IGNORED

Tristan Plummer Signs 2 Year Deal

wookey

The rumours say:

Tristan Plummer the talented Bristol City striker has refused a pro contract at Ashton Gate as he does not feel he will get a chance under Gary Johnston it looks like he will staert next season at Everton stating he would rather play in the Everton reserves than the City reserves.

Any basis in truth?

The rumours say:

Tristan Plummer the talented Bristol City striker has refused a pro contract at Ashton Gate as he does not feel he will get a chance under Gary Johnston it looks like he will staert next season at Everton stating he would rather play in the Everton reserves than the City reserves.

Any basis in truth?

Starting to look like he is another local upstart who, after a few decent minutes for the Academy and England Under 17's, thinks he should be handed a starting berth every week without needing to do too much to justify it. Based upon the way I have seen mediocre players mark him out of reserve team matches let him go to Everton reserves and when he comes back begging for a trial aged 22 we can tell him to **** off. One decent trick in an FA YOUTH CUP match against a bunch of fellow kids from Cheltenham and people seem to think he is Pele.

Of course, I may be wrong and he may sign but he doesn't come across to me as someone with the attitude and desire needed to succeed.

I can see his point. We had a lack of strikers last year, but GJ did not pick JMW a great deal, Benyon was forgotten about, and I suspect Plummer hoped he might just get a chance late on. In addition, Artus was always 'close' to the side but never picked. GJ may well have been right in his selections (The final table as proof), but I can see why Plummer may be reluctant to sign. In truth, he is more likely to make his League debut as a loanee from Everton reserves than by staying at City.

I do find it hard to believe that all of these youngsters are alleged to have a 'bad attitude'.......

I hope that he does sign, as it will be a real coup to our club if we can retain a player of such promise and apparent high regard within the game. If he does decide to leave us, then we may aswell abandon our academy altogether as too many young players have become excessiveley greedy and had their young mind warped by unscrupulous agents.

If Plummer does go, then we should all unite as fans of the club and act to sue his agent! I'm sure there would be a court somewhere we could take our case to.

I can see his point. We had a lack of strikers last year, but GJ did not pick JMW a great deal, Benyon was forgotten about, and I suspect Plummer hoped he might just get a chance late on. In addition, Artus was always 'close' to the side but never picked. GJ may well have been right in his selections (The final table as proof), but I can see why Plummer may be reluctant to sign. In truth, he is more likely to make his League debut as a loanee from Everton reserves than by staying at City.

I do find it hard to believe that all of these youngsters are alleged to have a 'bad attitude'.......

But surely to get picked in the first team you have to show the manager what you can do in training against "first team" players and in reserve team matches. If you can't fulfil that "minor" requirement then you don't deserve a place in any first team in my eyes.

Kids getting heads turned by agents - Southampton seem to have a way of getting a good deal - Gareth Bale and Theo (OMG i'm in the world cup squad) are two examples of club getting a good deal and a good example of if you're good enough you're old enough and if he really really thinks GJ was wrong to go for experience over untried youth in a tight promotion race then perhaps then he doesnt understand the world of football and needs to listen to more than one point of view.

The youngsters are learning the game, but will never develop into First Team players if not selected. I know it's a difficult dilemma, but the kids should really be given some sort of opportunity, even as sub. in the Paint Pot, or perhaps instead of signing useless loanees.

Nick Smith, Barry Corr and Andy Smith? Experience? Quality?

The youngsters are learning the game, but will never develop into First Team players if not selected. I know it's a difficult dilemma, but the kids should really be given some sort of opportunity, even as sub. in the Paint Pot, or perhaps instead of signing useless loanees.

Johnson was happy to give Dave Cotterill plenty of chances. I would guess that the main reason is that the kid was actually good enough to warrant a chance. First team players do not want to be putting in 10% extra every week because they are playing alongside kids who are not good enough to be on the pitch alongside them.

The lad from Birmingham was 18 years of age if my memory serves and not up to the standard required. If you play kids they simply have to be good enough.

Guest ashtonyate

Williams was given a go last season and was out of his dept most of the time, youngster should have the last ten minutes of the game and build up there stamina and strength but they are told how good they are by there agents and think they gods gift and should play for 90 min

I'm hoping we won't be involved in a relegation battle or promotion race next season (well, hopefully we will be in a promotion race, but obviously we won't be), which may lead to youngsters getting more chances as we wouldn't be in such desparate need of points, and then can therefore afford to blood our youngsters a bit more. I think now we're in the championship our academy will prove invaluable, and we mite b able to start to hang onto players like Cotterill and Lita.

I'm hoping we won't be involved in a relegation battle or promotion race next season (well, hopefully we will be in a promotion race, but obviously we won't be), which may lead to youngsters getting more chances as we wouldn't be in such desparate need of points, and then can therefore afford to blood our youngsters a bit more. I think now we're in the championship our academy will prove invaluable, and we mite b able to start to hang onto players like Cotterill and Lita.

Bang on and if there were no playoffs there would be more oppertunity for teams to know they are safe and develop the kids in the last 10 "pointless" games.

Best post on the thread - 110% correct !

Those "useless loanees" were promising Academy youngsters somewhere at one point.

He has the same agent as Leroy has/had if that helps.

No he doesn't have the same agent as Leroy. Whether he is represented by Leroy's previous agent I don't know, but his current agent represents just Richard Keogh at our club.

Have been eagerly awaiting his signiture for months, but I'm getting a bit fed up with the guy now he's had since what January to make up his mind.

I appreciate he wants to make the right decision but it dosen't really say much for his loyalty / appreciation to City.

Come on Tristian sort it out mate !!

At the end of the day some academy players make it, and some don't. But the percentage of players who do is far lower than who don't. I've seen criticism of last year, well the 'loanees' we brought it were only temporary fixes, the guy from birmingham was brought in when murray was injured and actually impressed on his first appearence, was only after he struggled.

Take 3 players who have impressed and made it from the academy, ie Cotterill, Lita and Skuse. They had signed professional contracts before they started, and that is why plummer hasn't been picked. At the end of the day, if we haven't secured his name then why on earth would we parade him in the first team, to be picked for free by some big name club.

Jennison has played at least 30 games this season, which is pretty good for a an ex-academy player. He was taken out of the team because he was overplayed, and his attitude was somewhat negative when substituted. Players like benyon etc were given chances to impress at other clubs, and didn't, which is why they were released. If they can't perform at St albans, i'd rather have a player whos played for Preston, even if he hasn't scored. Its not all about scoring goals, and much like Bas Savage, their attitude aided the team in winning games.

The longer this has gone on, the more I don't want him to sign. If he really feels he will succeed at a premiership or higher club at his age, he should be talking to someone like Joe Anyinsah or Scott Golborne. (not criticising scott at all, as hes a good kid). I reckon plummer has a very good chance of playing next year, much like Artus. But all this hesitation just proves either he, or someone else believes him to be bigger than the club, which is why I haven't got much sympathy.

I always think this sort of situation always ends badly.

Either he walks and we're out of pocket and we never see him play, or he signs and one or two decent games later he wants out again, unsettling the side and messing up plans. If he was committed to this club he'd have signed by now.

JMW at least signed up and took his chance, and although he has had some deserved flack at times, he at least put him self out there to be shot at. He can hold his head up high and say he helped us go up in his first full season, and for that he deserves credit. He'll improve if he continues to play more often and at a higher level with us, which won't happen for Plummer if all he does is pull tricks out on young lads from Chelts.

No he doesn't have the same agent as Leroy. Whether he is represented by Leroy's previous agent I don't know, but his current agent represents just Richard Keogh at our club.

Same agent as Keogh, and Keogh is still unsigned.

I am far more interested in a tried and proven performer like Keogh, than a slip of a boy with a few party tricks.

Lets be realistic about Plummer, for a start he's a year younger than Williams and nearly 2 years behind Artus, who turns 19 in September. Plummers scoring record was nowhere near as good as Williams in reserve grade, so he has yet to prove himself against good senior pros.

Other Academy players will be watching his progress or lack of it, with interest. In any event GJ has shown he wont be messed with by any one player, and the club will always be bigger than a single Plummer.

There are a lot of people on here making strange assumptions about Plummer's character. I think it's more than a little unfair to say a 17 year old kid thinks he's Pele and should be starting every week without anything to base that on.

He might have simply wanted to wait until the end of the season particularly given the tournament he's just played in. He might have looked at the queue for first team places in front of him and decided it's too long and not moving quickly enough and he wants more opportunity. He might have no intention of worrying about it until next year since he still has another year left on the academy.

I hope he signs as he looks a good prospect, I find it a bit strange some people seem to be writing him off as a big time charlie already.

Archived