IGNORED

Unproven At A Higher Level

potbelly

Lots of talk on here about how our players will cope with the `step up`.

How do we think GJ will cope?

He has never actually managed a side at Championship level so it is completly new for him aswell.

There were rumours about him being linked to clubs last season,

so are there are a few Chairman out there that would have taken a risk on him?

He was a credit to himself and the club in the way he dealt with the Calderwood mind games.

Next season he will be faced with more of the same from some very high profile managers. Mr Warnock, McCarthy etc.

The media spotlight will be more intense, he will now be on a national stage instead of a mainly local one.

If we do well then he is bound to get linked to other "bigger" clubs as the season unfolds.

Will it go to his head?

Will he be tempted?

At what point in the life of the Championship does GJ say either privately or publicly that he has taken Bristol City FC

"as far as he could" ?

Guest Topman
Lots of talk on here about how our players will cope with the `step up`.

How do we think GJ will cope?

He has never actually managed a side at Championship level so it is completly new for him aswell.

There were rumours about him being linked to clubs last season,

so are there are a few Chairman out there that would have taken a risk on him?

He was a credit to himself and the club in the way he dealt with the Calderwood mind games.

Next season he will be faced with more of the same from some very high profile managers. Mr Warnock, McCarthy etc.

The media spotlight will be more intense, he will now be on a national stage instead of a mainly local one.

If we do well then he is bound to get linked to other "bigger" clubs as the season unfolds.

Will it go to his head?

Will he be tempted?

At what point in the life of the Championship does GJ say either privately or publicly that he has taken Bristol City FC

"as far as he could" ?

Hope he doesnt bottle it like against us for your sake!! Just hope that all the City 'doubters' don't suddenly get on his back like when most of them wanted him out earlier on

Hope he doesnt bottle it like against us for your sake!! Just hope that all the City 'doubters' don't suddenly get on his back like when most of them wanted him out earlier on

"bottle it"????

That's clearly a joke isn't it?

"as far as he could" ?

When he joined he was asked this and said his ambition here was to get City crowds up to 20,000. To do that you have to be near the top of the Championship or at the foot of the pemiership.

If he manages to get the club there he will be proven at a higher level and then be looking for the move to a bigger club.

So the Championship will be new ground for GJ, as it will for a many, ( those of our squad who have,for most the experiance will be limited) GJ has had a go at

International leval, and he did bring Yeovil out of the Conference and The Basement League

So lets not prejudge enjoy what we have got for now, and not panic about next season just yet.

CHILL OUT1 :goingup:

• Admin

Define "most".

State "when".

• Admin
When he joined he was asked this and said his ambition here was to get City crowds up to 20,000. To do that you have to be near the top of the Championship or at the foot of the pemiership.

If he manages to get the club there he will be proven at a higher level and then be looking for the move to a bigger club.

If that's the case he won't be leaving till we upgrade the stadium :D

Don't you dare replace that East End City! :protest:

Just like your double act lennie and dollope, the doubters were on their back and some even wanted them out, they still might yet, if the gash, BOTTLE it, now toddle off up the gloucester road and pick up all that glass that got smashed by you chavs...

in fairness when he joined City he was still unproven at League 1 Level, he's dealt with that ok I reckon.......

If you look at the way he dealt with Coventry and Middlesbrough last season you'd have to hope it won't be too much to ask to take the next step up. It may even work to our advantage as the teams in the Championship have so much more exposure you'll have less 'unknown quantities' to deal with. I'm confident that GJ will step up to the task.

In recent years we've had a manager with both Championship and Premiership experience, but he for all his experience couldn't quite deliver at Bristol City.

Just because he has it doesn't mean he will.

Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't.

Had he managed a team at league 2 or league 1 level prior to promotions ?

Is there a difference in managing a team at a higher level if you have taken that team to that level ?

No and no I would guess.

The only point I would make is the teams that you are up against at a higher level.Better players,more astute managers (generally speaking) with good tactical acumen.The standard is significantly higher in every department - certainly with the top half clubs.You only have watch the Championship on TV to see that.

John Ward was succesfull in the lower leagues but not able to cut it higher up.Now I'm not saying that Johnson is in the same catagory as Ward but there is no gaurentee that he'll be able to handle it.

Personally I think he will.His record of stepping up the leagues is impressive.

Guest ashtonyate
The only point I would make is the teams that you are up against at a higher level.Better players,more astute managers (generally speaking) with good tactical acumen.The standard is significantly higher in every department - certainly with the top half clubs.You only have watch the Championship on TV to see that.

John Ward was succesfull in the lower leagues but not able to cut it higher up.Now I'm not saying that Johnson is in the same catagory as Ward but there is no gaurentee that he'll be able to handle it.

Personally I think he will.His record of stepping up the leagues is impressive.

My main worries with Johnson is whether he can Manage player that have an ego, the farther up the league you go you must deal with older player that may have an attitude and if you can't you could be in trouble. He can't signing youngster's all the time who are frighten to say boo to a goose.

My main worries with Johnson is whether he can Manage player that have an ego, the farther up the league you go you must deal with older player that may have an attitude and if you can't you could be in trouble. He can't signing youngster's all the time who are frighten to say boo to a goose.

why must you have older players? and do all older players have ego's NO, They don't

the "big ego"s that he moved out of the club haven't done anything of note between them since they left, and he isn't dealing with just young players there is already a number older players at the club with the right attitudes

it's about signing the right players with the right attitude,

attitude is more important than ability, doesn't matter how good a player you can be, if your attitude is all wrong your going to have problems,

There are other managers like that - John Gregory for instance.

You're putting an unfair slant on it though. What he wants is players who work for the team and accept that some weeks they don't fit the formation or haven't performed in training so don't play. I would say it's the opposite of "youngster's all the time who are frighten to say boo to a goose", instead he's signing players with a mature attitude, not immature bigheads whatever they may have achieved elsewhere.

I doubt he'd have signed Tony "can I squeeze my big head through the dressing room door" Thorpe.

I doubt he'd have signed Tony "can I squeeze my big head through the dressing room door" Thorpe.

No he wouldn't have for sure - but depite Thorpe's massive ego and crap attitude Tony 'tap-in' did produce the goods....60 odd goals for City in three seasons I think.(I'm sure some statto will correct me)

If City had had a striker last season with Thorpe's goalscoring abliity then Scunny would have finished second.

the way i see it, is that he might not have the experience of managing at this level, but managers all over the country are exploring new heights. for example, Bolton wanderers were a small town league club when allardyce took over, but with the right management skills, he moved them from that to a premiership team in Europe, now i aint going to compare the two, but experience does not always mean that it's better, he had no experience of management above the top 2 divisions except for assistant manager at Wolves (i think) and look where he got them.

I'm confident in Gary Johnson that we can establish ourselves as a mid-table team next season with something to build on. Look at Colchester.....

the way i see it, is that he might not have the experience of managing at this level, but managers all over the country are exploring new heights. for example, Bolton wanderers were a small town league club when allardyce took over, but with the right management skills, he moved them from that to a premiership team in Europe, now i aint going to compare the two, but experience does not always mean that it's better, he had no experience of management above the top 2 divisions except for assistant manager at Wolves (i think) and look where he got them.

I'm confident in Gary Johnson that we can establish ourselves as a mid-table team next season with something to build on. Look at Colchester.....

Allardyce and a shed load of money from an IOM based multi-millionaire, massive debt, new stadium and one or two promotions & relegations on the way.

You clearly don't listen to radio bristol programmes then ???

Radio Bristol, whilst enjoyable, has about 100 regular callers over a season and is hardly representative of the 19,500 that packed AG.Although, in percentage terms it does represent a significantly larger amount of those that attend the Mem to watch the Gas. :whistle2:

In recent years we've had a manager with both Championship and Premiership experience, but he for all his experience couldn't quite deliver at Bristol City.

Just because he has it doesn't mean he will.

Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't.

Very well put.The only honest answer is nobody knows but we will, soon enough.

Commonly heard and engendered by the Bridges, Stewart & Phillips situation.His signings will tell us a lot

why must you have older players? and do all older players have ego's NO, They don't.

I think ego may be the wrong word.You need older players (Carey, Russell & Murray) for their expereince and with experience and maturity, comes confidence.Those players will be "big voices" on the pitch and in the dressing room and there's nothing inherently wrong with that providing that they do what the manager asks and respect his views-Mutual respect is key in management today.

the "big ego"s that he moved out of the club haven't done anything of note between them since they left.

In fairness, Phillips & Stewart have got their teams to the play offs, which seemed unlikely, particularly for the Gas. Yeovil could be a Championship team the same as City and at only the third time of trying, so it's not fair to say they've acheived nothing.Bridges is in The Championship already, just!

it's about signing the right players with the right attitude,

Agreed

attitude is more important than ability, doesn't matter how good a player you can be, if your attitude is all wrong your going to have problems,

it's bound to take some time for both manager & players to adjust - I just hope our fans aren't expecting immediate success!

I think that depends a lot of how much we strengthen.If we didn't sign a player, I'd take 12th or 14th now

If City had had a striker last season with Thorpe's goalscoring abliity then Scunny would have finished second.

We had one-but he was out of form, ill, injured or somewhere else all season

the "big ego"s that he moved out of the club haven't done anything of note between them since they left.

In fairness, Phillips & Stewart have got their teams to the play offs, which seemed unlikely, particularly for the Gas. Yeovil could be a Championship team the same as City and at only the third time of trying, so it's not fair to say they've acheived nothing.Bridges is in The Championship already, just!

however, as said by many on this forum, getting to the play-offs is classed as failure unless you win them, 2 early to judge on that matter, but wouldn't fancy either teams to gain promotion as for Bridges, he's in the championship but not doing much, they are ex-players so what they are doing now doesn't really matter,

however, looking at what's important, their weren't part of succesful team at City, Johnson shipped them out and promotion has been gained, so from that basis, getting rid of the ego's has been a total success.

Archived