IGNORED

Latvia For The Week

Bristol Boy

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that you had a wife :whistle2:

The air fare will be about the same and about 50% of it is tax.

Room rates are about £53pp per night inc Breakfast.

There are direct flights to & from Stansted & L'Pool every day.L'pool is cheaper until you factor in parking, hotels etc, for me.

In terms of the sharing Mrs BB says as long as it saves her a job she's quite OK about it.

Well as the forum seems to think we're having an affair you might as well cough up for me too :whistle2:

Anyone on here who went last year care to share their experiences?? was a good crack had by all? what was the ground like etc??

Yep I went last year and it was awsome to say the least. We flew over on BA for about £80 return from Gatwick and stayed for 6 nights. Beer is cheap, woman are stunning, and I mean Stunning, weather is great in july, beachs nearby, very cheap public transport. We stayed in a youth hostel at about £8 per night.

As for the football, it was good to play some teams in the middle of their season but they arent exactly quality teams, although Skonto do usually play Champions league qualifying and have played the like of Barca, Inter and Real Madrid in years gone by.

The picture I have attched is the Skonto fans as the teams came out. You have to bear in mind this was a 2pm kick off on a Tuesday afternoon! We had deep fried garlic bread at 5p a slice at half time with a beer, quality! During the second match, we were even allowed onto the pitch at half time to have a kick about. The players and fans were great, allowing us into the dugout before matchs to chat and to mix with the players afterwards!

Id strongly advise this to anyone. I was shocked less than 2 dozen city fans made the trip last year, I hope there will be more this time. It was embarassing having to get Hibs fans to help us cheer (they were playing a intertoto game in latvia that week)

I will be there!

p.s the other picture are all the city fans who made the trip! YEP thats all of us!

post-5465-1180985457_thumb.jpg

post-5465-1180985485.jpg

I'm seriously thinking of going for the weekend but with the Missus as we have that week booked off work, I wonder what she would think if coincidently city were playing!!!

MAJOR TIP, do NOT take the missus, IF you do, I hope she doesnt mind you looking at other woman. I mean the woman out number the blokes at least 20-1 and they are stunning! You cant help but look! :innocent06:

P.S anyone looking for flights, try ryanair form Liverpool, cheapest option out there

Yep I went last year and it was awsome to say the least. We flew over on BA for about £80 return from Gatwick and stayed for 6 nights. Beer is cheap, woman are stunning, and I mean Stunning, weather is great in july, beachs nearby, very cheap public transport. We stayed in a youth hostel at about £8 per night.

As for the football, it was good to play some teams in the middle of their season but they arent exactly quality teams, although Skonto do usually play Champions league qualifying and have played the like of Barca, Inter and Real Madrid in years gone by.

The picture I have attched is the Skonto fans as the teams came out. You have to bear in mind this was a 2pm kick off on a Tuesday afternoon! We had deep fried garlic bread at 5p a slice at half time with a beer, quality! During the second match, we were even allowed onto the pitch at half time to have a kick about. The players and fans were great, allowing us into the dugout before matchs to chat and to mix with the players afterwards!

Id strongly advise this to anyone. I was shocked less than 2 dozen city fans made the trip last year, I hope there will be more this time. It was embarassing having to get Hibs fans to help us cheer (they were playing a intertoto game in latvia that week)

I will be there!

p.s the other picture are all the city fans who made the trip! YEP thats all of us!

Okay, I'm the fat bloke in the City shirt in Matts first picture and I helped arrange our trip last year, I've also just arrived back from a weekend in Riga today so here goes.

The beer in most bars in the old town are still around the £1.50 mark and there are plenty of bars. When searching for a hotel try to find a hotel with a 1010 or 1050 postcode as these are either in or very near Old Riga. Youth hostels are fine but you often end up sharing with anything up to 14 people in a dorm room and if one inconsiderate person snores then it can be hell.

Old Riga has plenty of sightseeing opportunities if that is your thing or you can get the train to Majoir for just over a pound and spend the day sat on golden sand, drinking beer ogling stunning women.

The two football stadiums we went to last year were a little way out of the centre but are accessable by bus at 30p per ride.

Beware of the Strip bars!! most of them are very dodgy and you can end up having a gun pointed at you. The reputable ones are Dolls and Jockeys and they are not cheap. Last night entrance into Dolls was £15 and £6 per pint but the show was good.

If anyone would like further information please I'm me.

Matt, any luck with our arrangements yet?

Can you remember what days the games were played on last time mate, we have booked to go for the weekend and fly back Monday, the western daily said they were playing Skonta on the Sunday but now the Official site is saying that nothing has been agreed!!! bit worried now, surely there will be one game on either the Saturday or Sunday???

If I remember rightly the Skonto game was on the Sunday with the second game on the Monday and the last game on the Thursday but I wouldn't swear to it. I have a poster in my work office with the date of the Skonto game on it so I can definitely answer tomorrow.

cheers fella! what was the ground like for the Skonta game?

The ground was okay, they only opened the main stand for us which is the equivalent of the Main stand at Northampton. The tunnel is behind the left hand goal as yo sit and they have a stand which goes behind that goal and all the way down the opposite side of the ground. The fourth stand is temporary seating that was not used.

Entrance fees are ridiculously cheap £1.50-£2 and you can buy a pint inside and take it into the stand.

I preferred the ground for the second game as it was an old fashioned Soviet stadium as you'd imagine it. It was crumbling and had huge floodlights and there was a train track running behind the far side.

Beware of the Strip bars!! most of them are very dodgy and you can end up having a gun pointed at you. The reputable ones are Dolls and Jockeys and they are not cheap. Last night entrance into Dolls was £15 and £6 per pint but the show was good.

I'm a strip club???

:blink:

will the club be making any arrangements for fans for the tour or not?

I doubt the club will arrange anything as they may not have the resource. Remember they would organise a plane for Middlesbrough away so can't see them doing a whole trip. Arrange it yourself or travel with some of the other groups, it's much more fun. My friends and I have just sat down to discuss our plans and we'll be booking everything this week.

Yesterday I said I'd confirm which day the Skonto game was last year and it was the Sunday. It could be worth checking their website as their league fixtures may indicate when the game is.

Given that City will be playing three games, as per last season Sun, Tues, Thurs which will probably mean utilising the squad or in common parlance giving everyone a game-who fancies a week in Latvia?

Flights from Liverpool £29.98

Choice of Hotels for seven nights 3*-5* £300-£800-You pays your money....

Some Hostels-Cheaper Hotels etc

I was thinking about going for the weekend but Fri-Mon lets you see one game :noexpression:

Perhaps those who made the trip last year could advise?

Who's up for it?

So you are thinking of paying a similar amount to watch one game of football in Latvia as it will cost for 23 matches down the Gate in the coming season!!! No wonder Sextone put the prices up!!

By the way, I'm all for people enjoying themselves and doing this kind of stuff.

Given that City will be playing three games, as per last season Sun, Tues, Thurs which will probably mean utilising the squad or in common parlance giving everyone a game-who fancies a week in Latvia?

Flights from Liverpool £29.98

Choice of Hotels for seven nights 3*-5* £300-£800-You pays your money....

Some Hostels-Cheaper Hotels etc

I was thinking about going for the weekend but Fri-Mon lets you see one game :noexpression:

Perhaps those who made the trip last year could advise?

Who's up for it?

A'm for sure considering coming over with Ryanair from Stockholm. Have talked to the few Swedish City fans I know (2) about joining me but no positive respons so far. Anyone knows the teams we played last year? Think it was Skonto Riga, a "mixed U-21 team" and Ventspils or was it Jurmala? Might play the same teams again. Coulden't find anything at the homepage.

Hope to have a pint with fellow City fans.

A'm for sure considering coming over with Ryanair from Stockholm. Have talked to the few Swedish City fans I know (2) about joining me but no positive respons so far. Anyone knows the teams we played last year? Think it was Skonto Riga, a "mixed U-21 team" and Ventspils or was it Jurmala? Might play the same teams again. Coulden't find anything at the homepage.

Hope to have a pint with fellow City fans.

skonto, olymps, Jurmala.

Jurmala had a nice beach, very hot as well throughout the week, forget about fur hats.

party time in riga as skonto unveil new kit

I will be there!

I would've probably gone last year if I hadn't already spent the best part of £2,500 following England in Germany for the World Cup. I dare say a fare few hundred, if not a thousand, were in the same boat to me as well. Hibs fans were most probably there in their numbers because Ireland or Scotland were nowhere to be seen in Germany. :englandsmile4wf:

Saying that, if I can get the time off work and do it relatively cheaply, I'm seriously considering this...

Are the majority of City fans staying in Riga all the nights, or will you relocate with the team?? I think I'll might be coming!!

Kjetil

Kjetil

Last year the team stayed in Riga for the whole week at the National Sports Academy. The final game was at Jurmala which is 10KM from Riga and is easily accessable from Riga. With that in mind our group is basing ourselves in Riga for the week and will travel from there.

Regards

Alan

Thanx a lot, mate!

I'm seriously thinking about going. Any idea about area/hotel the majority of the supporters will be staying at? Would be cool to join you there, since I'll probably be travelling alone from Norway.

Cheers,

Kjetil

Kjetil

Last year the team stayed in Riga for the whole week at the National Sports Academy. The final game was at Jurmala which is 10KM from Riga and is easily accessable from Riga. With that in mind our group is basing ourselves in Riga for the week and will travel from there.

Regards

Alan

Thanx a lot, mate!

I'm seriously thinking about going. Any idea about area/hotel the majority of the supporters will be staying at? Would be cool to join you there, since I'll probably be travelling alone from Norway.

Cheers,

Kjetil

Hi!

Very good. At least to Scandinavians then. Would be nice to stay at the same hotel as the rest of the pack!

Tommy

Archived