IGNORED

50 Points To Stay Up

B-Rizzle

Just been on Sky Sports website and looked at the championship finishing tables for the last 7 years. Here is a list of what the lowest surviving team finished on:

06/07 - Hull - 49 points

05/06 - QPR - 50 points

04/05 - Crewe - 50 points

03/04 - Gills - 51 points

02/03 - Stoke - 50 points

01/02 - Rotherham - 49 points

00/01 - Palace - 49 points

Looking at this it shows we're going to need about 50 points, thats a lot to get. Its going to be a very long and hard season.

Thoughts?

personally I want at least 50 points by easter, looking at the run in, we can't go into the last few games needing points! because it is going to be one hell of a tough run in if we are struggling!

Yes, we certainly wouldnt want to go into the last few games needing points thats for sure

For me looking at the fixture list this morning it finally sunk in that we are going to be playing in the Championship. Every game is massive! I look at the fixture list and see QPR on the first day and think thats a tough game. But they are one of the teams we need to be beating if we want to stay up.

We're in for a real treat this season with some massive games, we're certainly going to have to play our part as fans and be that 12th man!

:city:

i am delighted we got easy teams in the first 3 or 4 games of the season.

we win most of those games then the pressure won't get to us as much going into the fatter games.

They certainly aren't easy.

I agree that they are games we need to win but we need to realise that none of our games are easy! After all the teams you classify as easy such as scunny and blackpool. scunny finished above us last season and blackpool thrashed us at home.

Its going to be a tough season, mark my words chrissy!

ok then. If thats what you think than we're sit comfortabley somewhere at the top of the championship at the end of august.

it's all about Confidence againest the bigger teams and a good start to the season will do confidence a big favour.

I guess we have nothing to lose really in the big games. The pressure is on when we face the likes of blackpool, scunny, qpr, hull, colchester etc. becayse we need wins against them.

We have a chance of picking up points against the big guns because we can just go out and play freely as we're not expected to win.

As I posted on the other 50pts thread...

98-99 season (last time we were in the C'ship), City were bottom with P46 W9 D15 L22 F57 A80 Pts42.

Swindon amassed 50pts and had seven clubs beneath them! P46 W13 D11 L22 F59 A81 Pts50

They lost as many as City had and both teams scored & conceded roughly the same number of goals. The difference was they won four games that City only drew.

Just been on Sky Sports website and looked at the championship finishing tables for the last 7 years. Here is a list of what the lowest surviving team finished on:

06/07 - Hull - 49 points

05/06 - QPR - 50 points

04/05 - Crewe - 50 points

03/04 - Gills - 51 points

02/03 - Stoke - 50 points

01/02 - Rotherham - 49 points

00/01 - Palace - 49 points

Looking at this it shows we're going to need about 50 points, thats a lot to get. Its going to be a very long and hard season.

Thoughts?

I agree that our initial target has to be 50 points and have been running the fixtures through the mainframe at Well_Red Towers this afternoon with that in mind. GJ likes to break the season up into 10-game chunks, setting a target for each chunk. I have done the same here, working on the basis that we will need 12 points from each 10 game chunk over the first 40 games of the season. Our hideous looking run-in means we cannot afford to go into the last six games looking for more than 2 or 3 points.

Here are my forecasts:

QPR (h) 3pts

Blackpool (a) 1pt

S****horpe (h) 1pt

Sheff Wed (a) 0pts

Coventry (a) 1pt

WBA (h) 1pt

Burnley (h) 3pts

Preston (a) 0pts

Barnsley (a) 1pt

Sheff Utd (h) 1pt

1st 10 game chunk = 12 points

Norwich (a) 0pts

Southampton (h) 0pts

Stoke (h) 3pts take that Pulis!

Wolves (a) 0pts

Charlton (h) 1pt

Ipswich (a) 1pt

Leicester (h) 3pts

Hull (a) 1pt

Watford (a) 0pts

Ipswich (h) 3pts

2nd 10 game chunk = 12 points (24 in total)

Plymouth (a) 0pts

Cardiff (h) 1pt

Barnsley (h) 3pts

WBA (a) 0pts

Burnley (a) 1pt

Coventry (h) 3pts

Colchester (h) 3pts

Crystal Palace (a) 0pts

Blackpool (h) 1pt

QPR (a) 1pt

3rd 10-game chunk = 13 points (37 in total)

Sheff Wed (h) 1pt

S****horpe (a) 0pts

Crystal Palace (h) 3pts

Colchester (0) 0pts

Hull (h) 3pts

Charlton (a) 0pts

Leicester (a) 1pt

Watford (h) 1pt

Plymouth (h) 1pt

Cardiff (a) 0pts

4th 10-game chunk = 10 points (47 in total)

Norwich (h) 1pt

Southampton (a) 0pts

Wolves (h) 1pt

Stoke (a) 0pts

Sheff Utd (a) 0pts

Preston (h) 1pt

Final 6 games = 3 points

GRAND TOTAL = 50 POINTS

14 wins is enough=52 points. Johnson should focus on his 10 match blocks again and what is achievable.

I touched on this last week, and mentioned 50 points as 1.1 point a game average. In our first block of 10 I suggested we had the opportunity to come out fast and get between 12-15 points.

Our second block of 10 is a real hard core Championship reality check, and I think we will be struggling to reach 10 points.

As mentioned, we only have to score more than the other team. I will feel more confident when we have some solid meat and potatoes strikers signed up. They score and it will take a lot of heat off of our overworked defence who literally carried us to promotion last season

Archived