same time. :doh:

Archived