IGNORED

Unproven At A Higher Level

potbelly

You clearly don't listen to radio bristol programmes then ???

Since when did a few people selected "at random" by that biased tool Twentypence constitute MOST?

Most = more than half.

Here's a statement with correct usage of the word for future reference:

Most Rovers fans clearly can't count further than the six fingers they each have.

however, as said by many on this forum, getting to the play-offs is classed as failure unless you win them, 2 early to judge on that matter, but wouldn't fancy either teams to gain promotion as for Bridges, he's in the championship but not doing much, they are ex-players so what they are doing now doesn't really matter,

I didn't say it mattered and you brought it up.

however, looking at what's important, their weren't part of succesful team at City, Johnson shipped them out and promotion has been gained, so from that basis, getting rid of the ego's has been a total success.

The end justifies the means.It certainly saved us some money on salaries, that's for sure.

John Ward was short changed. He was - and is the way forward

Getting rid of Ward was a knee jerk reaction, just as things had begun to improve.Replacing him with Lennartson was an even bigger mistake.

Simply put, we don't know what would have happened if he'd have stayed but he certainly couldn't have done any worse than be relegated and I do think we'd have been promoted again far sooner.

Perhaps a lesson that SL should be aware of if things don't go according to plan at the start of next season.

however, as said by many on this forum, getting to the play-offs is classed as failure unless you win them, 2 early to judge on that matter, but wouldn't fancy either teams to gain promotion as for Bridges, he's in the championship but not doing much, they are ex-players so what they are doing now doesn't really matter,

I didn't say it mattered and you brought it up.

ummm, actually you brought up SP, MS, MB, but that's neither here nore there, he got rid of other players with ego's such as them and Heywood after he was rumoured to have hammered Johnson to Swindon fans, he did that for the benefit of the team morale which has been excellent since they left,

we now have a team where everyone was working towards the same goal with no agenda's that TEAM brought us promotion,

as for John Ward, bloke had to go, you can't go public in the papers saying you don't know what your doing, then expect to keep your job, Lennartson was brought in to help Ward, but John threw his toys out the pram because he wanted Harford and walked, THAT COST US RELEGATION, and we have only just recovered now.

ummm, actually you brought up SP, MS, MB,

Not being a pedant but you mentioned Bridges and when you mention the big egos that GJ got rid of, who did you mean if it wasn't MS & SP

but that's neither here nore there, he got rid of other players with ego's such as them and Heywood after he was rumoured to have hammered Johnson to Swindon fans, he did that for the benefit of the team morale which has been excellent since they left,

Agree with morale and I hadn't heard the Swindon story! Heywood would certainly fall into the "failed" category!

we now have a team where everyone was working towards the same goal with no agenda's that TEAM brought us promotion,

Spot On

as for John Ward, bloke had to go, you can't go public in the papers saying you don't know what your doing, then expect to keep your job, Lennartson was brought in to help Ward, but John threw his toys out the pram because he wanted Harford and walked, THAT COST US RELEGATION, and we have only just recovered now.

Lesson for me is that we should have brought in Harford and history proves that right.Surely the manager should pick his coach and should know who's best to help him.Can you imagine SL saying to GJ ten games into next season "I've hired "X" as your coach and Millen's off"........Don't think so.

As for John Ward, bloke had to go, you can't go public in the papers saying you don't know what your doing, then expect to keep your job, Lennartson was brought in to help Ward, but John threw his toys out the pram because he wanted Harford and walked, THAT COST US RELEGATION, and we have only just recovered now.

Agree 100%

Harford wanted silly money and was only prepared to put in a 2 day a week if I remember rightly and thats why the club turned him down. Ward admitted that he was out of his depth.

As for Benny - he had a tough job from the start. He inherited Ward's mess with a bunch of players that weren't upto the job.Add to that Benny's inexperience of English culture and the English game and he was bound to fail. Benny has said since that he was surprised at the attitude of the Britsh players and their apparent indifference to looking after themselves.

Agree 100%

Harford wanted silly money and was only prepared to put in a 2 day a week if I remember rightly and thats why the club turned him down. Ward admitted that he was out of his depth.

So find another experienced coach.Christ if that's how recruitment's handled it's no wonder that we've been in the ***t for years.How much money do you reckon that relegation cost us :disapointed2se:

As for Benny - he had a tough job from the start. He inherited Ward's mess with a bunch of players that weren't upto the job.Add to that Benny's inexperience of English culture and the English game and he was bound to fail. Benny has said since that he was surprised at the attitude of the Britsh players and their apparent indifference to looking after themselves.

Those same British players that won European Cups on the spin like Liverpool, Forest & Villa whilst Sweden, well, they've won.......let me think........ah yes, I've remembered, **** all!!!

Agreed Ward had no expereince of The Championship.........but then we hired another bloke who had no expereince of either English/British Football or The Championship :blink:

British Players like Sebok, Anderson, Andersen, Testimantanu

The mind boggles :disapointed2se:

Those same British players that won European Cups on the spin like Liverpool, Forest & Villa whilst Sweden, well, they've won.......let me think........ah yes, I've remembered, **** all!!!

Agreed Ward had no expereince of The Championship.........but then we hired another bloke who had no expereince of either English/British Football or The Championship :blink:

British Players like Sebok, Anderson, Andersen, Testimantanu

The mind boggles :disapointed2se:

Benny was referring to those British players at City like Doherty.The reason he brought in his 'own' players was because he thought that players with a different were required.Unfortunately it was too little too late.

BTW - three of the four you mention were all internationals - they were by no means crap players. Ivan was never same after his knee ligament injury.

The majority of Twentyman Talks Back callers could not be described as normal Bristol City fans.

Especially Mike from Stockwood.

Guest ashtonyate
The majority of Twentyman Talks Back callers could not be described as normal Bristol City fans.

Especially Mike from Stockwood.

I agreed with a lot of what Mike Said, all City fans are not suburbanite

Two many on this forum have the Kings Cloths scenario and never had the ability to question anything they are told.

To go back to the original topic of this thread, I think we should all just sit back and give the bloke (GJ) a chance rather than doubting him before the season even starts. There was a time when Alex Ferguson had no top flight experience. There was a time when Wayne Rooney had no international experience. There was a time... etc. ...etc. Wait and see.

actually I didn't mention bridges 1st.........anyway, back to the point

When Benny was approached he was supposed employed in just a coaching role/director of football role with an eye from bringing on the young players which he did a great job at doing, worth remembering that prior to City, he's been heavily involved in getting Sweden to 3rd/4th Place at the USA World Cup and had a very good reputation, one which after City he continued to prove, City couldn't find the right man in England for the Job and Davidson came up with with Benny whose CV was excellent reading Ward wasn't happy and walked so Benny became manager.

Benny's problem was the players showed him a complete and utter lack of respect hence his first 2 games we got battered, the problem was Ivan, Sebok or others that he brought in, he actually turned things around, but it was too late, the PLAYERS cost us relegation that year, it was a similar problem to that Johnson suffered early doors where players with ego's wouldn't accept his methods, players such as Tinnion, Carey, Murray, Locke, Cramb seriously let us down that season, can't blame Tommy too much as he spent most of the season injured.

I've said it before and got mocked, but Ivan & Sebok (marked Shearer out of the game at wembley for Hungray) especially was a top class signing but the players around him just weren't upto it and cost us big time.

the biggest failing in our last relegation was John Ward quitting in a huff and players not showing the new man respect, similar to johnson suffered with the 9 game losing run, you say that City wouldn't bring someone in to work with/replace Millen, but it is defo worth noting that at the time we also had a FANTASTIC coach working alongside Ward in Terry Connor until he then later joined Wolves

benny, ahhhhh, what a mixed reception he gets, come the end, played some of the best football I've seen down the gate

did a good job considering he took the job thinking he was going to be helping Ward out only to get dropped in the shit,

personally can't blame the players that he brought in, it was the players that were already their that were the problem, funny thing is after a while they actually realised what a good coach he was and many have praised his methods since, IF ONLY THEY WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED HIM AT THE START, tinnion take note!

point being though, John Ward knew he was out of his depth and admitted it, but was upset he didn't get Harford, he wasn't that an experienced of a manager at the time and tactically wasn't the best, losing goater was a nightmare for him.

Johnson has many bows to his arrow and personally don't think he will suffer the same problems..........at least hope not!

• Admin

Do "most" Bristol City fans ring up Radio Bristol then?

Or is it more of a vocal minority?

Please engage your brain before visiting the red half of Bristol

One word should reply to the original posting:-

LATVIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why have we not been singing, 'we've got an international manager!'

Our Manager is class and will take us to the promised land. As Basso says you should 'always believe'.

I agreed with a lot of what Mike Said, all City fans are not suburbanite

Two many on this forum have the Kings Cloths scenario and never had the ability to question anything they are told.

Oh God, it would be you... :ph34r:

Well you phone up regularly so I agree with you Ron your not normal!! :whistle2:

I chose my words carefully there, I've never rung TWB :D

Archived